Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Ok, this is some pretty disgusting trolling. She remembers him, that isn't the sort of thing you forget. I have never told anyone about it when it wasn't anonymous, but I was sexually assaulted when I was 17 years old, during my initial entry training in the army. I am a male, I don't want anything to do with the label that comes with it, I don't want that part of my story to ever be part of my life. I have very deliberately forced myself to forget about it, I don't want that experience to be a part of who I am. I don't really remember any details, far less then Dr. Ford remembers, and it was only 12 years ago. But I remember that fuckers face. I will never forget it, and if I ever see him on the news getting nominated for anything then I don't know if I would come forward... but I would do something.
    I can see that. But at the same time as an outsider, I can't trust either side to tell the complete truth. I can't trust your memory to be 100% correct with his face or name. It's the same with the one who did it to you. I can't trust him either. But with no details and no real information I can't take an accusation seriously either.
    You might not be one of them, but there are people who will mix it up and mistake these things.

https://apnews.com/cf5fc72491eb41bfbee33f43a9b1262b

Again, more proof that the White House intentionally hamstrung and limited the scope of the FBI investigation initially, lied about it, and then lifted the restrictions only after media reported on them and the administration started facing heavy public criticism.

This is why press scrutiny is important. This isn't being "unfair" to Trump nor "FAKE NEWS". This is a big reason why the free press is so important. Because they exist to check the government when they lie about dumb shit like this.

If you think pinning someone to a bed and trying to take off her clothes while she struggles is nothing, you are a pretty horrible person yourself. And you are right, I didn't have much support for him at all. I had no loyalty to him, I looked at what I knew of him and said "Sure, he will be fine". Then when the allegations came up I said "Maybe not then". Finally I saw his testimony and said "Oh Hell no!"
    It's also not like it's some partisan hit. If someone like Barrett or Hardiman were nominated, they would have been passed through in a week with multiple Democrats voting yes, just like Gorsuch.

Kavanaugh is just a douche with a paper trail and skeletons in his closet which is why McConnell and Grassley railed against his nomination to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Former classmates on the Ramirez side claiming to have text messages and evidence of Kavanaugh and people in Kavanaugh's camp contacting classmates as far back as July asking them to go on the record defending him in case allegations came up. Meaning it blows a hole in his story of not knowing about the allegations until the news broke the story, perjured himself, and would prove intent of a cover up.
    So, that seems huge. And horrible. How did he know allegations were going to come up I wonder?

Meanwhile, Collins has demanded that Swetnick be included where Trump had previously ordered the FBI to cut her out which would have resulted in Avenatti going to the media. Now that Collins has demanded her involvement, they won't have a choice given the investigation's sole purpose was to provide cover for Collins and Murkowski to vote yes.
    It's depressing that this whole shitfest has come so close to putting a rapist on the SCOTUS (and still might). Glad at least some of the female Senators actually care about their gender still.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://apnews.com/cf5fc72491eb41bfbee33f43a9b1262b

Again, more proof that the White House intentionally hamstrung and limited the scope of the FBI investigation initially, lied about it, and then lifted the restrictions only after media reported on them and the administration started facing heavy public criticism.

This is why press scrutiny is important. This isn't being "unfair" to Trump nor "FAKE NEWS". This is a big reason why the free press is so important. Because they exist to check the government when they lie about dumb shit like this.
    The Senate Judiciary Committee requested a limited-scope FBI investigation, and that's what the White House ordered. After pushback, the White House appears to have eased that limited scope. This is the White House being cooperative with Democrats, Edge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He killed it with the cold open.
    Indeed. I can't even watch the actual hearing anymore without seeing and hearing Matt Damon.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't mind even if he didn't become scotus.
    Two very credible allegations? How can you support him, if allegations of this level make you think he is a monster? The allegations are nothing if you read up on what they say. I don't think you had much support for him at all, since you are standing by women you don't know against a guy you 'supported'.
    The spinelessness and lies I can see making you dislike him. Still out of proportion for what is happening. Seems like his whole life is being destroyed for this. He is obviously qualified for his current job. He was even rated as an outstanding judge when he started off. It's just not right to have his reputation destroyed because of this.
    That is the risk you take when you put yourself into the spotlight like that. And this guy could have easily withdrawn at the start and still been good but the longer he stayed in the spotlight, the longer the world looked at him.

And the more he lied and pulled his crap, the worse people started to think of him.

If he had been honest and said yes he drank like a fish and was a frat boy in college and high school, he could have said he was a man whore in high school and screwed everything that moved if they life him. He could has said all of that, he could admit to a 3-some and taking alcohol up the butt and it all would have been dismissed as a college boy cutting up and living life. But when he started lying about it while being looked into for sexual crimes, that turned on him bad and he has no one to blame but himself.

And the more that seems to come out, the more it looks like he actually did it with all he has done and the new story about him trying to contact people to cut this story off before it even became public for him to know about it unless he has a mole feeding him information early.

Deleted
    If you think pinning someone to a bed and trying to take off her clothes while she struggles is nothing, you are a pretty horrible person yourself. And you are right, I didn't have much support for him at all. I had no loyalty to him, I looked at what I knew of him and said "Sure, he will be fine". Then when the allegations came up I said "Maybe not then". Finally I saw his testimony and said "Oh Hell no!"
    She was struggling. She even said Kavanaugh turned the music on loud so her screams wouldn't be heard downstairs.
    What I'm saying is I can't believe her any more than I can believe Kavanaugh. I can't think of Kavanaugh as a monster when a woman I don't know anything about comes and accuses him. When she can't even say anything about the event itself. Even her long time friend who was there, says she doesn't ever remember being in a party like that with Kavanaugh.
    As the information we have is, Kavanaugh's innocent is the more likely scenario for me. His personality is a different thing, but still a very capable man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    The Senate Judiciary Committee requested a limited-scope FBI investigation, and that's what the White House ordered. After pushback, the White House appears to have eased that limited scope. This is the White House being cooperative with Democrats, Edge.
    There's a difference between limited and what they were trying to pull. Initial reports were that Don McGahn authorized only 4 people to be interviewed and no leads could be followed up on. After that hit the front page of the news, they're walking it back as it blows holes in the investigation's purpose.

They want a limited investigation so the FBI isn't digging up unrelated skeletons and to provide cover for Collins and Murkowski. But McGahn ordered it so limited that it was about to explode in their face if they didn't walk it back.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Nobody would ever get a job if they were judged based on their actions in High School. Now if hes done it after he was 18, then by all means he should not be confirmed. But Im also not willing to hang a guy with no proof other than he said she said
    I got A's in high school, a few B's, and didn't drink until 19 (I was in Canada). I did do some underage drinking in college, but I managed to not sexually assault any girls in the process.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    That is the risk you take when you put yourself into the spotlight like that. And this guy could have easily withdrawn at the start and still been good but the longer he stayed in the spotlight, the longer the world looked at him.

And the more he lied and pulled his crap, the worse people started to think of him.

If he had been honest and said yes he drank like a fish and was a frat boy in college and high school, he could have said he was a man whore in high school and screwed everything that moved if they life him. He could has said all of that, he could admit to a 3-some and taking alcohol up the butt and it all would have been dismissed as a college boy cutting up and living life. But when he started lying about it while being looked into for sexual crimes, that turned on him bad and he has no one to blame but himself.

And the more that seems to come out, the more it looks like he actually did it with all he has done and the new story about him trying to contact people to cut this story off before it even became public for him to know about it unless he has a mole feeding him information early.
    He did say he drank a lot of alcohol. Too much at times. He even said he was known for throwing up often because of it. The only thing he denied is not remembering why he woke up where he was. And denying not remembering what he had done the night before. That's completely believable for me.

That other stuff yeah. Classic politics. As I said I don't mind him not getting to scotus. All this being so public is the bad part I'd say.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I got A's in high school, a few B's, and didn't drink until 19 (I was in Canada). I did do some underage drinking in college, but I managed to not sexually assault any girls in the process.
    Maybe Orlong sexually assaulted a few girls in high school? *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

Dude, seriously, what drugs are you on to come up with that conclusion?

Are you acting, does your IP address trace back to Russia? Seriously.

Some people here are probably really pissed that rape doesn't get a free pass....fans of Bill Cosby I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    So, that seems huge. And horrible. How did he know allegations were going to come up I wonder?

It's depressing that this whole shitfest has come so close to putting a rapist on the SCOTUS (and still might). Glad at least some of the female Senators actually care about their gender still.
    That raises a big question. I wonder if happened similar to Ford. She knew Kavanaugh was on the short list of picks in July and sent her letter. People in Kavanaugh's social circle from that time might have started chattering about it as well and Kavanaugh caught wind. A lot of them are apparently still in text and email groups together. It's not unlikely that they found out at the start of July, started talking between each other about what kind of douchey shit he might have done, Kav caught wind, then by the end of July had his people getting on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    Hypothetical question for everyone:

You manage a daycare and are looking to hire a new employee. A man, let's call him Bart, applies for the job. At first glance, Bart seems to be everything you're looking for in a new employee. But then you discover that Bart has been accused by three separate, completely independent people of molesting them. Also, dozens of people who know Bart have come forward to let you know that, while they did not witness any molestation, Bart was lying to you when he said he was a responsible person, and that they witnessed numerous times him doing completely irresponsible shit. Bart reacts with extreme hostility and disdain for you when you question him about this.

Do you hire Bart to work in your daycare?
    It depends. Does Bart keep a detailed calendar that collaborates his claims? Does he like beer? Did he work out with Corbin, BJ and Squeeb? And does he like beer? What type of beer does he like? Does he drink Heineken? When he says he likes American, does he speak of microbreweries, pisswater like Coors, or maybe a boston beer like Sam Adams? Lagers or Stouts? And does he boof?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    He did say he drank a lot of alcohol. Too much at times. He even said he was known for throwing up often because of it. The only thing he denied is not remembering why he woke up where he was. And denying not remembering what he had done the night before. That's completely believable for me.

That other stuff yeah. Classic politics. As I said I don't mind him not getting to scotus. All this being so public is the bad part I'd say.
    You just completely passed over the meat of that post to cherry pick. Read it again please.

I thought he acted as well as a man could after being accused of gang rape and sexual assault, "breathlessly reported by the media". After being called "evil" by a member on the committee, after death threats to his wife... I think he did fine, Edge. A cold and emotionless denial would have struck me as odd, to be frank.
    No, he wasn't called evil. Cory Booker called his supporters "complicit in evil", but never specifically called Kavanaugh evil. And that came after Kavanaugh's unhinged opening comments, complete with crying (which is apparently only disqualifying for women), partisan attacks, conspiracy theories, and angry shouting.

Remember: Ford has been subjected to many of the same things. She's had her character savagely attacked as Kavanaugh has. She's been dragged into the public spotlight in a way she never wanted as Kavanaugh has. She and her family have been threatened and harassed as Kavanaugh and his family have.

How was she able to maintain her composure, refrain from yelling, refrain from insulting and disrespecting Senators, refrain from evading questions, refrain from partisan attacks, and refrain from conspiracy theories? How was she able to do this but Kavanaugh wasn't, and Kavanaugh's behavior is viewed as acceptable? The hearing was essentially a harsh job interview - and if anyone I ever interviewed engaged in any of the behavior he did they'd instantly be thrown out. And this is for a lifetime position on the highest court in the land, standards are much higher than just about anywhere else.

As for Thomas, he did go after his opposition on the committee:

"Second, and I think a more important point, I think that this today is a travesty. I think that it is disgusting. I think that this hearing should never occur in America. This is a case in which this sleaze, this dirt was searched for by staffers of members of this committee, was then leaked to the media, and this committee and this body validated it and displayed it in prime time over our entire Nation."
    Delivered with a measured tone, if memory serves. Also missing, the partisan angle. He was directing it to the whole process and the hearing, not attacking a specific party as Kavanaugh did.

And the famous line:

"And from my standpoint, as a black American, as far as I am concerned, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity-blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that, unless you kow-tow to an old order, this is what will happen to you, you will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate, rather than hung from a tree."
    Again, even with the more sensational nature of the comments, it's not directed towards either party in particular but is rather expressing his frustration with the process. That's fair and again, if memory serves he did not angrily shout these lines but rather delivered them with a measured composure. Something that Kavanaugh was seemingly unable to do throughout almost his whole testimony.

Clearly levying this accusation at his opposition on the committee.
    If you read between the lines, sure. But the important parts are that it was neither explicitly targeting a party - something I don't believe any SCOTUS nominee has done - nor was it shouted angrily as part of an unhinged rant.

And he's afforded a certain amount of righteous anger if he's innocent, absolutely, and to speculate about what he thinks is happening. He's not at the hearing judging a case, he's defending his name and his future.
    And Kavanaugh would be to. But not to the point where he openly and repeatedly disrespects Senators and flippantly ignores and refuses to answer their questions. That's unacceptable.

https://qz.com/1407138/trump-orders-...enate-hearing/

Yup, I should have been more precise that Republicans intentionally hamstrung the investigation, not just Trump.

“I’ve ordered the FBI to conduct a supplemental investigation to update Judge Kavanaugh’s file,” Trump said in a statement today (Sept. 28). “As the Senate has requested, this update must be limited in scope and completed in less than one week.”
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-brett-n915061

Reports that Trump denied the limitations of the investigation over the weekend. Literally what Trump said. Also, literally a lie as we've seen today.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-10-01 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It's also not like it's some partisan hit. If someone like Barrett or Hardiman were nominated, they would have been passed through in a week with multiple Democrats voting yes, just like Gorsuch.

Kavanaugh is just a douche with a paper trail and skeletons in his closet which is why McConnell and Grassley railed against his nomination to begin with.
    And the only reason they don't drop him, is because they want to seat him before the Gamble V United States case. Which would help Trump because he could pardon everyone in the Mueller investigation, and save them from state charges that Mueller has in his back pocket. Which would effectively end the Mueller investigation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    You just completely passed over the meat of that post to cherry pick. Read it again please.
    No I didn't. I addresses it at the end.

It's not right for his whole reputation to be ruined because of this. I hope he'll at least have his current job.