Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Worst thing? They will let players in.

They have two choices. Either they implement it like it was or they don't.

If they implement it like it was nobody will be happy. Everyone want changes, the private server community may have deluded themselves into thinking that the way private servers implement vanilla is #nochanges but it definitely isn't.

I still think they should implement it like it was. It doesn't matter if you're pushing for changes from the perspective of a private server player, a retail player or a player that quit years ago, you're still pushing for changes.

No dynamic respawns, no fresh servers (not to confuse with new servers), no bigger population caps, no cross realm (except for pvp battlegroups), no updated graphics, no aoe looting, no class balance, no achievements, nothing.

The only thing that's up for debate is when Classic conflicts with itself. For example mages didn't have winter's chill as a talent at launch but they did later on, that's a conflict and they need to decide which one best represents vanilla as a whole.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    As like this thread shows. I predicted that those who drown in classic nostalgia will find a lot of conspiracy theories why the classic realms are not really classic to have an argument to leave once they find out it is not as their pink tinted goggles wanted it to be.
    classic is leagues better then whatever the fk we have today

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    They have two choices. Either they implement it like it was or they don't.

If they implement it like it was nobody will be happy. Everyone want changes, the private server community may have deluded themselves into thinking that the way private servers implement vanilla is #nochanges but it definitely isn't.

I still think they should implement it like it was. It doesn't matter if you're pushing for changes from the perspective of a private server player, a retail player or a player that quit years ago, you're still pushing for changes.

No dynamic respawns, no fresh servers (not to confuse with new servers), no bigger population caps, no cross realm (except for pvp battlegroups), no updated graphics, no aoe looting, no class balance, no achievements, nothing.

The only thing that's up for debate is when Classic conflicts with itself. For example mages didn't have winter's chill as a talent at launch but they did later on, that's a conflict and they need to decide which one best represents vanilla as a whole.
    But it will be great fun when all the paladins and shamans are forced to play Alliance or Horde and not the faction they want.

Or when you as a Hunter want to tame humar the pridelord and some funny guys runs past and kill him and you have to wait like 18 hours for him to spawn again.
    Last edited by Raven; 2018-10-04 at 10:08 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    Worst thing? They will let players in.
    lol wtf? what do u mean

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    As like this thread shows. I predicted that those who drown in classic nostalgia will find a lot of conspiracy theories why the classic realms are not really classic to have an argument to leave once they find out it is not as their pink tinted goggles wanted it to be.
    Because the current wow team has a history of fucking things up by listening to stupid people hence the worry they might do it again.

I still don't understand why retailers feel the strong need to tell other people what they would/should enjoy. Why are you all acting like you're hurting inside that other people prefer a different version of the game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Because the current wow team has a history of fucking things up by listening to stupid people hence the worry they might do it again.

I still don't understand why retailers feel the strong need to tell other people what they would/should enjoy. Why are you all acting like you're hurting inside that other people prefer a different version of the game?
    ikr, like they are so adamant that people will not ejoy classic. Heres a question of all you who doubt classic. What is it exactly thats making you doubt, what is you dont like about classic? Im curious

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of you thinking they won't add the cash shop or some kind of indirect p2w scam are living in fantasy land. This is Blizzard we're talking about the same greedy company that charges you to watch them advertise their new games.

They're not going to do it at launch of course, they're going to sneak it in there after a good period of time where most people won't even care about it anymore. I'd say 6 months to a year after its been out they'll start fucking up the game with micro transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Achievements are possible, despite the whining, they are exceedingly minor.
    They're not minor though because they lead to the "LINK ACHIEVE" behaviour that is toxic

For us, anyway they release it will be miles better then current. We would like minor changes but so long as they don't affect game play or change how vanilla played back then. Hell they could add a few fp's here and there ( not necessary ) and some gy's here and there ( again not necessary ) but the rest is fine. It all depends what frame of mind you come into the game with.

There is a huge player base unhappy with current and the direction of the game atm and Blizz has a huge chance to make two demographics of players happy...IF, and only if they can make classic enjoyable for most players that are waiting for it and want to play that style again. I don't see why sooo many current players hate on classic and the people wanting / waiting to play it. Do these people bitch about what others wear, eat, drive, how they live as well? I mean common...play what you want and let others play what they want. Its certainly way easier then bitching about it that's for facking sure.

Blizzard will absolutely fuck up Classic, and I don't think they have much of a choice. Think of leveling in Vanilla. The game released to a quarter of a million with many servers, and now Classic will bring in probably millions at least for the first few weeks. Blizzard won't turn on the amount of servers required, they will use sharding and other technology, and that will be what kills Classic. The community vanishes under that tech. I also don't trust they will rebalance raids and dungeons nor leveling with the start of 1.12 talents. This will be a murky museum piece that just plain won't be good. It sucks, I'm sad, but I don't think Classic will be what everyone hopes it will be. But damn will Blizzard make a killing on box sales that first month.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    They're not minor though because they lead to the "LINK ACHIEVE" behaviour that is toxic
    Won't happen, tbh. Link achieve exists because modern raids have an extremely high amount of personal responsibility that is reliant on you understanding all of the mechanics of a fairly complicated fight (because not understanding risks wiping the whole raid) and so you greatly desire people who know exactly what to do.

In Vanilla there are really only a handful of fights where it is more about knowing the fight than having the right gear. Even most of the fights with personal responsibility can be explained with 1-2 bullet points, i.e. "Stand on the side of Ony and not in a place where you will get knocked into whelps." "Take living bomb away from the raid." etc.

So even if you added achievements, you would probably rarely see "link achievement". What you are much more likely to see is a wrath/cata insistence of meeting a calculated "gear score" requirement. Also, that mentality is a product of desire for efficiency more than a product of achievements, it can be effectively duplicated by saying things like "link your 'highest' piece of armor". People are always going to want to not have to deal with unskilled players, regardless of achievements exist or not. It was tolerated more 14 years ago because most people were terrible and had not been playing very long at the time so being actually good was the exception not the norm, obtaining information was a much more annoying process so being ignorant of things was the norm, and Vanillas systems (weird itemization, low drops rates, etc.) created a bizarre climate of poorly geared players being the norm.

But two of these are no longer the case, and the third is mitigated a great deal by the availability of extensive knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Won't happen, tbh. Link achieve exists because modern raids have an extremely high amount of personal responsibility that is reliant on you understanding all of the mechanics of a fairly complicated fight (because not understanding risks wiping the whole raid) and so you greatly desire people who know exactly what to do.

In Vanilla there are really only a handful of fights where it is more about knowing the fight than having the right gear. Even most of the fights with personal responsibility can be explained with 1-2 bullet points, i.e. "Stand on the side of Ony and not in a place where you will get knocked into whelps." "Take living bomb away from the raid." etc.

So even if you added achievements, you would probably rarely see "link achievement". What you are much more likely to see is a wrath/cata insistence of meeting a calculated "gear score" requirement. Also, that mentality is a product of desire for efficiency more than a product of achievements, it can be effectively duplicated by saying things like "link your 'highest' piece of armor". People are always going to want to not have to deal with unskilled players, regardless of achievements exist or not. It was tolerated more 14 years ago because most people were terrible and had not been playing very long at the time so being actually good was the exception not the norm, obtaining information was a much more annoying process so being ignorant of things was the norm, and Vanillas systems (weird itemization, low drops rates, etc.) created a bizarre climate of poorly geared players being the norm.

But two of these are no longer the case, and the third is mitigated a great deal by the availability of extensive knowledge.
    "Link acheive" started in Wrath iirc. Even with dungeons. It's just toxic. Stand on IF AH bridge and say "meet at IF bridge for inspection". Much friendlier and more social because it involves in game character actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    "Link acheive" started in Wrath iirc. Even with dungeons. It's just toxic. Stand on IF AH bridge and say "meet at IF bridge for inspection". Much friendlier and more social because it involves in game character actions.
    People were far more concerned with gear score than linked achievements in Wrath. Toxic is a buzzword. The only difference between inspecting someone and linking an achievement is that you have to walk over for the former. If anything inspection is more ""toxic"" because if you don't have an achievement, you don't have an achievement. If you don't have the gear, you end up walking over and then dealing with "LOL your gear is shit. Why are you using X? What a retard."

I wish people wouldn't meme about social interaction as if walking over to the IF bridge and being clicked on is some revolutionary or in any way significant social event.

They're not going to ruin it, it's impossible. However, the community as always will do it for them. People like you OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    They will likely do something stupid like retuning every single class and spec to be balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    likely
    You say this based on what?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Most likely it's the playerbase that will destroy it with toxicity.
    Wish i could upvote this. The toxicity will come from the fanatics, prolly the nO cHaNgeS-crowd
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Wish i could upvote this. The toxicity will come from the fanatics, prolly the nO cHaNgeS-crowd
    More specifically, the ones who've been playing Vanilla for 15 years straight.

Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    We all know Blizzard won't just give us classic wow. They'll put their own delusional spin on it, and the final product won't even be close to the original 1.12 game. I can see them adding in a ton of QOL changes, achievements, and maybe going so far as to implement dungeon finder.
    I honestly don't know why achievements would be a bad thing. As long as the game's mechanics work the same, what's the problem with an achievement for hitting 60? It was definitely more noteworthy in vanilla than it is now. Also, they could implement some kind of vanity reward system for the toons you have that AREN'T on the classic server (e.g. different colored tier sets from vanilla, etc).

Classic WoW will be more of a mini game than a sustainable way to play this game. Anyone who believes they're going to only play classic and be happy for the foreseeable future is delusional.

For starters, as some one who actually played vanilla, it would be an awful experience by todays standards. It was good for its time, but it wouldn't pass anymore.

One of the biggest hurdles I see is the lack of new content. Blizzard isn't going to add new stuff to Classic. Its going to ship with whatever it has and then that is it. It is not at all fiscally viable to sink any more resources into it than they already are. What happens 6 months after release when everyone is bored and complaining? It isn't a sustainable long term project.

I compare Classic WoW to the Diablo 1 event that happens annually in Diablo 3. You play it one time for the experience and then never desire to do so again.

I know the inevitable day will come when people are bitching about being "Bored" on classic and how Blizz needs to add new content! or Balance broken classes! or make hybrids viable for anything other than healing.

You can only get PoM Pyro one shot or stun locked to death so many times before you realize how not fun classic is.

tl;dr Classic is a mini game within Modern WoW and won't be a serious way to play the game for the long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerobit View Post
    For us, anyway they release it will be miles better then current. We would like minor changes but so long as they don't affect game play or change how vanilla played back then. Hell they could add a few fp's here and there ( not necessary ) and some gy's here and there ( again not necessary ) but the rest is fine. It all depends what frame of mind you come into the game with.

There is a huge player base unhappy with current and the direction of the game atm and Blizz has a huge chance to make two demographics of players happy...IF, and only if they can make classic enjoyable for most players that are waiting for it and want to play that style again. I don't see why sooo many current players hate on classic and the people wanting / waiting to play it. Do these people bitch about what others wear, eat, drive, how they live as well? I mean common...play what you want and let others play what they want. Its certainly way easier then bitching about it that's for facking sure.
    What happens when you're bored of the classic content and no new content is ever coming. Still going to be happy? I doubt it.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2018-10-04 at 08:39 PM.