Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It would be cool if the more Kid grows some agency and in tune with its powers, the more desperate Mando becomes in terms of finding it a more permanent home.
    tbh, I don't know how much growth there's actually going to be for him. They can't exactly have too much happen with a 50 year old infant in just a few seasons of a show.

Amphibian genocide antics notwithstanding, he's already demonstrated that he's probably more mature than he seems (what with the healing and the awareness to close his pod before shit went down in the previous episode), so I have no idea what (if any) plans they have for the character going forward.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-11-08 at 09:58 AM.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I wonder how they will portray Boba Fett because the canon Fett isn't a nice guy. He was a little shit in his younger days then the only thing we know about adult Fett is that he was villainous enough to gain the likes of Darth Vader. So far Fett hasn't been portrayed as a hero, not even an anti-hero. I picture him as being like Maul, cunning but without the tossed aside Sith hang-ups. Maybe even Fett let the Empire in on some Mandolorian secrets which is how the Empire subjugated them.
    I really don't know what they can do with him, Boba Fett is the prime example of a character who's cool because he's mysterious, and the more you know about him the less interesting he is. Never much cared for anything they did with him in the old EU. Hated the way Lucas awkwardly jammed him into the prequels even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    tbh, I don't know how much growth there's actually going to be for him. They can't exactly have too much happen with a 50 year old infant in just a few seasons of a show.

Amphibian genocide antics notwithstanding, he's already demonstrated that he's probably more mature than he seems (what with the healing and the awareness to close his pod before shit went down in the previous episode), so I have no idea what (if any) plans they have for the character going forward.
    Yea - I don't see "The Kid" doing much maturing over the course of the show's seasons unless they do some time skipping. With a species that is still infant at 50 human years, even if every season takes "an entire year" of the show timeline - then in human terms you're talking about the "maturation and growth" of a child that goes from age 2 to age 2 years 2 months (in 5 seasons or more). In another 50 human years The Kid would be the maturation level of a 5 year old (maybe - hell go crazy and say 10 year old human); but in another 50 human years he's gone through at least one if not two more "mando" (human) caregivers to get there.

So we're talking 'perma-infant' mentality even if the show lasts 10-13 seasons - It will only understand very few words/commands and can speak little to none. You can go off "instinct" to know when a creature needs healing, or to know when you need to protect yourself - but it can't get too complicated with the 'logic' (vs. primal instinct) of The Kid or else they blow the credibility of "infant" out of the water for every point before and after that.

Not saying they won't do it; but just saying it would be bad writing.

But it would definitely justify the reality (or logic) of the idea that no, The Kid had no idea about the eggs (any significance outside of a food source) and would have no way of understanding anything they were talking about. The Kid would understand "NO!" And that's about it. And, like all kids, they can very well understand 'no' and do it anyway - right in front of you. (As The Kid did with the cockpit controls S1).
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possibilities:

1. The Child's race is very froglike. Could have a metamorphosis stage where it turns into an adolescent.

2. The Child sticks around as a kid forever.

3. The Mandalorian reunites the Child, either with his race or with Luke at his new Jedi academy, and the show moves on without him. (latter would be very sad, since it would imply the Child dies when Ben Skywalker turns to the Dark Side).

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Yea - I don't see "The Kid" doing much maturing over the course of the show's seasons unless they do some time skipping. With a species that is still infant at 50 human years, even if every season takes "an entire year" of the show timeline - then in human terms you're talking about the "maturation and growth" of a child that goes from age 2 to age 2 years 2 months (in 5 seasons or more). In another 50 human years The Kid would be the maturation level of a 5 year old (maybe - hell go crazy and say 10 year old human); but in another 50 human years he's gone through at least one if not two more "mando" (human) caregivers to get there.

So we're talking 'perma-infant' mentality even if the show lasts 10-13 seasons - It will only understand very few words/commands and can speak little to none. You can go off "instinct" to know when a creature needs healing, or to know when you need to protect yourself - but it can't get too complicated with the 'logic' (vs. primal instinct) of The Kid or else they blow the credibility of "infant" out of the water for every point before and after that.

Not saying they won't do it; but just saying it would be bad writing.

But it would definitely justify the reality (or logic) of the idea that no, The Kid had no idea about the eggs (any significance outside of a food source) and would have no way of understanding anything they were talking about. The Kid would understand "NO!" And that's about it. And, like all kids, they can very well understand 'no' and do it anyway - right in front of you. (As The Kid did with the cockpit controls S1).
    There are too many variables. For instance we don't know why he is a 50 year old infant. Was he in an egg for 49 years? Some kind of stasis? Something else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    There are too many variables. For instance we don't know why he is a 50 year old infant. Was he in an egg for 49 years? Some kind of stasis? Something else?
    Right, we don't much about The Kid's species but going off Yoda and Yaddle we know they live for a very very long time. I think they age a lot differently too, its more than just multiplying a human's lifecycle by x amount. Yoda's rapid aging doesn't between RotS and Empire doesn't make much sense. If The Kid is a toddler at best at 50 years old, 20 years shouldn't have Yoda in a feeble old man. I'm guessing certain stages of their lives are really slow and others are fast?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, we don't much about The Kid's species but going off Yoda and Yaddle we know they live for a very very long time. I think they age a lot differently too, its more than just multiplying a human's lifecycle by x amount. Yoda's rapid aging doesn't between RotS and Empire doesn't make much sense. If The Kid is a toddler at best at 50 years old, 20 years shouldn't have Yoda in a feeble old man. I'm guessing certain stages of their lives are really slow and others are fast?
    Living in a swamp with no sentient beings to talk to can do that. Yoda didn't just age, he went insane from his hermit life, guilt from his failure, and living in a swamp with no contact and a powerful Dark Side aura.

Maybe even Fett let the Empire in on some Mandolorian secrets which is how the Empire subjugated them.
    I thought Jango and Boba Fett were never Mandalorians, they were just using Mandalorian armor? Didn't the government of Mandalore explicitly say Jango wasn't a Mandalorian?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I thought Jango and Boba Fett were never Mandalorians, they were just using Mandalorian armor? Didn't the government of Mandalore explicitly say Jango wasn't a Mandalorian?
    I'm thinking he was exiled at this point.

He claims he is from within the Mandalorian system, no real reason to dispute that. The Mandalorians of his time were pacifist though. You had Death Watch but they were still pretty loyal to Mandalore. I'm guess him being a mercenary, basically trading his Mandalorian valor for personal gain didn't go well with either side. Moreso when his clones popped up.

Hell Sabine got the cold should for things out of her control.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Living in a swamp with no sentient beings to talk to can do that. Yoda didn't just age, he went insane from his hermit life, guilt from his failure, and living in a swamp with no contact and a powerful Dark Side aura.
    Yoda wasn't insane when Luke first landed on the planet...he was acting the fool to gauge how Luke would respond.

But his going from bouncing around spinning lightsabers and almost defeating Palpatine to his deathbed in a couple decades, that could easily be explained by the emotional toll the failure, death, and destruction that the fall of the Republic and the slaughter of the Jedi took on him.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-11-11 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    But his going from bouncing around spinning lightsabers and almost defeating Palpatine to his deathbed in a couple decades, that could easily be explained by the emotional toll the failure, death, and destruction that the fall of the Republic and the slaughter of the Jedi took on him.
    Could be that, but who knows how his species ages. Could be that senescence comes on rather quickly. Could be that his bouncy moves were because of channeling the Force a lot (he was using a cane at that time after all) so he could have been really really old already.

Could be that, but who knows how his species ages. Could be that senescence comes on rather quickly. Could be that his bouncy moves were because of channeling the Force a lot (he was using a cane at that time after all) so he could have been really really old already.
    Another factor would be that fall he took, we don't ever see him bounce again after it, right? Yoda might have some serious back pain, dealing with that for decades would take a lot of fight out a person.

They have enough wiggle room to do what they want with the kid as far as his aging goes. For the duration of the show at least he probably won't change much given the likely timeline (it's not clear to me, not more than a few months have passed since he first found the pod?) Though it would be fun if they did some time skips and grew him up a bit. I suppose if he takes another 50 years to mature that would explain why he wasn't involved in the sequel films.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    why are you ignoring the Krayt Dragon skeleton from episode 4?
    It's never been explicitly stated what that was a skeleton of.

McQuarrie's concept art of the Krayt Dragon makes them look like a big horned lizard.

And the current canonical sources have them standing on multiple legs.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    All the speculations about Yoda's race aging matter not. You're trying to assume or guess things that would probably wouldn't help storytelling at all.

What i mean is that, if the story Favreau wants to tell demands that the Child grows physically and mentally (commnunicates by speech, becomes bigger etc), the Child will do so. As there is no current lore or, in fact, any actual info of this race (not even its name) and anything we know is a speculation and observation of the depiction of 2, and now 3, of its members, anything goes, even if it seems illogical or unnatural.

It's Star Wars, after all
    /spit@Blizzard

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    You mean the Governor that also lied about Death Watch?
    Almec should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    rly liked the 2 episodes, slow pace but i liked.

Especially the little bit of he still taking the mandolarian armor from the guy, other good characters, like lawful good would say he could kept to help the people there, but Mando to me is the definition of Lawful neutral

What does the aging matter to the series? The child is not Yoda.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    It's never been explicitly stated what that was a skeleton of.

McQuarrie's concept art of the Krayt Dragon makes them look like a big horned lizard.
    There was an explanation given that basically said there's two kinds of krayt dragons, the smaller (but still impressive), canyon-dwelling Krayt Dragon, and the MUCH bigger Greater Krayt Dragon like the one we saw in s02ep01.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Possibilities:

1. The Child's race is very froglike. Could have a metamorphosis stage where it turns into an adolescent.

2. The Child sticks around as a kid forever.

3. The Mandalorian reunites the Child, either with his race or with Luke at his new Jedi academy, and the show moves on without him. (latter would be very sad, since it would imply the Child dies when Ben Skywalker turns to the Dark Side).
    1- That would be one way to 'timeskip' The Kid! That would work!
    2-This is really what I expect.
    3 - I expect this is how the show ends, actually. I don't expect child to be reunited with People until the last episode. Since the "Baby Yoda" wasn't a half-season character, at this point I don't see Disney cutting the kid and going on with Just Mando - or at least - not without a retool of the show entirely and the audience its attracting right now. Too many loss of viewers IMO. (Whether we like it or not lol).

IF the show lasts long enough to that particular conclusion I then expect there to be some spinoffs - either other Mando/BH show spin-off entirely (different characters all) to keep going and then a "Baby Yoda Home Planet Adventures" show that spinsoff, or something like that. I don't expect Mandalorian to turn into a show about "The Kid's" Force training/further education/etc at least on his home planet or the jedi academy.

IF they are going to continue the show after The Kid finds his home people (or IF they let him find his people) - then it will be because The Kid is now going Mandoa or some other logic from his home species that would mean he needed to stay under Mando care and tutelage. Lots of plot reasons they could come up with to justify that.

The show hasnt' set up to be a 'gritty drama' where you're dealing with complex realistic plots and dying main characters (ala say early Walking Dead, etc) that are regularly replaced. Disney COULD have gone that direction (and could with other shows about Mandos) but that's not how THIS show has been setup or is being written. This is more family friendly. The show is building/been built around the idea of a "Father/Child" dynamic going on here and they aren't just going to end that dynamic say middle of season-4 and turn it into a gritty-Mando-only Bounty Hunter show. I mean they could, but I think Disney is smarter than that (I do still think that lol) and they know they'd be better off just making a whole separate show, with its own fan base wanting that flavor, if they wanted it to succeed. And make $$$ offering both shows with their different 'flavors' than one show changing into the other type of show after a few seasons. One alienates your happy fanbase - the other choice gives you double the number of happy fans. =D

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    All the speculations about Yoda's race aging matter not. You're trying to assume or guess things that would probably wouldn't help storytelling at all.

What i mean is that, if the story Favreau wants to tell demands that the Child grows physically and mentally (commnunicates by speech, becomes bigger etc), the Child will do so. As there is no current lore or, in fact, any actual info of this race (not even its name) and anything we know is a speculation and observation of the depiction of 2, and now 3, of its members, anything goes, even if it seems illogical or unnatural.

It's Star Wars, after all
    Its not just Star Wars - its TV! "Classic" TV serial plotting would let you get away with this.

But IF they do that - and the show loses any idea of 'internal consistency' in its logic on how the Kid (Yoda Species, whatever) ages - then its going to lose credibility among some. Sure, Disney may decide they don't care - but it will be a top down, well thought out, decision. Its frustrating and a big turn off (to most) if a show loses too much internal consistency with its own rules/logic/lore. It turns into that "mary sue" issue where, depending on the situation, suddenly the kid is smarter- dumber - understands more words - less words - etc. And while yes, some people won't mind or care - some will. Sure you can handwave everything to 'magic', but that has more of a price in viewership now than it ever has before.

So while I agree with your point - because yes they could violate all known ideas of 'logical species growth' as humans understand it (and I don't mean in human years I just mean the idea that things age consistently in stages within their own lifespans) and go hog-wild - I see that being a more risky choice in this day and age. They could still do it - but there's also every reason to not go that way when its just as easy (and pisses off less people) to keep it simple and relatable.

The old "Stand by Me" discussion by the kids (that even in the 70s as 12 year olds people figured out) "What I don't get about Wagon Train is they are always Wagon Training. Why do they never get anywhere?" Caine in "Kung Fu" is forever wandering. Kids who never age. All sorts of "internal inconsistencies" no one cared about - back then. But audiences care much more now about that stuff than they use to. (Just the fact that this show has any sort of monster-of-the-week format and the fans that are unhappy about it and consider it 'pointless filler' shows how much more 'discerning' the modern tv viewer is vs. 20 years ago). Looking at the backlash to the last season of GoT is another example of the "growth" in the 'general tv audience' now vs. 20 or more years ago. You can still do it - but you get away with it with less number of people.

But of course they can do whatever they want and blow apart whatever they want for their own story or show purposes. It never has to make sense. I just don't think that's Favreau's style and I'm hoping its not where Disney is wanting this to go. Only time will tell.

But you make far more $$$$ on a cute Baby Yoda with kids and families (and others) than you do with a teen or adult version. And we can all look at Clone Wars and the way everyone hated "teen Darth Vadar" for just being an actual bratty teenager (as written) to say that "teen Yoda" won't always go over as well as "Baby Yoda" =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.