Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Frustrated with my healing performance in high mythic keys.

Hi there. So I feel like I am holding my team down. I perform really good in raids with my guild, but however in Mythic + I feel I am holding my team back. I usually run with a monk tank, unholy dk, balance druid, something else and myself healing. I have 363 ilevel and I know what I am doing most of the time. I run the right talents like undulation, echo, EWT, downpour this reset, ascendance. Now we have teeming and fortified and the amount of damage on trash is so high I can't keep up. We have yet to even do a +10 in time and I feel it's mye fault.

My philosophy is having healing rain down, 2 x healing stream with healingstream traits, EWT, and then I rip tide and use healing surges and healing waves as much as possible. Sadly it's not enough. I am holding my team back and it's a horrible feeling. I watch other resto shamans on stream and I do basically the same as they do, however it seems like they do just better for unknown reasons. And the more I practice the lower my raider.io score gets.

Anyone else in the same situation? Currently been told to reroll enhancement and getting we will try another healer.
    Last edited by Tesshin20; 2018-09-22 at 05:13 PM.

Shaman is a horrible spot healer. We're nice in raids where we don't have to heal spikes and have support from other healers but to counter spike damage on ST is pretty much impossible as a Shaman at this point. Never thought that it's way easier for a Druid to heal ST and keep them alive than it is for Shaman.

HS/HW are just so incredibly weak, even with mastery. The lack of a 1min CD like Bark or a 2min CD like Cocoon is quite noticeable. And choosing Earth Shield as a talent? Never going to happen. It's just too bad overall. This should have been made baseline.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Resto shaman ST healing is not good, never has been. That said, monk tank is probably also the worst possible choice for you to be healing, as they don't actually prevent damage, they just stagger it and make you have to heal harder. As a 374 shaman that's healed plenty of 10+ keys: Find a good DK tank. Talk to them in voice and know when they have CDs up and when you need to spam heal them. Vigor and giving them 10% more HP is also quite good because they have several max health based heals. Also, don't be afraid to drop spirit link on cooldown. Kind of annoying this week with quaking, but it's still stupid strong when your tank is getting trucked but the party is mostly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaletaqa View Post
    Resto shaman ST healing is not good, never has been. That said, monk tank is probably also the worst possible choice for you to be healing, as they don't actually prevent damage, they just stagger it and make you have to heal harder. As a 374 shaman that's healed plenty of 10+ keys: Find a good DK tank. Talk to them in voice and know when they have CDs up and when you need to spam heal them. Vigor and giving them 10% more HP is also quite good because they have several max health based heals. Also, don't be afraid to drop spirit link on cooldown. Kind of annoying this week with quaking, but it's still stupid strong when your tank is getting trucked but the party is mostly fine.
    Thanks for those tips. I will follow them. And yes I agree with everything else you said.

I have been using Echo and CBT and Ascendance. You have to use cds pretty much on cooldown and have a DK tank or a tank that can heal himself. The CBT in M+ can get pretty fat in M+ like 133k+.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Shaman is a horrible spot healer. We're nice in raids where we don't have to heal spikes and have support from other healers but to counter spike damage on ST is pretty much impossible as a Shaman at this point. Never thought that it's way easier for a Druid to heal ST and keep them alive than it is for Shaman.

HS/HW are just so incredibly weak, even with mastery. The lack of a 1min CD like Bark or a 2min CD like Cocoon is quite noticeable. And choosing Earth Shield as a talent? Never going to happen. It's just too bad overall. This should have been made baseline.
    Wait that ? Everything in this post is 100% wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Elios View Post
    Wait that ? Everything in this post is 100% wrong.
    Do you have any rebuttal to why everything he said is wrong or are you just gonna randomly point to something without any evidence to back it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post

Not taking Earth Shield -> crying for being horrible spot healer.

For M+ dungs you have to spec into ST healing aka Undulation, Earth Shield for the tank healing, Ancestral Vigor, Flash Flood, and Ascendance.

I've seen some shamans running Torrent, Echo, Downpour (it is not that bad but it is more Raid Healing tool), and High Tide. They couldn't outheal the easiest packs of mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    Do you have any rebuttal to why everything he said is wrong or are you just gonna randomly point to something without any evidence to back it up?
    Well hes saying a bunch of shit w/o any evidence to back it up so, no.

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    I don't really see the issue here. If your group is beating the timer and getting high level key completed then your performance is good. I don't really think grading a healer on a meter even makes much sense to begin with.

Now, if you are trying to go for some sort of record or even hoping to hop into the M+ invitational then I guess you are correct to think that resto shaman isn't the "right" tool for the job. Keep in mind that there are some really good players out there that can squeeze a class/spec for all its worth and do things that the internet deems "impossible" all the time. So if you are in a M+ invitational group that's trying to practice then I guess you will have to cope with the possibility that there are other classes that will probably perform better. Anything else, if you ask me, then you are being too severe with the resto shaman kit.'
    I read my post again and I think I wrote quite clearly we can not even complete 9s and 10s in time. And in pugs, not something above 5. I do not know if it's my fault because I believe I do everything correctly, so I try to find out where the issue is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naustis View Post
    Not taking Earth Shield -> crying for being horrible spot healer.

For M+ dungs you have to spec into ST healing aka Undulation, Earth Shield for the tank healing, Ancestral Vigor, Flash Flood, and Ascendance.

I've seen some shamans running Torrent, Echo, Downpour (it is not that bad but it is more Raid Healing tool), and High Tide. They couldn't outheal the easiest packs of mobs.
    I wrote somewhere on a resto shaman discord that I really liked Earth Shield in mythic +. I got laughed at and told I didn't even deserve to be in a mythic for being that unknowledgeable. And also we have quaking which is partywide damage. And in my group everyone takes damage. If it was only the tank I would go with Earth Shield and keep it a secret.

- - - Updated - - -

Well hes saying a bunch of shit w/o any evidence to back it up so, no.
    I do agree with him. I have 18% percent crit, 8% vers and 5.8k intellect and when I heal tank with healing waves his healthbar even barely move if he takes damage at the same time.
    Last edited by Tesshin20; 2018-09-22 at 10:08 PM.

Try using Undulation/ Echo / Flash Flood / Ascendance. doing +10 just fine with that.

The main problem with resto compared to other healer spec is that they lack a fast heal to top everyone up. Spirit link doesn't really heal without the trait. Healing tide is slow. Wellspring has cast time and travels slowly. Mistweaver's Revival is way easier to use and doesn't require you to precalculate any casts.

Quote Originally Posted by xintoc View Post
    The main problem with resto compared to other healer spec is that they lack a fast heal to top everyone up. Spirit link doesn't really heal without the trait. Healing tide is slow. Wellspring has cast time and travels slowly. Mistweaver's Revival is way easier to use and doesn't require you to precalculate any casts.
    Thats not a problem... That just how shamans aways worked we don't have instant heals to top everyone, shaman never had that ... almost no healer has that.

Try using Undulation/ Echo / Flash Flood / Ascendance. doing +10 just fine with that.
    I am not sure why I need to repeat my self all the time, but thats the exact talents I use. Except this week I use Downpour because of quaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Care to share your evidence that shaman healers are fine? Because in raids they are dead last in HPS on almost every %.

As for m+, they have the fewest parses by over 2k and are almost dead last in healing
    First of all, I didnt say that shamans are fine, i think shaman is a dead class right now. but what he said is wrong. We can spec into ST healing if we want. We suck in raids but only because of the numbers, our mechanics didnt change its the same shit. HS/HW is not weak , only if you don't spec into it.

Resto shaman is in a pretty bad spot now, I don't remember us being that weak in a long time.

In legion we could spec for double tidal waves procs after each riptide, which was significant for the "riptide, healing surge X 2" burst healing used in dungeons. Now we only get one tidal waves.

Downpour also lost the second cast compared to gift of the queen, as well as the 10% HP buff.

And our numbers are just tuned low. According to the latest developer interview it's because they expected our mastery to be strong and compensate. However we have much less mastery compared to legion, part of it because azerite gear doesn't contain secondary stats, and part since in general there are more primary stats on gear than secondary.

Anyone care to watch me do a high mythic key if I record the next one and then you can sit and come with feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Care to share your evidence that shaman healers are fine? Because in raids they are dead last in HPS on almost every %.

As for m+, they have the fewest parses by over 2k and are almost dead last in healing
    Nah he just wants to shit on people without providing any evidence to the contrary, our "ST" healing regardless of talents is a joke and don't even get me started on group healing especially when the tank is getting butt fucked and the group is taking any form of AoE damage. But hey we're super awesome atm amirite!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin20 View Post
    I am not sure why I need to repeat my self all the time, but thats the exact talents I use. Except this week I use Downpour because of quaking.

I see no reason to use downpour in m+...

I see no reason to use downpour in m+...
    Normally me neither, but this reset we got quaking and downpour is a good counter to that.