When is it worth switching specs?

Hi all, so I'm fairly new to Rogue having picked it up as a main when 8.0 hit. I started Assassination but have been Outlaw for BfA and am currently at 358 ilvl. My Outlaw weapons are 370/365 and I perform quite well (11-16k ST depending on RtB rolls) and of course Outlaw's cleave is very strong so I feel my output is good on AoE fights. My concern is that Outlaw's not consistent enough for ST fights and may not hold up even on cleave as I'm really not sure how good the other specs are at it.

I look at all the logs and obviously see that Sub/Sin are far more commonly played and I wonder if that's because they straight up out-perform Outlaw or if it's because most people don't like the RNG aspect of it. I'm 10 ilvls higher than the other Rogue in my guild who's Sin and most of the time I'm above him but if my rolls are bad or I mess up my rotation he will beat me.

My question is when would Sub/Sin be worth switching to in my situation? I wouldn't think getting 340 daggers just to change would be a good idea, and farming M+ for them isn't worth the headache of +8s for a comparable ilvl. My best bet is to loot spec sub and hope I get some from raids next week.

Also is Sin still simming well after the SS nerf? As I understand that trait is a big reason why it was competitive, am I incorrect in that?

Thanks in advance for your input/advice.

Do Your guild require You to switch?

If not and you are enjoying the spec, why change it?

7+ Year Old Account
    If it's the case that you enjoy one spec over all others, it's certainly viable to remain that way. Though if you are enjoying multiple specs (as I do with Sin and Outlaw), I'd suggest Outlaw for most AoE heavy fights, while switching to Sin/Sub for ST or cleave.

I run Sin on Mother where I'm able to remain with the final group to funnel as much dps as possible into the boss, instead of the adds. It's pretty awesome.

For Zek or Zul, you may consider Outlaw.

Saying that, I'm not especially clued up on the latest thoughts on Rogue specs, and would also like to know the best strategies in switching spec to get the most out of content.

Quote Originally Posted by waszak View Post
    Do Your guild require You to switch?

If not and you are enjoying the spec, why change it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    If it's the case that you enjoy one spec over all others, it's certainly viable to remain that way.
    This, play what you like...

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    Hi all, so I'm fairly new to Rogue having picked it up as a main when 8.0 hit. I started Assassination but have been Outlaw for BfA and am currently at 358 ilvl. My Outlaw weapons are 370/365 and I perform quite well (11-16k ST depending on RtB rolls) and of course Outlaw's cleave is very strong so I feel my output is good on AoE fights. My concern is that Outlaw's not consistent enough for ST fights and may not hold up even on cleave as I'm really not sure how good the other specs are at it.

I look at all the logs and obviously see that Sub/Sin are far more commonly played and I wonder if that's because they straight up out-perform Outlaw or if it's because most people don't like the RNG aspect of it. I'm 10 ilvls higher than the other Rogue in my guild who's Sin and most of the time I'm above him but if my rolls are bad or I mess up my rotation he will beat me.

My question is when would Sub/Sin be worth switching to in my situation? I wouldn't think getting 340 daggers just to change would be a good idea, and farming M+ for them isn't worth the headache of +8s for a comparable ilvl. My best bet is to loot spec sub and hope I get some from raids next week.

Also is Sin still simming well after the SS nerf? As I understand that trait is a big reason why it was competitive, am I incorrect in that?

Thanks in advance for your input/advice.
    Sin is still simming well. When to switch is up to you. If performance is bottleneck, sim the output of the various specs. If fun is bottleneck, well, you can fill that in yourself.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

I'm using Assa for raids and Outlaw for M+. That's all.

Deleted
    Swapping specs atm is a bit zzzz due to requiring equal Azerite gear in each slot. Seems Mythic Zul is the only encounter just hard requiring Sub

All 3 Rogue specs outside of Mythic Zul are close enough that it doesn't matter. Just play what you want. You may also need to play Assassination or Sub on Mythic Fetid but if you're doing those bosses you wouldn't be asking this question anyways, though apparently you can do 16k DPS at 358 ilvl which means you're apparently stronger than a simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixxis View Post
    All 3 Rogue specs outside of Mythic Zul are close enough that it doesn't matter. Just play what you want. You may also need to play Assassination or Sub on Mythic Fetid but if you're doing those bosses you wouldn't be asking this question anyways, though apparently you can do 16k DPS at 358 ilvl which means you're apparently stronger than a simulation.
    Why would you play Ass/Sub on Mythic Fetid? https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...s/19#boss=2128

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroso View Post
    Why would you play Ass/Sub on Mythic Fetid?
    Because burst is required for killing the adds. Sub is great for killing the small ones and assa is nice for killing the big one while cleaving the boss. The fight has already a lot of RNG and you dont want even more outlaw RNG on top of that. There is a reason only 6 guilds killed fetid with outlaw rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by inlaw View Post
    Because burst is required for killing the adds. Sub is great for killing the small ones and assa is nice for killing the big one while cleaving the boss. The fight has already a lot of RNG and you dont want even more outlaw RNG on top of that. There is a reason only 6 guilds killed fetid with outlaw rogues.
    There's also barely 2000 total parses on that fight right now in Mythic. I'm not understanding how Outlaw doesn't have more than decent burst when it comes to aoe dps either, unless you take down the adds in Mythic Fetid ST. Not familiar with the fight just yet.