Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie AVENGERS: ENDGAME™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not much into the interwebs slang an have no idea what "our pricess is in another castle" means.

Damn..I'm old.
    Err it’s from Super Mario, Original, maybe you’re not that old at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Err it’s from Super Mario, Original, maybe you’re not that old at all.
    I really wish that would be true lol.

But no,yeah I knew it was a Mario reference but that does not imply knowing how the meme is used.Anyway after surfing around that fascinating world I get you know.

The answer is : To do What?

Action movies are extremely formulaic. They all follow the same structure: presentation -1st climax- development -2nd climax -anticlímax -superclimax -epilogue.You can change it a little bit like a climax as the first scene ( quoting John Ford :"You start with an earthquake and go up from there") but few deviate from the formula.

End Game is SOO different of that. "Clobbering time" starts at 2:10 and before that let's see the fight scenes:

1. Avengers subdue crippled Thanos: 10 sc (literally)
    2. Ronin kick asian gang asses: 60 sc
    3. Steve fights himself: 60 sc ( hey,this is an Spiderman meme...fuck I feel younger now).
    4. 2014 Gamora and Nebula killing aliens before Nebula glitches with herself: 30 sc.
    5. Rodey punches Quill: 1 sc.
    6. Ancient One takes astral form out of Banner: 1 sc.
    6. Clint and Nat fights over who do the sacrifice: 45 sc.

That's all( or I think I got it all , I can't remember any other). I don't think for the first 130 minutes there's 4 minutes of fighting.

I just dont see where to fit Carol....at all. "But she could do more that kicking asses!!" ..you ask? Sure.What?

The character does not work at all in the "Licking the wounds" phase. She barely have any emotional connection to any of the other characters. Her attitude is not being sad but being angry about the snapping.She just don't fit here.

She does not fit at all in the "Time travel phase" either. She was not there (at that time) and this phase is about finesse not about punching. What is she gonna do? Recover Loki's Scepter by fighting 2012 Avengers in the Stark Tower? Persuade the Ancient One to lend the time gem(and if you think Hulk is not about subtetly either it's Banner who does this)? Sacrifice herself for the sould gem? If anyone tells me "She should help recover the gems" I just can't see the scene.

Nah,Carol comes when the clobbering time is up as it should be. Maybe another character construction would lead to another situation but this is E199999 Capitan Marvel: talks the bare mininum needed.

And understand this: I think I'm one of the few fans of Carol Danvers ( comics) here ( if there is more they don't say it ...I just read negativity about her).Not my fav , I read "Uncanny X-Men" or "The Punisher" before but I follow her series consistently and I would have wanted a bigger presence but that would imply a total different film.I wanted more Wanda too...WAYYY more Wanda ...and more Strange….and a Hulk who's fucking bigger angry moment is something more that throwing a fucking bench to a lake FFS....but in the movie that we got Carol is when and where she should be(and don't worry: given that she can seemingly fight toe to toe versus the frigging gauntlet we will probably see her punching Galactus or the whole fucking Celestial's court in Cpt.Marvel 2).
    Last edited by PrimiOne; 2019-05-09 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I just dont see where to fit Carol....at all. "But she could do more that kicking asses!!" ..you ask? Sure.What?

The character does not work at all in the "Licking the wounds" phase. She barely have any emotional connection to any of the other characters. Her attitude is not being sad but being angry about the snapping.She just don't fit here.

She does not fit at all in the "Time travel phase" either. She was not there (at that time) and this phase is about finesse not about punching. What is she gonna do? Recover Loki's Scepter by fighting 2012 Avengers in the Stark Tower? Persuade the Ancient One to lend the time gem(and if you think Hulk is not about subtetly either it's Banner who does this)? Sacrifice herself for the sould gem? If anyone tells me "She should help recover the gems" I just can't see the scene.

Nah,Carol comes when the clobbering time is up as it should be. Maybe another character construction would lead to another situation but this is E199999 Capitan Marvel: talks the bare mininum needed.

And understand this: I think I'm one of the few fans of Carol Danvers ( comics) here ( if there is more they don't say it ...I just read negativity about her).Not my fav , I read "Uncanny X-Men" or "The Punisher" before but I follow her series consistently and I would have wanted a bigger presence but that would imply a total different film.I wanted more Wanda too...WAYYY more Wanda ...and more Strange….and a Hulk who's fucking bigger angry moment is something more that throwing a fucking bench to a lake FFS....but in the movie that we got Carol is when and where she should be(and don't worry: given that she can seemingly fight toe to toe versus the frigging gauntlet we will probably see her punching Galactus or the whole fucking Celestial's court in Cpt.Marvel 2).
    For the record, I am quite happy with the Carol we got in the movies. In the comics she's always been hit or miss for me. Your assessment of how she fit in Endgame is spot on. I do find it funny that people were pre-whining that she would undermine all the other characters and just dominate the film, but now people are complaining that she was barely in it.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    For the record, I am quite happy with the Carol we got in the movies. In the comics she's always been hit or miss for me. Your assessment of how she fit in Endgame is spot on. I do find it funny that people were pre-whining that she would undermine all the other characters and just dominate the film, but now people are complaining that she was barely in it.
    I suspect they aren't the same people. Seems more likely the group that is whining that Carol was barely in it were more likely the folks who were whining about the people pre-whining about Marvel undermining everyone else.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I suspect they aren't the same people. Seems more likely the group that is whining that Carol was barely in it were more likely the folks who were whining about the people pre-whining about Marvel undermining everyone else.
    I wasn’t trying to pre-empt anything, and certainly never expected her to outshine Stark or Rodgers; I mean the whole franchise is about them. I just like Carol, Captain Marvel overtook Civil War as my favourite in the franchise. I could make a similar argument about Ant Man who’s whole idea it was, basically felt relegated to comedy stooge for much of the film.

My biggest gripes were the first I mentioned; too many throwbacks and too much sentimentality (which in turn was spoilt by a pop culture reference at every turn to try to lighten the mood), that just took up too much of the film, and it didn’t leave enough really for any of those who came back and/or are sticking around which rushed and gave a weird pace to the big fight.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2019-05-10 at 08:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I could make a similar argument about Ant Man who’s whole idea it was, basically felt relegated to comedy stooge for much of the film.
    Now that you bring it up, I actually liked how they used Antman and his absence to turn him into a surrogate for the viewer in the first half of the film or so. How he was confused and lost, discovering what's happened in the past 5 years post-snap the same way we do. Paul Rudd is genuinely funny and likeable in the role so it fit him well.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leih View Post
    Now that you bring it up, I actually liked how they used Antman and his absence to turn him into a surrogate for the viewer in the first half of the film or so. How he was confused and lost, discovering what's happened in the past 5 years post-snap the same way we do. Paul Rudd is genuinely funny and likeable in the role so it fit him well.
    Agree totally with that first half, and he carries his own Ant Man films so well, but that second half really did him a disservice.

I haven't actually seen the Captain Marvel movie, but looking at her in this movie and in the trailer for Captain Marvel, it seems like she's really phoning her performance in. Does her movie explain why she always seems so bored and disinterested all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Leih View Post
    Yes, using Antman as the everyman anchor was a good move. It worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I haven't actually seen the Captain Marvel movie, but looking at her in this movie and in the trailer for Captain Marvel, it seems like she's really phoning her performance in. Does her movie explain why she always seems so bored and disinterested all the time?
    Well I feel like they shot all her scenes in an afternoon, so they didn't have to pay her as much. That doesn't help much for getting good acting. She has barely any screen time, and most of her "biggest" scenes don't actually require Brie Larson to be on set, since it just looks like a fireball zooming around.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Well I feel like they shot all her scenes in an afternoon, so they didn't have to pay her as much. That doesn't help much for getting good acting. She has barely any screen time, and most of her "biggest" scenes don't actually require Brie Larson to be on set, since it just looks like a fireball zooming around.
    And on top of that, they filmed Endgame before Captain Marvel.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    And on top of that, they filmed Endgame before Captain Marvel.
    Yeah, that can't be easy to get into character for, lol. I don't mind Brie Larson, but she just doesn't seem to be able to do anything interesting with this character. Overall I think they did a great job building the MCU, but you can't always bat a thousand. I do think she might be able eventually make the character better, most of the characters have improved since their introduction. Thor is the perfect example of this, he has become a much more interesting character over time.

I don't really hate Captain Marvel like a lot of people seem too, she just seems very dull to me.

Why did they give Captain America’s shield to falcon instead of Bucky? Was it politics climate in the US (I don’t live there so forgive me if this is dumb)?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz1126 View Post
    Why did they give Captain America’s shield to falcon instead of Bucky? Was it politics climate in the US (I don’t live there so forgive me if this is dumb)?
    Because he does in the comics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both Sam and Bucky have been Captain America at some point in the comics. Everyone expected Bucky to take up the mantle next in the MCU. Giving it to Sam instead is a slight twist to be less predictable, but still staying true to the comics.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    After Bucky died

I mean, Falcon isn't a super soldier, so it's a little odd, especially given he's already got his Falcon gear to use.

On the other hand, he's not a wanted terrorist that has been murdering people for decades, so that's probably a useful thing in the role.

Though, really, I guess he could have given the shield to Bucky without Bucky becoming Captain America. I'd honestly the role just not be filled.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

After Bucky died
    Bucky was not captain America’s choice in the comics. Bucky took up the mantle because Stark asked him to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Can someone PM me the answer to this please: I havent seen Antman/Wasp nor Captain Marvel, but im going to go see Endgame this week. How necessary is it to see those 2 first. Please and thx. And No Spoilers.
    Not at all necessary. Antman will give a bit of story of why he didnt participate in IW, but nothing major

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Based on an interview with the Russo brothers, they went with Sam because they ultimately felt that his mentality was more in sync with Cap than Bucky. They considered Bucky to be somewhat of an opposite to Steve which made them good friends, but not necessarily a good Cap. Also Bucky has notable baggage in the MCU and might still be vulnerable to being used by villains.

I didn't paraphrase that too spectacularly, but hopefully that made some sense