Poll: Who is the most iconic

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Vader is easily the most iconic on the list. Name one line Batman has that permeates pop culture the way Vader has?
    "I'm Batman."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    "I'm Batman."
    Not even close.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    A series about an intergalactic war set in a universe with a mystical presence that binds everything together is more nerdy than a guy in underwear dressing up as a bat to fight crime?

Kek.
    Your gross over-simplification aside, the Batman brand has spun innumerous more works in every media facet possible and diverse stories than Star Wars has in its limited Galaxy, Far, Far Away. You take away the Jedi/Sith and what do you have left? Disney scrapped the EU.

It's never about spoken lines, it's all about the imagery...or "icon."

Not even close.
    It's not as quoted, but that's because Batman has said many epic things in the character's near 80 year-old existence. Just being Batman makes him memorable in pop culture.

Vader or Batman pretty easily. Batman edging it out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    A lot of people saying Vader, but honestly you can't get more iconic the Superman.
    I'm assuming that's why he was left off the list.

Deleted
    Your gross over-simplification aside, the Batman brand has spun innumerous more works in every media facet possible and diverse stories than Star Wars has in its limited Galaxy, Far, Far Away. You take away the Jedi/Sith and what do you have left? Disney scrapped the EU.
    Which immediately implies people forget about things like Boba Fett, the Millenium Falcon, starships, stormtroopers, not to mention all of the EU stories that are suddenly wiped from everyone's memories just because Disney as property owner declared those stories non-existant, stories that apply to an equally non-existent universe.

But hey, gross over-simplification aside, declaring the quantity of a brand superior to the quality when it comes to how iconic it is is also completely sensible and not oversimplifying it.

Sure, through a specific lense.
    Coincidentally, I know more people that watch SW than Batman, because SW is a more cohesive universe when it comes to power levels; a rich kid with lots of issues sharing a universe with an alien that looks just like a human but gets laser eyes because Earth has a yellow sun isn't that believable to some.

Funny how anecdotal evidence works amiright.
    Oh come on, seriously? You're going down the rabbit hole of believability to play devil's advocate for Star Wars being logical within its own scope? I'd expect that from a Trekkie, but you can't seriously argue Star Wars is anymore logical in its own universe's rules and power scaling than Star Wars. The Force by its very nature can be played as a deus-ex machina.

"I can't make the shot, it's too hard."
    "Luke, close your eyes and concentrate... use The Force."
    *John Williams' score.*
    "I did it, I did it, yayayay!"

It's not as quoted, but that's because Batman has said many epic things in the character's near 80 year-old existence. Just being Batman makes him memorable in pop culture.
    Sure, but that wasn't my point. "No Luke, I am your father". Is a line so iconic that it has been spoofed, referenced, homaged more times than ANYTHING Bats has EVER said.

Just being Vader makes him Memorable in pop Culture.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Dressing up like a bat and punching people is the core of Batman. Also you think Batman is realistic? Like really?
    how each person deals with grief and loss is different but its an undeniable fact we all experience loss at some point. Which is a key theme of batman

Deleted
    Oh come on, seriously? You're going down the rabbit hole of believability to play devil's advocate for Star Wars being logical within its own scope? I'd expect that from a Trekkie, but you can't seriously argue Star Wars is anymore logical in its own universe's rules and power scaling than Star Wars. The Force by its very nature can be played as a deus-ex machina.

"I can't make the shot, it's too hard."
    "Luke, close your eyes and concentrate... use The Force."
    *John Williams' score.*
    "I did it, I did it, yayayay!"
    Except I can, because Batman lives in a similarly fictional universe where it's only logical in its own scope.

How often has Superman been used by DC to save the day when Batman couldn't simply because 'he's from Krypton, so he's super strong but we never specify how strong exactly'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    A lot of people saying Vader, but honestly you can't get more iconic the Superman. He isn't just iconic, but when you see a character close to Superman it's just a cliché. For every Kylo Ren there are probably a 100 Captain Marvels.
    Superman as an icon would probably top the list. Everyone knows that logo as much as Batman's.

Pretty much mythic anymore:

Spiderman > Batsy > Vader

Which immediately implies people forget about things like Boba Fett, the Millenium Falcon, starships, stormtroopers, not to mention all of the EU stories that are suddenly wiped from everyone's memories just because Disney as property owner declared those stories non-existant, stories that apply to an equally non-existent universe.

But hey, gross over-simplification aside, declaring the quantity of a brand superior to the quality when it comes to how iconic it is is also completely sensible and not oversimplifying it.
    The Millennium Falcon is a ship, what, is Disney going to make Millennium Falcon: A Star Wars Story about how it was built? I wouldn't put much stock in anything outside of the Jedi story after Solo's performance and reception.

Quantity and quality, you act like every Batman film was made by Joel Schumacher.

- - - Updated - - -

Except I can, because Batman lives in a similarly fictional universe where it's only logical in its own scope.

How often has Superman been used by DC to save the day when Batman couldn't simply because 'he's from Krypton, so he's super strong but we never specify how strong exactly'.
    Batman is part of a shared universe unlike Vader in Star Wars. The Batman universe exists within a larger universe and characters intersect. Superman saves his ass sometimes and Batman has saved Superman's ass many times himself. That doesn't diminish the character brand or development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta go with Batman. Was a toss up between him and Spiderman but I think Batman has overall more pop culture relevancy throughout the years. Darth Vader is up there for sure but I still think he's not anywhere near as iconic as Batman.

Sure, but that wasn't my point. "No Luke, I am your father". Is a line so iconic that it has been spoofed, referenced, homaged more times than ANYTHING Bats has EVER said.

Just being Vader makes him Memorable in pop Culture.
    Fair enough, but without a pop-culture phenomenal line, Batman has been spoofed and paid homage to in every facet of the media, comparable to or perhaps more so than Vader. I would even go as far as to say Vader's a one trick pony. I don't exactly see many spoofs of him being a half-burned cyborg except maybe in Robot Chicken, but not SNL or any other comedy. It's just that one line. Batman's many aspects have been paid homage to and spoofed however, from his costume, to his utility belt, secret identity, cool car, gadgets, his family, his rich boy status, his connection to his villains, his relationship to Robin, Batgirl, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm stuck between Darth Vader and Batman..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Batman

Strange enough everyone seems to like the old batman logo even if they don't know anything about batman and never touched a comic before

Vader on the other hand is only populair because of the movies and there are plenty of people who have never watched starwars.

Deleted
    The Millennium Falcon is a ship, what, is Disney going to make Millennium Falcon: A Star Wars Story about how it was built? I wouldn't put much stock in anything outside of the Jedi story after Solo's performance and reception.

Quantity and quality, you act like every Batman film was made by Joel Schumacher.

Batman is part of a shared universe unlike Vader in Star Wars. The Batman universe exists within a larger universe and characters intersect. Superman saves his ass sometimes and Batman has saved Superman's ass many times himself. That doesn't diminish the character brand or development.
    Really, pulling the Solo card? Solo didn't flop because it didn't have lightsabers in it; Rogue One did just fine before people even realised Vader was gnna pull out a lightsaber at all. Solo flopped because of poor marketing, sequel trilogy controversy and lack of interest because no one asked for a Solo origin story.

No, I'm not acting like 'every Batman film was made by Joel Schumacher', I perfectly enjoyed the DC Animated Universe and Christopher Nolan depictions of the character tyvm. I'm arguing you shouldn't parade Batman is more iconic just because he's older and has had more frequent representation.

Actually, Batman is part of multiple universes, because depending on the author/director/writer, Batman has more than one interpretation, unlike Vader whom, like every SW character, is part of the same universe. In one universe Batman can't beat the Joker in a fistfight, in another he can defeat Superman without using Kryptonite.
    No, it doesn't diminish the brand or development, because that's not what we were arguing over in that regard. It diminishes the relatability of his character when you take into account there are effectively multiple Batman.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Vader is easily the most iconic on the list. Name one line Batman has that permeates pop culture the way Vader has?
    "To the batmobile!"

It might be unbeliavable to you, but most people over 55 have never seen Star Wars or now anything about it. But Batman? Everybody has seen at least one version of it