Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    Guy suffering with tooth abscess for years, taking fish antibiotics to self medicate because he can't afford medical insurance to get it fixed. Great system you have there in the land of the free from universal healthcare.
    Or he could just get a job? Now is a good time to get one with Trump fixing the job market. Seems to be a better system than waiting 6 months on a waiting list for urgent surgery or in my experience with the NHS getting botched dental work done and then having to get it repaired privately.

Stop watching far-left BBC it rots the brain.
    Last edited by lolpve; 2018-09-26 at 12:21 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The staff at Blizzard has been very kind to the community on many occassions and done smaller things in private for those in need. This honestly feels like the people on the team wanted to do something nice for Adam and that’s all. If it was going to be more of a PR thing, I feel like they would have made a blue post about it to “raise awareness” of the situation and mention how they sent this care package. The letter just reads like someone who wanted to do something nice and typed it up themselves. The only reason we’re hearing about it is because the author of DBM posted about it.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    When it's an addon that literally lets people "play" wow that would be standing in fire start to finish. This is not just an addon. This is THE addon.
    What has that have to do with it being a full time job? Nothing.

To all the folks posting their jaded and/or caustic garbage on this thread:

If you're just trying to be an Internet badass - It's not cute or funny anymore. We all ran out of edgelord points to hand out so you need to find a new game to play. Your tactics are tiresome and a waste of everyone's time, including yours.

If you seriously are that caustic or jaded - JFC, take a break and evaluate things.

Companies exist to make money. One aspect of trying to make money is public relations. To think anything a company does is not considered from a PR perspective before doing it means you don't know how companies work.

HOWEVER

Doing a thing that happens to be good for PR doesn't mean the thing itself isn't good. Blizzard and MSI did this because it was a good thing to do, and as it so happens, it makes them look good. But then doing good things kind of does that. So strange that doing good things makes you look good...

When you're a decent person (or company), self-interest and doing good things tend to intersect quite a lot.

This is common sense shit that people should just "get", but everyone's either too busy rushing to slam Blizzard or so damn jaded that they can't see past their own preconceptions anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    So what are we lauding then? A PR stunt for a public figure who will surely mention this gesture? Will they make this gesture to every important modder for WoW who suffers from a condition? Will they make it for people who made WoW more popular?

It's a fucking stunt.

The OP wants us to go easy on blizzard because they dropped a drop a water out of their pockets specifically to make them look better in a time when they look like shit in the eyes of many players. It's the oldest marketing trick in the book.

Appeal to the heartstring.
    dude i really pity you. so negative.... The OP does want shit and Blizz made no stunt. They are good people and you are not. That's why you shittalk their friendly and human deed and tear it into the dirt. That's your and your kinds place btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    To all the folks posting their jaded and/or caustic garbage on this thread:

If you're just trying to be an Internet badass - It's not cute or funny anymore. We all ran out of edgelord points to hand out so you need to find a new game to play. Your tactics are tiresome and a waste of everyone's time, including yours.

If you seriously are that caustic or jaded - JFC, take a break and evaluate things.

Companies exist to make money. One aspect of trying to make money is public relations. To think anything a company does is not considered from a PR perspective before doing it means you don't know how companies work.

HOWEVER

Doing a thing that happens to be good for PR doesn't mean the thing itself isn't good. Blizzard and MSI did this because it was a good thing to do, and as it so happens, it makes them look good. But then doing good things kind of does that. So strange that doing good things makes you look good...

When you're a decent person (or company), self-interest and doing good things tend to intersect quite a lot.

This is common sense shit that people should just "get", but everyone's either too busy rushing to slam Blizzard or so damn jaded that they can't see past their own preconceptions anymore.
    Wise words, mate.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    That's great, but the problem is in todays world this could be a sign of affection, or a planned PR stunt supposed to go viral in the community. Hard to tell them apart.
    For any corporation, it is PR. It is always PR.

That said, people do get benefits from this kind of PR stunt.

Keep in mind that DBM is something that seriously helped with the game which means it is responsible for likely hundreds of thousands of subscriptions. As such, the amount of time the DBM author spent on the add-on was worth substantially more than what Blizzard sent to him.

On one hand it was nice that they sent something in appreciation...on the other hand, nothing identifiable in that picture is particularly high end. I have better equipment on my rig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    For any corporation, it is PR. It is always PR.

That said, people do get benefits from this kind of PR stunt.

Keep in mind that DBM is something that seriously helped with the game which means it is responsible for likely hundreds of thousands of subscriptions. As such, the amount of time the DBM author spent on the add-on was worth substantially more than what Blizzard sent to him.

On one hand it was nice that they sent something in appreciation...on the other hand, nothing identifiable in that picture is particularly high end. I have better equipment on my rig.
    I don't think the gift was to be showering. It was free items from the two of them for a person who had a dying setup before. Something stronger is better than nothing. And not to mind, free.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    "Vengeful?" Do you know the meaning of that word?

It's a PR stunt for a public figure who they knew would mention them. Even if he didn't, the cost for them was a drop in the ocean, they make over a billion a year from WoW subs alone.
    You are a douche bag, sir. L
    Cancer of society and of all the player base. Ofc.you unsubed and most likely made post about why everyone should care about it. It is a good deed Blizz accomplished and if it was for some good publicity it still is a good deed, for a player/dev who contributed tremendously to the wow community. You are so full of salt that nothing Blizz will be good enough. Seek help

That's great, but the problem is in todays world this could be a sign of affection, or a planned PR stunt supposed to go viral in the community. Hard to tell them apart.
    Why bother asking about this?

If we cannot distinguish between planned PR or genuine charity, what's the point in worrying about it?

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    Guy suffering with tooth abscess for years, taking fish antibiotics to self medicate because he can't afford medical insurance to get it fixed. Great system you have there in the land of the free from universal healthcare.
    Land of the free doesn't mean free handouts. Capitalism works. While this man is a swell dude I'd have found a job and gotten the tooth fixed. Been there done that. Had a wisdom tooth abcess and break in half. It hurt so bad I could not adequately put it into words.

Dentist was about 100$ per tooth paying cash. Was easily able to afford that as a student.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Itt people complaining when blizzard do a good thing for a change.
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

good for him but even if was nicer to give some job for Blizzard (even as low as $200 for month) it wouldn't work because what Bigwigs then?

Bigwigs even is the most popular at top guilds, if Blizzard gave some job to DBM author/maintainer they would need to do the same for Bigwigs no ?

wish him good luck and let others join (or more join) the DBM team to releave the stress, if its because of patreon just get coders that dont want any money, many great coders out there will help for free

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Why bother asking about this?

If we cannot distinguish between planned PR or genuine charity, what's the point in worrying about it?
    Well, the point is to raise awareness that those things are not necessarily done out of compassion, but could be for cheap marketing. It's called "emotional marketing" that just uses the bad situation of a person as a vessel for their marketing strategy.

So as I already said it's a great thing for the person to happen, no matter why. It matters just for the perception of the image of the company, and with answers like "the company itself did not brag about it" you see that people do not realize how they could be manipulated.

fish antibiotics
    cat/dog antibiotics are more close to human.

He should use Obamacare before it is repealed.

I don't think it is a PR stunt.
    World of Warcraft doesn't need marketing. Everyone knows the game.

So what are we lauding then? A PR stunt for a public figure who will surely mention this gesture? Will they make this gesture to every important modder for WoW who suffers from a condition? Will they make it for people who made WoW more popular?

It's a fucking stunt.

The OP wants us to go easy on blizzard because they dropped a drop a water out of their pockets specifically to make them look better in a time when they look like shit in the eyes of many players. It's the oldest marketing trick in the book.

Appeal to the heartstring.
    I guess a cynical grumpy guy like yourself would see it that way. It's a completely possible scenario I suppose, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel the guy has earned it at the very least.

Fish antibiotics are identical to the shit they give humans. That's why preppers stockpile them. It's $50 to get a tooth pulled, there's no reason to let it fester other than fear and laziness.

Some love keeps the hate at bay,
    when love arrives,
    the hate goes away

/deep

I mean without dbm the community would want blizzard to do that stuff themselves.

They are grateful to that guy for sure lol
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

The giveaway money has to come from the PR department.
    It is not a charity/donation. It is a part of the company budget.

IMHO, it doesn't do anything.
    If I am unsubbed, I am still unsubbed.

I would be more impressed if Blizzard hires him.