Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc priest nerfs in the future??

Why would you nerf disc priest, They are by far the worst healers in the game when they fall behind, yeah they are strong early but once pain sup is used they are easily the worst healer and fall behind super quick after. I can even believe blizzard is thinking about nerfing them?? like what are you going to nerf the shield? its already garbage plz rethink the disc priest nerfs........................
    (Shield is mainly to keep up atonement, the absorb amount is very low without rapture. Due to GCD changes, rapture is not really good as "Oh shiet button" either.Spam heal is shadow mend, priests are easy to fall behind with healing unlike other classes (rdruid,mw)

BM, Disc and Arms are the next nerf targets. However, only in PVP apparently, so don't panic, PVE performance shouldn't be impacted too much.

I just hope that they don't go overboard and Disc can still stalemate a solo DPS opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by virusqt View Post
    Why would you nerf disc priest, They are by far the worst healers in the game when they fall behind, yeah they are strong early but once pain sup is used they are easily the worst healer and fall behind super quick after. I can even believe blizzard is thinking about nerfing them?? like what are you going to nerf the shield? its already garbage plz rethink the disc priest nerfs........................
    (Shield is mainly to keep up atonement, the absorb amount is very low without rapture. Due to GCD changes, rapture is not really good as "Oh shiet button" either.Spam heal is shadow mend, priests are easy to fall behind with healing unlike other classes (rdruid,mw)
    Please tell me you're kidding. If you're healing only through Shadow Mend then you're not playing discipline properly :/

Deleted
    I have a priest alt, low geared atm and I really struggle to keep a grp alive in dongeon, atonement healing is weak or my damage too low to provide enough healing on simple trash packs. switching to holy and it's easy mode even with disc traits on my azerite gear, a finger in my nose and ignoring big CDs where I used IP and stuff on cooldown as disc..

I know I'm not that good of a player, but I played specs with more binds to use and I have a really hard time looking at disc as a better spec than holy at healing.

now I see all those comments about disc being some kind of demi gods, I'd like to understand what I'm doing wrong, because I like the spec. Is Icy veins still a good source? cause that what I use mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    I have a priest alt, low geared atm and I really struggle to keep a grp alive in dongeon, atonement healing is weak or my damage too low to provide enough healing on simple trash packs. switching to holy and it's easy mode even with disc traits on my azerite gear, a finger in my nose and ignoring big CDs where I used IP and stuff on cooldown as disc..

I know I'm not that good of a player, but I played specs with more binds to use and I have a really hard time looking at disc as a better spec than holy at healing.

now I see all those comments about disc being some kind of demi gods, I'd like to understand what I'm doing wrong, because I like the spec. Is Icy veins still a good source? cause that what I use mainly.
    Just remember disc can’t heal stupid. In pug dungeon runs you’re pretty much going to shadow mend spam if dos don’t interrupt the important stuff and take damage that’s avoidable since atonement heals won’t keep up. I’d go holy for pugs and disc for more organized runs with dependable players.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post

Discipline priests are demi-gods when the group you're in knows what to do, but they are heavily punished if they don't know what to do.
    The healing is different from all the other specs, we don't heal when we see the damage, we anticipate the damage with some shields and then fill in with damage that gets converted into heals via atonement.
    Your problems are 99/100 coming from the low gear AND the group taking unnecessary damage (standing in pools, not avoiding spells ecc).
    I've seen Discipline priests healing only via SMend (a good strategy, if you want to burn your mana in the first 30 seconds of the fight) or only applying Power Word: Shield and then switching to a full-dps rotation for the next 30+ seconds, normally you don't do that, we don't do that here, if you see someone taking too much damage you throw some SMend to keep him healthy and then you keep doing what you were doing: applying atonements when needed and using your combos when some burst healing is required (Schism ---> Power Word: Solace ---> Penance ---> Smite fill ---> Shadow Word: Pain if it is close to dropping off).
    You also have some cooldowns to use accordingly, Halo is preferred over Purge the Wicked and Divine Star for the big burst of heal and damage (though you need to be wary of where you are to avoid pulling additional packs), Power Word: Radiance is used when the party is taking damage (I also use PW:R when 3+ party members are taking damage, the mana cost of PW:R is lower than 3+ PW:Shield if i remember correctly), Rapture is used when you know that the boss/add is going to deal a huge spike of damage so you pop it and throw PW:Shield to everyone to keep them shielded until it falls down, Power Word: Barrier is used when a big, unavoidable damage is coming or when the tank pulls too much and the adds are also damaging the party (remember that inside PW:B everyone gets an increased atonement healing, so throw some damage here and there if the heal required is not high and on a single player), lastly you have Pain Suppression when someone is taking WAAAAY too much damage and you have to heal them, but your heals aren't high enough to keep up with the damage, you pop PS on them and then heal them.

TL;DR

Keep atonement up with PW:Shield/PW:Radiance, keep Shadow Word: Pain all the time up on at least 1 target (2 is preferred, 5+ is overkill), use CDs when necessary, Schism+Solace for burst heals, fill with smite & penance, IF someone is taking too much damage then SMend them, but don't overdo it or your mana will suffer a lot.
    Last edited by Kyyrol; 2018-09-07 at 04:02 PM.

Deleted
    I'm currently doing mythic+ as disc and it's like a different class depending on the group.

If they know what they're doing they just found themselves a 4th dps that's almost doing as much damage as everyone else. If they don't, they have a healer that can't do anything but Rapture + shield and Shadow Mend spam who has absolutely no time for dps at all.

PUGs don't understand that their 'gogogo' attitude, pulling trash packs when the tank is at 25% and the group at 50%, just slows you down with a disc. Just wait a few seconds to let me heal you back up ffs. They leave me no choice but to spam Shadow Mend and drink after every trash pack because of it. It's infuriating.

I don't even want to imagine what's going to happen if they nerf out healing output. Will probably become unplayable in PUGs. But everyone seems to have agreed that disc is soooo OP that you know it's going to happen. And meanwhile I feel powerless as all hell in most groups.
    Last edited by mmocddf8d25f42; 2018-09-07 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyyrol View Post
    Please tell me you're kidding. If you're healing only through Shadow Mend then you're not playing discipline properly :/
    You either don’t play disc or don’t understand what he means.

Shield (atonement)
    SW:P target(s)
    Penance/Smite target

Once the tank/your group starts doing stupid... its SM spam.

Note: “Stupid” doesn’t mean predictable damage that you can plan for. Nor does it mean damage that PW:R (atonements) and Penance/Smite can easily heal back up.

If you do however play Disc and don’t know what I mean (the times you do need to spam SM), please let me know how to play disc properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    I'm currently doing mythic+ as disc and it's like a different class depending on the group.

If they know what they're doing they just found themselves a 4th dps that's almost doing as much damage as everyone else. If they don't, they have a healer that can't do anything but Rapture + shield and Shadow Mend spam who has absolutely no time for dps at all.

PUGs don't understand that their 'gogogo' attitude, pulling trash packs when the tank is at 25% and the group at 50%, just slows you down with a disc. Just wait a few seconds to let me heal you back up ffs. They leave me no choice but to spam Shadow Mend and drink after every trash pack because of it. It's infuriating.

I don't even want to imagine what's going to happen if they nerf out healing output. Will probably become unplayable in PUGs. But everyone seems to have agreed that disc is soooo OP that you know it's going to happen. And meanwhile I feel powerless as all hell in most groups.
    I did a mythic the other day with a bear who liked pulling multiple packs at once. I didn’t mind it as heroics/low mythics are a joke, BUT there was times I had to SM spam. Now, it’s not constant spaming but there definitely comes times when you jeed to. Personally, I think it’s more they think we STRICTLY need to heal the group directly like every ither healer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I did a mythic the other day with a bear who liked pulling multiple packs at once. I didn’t mind it as heroics/low mythics are a joke, BUT there was times I had to SM spam. Now, it’s not constant spaming but there definitely comes times when you jeed to. Personally, I think it’s more they think we STRICTLY need to heal the group directly like every ither healer.
    It really depends on the dungeon and the tank. I had a DK tank in King's Rest +5 yesterday. Imagine spamming Shadow Mend with Pain Suppression on him and he's still dropping like a fly. He runs into a group and instantly is at 40% and then ticking down by 20% every 2 seconds while the group is also taking damage.

At some point I tried shackling the berserker trolls, but the group doesn't care. They just want to kill everything at once.

It really depends on the dungeon and the tank. I had a DK tank in King's Rest +5 yesterday. Imagine spamming Shadow Mend with Pain Suppression on him and he's still dropping like a fly. He runs into a group and instantly is at 40% and then ticking down by 20% every 2 seconds while the group is also taking damage.

At some point I tried shackling the berserker trolls, but the group doesn't care. They just want to kill everything at once.
    Well that’s the other part too, whether its the class, the gear, or the player just not knowing/caring about using mitigation.

I don’t hibk any classes are worse/better than ither in current content as I’ve gotten the spectrum of each that was great, and others where they drop like flies all the time.

Deleted
    There it is, 9% nerf to Smite. Not too bad, but will probably hurt quite a bit in the long-run.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krl View Post
    BM, Disc and Arms are the next nerf targets. However, only in PVP apparently, so don't panic, PVE performance shouldn't be impacted too much.
    I just hope that they don't go overboard and Disc can still stalemate a solo DPS opponent.
    Yeah they fucked it up. 9% nerf to smite does affect pve pretty much. Maybe this was intentional, but I'd like to see why.

Deleted
    There it is, 9% nerf to Smite. Not too bad, but will probably hurt quite a bit in the long-run.
    Basically the end of me doing WQs :/

Quote Originally Posted by Zurich View Post
    So, are the shadow buffs enough to do world quests or are we reduced to doing world quests as holy via that "wait for people to show up and put renew on them for quest credit"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nzete View Post
    So, are the shadow buffs enough to do world quests or are we reduced to doing world quests as holy via that "wait for people to show up and put renew on them for quest credit"?
    Honestly that will still be better playing as Disc and multidotting everything. Someone will always be happy to come and cleave in your pack to destroy it.

Deleted
    It makes basically no difference to world questing since you cycle penance off cd so quickly anyway. Its a pretty big, totally unjustified nerf to dungeons and raiding though.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that 300dps loss will surely cripple your WQs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just checked my damage meter data. Smite damage contribution is between 22 and 40%. So this is a ~4% DPS nerf in solo and 5man content in the worst case. No sane person would stop doing WQs over a 4% dps nerf. It's like having 5 ilvls less or something like that.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    I just checked my damage meter data. Smite damage contribution is between 22 and 40%. So this is a ~4% DPS nerf in solo and 5man content in the worst case. No sane person would stop doing WQs over a 4% dps nerf. It's like having 5 ilvls less or something like that.
    What if he was stacking triple Smite traits? ... Which requires three Atonements, making it mostly useless for WQ, since it lowers you damage bonus from Sins ... But still!