Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Phasing] Oh its coming and im sad about it.

I am 99% sure "phasing" or "sharding" will happen in Classic WoW.
    Because we all know Blizzard.
    Blizzard follows the golden rule of always delivering a "playable game".

And im afraid the game will not be playable without phasing (possibly also CRZ or faster respawns)

Evidence number one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSRkBwQdc8&t=4m53s

Originally Posted by Blizzard

"We want to reproduce the game experience that we all enjoyed from the original classic wow...not the actual launch experience"
    This means Blizzard wants a smooth launch experience.
    And how is that possible? I ask you.
    How the hell is possible to have a smooth launch experience without "phasing" (possibly also "CRZ" or "faster respawns")?

And the problem is that this things totally destroy the Vanilla experience.
    Personally? I would like non of this and i much prefer a "fail launch" than having phasing...
    But we all know Blizzard so well...this will not happen.

TLDR: Blizzard's golden rule of always releasing a playable game is stronger than having an authentic classic experience. IMO Phasing will happen.
    And im sad

------------

For a smooth Launch (considering Blizz doesnt come up with new tech) could possibly mean:
    -dynamic sharding tech: Only starts when it gets overpopulated ---------> Seems fine and doesnt destroy the vanilla experience?
    -Faster spawns & tagging: Destroys the vanilla feeling, yes or no?
    -CRZ: doesnt really offer a smooth launch and has nothing to do with anything...but i just wanted to say it destroys the Vanilla experience
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2018-10-04 at 07:10 PM.

Not enough info to really make that determination one way or the other.

rip leveling then.. because there was no tag sharing.. and the respawn rates were HELL.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Not enough info to really make that determination one way or the other.

What did he mean by "not the actual launch experience" then
    Plz give me good news to cheer me up.
    Because for me that statement alone...means phasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Loot lag and sliding all over the place in the looting animation instead of running? That happened on launch and for a month or so afterwards.

I actually hope there is phasing/dynamic mob spawns for the first week but it needs to be monitored by actual people and not automated ( i said this in another thread). Its not going to ruin anything as long as blizz is careful with it, the real worries would be things like enchant recipes dropping too often etc.

Well it could mean that the first few days of the launch were an utter disaster. I mean if I recall servers went down for hours and even almost a day. If that doesn't happen you are not getting the actual launch experience as well. I say this as just an example because really we just don't have enough to go on to really know.

Deleted
    Well it could mean that the first few days of the launch were an utter disaster. I mean if I recall servers went down for hours and even almost a day. If that doesn't happen you are not getting the actual launch experience as well. I say this as just an example because really we just don't have enough to go on to really know.
    The big question i have for you...
    How will Classic be playable at launch without recent technology?

Servers caps > queues > server lag > thousands of people on leveling zone > server crash > no phasing

It just is impossible to have a good launch without recent tech.
    And we all know Blizzard. They will not let this happen

Therefore....phasing its just math...shadowpunkz math...but still, makes sense in my head

Servers caps > queues > server lag > thousands of people on leveling zone > server crash > no phasing

Therefore....phasing
    I mean you could be right. When you don't got enough to go on really any theory works.

Deleted
    I mean you could be right. When you don't got enough to go on really any theory works.
    So...Blizzard will release a "fail launch" just to keep the original Vanilla experience?

Thats the only other option!

So...Blizzard will release a "fail launch" just to keep the original Vanilla experience?

Or the options we haven't thought of. With zero real data it is pretty silly to sit around and say it has to be either a or b. Unless of course the aim is to just troll or cause problems. The only real option is we have no idea. Beyond that is just option at this point. Yours might be 100% correct or 100% wrong. Its all valid right now until we get our hands on real info which might be at BlizzCon.

Therefore....phasing its just math...shadowpunkz math...but still, makes sense in my head
    I've been saying something similar for a long time now. I'm not sure HOW they will handle it, but I have a suspicion they will not make 10 servers to handle the millions of players month one, then just close 5 of them down the road.

HOPEFULLY they have a better plan than that.
    But as you said, the only plan they could have is either allow cross realm tech, sharding/phasing, or make one mega-server.

The alternative, as I mentioned, is equally unblizzlike - allow servers to die entirely when half the population eventually quits.

Its one of my true fears for Classic. I am seriously worried just how many people seem excited to play, but how few of those people seem like they will actually do anything in the game other than jump around.
    Classic is a game that REALLY needs some of the modern systems to give people reasons to group up and repeatedly do the content, and I am sure it wont get any of them.
    So the only way it works is if there is a very strong population that actively plays the game for end-game group based content.

At this point, I really worry if that will end up being the case.
    I actually took a poll on the official forums on just this topic, and the results were very scary.

Out of hundreds of replies, I think it was 3 total people were serious players that planned on also playing Classic seriously.

That is not a number that makes me optimistic for the future.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

They arent going to release a laggy, no mob tagging... spending a whole day in one quest hub because of issues game. Drop the idea you're going to get a private server, they are trying to sell this to the millions who missed out on vanilla and would like to be apart of it. Not the neck beards who study vanilla wow and live for it.

Quality of life changes will happen, graphics will be updated... like clue in.. even oldschool runescape changed stuff when they re released it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    I've been saying something similar for a long time now. I'm not sure HOW they will handle it, but I have a suspicion they will not make 10 servers to handle the millions of players month one, then just close 5 of them down the road.

HOPEFULLY they have a better plan than that.
    But as you said, the only plan they could have is either allow cross realm tech, sharding/phasing, or make one mega-server.

The alternative, as I mentioned, is equally unblizzlike - allow servers to die entirely when half the population eventually quits.

Its one of my true fears for Classic. I am seriously worried just how many people seem excited to play, but how few of those people seem like they will actually do anything in the game other than jump around.
    Classic is a game that REALLY needs some of the modern systems to give people reasons to group up and repeatedly do the content, and I am sure it wont get any of them.
    So the only way it works is if there is a very strong population that actively plays the game for end-game group based content.

At this point, I really worry if that will end up being the case.
    I actually took a poll on the official forums on just this topic, and the results were very scary.

Out of hundreds of replies, I think it was 3 total people were serious players that planned on also playing Classic seriously.

That is not a number that makes me optimistic for the future.
    Its quite a conundrum...

A) Blizzlike Launch
    or
    B)Authentic Vanilla experience

We cant have both
    Unless Blizzard comes up with incredible new tech!

Crazy idea: Vanilla WoW but with technical and mechanical changes to make it playable and not awful.

Retail WoW has dynamic sharding tech, which means you always see people in the world but once it starts to get overpopulated a new shard is created. I suspect it will carry over to Classic WoW, at least for launch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Retail WoW has dynamic sharding tech, which means you always see people in the world but once it starts to get overpopulated a new shard is created. I suspect it will carry over to Classic WoW, at least for launch.
    That sounds...good?
    It actually made me calm.

But for the love of God...no CRZ.

I am 99% sure "phasing" will happen in Classic WoW.
    Because we all know Blizzard.
    Blizzard follows the golden rule of always delivering a "playable game".

And im afraid the game will not be playable without phasing (possibly also CRZ or faster respawns)

Evidence number one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSRkBwQdc8&t=4m53s

Originally Posted by Blizzard

"We want to reproduce the game experience that we all enjoyed from the original classic wow...not the actual launch experience"
    This means Blizzard wants a smooth launch experience.
    And how is that possible? I ask you.
    How the hell is possible to have a smooth launch experience without "phasing" (possibly also "CRZ" or "faster respawns")?

And the problem is that this things totally destroy the Vanilla experience.
    Personally? I would like non of this and i much prefer a "fail launch" than having phasing...
    But we all know Blizzard so well...this will not happen.

TLDR: Blizzard's golden rule of always releasing a playable game is stronger than having an authentic classic experience. IMO Phasing will happen.
    And im sad
    Well for a start modern server tech can handle something like 10 times more players simulataneously than vanilla launch servers while maintaining lower latency, they have 15 years of hindsight in terms of optimisation and stability, they are starting from the final patch (way less bugs, much more optimised) and they can launch as many servers as needed.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account

I would love to see that. "True vanilla experience!" -not able to play for two weeks because server is down, ah, sweet classic wow.

But no, blizzard is a big company with smart engineers working on their side, i think they'll figure out stability issues.

But phasing is fine too
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Well for a start modern server tech can handle something like 10 times more players simulataneously than vanilla launch servers while maintaining lower latency, they have 15 years of hindsight in terms of optimisation and stability, they are starting from the final patch (way less bugs, much more optimised) and they can launch as many servers as needed.
    So what valid options do we have to keep the vanilla experience and have a smooth launch at the same time?
    Dynamic sharding tech and NO CRZ?