Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Interestingly enough I had decided not to see it the first weekend and wait as a minor protest. I may have a lot of concerns with the movie but I still plan on seeing just not opening weekend.
    You know why i want this movie to succeed now?
    Because my entire youtube feed is filled with people talking about boycots and protests and conspiracy theories about this movie...
    Its filled with people full of rage.
    And the funny part is that they are behaving EVEN WORSE than the people they are against.

So now...i want to see it succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Because my entire youtube feed is filled with people talking about boycots and protests and conspiracy theories about this movie...
    And the funny part is that they are behaving EVEN WORSE than the people they are against.

Okay? Good for you I guess?

I already wanted this movie to succeed because I like Marvel movies and want them to keep coming out.

But, I get this. I'd say a lot in support of your commentary here, but I suspect that might diverge into off topic discussion.

So damn good.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who is not in to these superhero movies and kinda watches from the sideline, I must still admit the suspense is tangible. I'd really like to know how this movie will perform, seeing the masse media shitstorm it has stirred. Youtube is filled to the brim with regurgitated subjects about the main actress and the suspected plot. If this movie bombs, they will have fuel for years. If it cashes in hard, they will get even angrier. The exact opposite reactions can be expected from film critics and the likes (genuine question, do people actually use what these critics say?). It's almost a movie in itself.
    But now the biggest part,
    is all about the image
    and not the art

Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    As someone who is not in to these superhero movies and kinda watches from the sideline, I must still admit the suspense is tangible. I'd really like to know how this movie will perform, seeing the masse media shitstorm it has stirred. Youtube is filled to the brim with regurgitated subjects about the main actress and the suspected plot. If this movie bombs, they will have fuel for years. If it cashes in hard, they will get even angrier. The exact opposite reactions can be expected from film critics and the likes (genuine question, do people actually use what these critics say?). It's almost a movie in itself.
    At the risk of dipping my toe in forbidden waters, I can't help but feel like the scope of the media shitstorm is probably a lot less than people think it is. I blame social media for inflating ridiculousness. But otherwise I agree with your conclusions regarding reactions to the movie's success/failure.

Regarding critics, for the most part I ignore them. Sometimes I will listen/read what a critic has to say if it's someone I generally find has similar tastes as me, but even then I rarely use it to conclude if I should see or not see a film.

mods are too trigger happy in this thread im out.

Enjoy or not enjoy the film all.

At the end of the day another marvel film or 500 will follow it. So its really nothing in the greater schemes of things.

Peace xo

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    At the risk of dipping my toe in forbidden waters, I can't help but feel like the scope of the media shitstorm is probably a lot less than people think it is. I blame social media for inflating ridiculousness. But otherwise I agree with your conclusions regarding reactions to the movie's success/failure.

Regarding critics, for the most part I ignore them. Sometimes I will listen/read what a critic has to say if it's someone I generally find has similar tastes as me, but even then I rarely use it to conclude if I should see or not see a film.
    You got it right, honestly. All the faux outrage and you know all these people are going to go in and be pleasantly surprised.

I don't bother with the critics too much. I especially ignore audience reviews.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

will skip this

vote with your money

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently some people I know are planning to all go and see Alita on the 8th, as a form of soft protest. Either that, or go and buy a ticket for Alita, then sneak into Captain Marvel.

Kind of a funny idea. I’m just glad Alita is getting some love, I really enjoyed that film.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Apparently some people I know are planning to all go and see Alita on the 8th, as a form of soft protest. Either that, or go and buy a ticket for Alita, then sneak into Captain Marvel.

Kind of a funny idea. I’m just glad Alita is getting some love, I really enjoyed that film.
    Well the good thing to come out of it is if enough people go see Alita instead then we'll definitely get that sequel. Which is great as I loved that movie and it deserves a sequel. lol

But I do think Captain Marvel will be fine regardless. I know I am going to see it because I like Captain Marvel and I like the marvel movies. I don;t think Captain Marvel will be the big success like GotG, Black Panther or Avengers. It'll do fine but it wont bring in huge numbers.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-03-02 at 01:09 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    How you not freaked out by Alita eyes? That stuff gave me an nightmares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    What’s the best film to watch to really get a sense of Brie’s acting at her best? The Room? The only thing I’ve ever seen with her in it was Kong Skull Island and I couldn’t help but think she was really phoning it in.
    No not The Room. The Room is one of the worst movies ever made and Brie isn't even in it.
    However you can watch "Room" because that was the role that gave her an Oscar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Who was it made for then? I thought it was made for fans of the MCU, comic movies, etc. Are you said that's NOT who it was made for?
    Ofc these movies are made for the fans of MCU. But CM is just like BP in one way. To give a certain group of people someone they can relate to, look up to and just be proud over. Not gonna lie but as a white man it is hard to really understand that feeling because lets face it, we're the main protagonist in 90% of the movies we watch.
    It is just fun that some people can now see themself as the superhero, like BP did for black people and what WW and now CM will do for women.

- - - Updated - - -

Many people want to watch this movie fail.

Which is sad...really, its really sad.

But i am already biased myself, but for different reasons.
    What i want to happen:
    .I want this movie to be bad, incredibly bad and for Rotten Tomatoes to give it a 97% score.
    Just so i can say RT score is broken.

Its never gonna happen though...because i dont see Marvel suddenly having a incredible bad movie out of nowhere.

So...probably going to be a decent movie.
    Technically at least.
    But RT is not even giving movies a "score"...
    They are just taking all the critics review and see how many of those people think the movie is worth a watch compared to those who think it ain't.
    They are not pulling a random number out of their ass, nor based on their own movie review.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Well the good thing to come out of it is if enough people go see Alita instead then we'll definitely get that sequel. Which is great as I loved that movie and it deserves a sequel. lol
    Haha, exactly! Anything which increases Alita Box Office is fine by me! Great film and I know it was something of a passion project, so I want see that rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreo View Post
    How you not freaked out by Alita eyes? That stuff gave me an nightmares.
    TBH, it’s a little jarring for the first five minutes or so, after that you just get used to it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

screw comic book movies dudes, screw em straight to the moon
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Why is it every time a woman stars in a movie it has to be because of ''activism''?

Why all the hate for this movie even?
    Because it's a trend, rebooting an existing franchise and replace the male characters with women, but tell the same story, but poorly. That's what Ghostbusters 2016 was.

Now, Captain Marvel didn't have that issue since the current version in comics is a woman. Same as Wonder Woman movie where the character was always a woman to begin with anyway.
    No, the main problem came when the actress playing the main character decided to, in her interviews, start LECTURING the audience and belittling a big chunk of people who go watch Marvel movies and were set go watch it to begin with.
    That's a self-destructive path on which Ghostbusters 2016 went after the negative response from announcement trailer, putting all the blame on one specific demographic.

The LAST THING you would wanna do is something to alienate your audience and getting them turned off completely when you should be promoting it so that as many people as possible would come watch the movie.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2019-03-02 at 01:30 PM.

Source to what she said/did? This is all news to me.
    she had the audacity to say that she would like a more diverse group of interviewers at her press junket. thats literally it.

i got my tickets weeks ago for opening night, cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    No, the main problem came when the actress playing the main character decided to, in her interviews, start LECTURING the audience and belittling a big chunk of people who go watch Marvel movies and were set go watch it to begin with.
    That's a self-destructive path on which Ghostbusters 2016 went after the negative response from announcement trailer, putting all the blame on one specific demographic.
    Not actually what happened. Her comments were about a specific movie that she liked. It was not a general comment about all movies or all reviews. She thought a wrinkle in time was good because it fits her demographic. She commented that old white men were not the demographic yet thats whos reviews everyone sees when they look at reviews online. She commented that she wanted more than just them doing reviews but she said it in an unflattering way. It was then taken out of context to mean all movies instead of just the one movie she was talking about.

It was then weaponized by trolls to try and create negative hype around the movie.

A few weeks ago tracking numbers came out, some had it higher than others. You know what happened? People took the high number subtracted the low number and then a few hundred videos started popping up on youtube about how Captain Marvel lost 80 million dollars. Then to further troll they started bombing the audience thing on Rotten Tomatoes saying they dont want to see the movie. And like clockwork a few hundred videos started popping up on youtube talking about how Captain marvel already had a rotten raiting and no one wanted to see it even though pre ticket sales are 3rd in the MCU behind Infinity war and black panther.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    she had the audacity to say that she would like a more diverse group of interviewers at her press junket. thats literally it.

Actually not at her press junkets. Just junkets in general.

Source to what she said/did? This is all news to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post

Say how she actually said: "She didn't want her press tour to be overwhelmingly white male." or "I don't need 40-year-old white men telling me what he doesn't like..."
    Also, *knock knock* "Uh oh, here comes the patriarchy."

ALso, when you're starting to hire people based on thier biology instead of merit, you're doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2019-03-02 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Not actually what happened. Her comments were about a specific movie that she liked. It was not a general comment about all movies or all reviews. She thought a wrinkle in time was good because it fits her demographic. She commented that old white men were not the demographic yet thats whos reviews everyone sees when they look at reviews online. She commented that she wanted more than just them doing reviews but she said it in an unflattering way. It was then taken out of context to mean all movies instead of just the one movie she was talking about.

It was then weaponized by trolls to try and create negative hype around the movie.

A few weeks ago tracking numbers came out, some had it higher than others. You know what happened? People took the high number subtracted the low number and then a few hundred videos started popping up on youtube about how Captain Marvel lost 80 million dollars. Then to further troll they started bombing the audience thing on Rotten Tomatoes saying they dont want to see the movie. And like clockwork a few hundred videos started popping up on youtube talking about how Captain marvel already had a rotten raiting and no one wanted to see it even though pre ticket sales are 3rd in the MCU behind Infinity war and black panther.

Actually not at her press junkets. Just junkets in general.
    that is a junket is that is not a press junket?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Say how she actually said: "She didn't want her press tour to be overwhelmingly white male." or "I don't need 40-year-old white men telling me what he doesn't like..."
    Also, *knock knock* "Uh oh, here comes the patriarchy."

ALso, when you're starting to hire people based on thier biology instead of merit, you're doing something wrong.
    ok. thats what she exactly said. just a longer version of what i said. brie is great and i support her, cant wait to see the movie, it looks killer.

things that are subjective like criticism, interviewing, etc are things that are very impacted one's cultural background and so on. I know you think we live in a meritocracy, but "merit" isnt the only thing that matters.
    Last edited by NihilSustinet; 2019-03-02 at 02:02 PM.