Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    As some one who only really likes Starwars for the force related stuff I was surprised that I liked the first two episodes so much.

Over all the Starwarsy stuff doesn’t really matter to me as most of it isn’t force related but as just standing on its own acting and display wise I’ve been super happy.

Also seeing jawa’s die brings me great joy.
    Same. This is why I keep hoping for an Old Republic trilogy/series.

Ive enjoyed the series so far and absolutely loving the yoda baby.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    Same. This is why I keep hoping for an Old Republic trilogy/series.
    no more movie trilogies, storylines can be told in much more depth in long running tv series than it ever can be in movies.

as for wanting an old republic series, i do, but they need to hire new writers for it. by new writers, i mean old writers that actually worked with old republic material before.

they broke the mold with kotor 1 and the writing in 2, I doubt disney's ability to create that level of depth. I remember most of the back story with the mandos during kotor 1 and they being bad guys or on a warpath, which ultimately lead to the creation of many sith trying to beat them jedi trying to do the right thing but ultimately ended up dead or sith. no idea where this tv show is going though. I'm pretty good on the starwars front, spoilt maybe by the superior insight, in terms of the force I feel like i know all i need to know, so its the individual stories that probably have more meaning than just rehashing that same old black and white clash. at first i didn't expect much force action from the mandalorian, the show seems closer to rogue one than the other starwar stuff. I'd love to see an old republic trilogy but i'm not sure you can cram that much depth into even 9hrs of screen time. I largely thought it had all been reconned, but its still my favorite starwars anything.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    First 2 Episodes were Solid. More Star Wars feeling in 1hr of Mandalorian than the last few movies combined even without Lightsabers. Though not surprised since Dave Filoni has a hand in it and the Clone Wars series is some of the best Star Wars Media.

Lets hope Mandalorian does well and Jon Favreau/Dave Filoni are granted the chance at a Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I largely thought it had all been reconned, but its still my favorite starwars anything.
    well, it wasn't retconned really. because it wasn't ever actually canon. even under lucas, the EU was always its own separate canon.

but the clone wars and rebels have both hinted at major elements of the old republic being canon.

I think a lot of fans do consider it canon, at least, after the original trilogy it was pretty much kotor 1 that opened up the scope in terms of lore before that there wasn't really much known about any sort of specifics. some guy made a great video on starwars mainly using kreia as a basis for criticisms its a long video but everytime starwars gets mentioned i find myself watching it again. here

in the beginning he does mention that it wasn't really until kotor 1 that the whole thing was fleshed out. I never got around to watching rebels or clone wars, I guess i don't mind the medium but i'm guessing its limited by its target audience.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-11-20 at 11:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Old Republic and OT make zero sense together. That's not to say the Old Republic stories as a completely separate alt universe. It's bad world building to go from the Kotor era where every is is a force god or super soldier to the OT to post EU era where even astromech droids are OP. That's what makes 'old canon' hot garbage. Separate them out akin to say, Marvel universes, you get a bit more cohesion. Kotor Universe, mainline 'Disney' canon, Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    So that's probably what Snoke's worthless guards were wearing?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The Old Republic and OT make zero sense together. That's not to say the Old Republic stories as a completely separate alt universe. It's bad world building to go from the Kotor era where every is is a force god or super soldier to the OT to post EU era where even astromech droids are OP. That's what makes 'old canon' hot garbage. Separate them out akin to say, Marvel universes, you get a bit more cohesion. Kotor Universe, mainline 'Disney' canon, Legends.
    Much of the EU was very overrated. I think generally people preferred it to the ending a lot of OT characters have received, but many of the storylines were horrible. There was also a huge lack of consistency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    A big part of the problem is the divide in time between the two, that people often overlook. They get the impression that the Old Republic was like 150 years before the OT, tops?

Nah. About 3500 years. To put that in context with Earth's history, 3500 years ago we hadn't entered the Iron Age yet.

The Star Wars universe has largely been at a technological plateau for more than 20,000 years. There's slight advances here and there, but the Galactic Republic is some 25000 years old.

Culturally, though, we can imagine there's still big shifts. Groups and powers rise and decline. The Old Republic era was a peak point in time for the Republic, the modern era of the films is arguably the lowest point for the Republic. It's a civilization not just in decline, but on the precipice of collapse; that's why Palpatine was able to seize power, and eliminate the Jedi, at all. It wasn't strength in the Force that let him do that, it was the Republic's weakness and fragility.

The canon holds together, you just need to tackle the wide separations in time involved. The modern era has about as much in common, culturally, with the Old Republic era, as modern Italy has with bronze-age pre-Christian Italy.

First 2 episodes were legit.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    First 2 episodes were legit.
    Star Trek was more enjoyable by a long shot, and Picard looks more exciting - and I was more more into Star Wars than I was star trek..

Now no one can complain I don't like it because it's got chicks at the centre of everything, this so far is very male centred, but it just lacks substance to me and depth. A bit flashy, it's like a western with space. Not really my thing.

however it did feel more star wars than a lot of the stuff Disney has put out since they started running the thing. So that's a positive I guess.

And once again the new video game (not written by Disney I don't thinik) had a far more engaging and captivating story that to me was reminiscent of the Lucas era, having the same feeling of fate and destiny at play, while feeling new and worth following. At least for me.

Sadly I view much of this a waste of time now, not entertaining enough and not really doing anything meaningful or useful.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2019-11-20 at 04:56 PM.

Feels alot more like SW then anything else Disney has cranked out. Hopefully it keeps going or gets even better.

... Well shit.

Guess I'mma be watching this show. Doubled considering the fact that I just love Pedro Pascal... and no, not from GOT, but from Narcos seasons 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    well, it wasn't retconned really. because it wasn't ever actually canon. even under lucas, the EU was always its own separate canon.

but the clone wars and rebels have both hinted at major elements of the old republic being canon.
    The EU was canonical until Disney Bought the IP in 2014. There has been hints and scenes that allude to some EU stuffs being canonical, but I would suggest that only those bits that show up in the animated shows and movies are not the entirety of the EU they came from.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    ... Well shit.

Guess I'mma be watching this show. Doubled considering the fact that I just love Pedro Pascal... and no, not from GOT, but from Narcos seasons 1 and 2.
    his voice on the show sounds nothing like his normal voice, not even his spanish accent. I didn't even knew he was on the show until I saw his name popping up on the credits

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    The EU was canonical until Disney Bought the IP in 2014. There has been hints and scenes that allude to some EU stuffs being canonical, but I would suggest that only those bits that show up in the animated shows and movies are not the entirety of the EU they came from.
    Not entirely true. It was always considered only canon until Lucas made something that contradicted it. If he would have ever gotten around to making Ep. 7-9, there is no way he would have just adapted the existed EU novels covering that time. All Disney did is make it officially non-canon so people wouldn't assume the future movies they were already planning would follow the novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Not entirely true. It was always considered only canon until Lucas made something that contradicted it. If he would have ever gotten around to making Ep. 7-9, there is no way he would have just adapted the existed EU novels covering that time. All Disney did is make it officially non-canon so people wouldn't assume the future movies they were already planning would follow the novels.
    That is the case for any IP. But Lucas never directly stated any of the EU or all of the EU was non canonical. That was Disney and that was only 5 years ago. Until then the EU was canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wermys View Post
    This is the way
    Mini gun Mando commando. This is the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jehct View Post
    Ughh.. When did this site become a far right bastion.. Literally the first 15 mins of the first episode there are no women... the 2nd episode.. 1 woman with few lines.. This show is already dog shit and lacks diversity. Shame on you.
    boo everything about you.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

15+ Year Old Account
    Yet another solid episode. I think I still preferred the tone and pacing of episode 2, but this one was really cool, too. The ending almost felt it could have been the conclusion to the first film in a trilogy, which makes sense since we're right about at that point in terms of runtime.