Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 76 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    For Silver Surfer we'll definitely need the Four. And in the age of women empowerment they may do Spider-woman, She-Hulk and Elektra in the upcoming ones.
    I imagine they're going to start experimenting with newer characters like Kamala Khan and Squirrel Girl sooner or later. They're hits in other media.

She-Hulk is one I'd really like to see. I was hoping for a while that Netflix would pick her up and add some comedy to their mini-MCU, but that's no longer a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    You can't be surprised all the men are being presented as douche bags.
    Horseshit.

The major men in the film are Nick Fury, small part by Coulson, Yon-Rogg and Ben Mendelsohn's Skrull. Mendelsohn is fantastic and one of the best performances in the film. Nick Fury is Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson and gets a lot of screen time and cool shit to do. Coulson's part isn't that big but he comes off well. Yon-Rogg is of course the "twist" villain so yeah he's portrayed as such. I thought he was decent enough, Yon-Rogg is a pretty thin character in the comics really.

So no. But don't let me interrupt your bias confirmation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    what are you even talking about? there was nothing political in the film. someone is injecting their own agenda into it.
    Yeah honestly if this is their threshold for "political bullshit" then I don't know how they've managed to watch any film made after 1950 at the latest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Silver Surfer would be great for one of those long moody philosophical movies because that's basically what his comics were.
    I would LOVE a really good Silver Surfer film. Recently finished reading all his '60s appearances, he's such a great character.

They have to set up FF and Galactus first though IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Carol 'Avenger' Danvers Is this for fucking real? Because wow my expectations for Endgame are plummeting.
    Want to know why they were called the Avengers in the comics?

Wasp made it up on the spur of the moment, a propos of nothing. They weren't even avenging anything at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    If you say so! They've come out and said it's a feminist film, and many people are noticing all the times they try and push their political bullshit within the film. I'm not going to spoil or even get into the film with you. It's not worth my time. This is my last post in this thread. Going to put this garbage behind me and hope it doesn't infect the rest of the Marvel movies.
    Tell me one scene in the movie that pushes a modern feminist agenda. I am willing to accept your statement if you can provide one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Want to know why they were called the Avengers in the comics?

Wasp made it up on the spur of the moment, a propos of nothing. They weren't even avenging anything at the time.
    There's still the question why they tie the name to a single character all of a sudden. Also, I'd not be comfortable if my wingman was called 'Avenger', seeing how for him to be able to avenge me, I'd have to be shot down. It's just a question of 'why?' The name needs no explanation. It's cool enough as it is. It's similar to explaining where Han Solo got his name from, that was pointless and slightly degrading aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    If you say so! They've come out and said it's a feminist film, and many people are noticing all the times they try and push their political bullshit within the film. I'm not going to spoil or even get into the film with you. It's not worth my time. This is my last post in this thread. Going to put this garbage behind me and hope it doesn't infect the rest of the Marvel movies.
    Show us the quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Other than the inevitably inc fantastic four and xmen, who are the A list superheroes we're missing? You think Moon-Knight will be joining us soon?
    They've pretty much covered every major hero introduced in the Silver Age now, if you count the FF, X-Men and Netflix's Daredevil. And the Inhumans (not that anyone cared), though they didn't really get a steady title until later. There's Hercules, he was an Avenger for a while, but I don't think anyone's super keen on that.

The big one that's missing I suppose is Namor the Sub-Mariner (technically a Golden Age hero), but he's not so popular nowadays so they might not be keen. I'd love to have him come in as an anti-villain at some point...

If they want to keep doing the classics, next up would be Bronze Age so yeah Moon Knight, Ghost Rider (if there's any appetite left for another one of those), Shang-Chi (they might consider him too similar to Iron Fist), Man-Thing (bit out there but maybe), Son of Satan (hoo boy), Eternals, Nova. Devil Dinosaur... now that'd be a weird pitch, but DD and Moon Girl is popular at the moment I think...

Hmm they might bring back Blade at some point.

My money's on newer characters like the aforementioned Kamala Khan and Squirrel Girl though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    There's still the question why they tie the name to a single character all of a sudden. Also, I'd not be comfortable if my wingman was called 'Avenger', seeing how for him to be able to avenge me, I'd have to be shot down. It's just a question of 'why?' The name needs no explanation.
    Honestly it kind of does. The name never made sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I used to be crazy into playing cards all thru the 1990s and the timeline in this film was really screwed up. On the entrance door to the bar there was an ad for texas hold em. Now, back in the early to mid 1990s (and trust me with all the box cars everyone is driving, this is early to mid 1990s. cars became more aerodynamic in the late 1990s) texas hold em wasn't a thing. The king of card games back then was euchre. There was MASSIVE euchre tournaments on campus when i was in college in the early to mid 1990s. Many also played spades and hearts. Nobody played poker. Hold em became popular only at the very end of the 1990s. Poker Stars website didn't even launch until 2001. Chris Moneymaker won the big tournament in 2003.

But no, you wouldnt see an ad for texas hold em on a bar entrance door in the early to mid 1990s.
    I agree about euchre being big during that time frame but many local bars around my area had Texas hold em nights. But then I wasn't on a collage town or anywhere near one. Plenty of lower class people and bikers around my area then. They weren't a big euchre crowd.

You know, you should smile more.

/Suicide

It's a 6 movie. Alright but fuck me were some of their choices cringey as fuck. And it didn't help that the one liners in fights we're just awkward. That's a complaint I'd lob at a lot of Marvel movies, but it just felt worse. Bantering with people in non fights wasn't too bad. And I actually was annoyed by that little girl and her 'pep talk' to her mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Honestly it kind of does. The name never made sense.
    But it doesn't make sense now, either. Call them Protectors, Sentinels, Guardians, whatever. Avenging means that you already suffered a grievance. The only reason why the name stuck was because it sounded cool, and Starks line about avenging the earth was pretty badass. 'Cool' things usually don't need explaining. In fact, most of the time, it makes them less interesting if they are given a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Brie is not a great actress, I didn't feel like she has range.
    Have you seen Room? She deservedly won a sackful of awards for that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You know, you should smile more.

/Suicide

It's a 6 movie. Alright but fuck me were some of their choices cringey as fuck. And it didn't help that the one liners in fights we're just awkward. That's a complaint I'd lob at a lot of Marvel movies, but it just felt worse. Bantering with people in non fights wasn't too bad. And I actually was annoyed by that little girl and her 'pep talk' to her mom.
    so no movie ever is allowed to include asshole men, because sjws? get over yourself. it felt perfectly natural to me, and you needed the guy to be unlikable because then you dont feel bad for her stealing his bike. if you do something bad to a character the audience doesnt have antipathy for, the protagonist gets the antipathy instead. thats how storytelling works, but sure... mindlessly blame it on feminism because the internet said so.

i will agree, though, that brie was generally bereft of charisma as a whole, and it made her one-liners and a lot of her "human" moments come off as awkward and robotic.
    Last edited by NihilSustinet; 2019-03-08 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    so no movie ever is allowed to include asshole men, because sjws? get over yourself. it felt perfectly natural to me, and you needed the guy to be unlikable because then you dont feel bad for her stealing his bike. if you do something bad to a character the audience doesnt have antipathy for, the protagonist gets the antipathy instead. thats how storytelling works, but sure... mindlessly blame it on feminism because the internet said so.

i will agree, though, that brie was generally bereft of charisma as a whole, and it made her one-liners and a lot of her "human" moments come off as awkward and robotic.
    So is she bad for stealing or is it fine to steal as long as they steal from people who say something you don't like? Doesn't sound very heroic. If anything, she's worse by being a criminal vs being a jackass. And did motorcycle dude own the clothes she stole?

I actually don't care that she stole. But saying it's okay to steal from people you don't like seems like a shit lesson for kids.

Middle of the road Marvel movie.

Shame Brie Larson us such a fucking sexist cunt offscreen that it has tainted this character and possibly the whole MCU going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    Have you seen Room? She deservedly won a sackful of awards for that performance.
    I haven't. If you say it's good, and she's good in it, I believe you. That doesn't mean that her performance in CM is good, though, and it doesn't make her immune to criticism. M. Night Shyamalan (spelling..?) was a critically acclaimed director, and it went to his head, and his career suffered greatly for it. He might just now bounce back. Jesse Eisenberg is an actwor whom I enjoy, but he was a terrible miscast as Lex Luthor. The performance itself was great, but didn't fit the character whatsoever.

You can have the greatest Knife in the world. The Knife to end all Knives. If you need a hammer, it won't do you any good.

That's how I feel abhout Larson's Danvers. She's just not the right type for the role. The Danvers I've seen, from pages from the comic, oozes strength. Not strength of character, or willpower, but raw physical strength. Larson just doesn't do that. That doesn't mean she's a bad actress, but she's simply not bad-ass. Give her a cold, calculating role, a manipulator, some sort of sorceress, I'm sure the MCU has plenty of characters like that to offer. She looks to much like the Girl next door, and not enough like Sergeant kicksyourteethin if you give her shit.

Look at the MCU. Start switching a few roles around. Do you thing Hemsworth would have been a good Tony Stark, or RDJr a good Thor? No. They're not the type.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Maybe you missed it, but a while ago there was a CA movie where they decided it was heroic to break the law.
    A whole movie exploring the idea of ignoring regulation to potentially save lives vs revenge against a jackass that never shows up again. He doesn't even do a "where's my bike?" scene.

And we never saw them return the truck they “borrowed” in Civil War. What’s your point? Also, she ignored the law she didn’t know anything about to save the entire planet. Pretty sure that falls under your saving
    lives clause.
    I highly doubt that motorcycle theft helped the planet. That plane she jacked? Yes. The bike is just petty revenge against a jackass.

She wouldn’t have gotten to the plane if she hadn’t stolen the bike. I get it though, you’re nitpicking a movie about a woman who shoots photon beams from her hands that exists in a world where Marvel comics exist and so do real world versions of the heroes said comics portray.
    Oops Looks like we Ghostbusters now. Play the woman hate card.

Your reading comprehension sucks. That’s not what I said kiddo.
    Then why did it matter that she was a woman since you mentioned it?

Because she’s a woman and that’s the accurate way to describe her? I know, shocking shit.
    No, you complained about me nitpicking a WOMAN, not the movie.

I enjoyed it! Probably Marvel's worst marketing for a film in my opinion.

I liked it more than Black Panther, primarily the pacing was better for me. There wasn't much slow down. I felt it was on par with what I expected, about similar to Doctor Strange and other first appearance films.

Still not sold on Larson being the face of the MCU going forward, but she didn't seem as overpowered as they talked her up. She has a moment of serious power display, but not enough that she makes Thor look like a lightweight.

I will say this, and I don't think it's super spoilery, but I'll use tags anyway:

The most "women empowerment" visual from the trailers - her getting up after getting knocked down over and over......isn't even played as such in the film. It's more about her being human and that's a human trait - that we keep persevering against the odds.

There are a couple of scenes people will probably say are SJWy/pandering, but if they're enough to cry foul over, I feel like someone is being extremely nitpicky.

There's one change die hard purists will probably dislike in relation to her origins, but I felt it was pretty well aligned with what I understand her origins to be.

I know @Endus said he's been a fan of the character. I think he'll love the film.

There are flaws, and a couple decisions I'm not a huge fan of, but it's good and fun on par with other Marvel origin films. Goose is exactly what he is in the comics.

They had a new "Marvel Studios" logo at the beginning that replaced the images of all the different characters throughout the MCU and I hope they use it for Endgame. It's every Stan Lee cameo

Stan Lee's cameo is a fitting pop culture reference. It's kind of similar to another cameo he's done, but I liked the tie in to a certain thing in the time period.

Bullshit. I specifically said you were nitpicking the movie and then described what the movie was about. A fantastical hero who exists in a world where characters like iron man existed before they became a reality. It’s pretty clear what you’re trying to do at this point though, so I’ll leave it there.
    Then you can tell me. I just thought that scene was cringey as fuck but I'm clearly not allowed to say that.