Deleted

AOE Arms traits If you can't sim AoE?

I've been told several times now that it doesn't really work to sim AoE.

How can I know which traits I should be using for Mythic+?

The traits available to me:

Lord of War x2
    Test of Might x2
    Seismic Wave x1

My current ST gear:
    x2 Test of Might, x1 Lord of War

My guess on the AoE gear I might switch to:
    x2 Lord of War, x1 Seismic Wave

Obviously this doesn't take into account the other traits. All my azerite pieces are the same ilvl.

I'm guessing SW and Lord of War will be best but I can't be sur. How do you figure it out if you can't sim? What would you pick in my situation?

Deleted
    Its right you cant really sim it because there are to many variables. But for me running 2x Lord of War and 1 Seismic Wave feels perfect i might change the 1 SW for LoW if i get one since the burst potential it offers is crazy.

All you really can do is run a few Dungeons and see for youre self which workes out better. But Lord of war is a save bet since it also feels a lot stronger on ST for the bosses then SW remember its also our 2nd best ST trait.

3* lord of war is great for low mythical ( depending on your I-level ) if I can do a smash into blade storm and be close or in execute range for most trash I'm good. If I'm pushing higher and need more sustained aoe I'll use test of might *2 dreadnaught and seismic wave. Sure it's less bursty but my god the sustain aoe.

TOM is only good in single, so for sure use the second setup for AOE. I think ideally you want 2 Siesmic and 1 LOW for AoE, but they are both very strong.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on the kill speed of things. Are things dying relatively fast? Stack that LoW with AM as SW doesn't have time to catch up. Are things dying just before WB comes off CD? Get those SW as traits as SW will have had time to catch up. Able to use two WB before things die? LoW edges out again. Lots of more variables are in play, is there down time inbetween pulls (healers drinking, patrols etc) that make your next WB available for the pack, or is it constant chain pulling with SW seeing constant use?

However, SW is absolutely horrible for bosses. And only slightly outperforms LoW for sustained AoE. So for M+ I'd still stack that LoW as it helps perform great for both. The extra rage from LoW that reduces AM as well as smoothing out the rotation makes it "feel" better too if that matters to someone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shain1234 View Post
    3* lord of war is great for low mythical ( depending on your I-level ) if I can do a smash into blade storm and be close or in execute range for most trash I'm good. If I'm pushing higher and need more sustained aoe I'll use test of might *2 dreadnaught and seismic wave. Sure it's less bursty but my god the sustain aoe.
    Lord of War is always better for AOE.

In high keys you can get it back for a second warbreaker.

Not sure what your sustained argument is. Overall Lord of War is much better for AOE than Test of Might.

Also Lord of War is very close to Test of Might even on single target and there are almost zero pure single target fights in the entire game.

Pretty sure even getting 1-2 warbreakers on the boss and a single add is going to push Lord of War ahead.

List of single target fights :

Uldir - none
    Freehold - 1st, 3rd boss, (4th boss)
    Shrine of Storm - 3rd boss
    Tol Dagor - 3rd, 4th boss
    Waycrest - none
    Motherlode - 1st, 3rd boss
    Atal'dazar - Berserker Boss
    Kings Rest - 1st boss if you perma root the blobs, 2nd, 3rd boss
    Temple of Sethraliss - 3rd boss
    Underot - 3rd boss
    Siege of Boralus - 3rd boss, (4th boss)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ramayana1423 View Post
    TOM is only good in single, so for sure use the second setup for AOE. I think ideally you want 2 Siesmic and 1 LOW for AoE, but they are both very strong.
    I would go for 3x Lord of War.

The newest sim has Seismis slightly better than Lord of War for AOE for the first trait so in theory maybe 1x Seismic and 2 LOW. But in reality Lord of War is much stronger for single target so overall I think LOW will perform better even in fortified weeks.
    Last edited by mmocefe5057e27; 2018-09-17 at 01:38 PM.

Atm I have 2x Lord of war and 1 Seismic wave. I rather like that set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromkark View Post
    I've been told several times now that it doesn't really work to sim AoE.
    I dunno who lied to you, but there are multiple fight styles which simulate waves of adds (Hectic Add Cleave, Beastlord), and you can sim any number of static targets on any encounter type (although it could be argued that isn't entirely realistic). You absolutely can, and always have been able to, sim various types of AoE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    Lord of War is always better for AOE.
    That's not entirely true; what it's better for is burst AoE.

And therein lies the problem with simulating AoE; unlike Patchwerk, which is the single target standard precisely because it eliminates excess variables, AoE is so varied that it takes a modicum of analytical thinking to interpret and apply to realistic scenarios (i.e. you can sim 5 static targets, but there's no relevant encounter in the game that actually has 5 static targets for any length of time). This is why people come up with the misguided notions that you "can't sim AoE"; you absolutely can, you just need to intelligently evaluate the results.