Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 36 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    As someone that was very much against Gal Gadot playing WW..I can say I was wrong about her. But to be fair, script, acting, and directing all played a part in my admission.

Not going to judge Brie Larson yet.

But I won't be seeing this movie anytime soon.

Brie Larson is my hero because she exudes a quiet dignified strength

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    What opportunity or discrimination issue?

"Top critics" tend to be picked by the public, since it goes on views and level of interest in what they review.

Companies tend to hire or raise up critics that draw attention to themselves and increase readership/sell copies/generate clicks/whatever.

Also it's not nearly 100% of critics. You might get away with suggesting it's 50-60%.
    The oppturnity to review in the first place. Getting access to early screenings. Obviously the public can't pick a reviewer that never had the chance to review something.

https://news.usc.edu/144379/usc-stud...hite-and-male/

It's closer to 100% than it is to 60%.

And that's not just the ones getting early access, those are nearly 100% white guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Critics loved Ghostbusters...and they loved the Last Jedi...
    And the reality disagreed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    And the reality disagreed with them.
    On the same page with reality...(this time)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I’m wasn’t a fan when she was ms marvel and became less of a fan when she swapped over to captain marvel so Mabye it’s because of that but movie looks pretty meh at best to me.
    Back in the 80's and 90's Carol Danvers (either as Ms Marvel or Warbird) was always written as a A+ side character.

She was great in Avengers and she was great in Iron Man. I really enjoyed her whole alcohol addiction story arch from 1998/99. I really recently dug her 'Life of Captain Marvel' comic too which tries a retcons her origin a little but is still a very interesting read on trying to get into Carols character.

She is a hero I have always liked but my god do they get the wrong people to write her solo books. Her new comic series comes out in March and I hope for god that it's good. Because her comics have been awful for the most of this decade.

Still interested in this movie though because of my past love with the character and I hope it doesn't follow the trend her horrible comics have followed recently (outside of 'Life of Captain Marvel' which was pretty good)
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Remember as we did with previous movies such as infinity war, for the first three weeks spoilers of the movie must be placed in spoiler tags or you will be reported for trolling.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    The oppturnity to review in the first place. Getting access to early screenings. Obviously the public can't pick a reviewer that never had the chance to review something.

https://news.usc.edu/144379/usc-stud...hite-and-male/

It's closer to 100% than it is to 60%.

And that's not just the ones getting early access, those are nearly 100% white guys.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/help_desk/critics

Anyone can be a top critic if they want to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Critics are out of touch corrupt assholes.

For example. Season 1 of the Orville was universally panned by critics. Mostly they said shit like "fake star trek" and "shit jokes" or something to that effect.

Season 2 of the Orville has a 100% critic score with those same EXACT corrupt assholes now praising it for the same fucking reasons they hated it. The critics should NOT be listened to.
    You cite one example of a TV show.

You seem to need to calm down. People liked the Last Jedi and Black Panther and both films were tremendous financial successes. The same could very well be true of Captain Marvel, regardless of whatever "evil SJW slant" people think is "ruining the comic book/sci-fi/movie industry."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    This, everything.
    First of all critics deserve 0 trust nowadays especially when it comes with politically and culturally charged movies like TLJ.

Or, maybe... they actually liked it.

The new ghost busters wasn't met with "universal critical acclaim."

Maybe the points that bothered you, Luke not being who you thought he was going to be and Holdo having purple hair, didn't actually bother those people and they appraised it as a movie, rather than not being the film they had written in their head.

No way in hell they were gonna pan an obviously feminist-driven movie like that. It just wasn't going to happen, either because of tribalism or because of fear of the guaranteed retaliation if they dared talk badly of those elements, which were objectively bad.

Second, Captain Marvel is indeed showing signs of the same illness. Between the trailer "you're a girl so you can't do ass" version of men that don't actually exist and Brie Larson's comments... the signs are here. Not as strong as ghostbusters 2016 but you can smell the stink.
    Personally I'm not gonna risk it, not again. One ghostbusters and one TLJ was more than enough, I'm gonna wait some months and plenty of reviews before deciding to give this movie my money.
    So, it's all a grand conspiracy to hate men, then?

Mm hmm.

Third, TLJ's billions in earning mean little to nothing in term of quality. It was Star Wars after all, it was gonna make money regardless if only out of fan's hope for a good movie. What actually matters to judge are the earnings after that, after that hope had been squashed... and guess what, Solo was far from being a success.
    Solo made several hundred million dollars.

The film wasn't a success in the end because they basically shot the film twice after replacing Lord and Miller with Ron Howard for a film people were immensely skeptical of to begin with. And not because Rose existed in TLJ or because Rey could lift some rocks; because it was a Han Solo movie not staring Harrison Ford detailing a plot no one asked for.

The vast majority of Star Wars fans, let alone movie goers, don't give a single fuck about your imagined grievances with TLJ.

And no it's not Star Wars fatigue, it's feminist driven propaganda fatigue. We watch movies to escape reality and have fun, not to have our minds changed into the "good thinking".
    In what way was Solo, a movie almost exclusively about Han Solo, a "feminist propaganda driven mouth piece?"

Like I told the other guy. You need to calm down. There isn't some grand conspiracy.

I can't imagine how terrifying a world you must live in to feel like you're constantly being attacked by make-believe comic book and science fiction movies.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Or, maybe... they actually liked it.
    The new ghost busters wasn't met with "universal critical acclaim."
    Maybe the points that bothered you, Luke not being who you thought he was going to be and Holdo having purple hair, didn't actually bother those people and they appraised it as a movie, rather than not being the film they had written in their head.
    Considering the difference between their opinion and everyone else's, doubt it.

So, it's all a grand conspiracy to hate men, then?
    Mm hmm.
    Whataboutism, huh? Is that your best shot?
    Mm hmm.

Solo made several hundred million dollars.

The film wasn't a success in the end because they basically shot the film twice after replacing Lord and Miller with Ron Howard for a film people were immensely skeptical of to begin with. And not because Rose existed in TLJ or because Rey could lift some rocks; because it was a Han Solo movie not staring Harrison Ford detailing a plot no one asked for.
    The vast majority of Star Wars fans, let alone movie goers, don't give a single fuck about your imagined grievances with TLJ.
    Appeal to imaginary majority. Mmmmh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    In what way was Solo, a movie almost exclusively about Han Solo, a "feminist propaganda driven mouth piece?"
    And putting words into my mouth.
    Wow, three out of four.

Why did you even bother responding to me if you had nothing of substance to say?
    Last edited by Malaky; 2019-02-21 at 02:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus christ sometimes I wonder how you people go outside.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    Considering the difference between their opinion and everyone else's, doubt it.
    "Everyone else's?"

The movie made over a billion dollars. That's an awful lot of hate-watches.

Whataboutism, huh? Is that your best shot?
    Mm hmm.
    ...That's not what a whataboutism is.

You're the one citing "feminist propaganda," as if the Last Jedi somehow qualified as that.

Like, TLJ has some actual plot construction issues, but this whole "oh no it's a feminist mouthpiece to *pbbbtbtbtbt*" is just so... tiringly moronic.

Appeal to imaginary majority. Mmmmh.
    Do you have any evidence to prove that the vast majority of moviegoers hated the Last Jedi?

Because the data backing up my opinion is that it made a lot of money and critical reviews, who reviewed it as a movie and not how it stacked up to their own brain child of what TLJ would be.

Your data is what? A bunch of negative think-piece youtube videos and a rotten tomatoes audience score of no provable veracity?

And putting words into my mouth.
    Wow, three out of four.
    You claimed that Solo failed not because of "Star Wars fatigue," but because of "feminist propaganda fatigue" (a laughably idiotic sentiment.) Thus, you are either insinuating that the feminist propaganda nature of Solo caused it to fail, or you aren't particularly good at articulating your thoughts.

Why did you even bother responding to me if you had nothing of substance to say?
    You were the one claiming that your personal, subjective experience about the Last Jedi was the only correct one and that the people that disagreed with you must have been lying and actually hated it because they didn't want to piss off the feminist agenda. That is literally what you said.

So if you claim my response holds no substance, it is merely because I was redressing an opinion that held no substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    They don't go outside; they're afraid a woman will claim they raped them.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-02-21 at 08:25 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Why cant they learn to leave the politics at the door?

Iam still gonna see this movie but i hope the whole Jussie fiasco teaches them that identity politics leads to nothing but division and hatred and destruction!.

Seriously Hollywood shut the fuck up about identity politics cause you are the worst ones to lecture anyone about this shit and everytime you open you mouths you make things a million times worse!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Surprised there is not a topic already.

First reviews seem to be coming in really strong.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2...s-brie-larson/

Hopefully if the movie is good, the anti SJW crowd won’t review bomb it just because they hate Larsen.

The "anti-sjw" crowd is just people that are bored of being told they're racist/sexist for not thinking incredibly average (or shitty) movies are amazing. When people keep insisting that crap things are amazing just because of whatever social-political-statement they're meant to be making, there's going to be greater pushback from all the people that think they're just shit and who's opinions are just getting dismissed as bigotry.

People were told they were sexist for not liking Ghostbusters, but that was an embarrassingly shit movie.

People were told they were sexist/racist for not liking The Last Jedi, but that was a shit movie that treated the franchise as a joke.

People were told they were sexist/racist for not liking Marvels new "diverse" comics, but they were mostly fucking awful and the writers lack of experience showed.

People were told they were racist for not thinking BlackPanther was the greatest Oscar Worthy CBM ever, but it's just an OK Marvel movie (with some great characters but awful CGI).

People were told they were sexist for not thinking Jodie Whittaker is the greatest Doctor Who ever, but the new series is just pretty atrociously written crap.

A female lead action movie can work and be great. We know this because of ALL THE OTHER female lead action movies we've had over the last decades that were really popular. From Sarah Connor to Ripley to everyone else.. the badass-action-girl is such an overused trope that it's a cliche, but now we all pretend they don't exist. The reviews for WW were like "It's so great girls can FINALLY have a female action role model", despite the huge success of characters like Buffy, Lara Croft, Xena, She-Ra, or even the Linda Carter Wonder Woman... (or MAYBE a lot of younger girls don't necesarily decide on who they idolise by how much they kick ass)

The Captain Marvel trailers look pretty average so far, and really don't get a lot of personality across from its lead star. I'm being optimistic (it is Marvel Studios afterall) but people are justified in feeling cautious about it and in feeling that early reactions and reviews for movies mean jack shit these days. Most people don't WANT this to be bad, everyone's just learnt though that the more emphasis the marketing, interviews etc put on the "liberal" nature, the more likely it's because the actual content isn't as worth celebrating.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I don't even know how these people live their lives. If it's a good movie, it's a good movie. If it's bad, it's bad. These idiots think there is some grand conspiracy if a woman is the lead role.

You get one crowd going "Oh god, it's a woman in a lead role and they used "hero to her" on the screen. Feminist agenda!!!"
    Then you get the other "If you don't like women in movies, you're evil"

Like both groups, shut the fuck up.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Call people creepy monsters long enouth. They might start to believe. However don't be suprised when you now have a boat load of creepy monsters who hate your guts, and have nothing better to do than dig in their heels and push back.

Movie will be a generic superhero movie, probably mediocre at best with a 50-55% RT score. Movie will cop criticism for being a shitty movie, and the director/those involved/the media will scream that its all sexism, alt-right trolls and the russians (always)

It's getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    mar-vell was a different character.
    You obviously have little knowledge of the comics. In the mainstream Marvel Universe (not including different timelines, possible futures etc), Carol Danvers is the last person to hold the mantle of Captain Marvel. The original Captain Marvel in Marvel Comics was Mar-Vell (yes, a male). After his death from cancer, his children Genis-Vell (oh look, another male) and Phyla-Vell, also adopted the name and similar costumes. Then there is also Monica Rambeau (using the codename but not the uniform) for a few years. Carol Danvers started as Ms Marvel (homage to Mar-Vell where her powers came from), also went by Binary (when she hanged with the X-men) and later Warbird. She adopted the name Captain Marvel and fashioned her current uniform based on the original's suit, because she respects his legacy and wants to honor him.
    So, the mantle of Captain Marvel (different people but with similar costume/powers) has been around since 1967 (that's almost 40 years) and Carol has been the Captain since late 2012 (that's less than 7 years).
    Bottomline is, Captain Marvel has not always been female, Carol Danvers is not the first, best-selling or most popular Captain Marvel. She is the current one, which makes absolute sense to be the one the movie is about. Let's just keep our facts straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    She should've stayed Mrs. Marvel .
    I don't know about that. I think her Warbird phase (dealing with recovering from alcoholism and all the other shit that happened to her) was the most interesting one. I personally liked her as Binary though. I'd love to see a modern version, Carol fully embracing the powers and Binary identity and going on some cosmic adventures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bowlink View Post
    Call people creepy monsters long enouth. They might start to believe. However don't be suprised when you now have a boat load of creepy monsters who hate your guts, and have nothing better to do than dig in their heels and push back.
    Seeing as all of their animosity amounts to is pissy online comments while the films enjoy critical and commercial success... that's a very limp-dicked threat.

Let them be pissy. All they're doing is tearing their own hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Movie will be a generic superhero movie, probably mediocre at best with a 50-55% RT score. Movie will cop criticism for being a shitty movie, and the director/those involved/the media will scream that its all sexism, alt-right trolls and the russians (always)

It's getting old.
    Not a single MCU film has received a score that low. Not Thor the Dark World, not that original Hulk movie.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-02-21 at 12:23 PM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    If she would have kept her stupid mouth shut, I was going to go watch it but now I'm not.

Anyone that talks and acts like that while trying to promote a movie just gets ignored by me anymore.

The movie constantly having its earning projections change speaks volumes to me. They really need to keep a tighter leash on these dipshits going forward.
    Yeah Larsons tirades over the last few months have killed it for a lot of folks, myself included.. And because of that I am not going to see it, and well I am not really allowed to go as I am a straight white male.. lol
    Last edited by grexly75; 2019-02-21 at 12:18 PM.