Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    You have to wonder why he even accepted the SCOTUS nomination. The golden rule of criminality is - don't attract attention to yourself. Yet these degenerates (Trump, Moore, and now Kavanaugh) run for high office as if running for positions of high office aren't going to put your past under a harsh spotlight.
    Because they feel that in today's political climate that they would have easily gotten a pass. And had it been another corrupt shitstain as president, it's likely he would have gone through anyways.

But because we're coming up on mid terms and protection of Trump is riding on retaining their majority, they can't risk it on people like Kavanaugh. McConnell and Grassley specifically begged Trump to not put this guy up due to his skeletons and paper trail. They could have easily rammed through another Gorsuch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Yeah, I suppose, but it tarnishes his legitimacy. I suppose "toast" isn't accurate, but he's not going to be better off for having gone through this if it's not true, to put it lightly.
    If he is appointed, it will have no effect on his life, beyond your example above... just being a random punchline. His career and gravity of his judgment will not feel any impact from this.

Think of it this way... someone on this forum told me that events from 2013 were too old to mater. I bet if appointed, he will be in office through 2030. Fuck... knowing my habits, he will probably serve after I am dead...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I honestly think the rockstar move would have been to nominate Merrick Garland, and am wholly opposed to a lopsided Supreme Court. I just happen to also believe that we should treat Kavanaugh fairly with these serious allegations.

Edit: Also, I don't think Anita Hill's accusations were credible.
    There's more chance that pigs fly than Donald Trump nominates Merrick Garland, Trump had better easier options and the republicans told him so but he wanted a guy to cover for him. The supreme court is going to go extreme right but for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. The amount of destruction these actions will do to the future of the republican party will be felt for a long time. I didn't think the republican party was going to die after Obama, i thought it was silly but destroying Roe V. Wade, gay rights and a bunch of social issues will do it no future generation will want to vote for people that did this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    There's more chance that pigs fly than Donald Trump nominates Merrick Garland, Trump had better easier options and the republicans told him so but he wanted a guy to cover for him. The supreme court is going to go extreme right but for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. The amount of destruction these actions will do to the future of the republican party will be felt for a long time. I didn't think the republican party was going to die after Obama, i thought it was silly but destroying Roe V. Wade, gay rights and a bunch of social issues will do it no future generation will want to vote for people that did this.
    People need to understand that this a Trump nominee, that will also fall in line with GOP. It’s not a GOP puck that Trump is pushing as party loyalty.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
    It's waiting in the courtroom. This is such a limp dick excuse for wrongdoing. He's interviewing for a job and innocent until proven guilty has NEVER applied in interviews.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

I dunno, it just seems like a really good way to wreck someone unfairly. The accusations need to be substantiated or credible imo.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...isconduct.html

Yeah but like...damn man, laying the groundwork back in 2012 during a therapy session with her husband? That's why I'm far more inclined to believe her than any random allegation - she's got records of discussing this that long predate her letter to Feinstein or any public discussion. That alone lends a huge amount of credibility to her accusation.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Even without the accusation Kavanaugh was a bad choice, he is a swamp creature from Washington and has a lot of skeletons in his closet. There's a reason republicans did not want this guy as the nominee but Trump needed someone to cover him in case his crimes go to the supreme court. If he had picked anyone else they would have gotten confirmed no problem with 2 "moderate" democrats even voting for that person.
    I am sure the dems would have found something in that persons past. When all else fails just make shit up, like they did with Clarence Thomas, saying he “doesn’t think like a black”, “emotionally white”

The shit show of confirmation is a disgusting display from both sides of what is wrong with politics and why you wont get good quality people in government. They are all scum, so why should I be shocked when they dig up event where they were scum in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I am sure the dems would have found something in that persons past. When all else fails just make shit up, like they did with Clarence Thomas, saying he “doesn’t think like a black”, “emotionally white”

The shit show of confirmation is a disgusting display from both sides of what is wrong with politics and why you wont get good quality people in government. They are all scum, so why should I be shocked when they dig up event where they were scum in the past?
    False see when Trump listened to people instead of trying to save his ass with the last supreme court nominee HE GOT DEMOCRATIC VOTES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah but like...damn man, laying the groundwork back in 2012 during a therapy session with her husband? That's why I'm far more inclined to believe her than any random allegation - she's got records of discussing this that long predate her letter to Feinstein or any public discussion. That alone lends a huge amount of credibility to her accusation.
    I think people don’t really understand the cost of people reporting these. They glamorize it as some sort of publicity stunt. When in reality... it’s that feeling you wake up with, when you have a nightmare of standing naked in front of class... just much more intense, in reality, in public... its not worth it for publicity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I think people don’t really understand the cost of people reporting these. They glamorize it as some sort of publicity stunt. When in reality... it’s that feeling you wake up with, when you have a nightmare of standing naked in front of class... just much more intense, in reality, in public... its not worth it for publicity.
    It's far worse than that. These women who come out publicly get harassed, get death threats, and in some cases, thankfully rare, end up victims (again) of violence. And in the age of Trump and his deranged supporters I'd never want to put a target on myself like that. Let's hope she can get some bodyguards or other protection to ward off the actions of Cult45.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Plus the side order of harassment that gets thrown your way from whichever "side" doesn't like the accusations.

Yeah, I suppose, but it tarnishes his legitimacy. I suppose "toast" isn't accurate, but he's not going to be better off for having gone through this if it's not true, to put it lightly.
    Just like Clarence Thomas, Kavanaugh will be unrepentant.

He wants the Supreme Court seat, and he's not going to care one whit about what his enemies think of him after he gets it. Kavanaugh has always been a hardcore partisan.
    Even reading through his non-scandalous documents shows this part of Kavanaugh's character.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Harvey View Post
    Poor liberals are terrified of a well educated competent man.
    Aren't the GOP usually the ones terrified of education? If he's well educated then he must be part of the Deep State shadow lizards.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Drudge linked to a no-byline blog post that had all sorts of information about Christine Ford except it was the wrong Christine Ford and now she's getting harassed. Erick Erickson is peddling a story that this is a revenge plot against Kavanaugh's mother, also a judge, who presided over a foreclosure case involving Ford's parents except once you read the court documents you see that Mother Kavanaugh ruled in favor of the Fords.

Conservatism is nothing more than stupidity in service of evil.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2018-09-18 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Just like Clarence Thomas, Kavanaugh will be unrepentant.

He wants the Supreme Court seat, and he's not going to care one whit about what his enemies think of him after he gets it. Kavanaugh has always been a hardcore partisan.
    Even reading through his non-scandalous documents shows this part of Kavanaugh's character.
    All this feigned indignation about sexual harassment and sexual assault from the same government officials that have a secret fund to pay out sexual harassment, assault and racism claims without the public knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really want to have a conversation with the Evangelicals. I watched the Vice segment on they way they feel about Trump administration and its telling. You have those who see the hypocrisy and incompatability with that of what they teach and Trumpism. Then there are those who admittingly say they are turning a blind eye to what they say they are all about to push an agenda.

Secular, religious , whatever. Is it worth stepping on your own principle, one of the only things of yours you can stand by in this world, is it worth trading that just to get a conservative on the bench? And for what? Maybe one bone measure he might throw you? Why not demand better from your aisle? Why not listen to say a liberal with less skeletons in their closet and fingers in their pocket?

Why bargain with the devil for a little short term comfort?

You can't fault Kavanaugh or other deceitful people when they act their nature when you provided them a platform.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Harvey View Post
    Poor liberals are terrified of a well educated competent man.
    Literally everyone on or nominated for the bench is educated...Take a particular (lack of) education to believe the left is afraid of a smart person on the bench.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

What I dont get is why Feinstein waited until the very last minute to bring up this allegation, when she had the letter in her hands for over 6 weeks? It reeks of partisan hackery

The accuser should be heard, but this is all very unusual timing.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I really want to have a conversation with the Evangelicals. I watched the Vice segment on they way they feel about Trump administration and its telling. You have those who see the hypocrisy and incompatability with that of what they teach and Trumpism. Then there are those who admittingly say they are turning a blind eye to what they say they are all about to push an agenda.

Secular, religious , whatever. Is it worth stepping on your own principle, one of the only things of yours you can stand by in this world, is it worth trading that just to get a conservative on the bench? And for what? Maybe one bone measure he might throw you? Why not demand better from your aisle? Why not listen to say a liberal with less skeletons in their closet and fingers in their pocket?

Why bargain with the devil for a little short term comfort?

You can't fault Kavanaugh or other deceitful people when they act their nature when you provided them a platform.
    I feel like it was too hard a pill to swallow to vote for Hillary, for the religious right. And a lot of people felt that not voting for either was a "vote for Hillary". Like, you had to pick the one you thought would do the least damage, and one of them stood in complete opposition to what they believed in, while the other at least paid lip service to their concerns. Who would you pick?

If you had Mike Pence up there along with Arnold Schwarzenegger, with all his baggage shtupping his maid and cheating on his wife and the groping allegations, would you vote for Mike Pence because "character matters"? No, character matters, but policy supersedes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    What I dont get is why Feinstein waited until the very last minute to bring up this allegation, when she had the letter in her hands for over 6 weeks? It reeks of partisan hackery

Guy Benson said it best:

If it weren't for what Mitch the Bitch did with Obama's nomination, I would say this is too partisan with the timing, but after we got an illegitimate justice from the GOP being Derelict of Duty for a year and refusing to hear the nomination during their presidency and then throwing the nomination out to skip over them and then only to have that illegitimate justice be the tie breaking vote that ruled that US workers have no right to due process against their employer. After that, they threw the norms and decorum out the window and their level of partisan BS should be matched and their fuck-ups to this nation be removed or delayed.\

But partisan or not, this should be looked into and honestly, Kavanaugh shouldn't be nominated due to issues that arose long before this one.

Also, as partisan as it sounds, if they invoked the McConnel rule to refuse to hear Garland, they should refuse to see Kavanaugh till after the elections, sticking to their own rule. They and try and make the distinction of a presidential election but that is irrelevant with the logic the used. It should be after the federal election to hear the will of the people. To do otherwise is both hypocritical and even more partisan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    "Why would a woman not want a rapist deciding court cases? That kind of concern is VERY VERY UNUSUAL!".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters