Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    It's a bit hard to be angry at Blizzard after this. Dang it!
    Well, I am guessing some people sell lessons.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Yes, planned. Obviously not the health problems were planned. But they put budget aside for ninja marketing, the intern found the applicable occasion and wrote and put the letter on the package.

People act like I said he would not have earned it or should not have received it in the first place.

I said he might not have received it out of the reasons stated in the letter, but because it was a good situation for PR.
    ...or you know, perhaps Blizz and MSI did it out of appreciation for his work and out of the goodness of their hearts, because they are also gamers too and have used his mods?

You tinfoil hat types are bound and determined to rot away in your jaded and miserable existence, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyorcborne View Post
    Let me guess. Some of the shit they tossed at you was "OMG stop being Jelly" and "Youre so toxic and mean"? For pointing out a fact.
    They actually just silently downvoted me.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Snippity snip
    I don't know if I'd call them "awesome" for sending this.

With as widely used as dbm is... offering him a job that provided healthcare benefits and a livable salary would have been "awesome". At this point dbm or some iteration of it, should be baked into the UI... and not a mod.

What happens if (god forbid) MysticalOS died tomorrow. Do they revert back to a bare bones, purist design approach based on no mods? Continue to design the way they do and hope someone else takes up the mantle? A free rig/work station is quite honestly the LEAST they (Blizzard) could do.

A guy is struggling with health problems, said guy also happens to be the author of one of the most used addons among the WoW community. Fights has become more interesting because of addons like his.
    I'm not sure I agree with "more interesting". More to manage, and more clutter... does not equate to more fun. Design direction should not follow the assumption that EVERYONE uses a specific mod.

Snippity snip
    I don't know if I'd call them "awesome" for sending this.

With as widely used as dbm is... offering him a job that provided healthcare benefits and a livable salary would have been "awesome". At this point dbm or some iteration of it, should be baked into the UI... and not a mod.

A guy is struggling with health problems, said guy also happens to be the author of one of the most used addons among the WoW community. Fights has become more interesting because of addons like his.
    I'm not sure I agree with "more interesting". More to manage, and more clutter... does not equate to more fun. Design direction should not follow the assumption that EVERYONE uses a specific mod.

What happens if (god forbid) MysticalOS died tomorrow. Do they revert back to a bare bones, purist design approach based on no mods? Continue to design the way they do and hope someone else takes up the mantle? A free rig/work station is quite honestly the LEAST they (Blizzard) could do.

To many people care to much about this... in either direction...

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    My sub > Blizz > paying for marketing stunt to MSI > ???? > profit.
    What if MSI chose to donate it on the free from their marketing budget to get the write off on their end? And Blizz just made the connection, sent the shirts and the signed copy of BfA. Why would blizz pay MSI? MSI is a fine company that sponsors many gamers. Why wouldn't they want the tax write off and PR as well?

MysticalOS (the author of the Deadly Boss Mods addon) sent out his message for aid as recent difficulties had become too much of a burden for him to keep up with. Despite all the storm of rage, yells, finger pointing and sarcastic words of sharing we have, I still see that there is some good available, you might not like their changes to the game but they do notice us, and show us how awesome they can be.

(Source)
    Shame what they really should have done is ban all dbms years ago since they are the reason encounters are way to hard for 99 percent of playerbase. This is nothing but cynical pr because so many people are unhappy with bfa

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    Shame what they really should have done is ban all dbms years ago since they are the reason encounters are way to hard for 99 percent of playerbase. This is nothing but cynical pr because so many people are unhappy with bfa
    DBM has caused a lot of design issues as well as you highlighted.

I disagree that encounters have become more interesting as a result of dbm's functionality. I don't think that more to manage and/or more clutter equates to more interesting or more fun.

What happens if mysticalOS (god forbid) died tomorrow? Would they (blizzard) continue to design encounters assuming dbm will always be there and hope that someone else takes up the mantle? Or will they revert back to a more purist/bare bones design for a clean/naked UI? Personally I think it's lazy design on their part, and not the least bit interesting or innovative.

Setting him up with a rig/workstation is the least Blizzard could have done. Yay for free labor!

I'm not bitter or cynical at all...

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Blizzard didn't make this public, the person they gave things to decided to make it public. It's not a 'PR stunt' if you don't even advertise it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks, are you insane?

If no DBM, then we would be stuck with low down basic boss fights. At least with DBM, and Blizzard knows it, they can make more intricate fights. We wouldn't have seen even half of the types of boss fights without DBM being taken into consideration.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Pretty rad. Guy must absolutely bust his ass, and frankly I'm still surprised he does it or hasn't turned his skills into a pretty well paying job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by P Rex View Post
    With as widely used as dbm is... offering him a job that provided healthcare benefits and a livable salary would have been "awesome".
    So I'm fairly sure he could land a spot in their UI team if there was an opening and maybe Blizzard has tried to recruit him already. But if you read the post and know anything about the guy..he can't relocate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadOnly View Post
    So I'm fairly sure he could land a spot in their UI team if there was an opening and maybe Blizzard has tried to recruit him already. But if you read the post and know anything about the guy..he can't relocate.
    I wonder if they would actually want him to relocate to be on the UI team? I feel like that could be a remote-access type of job.

Anyways, this was a nice gesture from the Warcraft team. This guy has definitely had a HUGE HUGE impact on the community throughout the years. I couldn't imagine what would happen if DBM and BigWigs both shut down randomly and nobody else made a boss-mod. It would be...different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The WoW community (or to an extent the MMO-Champion community) certainly is becoming one of the most vile and disgusting communities I have ever known. And I am a part of many types of communities online, including a knitting community :P
    At least it isn't the DotA1 community... yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by P Rex View Post
    What happens if mysticalOS (god forbid) died tomorrow? Would they (blizzard) continue to design encounters assuming dbm will always be there and hope that someone else takes up the mantle? Or will they revert back to a more purist/bare bones design for a clean/naked UI? Personally I think it's lazy design on their part, and not the least bit interesting or innovative.
    DBM is not the only boss mod out there. Also, lot of the top guilds have people writing WeakAuras for them.
    Blizzard has talked about the arms race with design vs. mods before and they'd like to scale it down (they nerfed some of the APIs for Legion).
    This gesture had nothing to do with their desire to nerf raid addons though. Reading the letter from the team it's pretty clear Blizzard just wanted to help out respected member of the community.

Very classy (unlike some of the posts here).

If no DBM, then we would be stuck with low down basic boss fights. At least with DBM, and Blizzard knows it, they can make more intricate fights. We wouldn't have seen even half of the types of boss fights without DBM being taken into consideration.
    And now we are stuck with 90 percent of playerbase being stuck in lfr. Such a win indeed

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    No love for Bigwigs author(s)
    lol I wonder if the BigWigs author is working a full time job and caring for a sick parent, but not getting thousands a month from Patreon or a free rig from Blizz/MSI.

- - - Updated - - -

Without DBM some other boss mod would have become commonplace.

I'm not saying this guy didn't do a ton of work, obviously he did. But that work would have happened, period, whether or not he did it. Otherwise it's like saying without Neil Armstrong no one would have ever taken a first step on the moon.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    DBM has caused a lot of design issues as well as you highlighted.
    Neither of you gets it. Not surprising really considering both of your post histories.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi