Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Don't listen to anyone in this thread listing ranged classes lol

You want to be competitive? Look at Warcraft logs. Pick a class in the top five.

Your only ranged options are BM or Affliction.

Your melee options are non-Outlaw Rogue, Havoc, Survival, Arms, Frost DK.

Mages, just like most ranged right now, are completely in the shitter. DPS rankings are:

1.Affliction
    2. BM
    3 every melee spec
    4. rest of the ranged
    Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    Which mage spec is currently even in top 10? I'll wait

Spoken like a true heroic pleb. Raiding is about more than WCL aggregate rankings, when will people learn?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    It's amazing to see all the "warlocks are top tier" comments , just because one spec is over performing ( with shitty mechanics nonetheless) while the other 2 specs are subpar and in need of a buff ( demo especially ).
    Oh, btw, this guy here is clueless - he's trolling Warlock forums for years about how Warlocks are bad and devs are apparently out to get them.

Warlocks last 2 years are in permanent state of being OP in raiding. Affliction is literal king of ranged damage dealers for years now, Destruction is fine in all honesty - it is right there with all the ranged such as mages and others and the only spec that seems to be genuinely having issues is Demo. It's kind of funny, calling Destruction subpar now just shows the state of mind warlocks are where topping tables is expected and being merely mid of the chart is "subpar", state of mind being nurtured by years of being top of the food chain.

There is a chance Blizz will take axe to Affliction next patch (because honestly years of being top spec gets old, even for warlocks who long to play something else for a change), but really - as a whole last time Warlocks were genuinely bad for meaningful time period was end of Cataclysm, there was a blip at the start of the Legion which resulted in devs scrambling with unprecedented changes and Affliction being ascended to godhood until today.

As a whole devs seem to be more susceptible to issues with pure classes, because hybrids can always flip to healer/tank and be useful.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2018-09-21 at 08:42 PM.

Rogue. I play a lock and we can be a roller coaster, especially if we are seen as strong early in the expansion. It normally means they shake the specs up and you have to switch to stay competitive (see our current state, it is Affliction or die atm) and we don't get powerful again until the last tier.

Rogue somehow normally excels in every tier and in PvP. With warlock your PvE spec normally cripples you in PvP. Rogue has amazing utility in M+ as well.

Tank, DK, by their nature they are very hard to gut. They might be a tad weak, but usually stand strong by the middle end of expansion as gear ramps up. BrM is a crap shoot it is either powerful or dead.

Warrior I think is a crap shoot as well, but one of the DPS specs is normally a solid contender due to Execute or Burst, rarely sustained anything.

I expect to get gutted as a lock going into 8.1 due to our representation on Mythrax and G'huun (really the G'huun thing has more to do with how well Burning Rush, Gate and teleport simplified running orbs than flat DPS numbers).

For me I always stay with a few classes I love, and I like classes that scale really well with gear. I always feel like Warlock, Warrior and DK scale well with gear. While Rogue I feel like you stay at the same power level despite gear a lot of the time, which some people like.

Healers who fucking knows, the way they balance those guys is a mystery to me. Seems like they throw darts as it rotates heavily who rules and who is meh, also the nature of raiding makes them hard to balance (what is the fight like, how does the damage come etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Oh, btw, this guy here is clueless - he's trolling Warlock forums for years about how Warlocks are bad and devs are apparently out to get them.

Warlocks last 2 years are in permanent state of being OP in raiding. Affliction is literal king of ranged damage dealers for years now, Destruction is fine in all honesty - it is right there with all the ranged such as mages and others and the only spec that seems to be genuinely having issues is Demo. It's kind of funny, calling Destruction subpar now just shows the state of mind warlocks are where topping tables is expected and being merely mid of the chart is "subpar", state of mind being nurtured by years of being top of the food chain.

There is a chance Blizz will take axe to Affliction next patch (because honestly years of being top spec gets old, even for warlocks who long to play something else for a change), but really - as a whole last time Warlocks were genuinely bad for meaningful time period was end of Cataclysm, there was a blip at the start of the Legion which resulted in devs scrambling with unprecedented changes and Affliction being ascended to godhood until today.

As a whole devs seem to be more susceptible to issues with pure classes, because hybrids can always flip to healer/tank and be useful.
    Really Gaidax? I thought we put our differences behind us.

The current state of a class does not correlate with it's past incarnations, it matters little how the class performed in the past , the fact that affliction is strong right now has nothing to do with how strong it was in legion.

But nonetheless affliction is the only outlier ( as I stated), but since you agree demo is "subpar" and destro being subpar means below the mid-pack for all dps not just compared to ranged, even if it is just slightly ( even at max percentiles); Even you advocated for slightly more destro buffs at some point.

Your trigger seems to be whenever someone mentions destruction whether directly or indirectly, for reasons I cannot fathom besides you wanting to prove your superiority with said spec compared to other destruction players.

I'm not sure why you would call someone who disagrees with you a troll, but trolling for years? I'm not sure who's trolling here but maybe you haven't learned enough from your recent ban where this road leads to.

Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    Which mage spec is currently even in top 10? I'll wait
    Frost 2nd best spec for M+. Arcane/Frost are very strong for raiding like always. You don't have to wait anymore, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Naustis View Post
    Frost 2nd best spec for M+. Arcane/Frost are very strong for raiding like always. You don't have to wait anymore, no problem.
    Arcane and Frost are everything but very strong for raiding right now. Frost single target is absolut trash and the only reason people play it on some fights is because of the AOE burst. Arcane was fine before the latest Azerite nerfs, now it's just mediocre overall and ok-ish if you need to burst like on Fetid Devourer.

Overall Mage is nothing but mediocre right now, that's why most mythic guilds only bring 1 to buff the raid.

Frost is good in m+, that's at least true.

Warlock, Mage, Hunter. Rogue if melee, good argument for Warrior too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspawn115 View Post
    Warlock. At least decent and historically upper tier consistently. Damage aside they bring good utility.
    pfft, ha ha-ah.
    they took away our ability to sense demons, our SP/crit buff, gave gateway a insane CD for our ONLY baseline mobility, and nerfed our effective HP into the ground.
    affliction is doing good dps, and that's all the class has since demo and destro were beneath SPriest and 5% won't fix that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really Gaidax? I thought we put our differences behind us.
    I have no clue what you are talking about and I don't really care. I have put a giant X on these forums and on warlock section including pretty much everyone dwelling there. All the people worth having meaningful conversation with moved on to Warlock Discord long time ago.

Fact is Affliction is extremely strong in raiding at the moment, Destruction is, in fact, fine and Demo is underpowered.

Not sure why you are so hellbent on trying to paint Destruction as subpar or something, it is quite literally the best ranged spec in raids right now aside from Hunters and Affliction.

I guess it's "subpar" when compared to Affliction, after all that spec is permanently on top for years now and it's easy to get used to such standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxx View Post
    Arcane and Frost are everything but very strong for raiding right now. Frost single target is absolut trash and the only reason people play it on some fights is because of the AOE burst. Arcane was fine before the latest Azerite nerfs, now it's just mediocre overall and ok-ish if you need to burst like on Fetid Devourer.

Overall Mage is nothing but mediocre right now, that's why most mythic guilds only bring 1 to buff the raid.

Can confirm, go with Lock or Rogue right now over Mage.

I have no clue what you are talking about and I don't really care. I have put a giant X on these forums and on warlock section including pretty much everyone dwelling there. All the people worth having meaningful conversation with moved on to Warlock Discord long time ago.

Fact is Affliction is extremely strong in raiding at the moment, Destruction is, in fact, fine and Demo is underpowered.

Not sure why you are so hellbent on trying to paint Destruction as subpar or something, it is quite literally the best ranged spec in raids right now aside from Hunters and Affliction.

I guess it's "subpar" when compared to Affliction, after all that spec is permanently on top for years now and it's easy to get used to such standards.
    But this thread is about all dps specs not just ranged, melee specs are ahead of most ranged specs atm.

Destruction might be better than a lot of the ranged specs but it's still middle tier at best ( if played above 90%) , but since you can't expect everyone to play at 90+% you can say that it's somewhat slightly subpar.

I do agree though that about locks getting it in their heads because of staying at the top for too long, though I do not share that mentality nor am I advocating for specs to be at the top, I'm fine with a nerf to affli and buffs to demo ( maybe slight buffs to destro in some areas - like 2% buffs to some spells).
    Last edited by wholol; 2018-09-22 at 12:14 AM.

Rogue for melee, mage or warlock for ranged.

Necromancer least likely to get gutted. Or Runemaster. Mostly because they're not really in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mage has always been solid, and with Time warp it's not too hard to get a spot in M+

10+ Year Old Account
    But this thread is discussing about all dps specs not just ranged, melee specs are ahead of most ranged specs atm.

Destruction might be better than a lot of the ranged specs but it's still middle tier at best ( if played above 90%) , but since you can't expect everyone to play at 90+% you can say that it's somewhat slightly subpar.

I do agree though that about locks getting it in their heads because of staying at the top for too long, though I do not share that mentality nor am I advocating for specs to be at the top, I'm fine with a nerf to affli and buffs to demo ( maybe slight buffs to destro in some areas - like 2% buffs to some spells).
    As a whole problem with melee is that they are dime a dozen, while ranged are rare and good ranged even more rare than that.

As such in context of what to roll for raiding, in my opinion, ranged first of all because it is much easier to find a decent guild as ranged to begin with and much less chances to be benched as one. Almost every tier you have encounter or two where melee are a liability, like Mythrax now.

We can argue to death which ranged class to roll, but IMO being completely neutral at that - only pure ranged, simply because of better odds of having at least one spec doing good.

I do wonder whether Blizzard has finally decided to put melee on higher place in the DPS foodchain, just to offset that historical weakness, because except for pretty much 2-3 specs both ways, there seems to be very distinct separation between melee and ranged right now.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, if rolling melee - IMO the no.1 choice is Rogue, then Warrior.

Well, first of all - all classes are gutted per MMO-C.

But if you want a real non-troll answer - Warlocks. Somehow over these years there is always one spec at the top. As Shadow Priest you can certainly now understand why having 3 DPS specs is a huge advantage, simply because it's hard to end up with all 3 being bad.

On top of that ranged is always preferred over melee, so Rogues, while being also pretty decent are also melee which is a setback - amount of bosses where melee is a drawback one way or another is greater than amount of bosses rogues are an asset.

Alternative option, if you don't want Warlock - pick Mage. These are also usually having at least one very decent spec and are ranged.

So to summarize:

1. Warlock
    2. Mage
    3. Hunter
    4. Rogue
    5. Warrior (they also seem to be very strong historically)
    6. Whatever at this point.
    I check logs for years and I second this list. If you wanna see actual data and decide yourself, check warcraftlogs.com for WoD-BfA and raidbots.com snapshots via waybackmachine for Cata-MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxx View Post

Are you even playing this spec? Arcane mage is still very strong on ST, they didn't touch the GS trait. BS trait deserved a nerf but it didn't have an impact on Arcane at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing, help me pick what I should play threads are not allowed here.