Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    If Feige isn't talking out of his ass and she could kick Thanos's ass then he is crapping all over every last single bit of canon there is.
    I mean Scarlet Witch all by herself is stronger then her and she is part of the team Marvel is joining.
    The Hulk at least the comic version is more powerful as there is simply no end to his strength increase and Thanos knows this.
    And to top it off if the X-Men are going to be part of the MCU then they will either need to retcon the living shit out of Jean Grey because from yesterdays trailer along she is now the Phoenix Force and even Thanos in any form he had respects the Phoenix.
    The MCU is Earth-199999.

The standard comics universe is Earth-616.

Power levels in Earth-616 have no bearing on Earth-199999.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Aye, this is a common failing of comic books in general
    Yeah, like when Galactus showed up the very first time in Fantastic Four and was THIS close to destroying the planet. A threat like that, and the Avengers were too busy? None of the X-Men thought to drop by? Given that it was in NY, you'd think even Spidey would have at least swung by to see if there was anything he could do. Hell, even Doc Doom shoulda been concerned, while he may not have had any real desire to help Reed Richards, he can't conquer the world if it's literally destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In the sense that it's essentially a panic button. Most of the other major threats, like the Chitauri, they were able to handle in-house. Fury never got pushed far enough to hit it. Not until Thanos won and killed 50% of all life. It's Fury's final act, when he has literally no other cards to play, when everything seems lost. The finale of Infinity War is significantly worse than any prior state the world's been in; I can see Fury just never feeling things had gone far enough to call in Danvers.
    Did Fury know about Thanos or that 50% of all life was wiped out? If my memory is correct in that scene Hill mentions that something is going on in Wakanda(power surge or something) and then people start disappearing. He ran for the pager when Hill vanished right before he started to vanish. For all he knew it was a localized event that was no bigger of a threat than the Chitauri(which were a global threat if they managed to get past their first landing site in New York). Granted it is Fury super spy so maybe he has some idea of what is going on, but it sure feels poorly executed to me.

Nobody had this complaint with Thor. Or the Guardians of the Galaxy. Or Ant-man. Or Doctor Strange. Really, the only two headliners who've had a major inclusion in an earlier film prior to their own title films were Black Panther and Spider-man.
    Well all of the characters had to start somewhere and not all of them are going to need inclusion in prior films before their own. The difference and the problem with Captain Marvel is at what stage she is coming into the final act of this ongoing storyline. When Thor, Gaurdians, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange were introduced they were still laying the foundation of the story with Doctor Strange probably needing a bit more introduction on par with what Black Panther and Spider-Man got. Captain Marvel feels like a surprise addition at the conclusion and feels out of place because there was no build up or even hints at her introduction until the Fury SOS. Timing is everything and it feels off here, but like I have been saying I would love to be wrong I just have some serious concerns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Did Fury know about Thanos or that 50% of all life was wiped out? If my memory is correct in that scene Hill mentions that something is going on in Wakanda(power surge or something) and then people start disappearing. He ran for the pager when Hill vanished right before he started to vanish. For all he knew it was a localized event that was no bigger of a threat than the Chitauri(which were a global threat if they managed to get past their first landing site in New York). Granted it is Fury super spy so maybe he has some idea of what is going on, but it sure feels poorly executed to me.

Well all of the characters had to start somewhere and not all of them are going to need inclusion in prior films before their own. The difference and the problem with Captain Marvel is at what stage she is coming into the final act of this ongoing storyline. When Thor, Gaurdians, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange were introduced they were still laying the foundation of the story with Doctor Strange probably needing a bit more introduction on par with what Black Panther and Spider-Man got. Captain Marvel feels like a surprise addition at the conclusion and feels out of place because there was no build up or even hints at her introduction until the Fury SOS. Timing is everything and it feels off here, but like I have been saying I would love to be wrong I just have some serious concerns.
    You're describing a double standard. You're treating Captain Marvel differently than prior films in the same canon.

Ask yourself why.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    But unlike BP, she's getting an entire movie to work her into the MCU before she's part of one of the cross-over films. The SOS page isn't an intro, it's a tease. Her movie is her intro. That's not me trying to be pedantic.

On the flip side of all this, consider the post-credit scene of IM1, where Fury says to Stark something along the lines of "you know, you're not the only superhero out there" when clearly there's no reason for Stark to remotely think that. So I suppose something I'm suggesting we should consider is that these post-credit teases are easy targets for the MCU to mutate as they deem necessary, so maybe we shouldn't be putting too much stock in them.
    While BP had his movie after his cross-over introduction he wasn't a distracting focal point in that cross-over film while Captain Marvel feels like they might over do it.

As for the IM1 discussion where Fury says you are not the only super hero out there I always assumed it was in reference to Captain America. While he hadn't had his movie yet they were planning for it, and given people in that world would know about Captain America's exploits during WW2 it would make sense that people are at least somewhat more aware of the idea of super heroes. Stark has a rather big ego so Fury saying that always felt like an attempt to humble Stark a little.

To be fair, Fury doesn't know if she got Snapped or not. He's playing that last card regardless, because it's the only card he's got left to play.
    Someone else mentioned it, but to be fair, Fury doesn't know what a Snap is or anything.

I'm not saying we can't discuss it, I'm condemning the idea that Danvers is just dicking around doing nothing for 25 years, waiting for Fury to page her. There's no reason to think that's true, and plenty of possible explanations that justify the way things happened. So assuming there's no explanation and getting angry because of that assumption? That's bullshit.
    Some people just post in an angry style, no reason to ascribe feelings to such things. There's been plenty of theories as to what she may be doing for 25 years. The main thing I find silly is the pager itself, so not too worried. I haven't seen a Marvel movie in theater in a real long time, so this won't be the one to break my streak. Maybe I'll bother pirating it before it comes to digital rental, but probably not.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

You're describing a double standard. You're treating Captain Marvel differently than prior films in the same canon.

Ask yourself why.
    I'm only treating Captain Marvel differently because of the timing and nothing else.

Ask yourself why.
    Because her introduction is between what many see as Part 1 and Part 2 of a story. Sure things have been building for years, but these two movies are different in there layout. Part of it is also the "she's the most powerful" talk leading some to think she'll play too central of a role in the movie. It's more like having a new character being introduced in the intermission.

Plenty of folks asked where Antman and Hawkeye were during Infinity War, no one asked where Captain Marvel was, because she didn't exist.

So there's plenty of reasons "why" there might be a "double standard", but it's not really much of a double standard when everything is a different setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Because her introduction is between what many see as Part 1 and Part 2 of a story. Sure things have been building for years, but these two movies are different in there layout. Part of it is also the "she's the most powerful" talk leading some to think she'll play too central of a role in the movie. It's more like having a new character being introduced in the intermission.

Plenty of folks asked where Antman and Hawkeye were during Infinity War, no one asked where Captain Marvel was, because she didn't exist.

So there's plenty of reasons "why" there might be a "double standard", but it's not really much of a double standard when everything is a different setup.
    Agreed. I would have the same concerns if we had Captain Marvel(Captain Marvel The Dark World and Captain Marvel Skrull War final solution) movies first and then they introduced Thor at the last minute. I'm not really sure where Endus is coming from or what the double standard is supposed to be?

Just before making a "omg WOMANZ are ruining cinema" comment just remember you dont have to watch the films and remember who it was made for.

Derailing the thread isn't allowed. Infracted
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-02-28 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Agreed. I would have the same concerns if we had Captain Marvel(Captain Marvel The Dark World and Captain Marvel Skrull War final solution) movies first and then they introduced Thor at the last minute. I'm not really sure where Endus is coming from or what the double standard is supposed to be?
    In his usual not-so-subtle way he accuses critics of sexism and misogyny.

Since Marvel movies are rather hit-or-miss for me i'll skip this movie like half of the MCU, simple lack of interest.
    But i can understand that fans are concered about the movie, the main actress and the possible fallout for Avengers: Endgame.
    The number of real misogynists bashing the movie because of a female lead is astronomically small.
    Oh, they are here and make a little noise, but the far bigger noise IMO is coming from the movie and comic fans that do not want to hear political statements from the actors, directors and what-not before the movie even got into the theaters. They want the movies and comics to escape the current climate, not get reminded of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Just before making a "omg WOMANZ are ruining cinema" comment just remember you dont have to watch the films and remember who it was made for.
    The movie was primarily made to make money. Not for little girls specifically, nor for the comic-readers. To make money.
    Actors, directors and what-not can open their mouths about their own personal goals, but if they alienate customers we get damage-control-interviews like we just did. Those 100 million $ less in expected opening-weekend earnings are not chump-change, not even for a behemoth like Disney.
    IF this movie underperforms by Disneys/Marvels standard then somebody will face repercussions, and that could very well be Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck or Brie Larson herself when they decide to not use her as the front woman for the MCU for the next 10 years.

And don't confuse big earnings (like another billion) with good performance, such important movies are expected to make ridiculous amounts of money AND having a good reputation among the moviegoers. So the bar for this movies perfomance has been set very high.
    I, for myself, will wait and see what transpires in the next 2 weeks.
    Last edited by segara82; 2019-02-28 at 07:00 PM. Reason: responding to a new addition
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    In his usual not-so-subtle way he accuses critics of sexism and misogyny.

Since Marvel movies are rather hit-or-miss for me i'll skip this movie like half of the MCU, simple lack of interest.
    But i can understand that fans are concered about the movie, the main actress and the possible fallout for Avengers: Endgame.
    The number of real misogynists bashing the movie because of a female lead is astronomically small.
    Oh, they are here and make a little noise, but the far bigger noise IMO is coming from the movie and comic fans that do not want to hear political statements from the actors, directors and what-not before the movie even got into the theaters. They want the movies and comics to escape the current climate, not get reminded of it.
    The marvel films are not even that connected, the only thing that is near constant is the characters and their arcs, those travel across the different films.

Like Thor's change of tone in Ragnork into infinity war for example.

But I love how people act like because some avengers films had a small clip at the end where you saw thanos sitting on a throne that you must watch every film or you're missing out on some master jigsaw. You either like the characters or not and each new film has a different plot with a little tease at the end

so just watch the end credit scene on youtube, problem solved.

Not white men.

Derailing the thread isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-02-28 at 07:53 PM.

and remember who it was made for.
    Who was it made for then? I thought it was made for fans of the MCU, comic movies, etc. Are you said that's NOT who it was made for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it was definitely made for the children they crowdfunded to get tickets to go see the movie and snacks to have during it because the studio was too cheap to supply them for free for publicity and the money that was overfunded was pocketed. But it was also made for all the people who watch Marvel movies, well until Ms. Larson mentioned she didn't like certain people watching any of her films. Personally I don't want to see the film because it doesn't look that entertaining and every time I've seen her power up in the trailers reminds me of that live action dbz movie.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

But I love how people act like because some avengers films had a small clip at the end where you saw thanos sitting on a throne that you must watch every film or you're missing out on some master jigsaw. You either like the characters or not and each new film has a different plot with a little tease at the end

so just watch the end credit scene on youtube, problem solved.
    Indeed, this is the brilliance of how the MCU exists as a shared universe. When you try to bake your connections and world building bits into the plots of your films, you end up with Batman v Superman or the Mummy.

There are continuity nods and easter eggs throughout the films that can reward someone that watches every movie, but it's certainly not required.

Many people want to watch this movie fail.

Which is sad...really, its really sad.

But i am already biased myself, but for different reasons.
    What i want to happen:
    .I want this movie to be bad, incredibly bad and for Rotten Tomatoes to give it a 97% score.
    Just so i can say RT score is broken.

Its never gonna happen though...because i dont see Marvel suddenly having a incredible bad movie out of nowhere.

So...probably going to be a decent movie.
    Technically at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Many people want to watch this movie fail.

Which is sad...really, its really sad.

But i am already biased myself, but for different reasons.
    What i want to happen:
    .I want this movie to be bad, incredibly bad and for Rotten Tomatoes to give it a 97% score.
    Just so i can say RT score is broken.

Its never gonna happen though...because i dont see Marvel suddenly having a incredible bad movie out of nowhere.

So...probably going to be a decent movie.
    Technically at least.
    I actually hope it's a great movie, with a poor opening weekend, so folks hear about it being great and go see it.I hope it makes a lot of money, but with a bad opening weekend, Disney figures out that their advertising was the issue, rather than the movie.

I actually hope it's a great movie, with a poor opening weekend, so folks hear about it being great and go see it.I hope it makes a lot of money, but with a bad opening weekend, Disney figures out that their advertising was the issue, rather than the movie.
    Yeah...im being a jackass by wanting to watch it fail.....for my own personal vandeta against a site.
    Its dumb.
    I wish it succeeds.
    My agenda is just stupid.

Interestingly enough I had decided not to see it the first weekend and wait as a minor protest. I may have a lot of concerns with the movie but I still plan on seeing just not opening weekend.