Thread: Build Critique

Deleted

Build Critique

Hi all, looking for somebody to glance over a spec for me before I pull the trigger. Just to make sure I'm not making a poor choice on any combination of components.

I bought an Asus ROG laptop during Nighthold for raiding as I was travelling a lot with work. Despite spending a fair bit of money on it, it hasn't been amazing for WoW. Frustratingly it can do open world questing on full settings at 90fps all day long, Mythic raids are closer to 25fps which is still fine - but we've gone into BfA with a bigger roster and 30 man HC raids are just killing it. I was regularly watching a 1fps slideshow this week during boss fights, which got no better moving the graphics slider from 8 to 1.

CPU in my laptop is an i7 6700hq which I understand to be the bottleneck. It has a GTX1060 which seems to cope with any non-WoW game absolutely fine on full settings, so I'm a little annoyed to be replacing the laptop just for heroic raids... I've spent hours/days on laptop specific troubleshooting to see if I'm getting throttled due to temperature etc, but no luck - so it's time to just get back onto a PC I think.

This time around I plan to (relatively) overspend on CPU and go modest on the 3D card. As it's a PC, at least I have upgrade options this time around. I'm trying to keep price as close to £1k GBP as I'll be buying this twice. The Asus will still serve as an emergency "working away" raid machine.

CPU: Intel i5 8600k w/ Alpenfohn Brocken 3 Cooler
    Mobo: Asrock Z370
    Memory: 16GB Team Group Vulcan DDR4
    PSU: Super Flower Platinum King 450W
    GPU: GTX 1060 6GB from Zotac
    HDD: 250GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD w/ 1TB Seagate Barracuda
    Case: Antec GX1200

This comes in at a shade over £1k. Are there any areas where I could shuffle things around to improve the back per buck ratio?

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of Alpenföhn before, so can't comment on that. A bit of google says it's decent though
    Super Flower make decent PSU's, but 450W seems a tad small. Doesn't give you a lot of breathing room for OC's.
    Tried to build your system on pcpartpicker, and the UK is fucking weird, man..

250gb SSD costs about double the 500gb one there, and it's not because there's a sale or something on it.

Aside from that, it seems to be a decent build. Tried to make a 1070 equipped one, but GPU prices are stupid high still, so it broke your budget completely.

get a real PSU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    get a real PSU
    Super flower makes real PSU's. What are you talking about?

... get a good PSU...

10+ Year Old Account
    ... get a good PSU...
    Like one made from Super Flower?
    You do realize they're responsible for most of EVGA's good stuff, right?

Deleted
    I've not built a PC for years, and I'd never heard of them - at least, I don't remember them. I did read some good reviews though.

I can upgrade it to a 550W for less than £10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammonflaps View Post
    I've not built a PC for years, and I'd never heard of them - at least, I don't remember them. I did read some good reviews though.

I can upgrade it to a 550W for less than £10.
    Super Flower are an OEM, basically they make the stuff and then other companies buy it from them and sell it on to the end consumer, they just also do some selling to the consumer on their own.

Honestly my only problem with them is that it's not modular at all. The components are all perfectly fine, I'd just (personally) prefer not having the cables I don't need plugged in.

Yeah i was like... whats with all the Superflower hate? They make a lot of the highly rated PSUs from bigger “name brands”. Theyre right behind/close to Seasonic in terms of quality and affordability.

OP - id upgrade to a 550w or 620w just to have some breathing room. Otherwise, looks perfectly usable.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    ... get a good PSU...
    <--------- The, i don't know what the fuck im talking about door, is that way. Please use it
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

funny because you 2 clearly know nothing.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

still junk... might as well just use a PSU that comes in a $40 case

still junk... might as well just use a PSU that comes in a $40 case
    Trolololololol.

Not even a good attempt at trolling.

Deleted
    Well I appreciate the feedback either way, and I did a little research - I'm more than happy to put my money into the PSU brand, but I did go for the 550W one though.

I placed the order for two identical systems this morning, it's socially convenient that my Wife plays WoW alongside me but it's bloody expensive at PC refresh time...