Thread: Weird XP Gain

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Weird XP Gain

My GF an I are levelling together. Same heirloom gear, same quests, same gathering professions. Yet every 2-3 play sessions, she's 30-40% ahead of me in XP. I play warrior, she on her priest. No potions or other XP bonuses that Im aware of. WE also both have always rest XP active.

Any explanation as to why? Do allied races get an XP bonus?

EDIT: Mystery solved, my shoulders were not upgraded past 60.
    Mystery not solved. She's still getting more than me for some reason.
    Mystery actually solved. It's 2 parts.

1) I wasn't wearing upgraded heirloom shoulders.
    But stranger still...
    2) At about the ~20-30% mark, mob scaling behaves strangely, and since she was already ahead of me, she hit that 'threshold' and mobs would be higher level for her, giving her more xp than me, even if we were the same level.

At level 68.2, I would get 10% less XP than her at 68.5 for the same mobs/quests.
    Last edited by chazus; 2018-09-26 at 06:21 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    she's cheating on you with another leveller

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    My GF an I are levelling together. Same heirloom gear, same quests, same gathering professions. Yet every 2-3 play sessions, she's 30-40% ahead of me in XP. I play warrior, she on her priest. No potions or other XP bonuses that Im aware of. WE also both have always rest XP active.

Any explanation as to why?
    I've had a friend who has dual boxxed alts together and they come out to weird XP percentages as well. I really feel like there is some weird bug in the 110-120 grind.

i noticed this with a friend of mine. he's always like a quest and half's worth ahead of me.

maybe she wore a ring by accident or something when you didn't have one on?

not sure though, it's fucking annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I've had a friend who has dual boxxed alts together and they come out to weird XP percentages as well. I really feel like there is some weird bug in the 110-120 grind.
    Right now we're 68, but every few days I have to spend another 20-30 minutes grinding to catch up
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

you get exp for mining and herbing. are you gathering while questing? both of those yield good exp when farming on my lower alts.

Are you guys logging out in the same place all the time? Probably a dumb question but hey.

15+ Year Old Account
    Was it a recruit-a-friend linked account?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

I've heard you get xp on mobs based on what % of the dmg you did to them. So if you're tanking them and she's bursting them down, she'll get more xp?

maybe rested experience...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    you get exp for mining and herbing. are you gathering while questing? both of those yield good exp when farming on my lower alts.
    We're gathering both
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Are you guys logging out in the same place all the time? Probably a dumb question but hey.
    Usually yeah, but we've never not had rest xp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sativex View Post
    Was it a recruit-a-friend linked account?
    Nope.

I just tested, and she's getting a good 11-12% more XP than me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marakara View Post
    I've heard you get xp on mobs based on what % of the dmg you did to them. So if you're tanking them and she's bursting them down, she'll get more xp?
    Def not. I did 100% damage while she stood there and did nothing... I got 594, she did 666.

Deleted

Any explanation as to why?
    Have you upgraded your heirlooms to work above level 60? You can upgrade them to higher levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raizee View Post
    Have you upgraded your heirlooms to work above level 60? You can upgrade them to higher levels.
    BIngo, that was it. My shoulders are 0/3 and stopped at 60. I didnt even check that.

I fixed my shoulders, but she's still getting ~5% more than me now that everything is upgraded.
    Last edited by chazus; 2018-09-26 at 05:36 AM.

I have had this problem too while leveling with a friend the past year. Despite making sure we both get rested and we both use the same amount of heirloom experience items one of us always gets a tiny bit ahead of the other somehow. Minor issue I would say but still an odd one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do allied races get an XP boost?

BIngo, that was it. My shoulders are 0/3 and stopped at 60. I didnt even check that.

I fixed my shoulders, but she's still getting ~5% more than me now that everything is upgraded.
    Hey then you just have to grind for 5-10 mins extra everytime, success!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah they start at 20 so if you started at 1 then we understand why you are behind (I had to)

10+ Year Old Account
    We may have sorted it out... Apparently scaling is weird, and not on a per-level basis. Someone who is 68.7 gets higher level mobs than someone who is 68.4

OR

We noticed we started getting the same XP after I turned in a quest... Its possible the game didnt do an 'xp check' until I completed it.
    Last edited by chazus; 2018-09-26 at 05:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lightforged get a bonus vs demons, not sure about others. Also, check to see if you accidentally swapped out your 5% XP gem.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Lightforged get a bonus vs demons, not sure about others. Also, check to see if you accidentally swapped out your 5% XP gem.
    SHe's void elf... But what XP gem? We don't have one but I wasn't even aware of it.

Is she using the 5% ring heirlooms?