Thread: Troll Paladins?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Troll Paladins?

Is it just me or is this dumbest thing ever?
    I mean even the Tauren are pushing it a big...

Paladins have always been holy knights.

The blood elves make sense. They have that background.
    When they first rolled out their Light usage was not all that "Good" either.

Tauren Sun Warriors?
    Troll Light Warriors?

What?
    I just find it odd lorewise to have trolls or taurens running around in these armors:

At least give them something unique or alterations so it makes sense.

Yes, just you. Read their lore.

Even in Warhammer universe's (which warcraft was based on) lizardmen are paladins to the core and it's the closest race to zandalari trolls.

Don't mind me, just being paladin as fuck
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2018-10-04 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a troll Knight of the Silver Hand makes no sense, you're right. But having a troll prelate who uses light and holy magic, channeled through a loa does make sense. It's similar to shamanism or druidism. The Tauren are like druids, but with heavy armour and melee weapons. Blizzard isn't going to introduce a new class with a very similar skill set to satisfy these niches, so they call them Paladins.

You are right, but for the sake of not creating new classes to fit every story niche we classify them all as Paladins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

Zanda paladins make sense, moreso than the Tauren(especially when they're essentially sun-druids).

I think the issue is Blizzard keeps pushing the Holy Light as the Paladin's defining background, when it should be -faith-.

I agree visuals would be better to diversify things.
    But Blizz needs to improve Paladin class fantasy to not be so centered around the Holy Light, and more about Faith in a higher power, that acts as a pathway to the Light.

Legion made all paladin backgrounds go with the Silver Hand. Which just feels goofy.

10+ Year Old Account

existed since ever, the silver hand are the holy knights after that though each race has their order. they also couldn't stray from the human centric motif because alliance would complain we got a tier that was tauren based.

10+ Year Old Account
    Horde needs more Pallies, only 2 races can be Pallies where as like 4+ Alliance races can be Shaman. Just not balanced.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Oh, and don't make another thread when you learn that right now Orcs can be arcane mages.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also hate how Paladin has been diluted from the Silver Hand to just any religious warrior. Should be the Knights, the Blood Knights (as Elves have the Light) and Draenei Vindicators. That's all.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

The problem is that Blizz needs to give each race more specific flavours to distinguish between them. Much like how BE got a bunch of unique flavour looks/spells when they were first introduced. If they did that, and maybe even called them different names -- Sunwalkers, Prelates, e.t.c, it wouldn't be so jarring. Trolls/Tauren as Silver Hand is iffy, but as their own unique brand of light warrior works great.

10+ Year Old Account
    The big problem with Wow is they have to clump things together that are somewhat similar because of their game mechanics.
    Like all priests in Wow: A night elf priest(wielding bows an wearing plate in battle situations, having a deity with Elune resulting in arcane spells) is a completely different thing compared to light believers. Same thing with troll priests who even differ by the loa they worship.

So a Troll "Paladin" doesn't really have to be a paladin in the traditional sense, it's just a thing somehow similar enough for that niche.

Makes a lot more sense than Tauren paladins and horde could use another paladin race. And it's happening regardless if you want it or not.

Player classes are very loose terms.

When Zandalari Trolls are Paladins, they're only Paladins by name for convenience and to avoid so much confusion.
    Technically they would be Prelates.

Kul'Tiran Shamans for example are very likely to happen.
    Not because they're shamanistic, but because Tidesages are essentially shamans. Blizzard isn't just gonna rename classes and have different spell names/effects for one race.

Orc and Dwarven warriors are very different, lorewise, but they're very similar gameplay wise.
    Blizzard doesn't want to name abilities different names for different races. Stormbolt and Avatar for example are iconic to dwarves, but they're not gonna rename it for Orcs and Taurens, Trolls, Elves, Draenei, etc.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Yes, just you. Read their lore.

Even in Warhammer universe's (which warcraft was based on) lizardmen are paladins to the core and it's the closest race to zandalari trolls.

Don't mind me, just being paladin as fuck
    That's actually bullshit. Lizardmen aren't even close to either Warcraft trolls nor to Paladins.

Lizardmen are magically spawned beasts. They don't reproduce naturally, instead, they have spawning pools. The only similarity they have with the Zandalari is that they are visually based on souther american empires, aztecs, maya, inca, and they ride dinosaurs. While the trolls forged their own empire, Lizardmen are mere custodians for a greater force. They rarely act on their own accord, and instead follow a plan laid out for them millenia ago. Warriors also have little authority in their culture, they merely follow orders (and are perfectly happy with that.) They are also a rather radical force of good and order, they don'T seek to conquer or subdue other races, they only attack them when said races either threaten them or act in contradiction to the Great Plan.

They also don't have paladins, or anything close to it. The character in the picture is Kroq Gar. The light magic you see displayed is bound to the gauntlet he is wearing, an ancient artifact originating with the creators of the Lizardmen. He himself can neither channel nor cast any spell whatsoever. All he can do is unleas the power stored in the guantlet in a single burst of light. He is literally a Warrior with a Quest item. Without it he is as magical as the Carnosaur he is riding. He is also unique. There isn't a single other character like him.

There are more artifacts like that, but again, the Lizardmen using them in battle cannot by themselves use any magic, or create said artifacts, for the most part. They are also extremly rare.

Lizardmen Skink Shaman use Beast and Heaven magic, not Light, they are much closer to druids or shamans, or you look at Slann Mage Priests, who use every lore of magic there is. Both are poor fighters, Skinks being small and weak, and slann being big fat toads that can barely move on their own.

The closest you will get to magically infused Warriors in Warhammer are Chaos Warrior Lords and Sorcerers who use both Magic and martial prowess. Other than that there isn't anything even closely resembling a Paladin.

And do you know who also makes extensive use of Light Magic? These guys.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2018-10-04 at 09:18 PM.

Troll Paladins is happening, it's time to accept it.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Troll Paladins is happening, it's time to accept it.
    Sure. I accept it.
    I accept they will be rolled in right along with Knights of the Silver hand.

rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    And do you know who also makes extensive use of Light Magic? These guys.
    Well, technically they use everything, but mostly dark magic as Nagash learned his stuff originally from dark elves.

But lizardmen are paladins as it gets:
    1) Heaven magic is pretty much Light magic in Warcraft
    2) Following written orders from "The God"
    3) Self sacrificial for greater good
    4) Consecrating lands from the filth
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2018-10-04 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Sure. I accept it.

rofl.
    Because their spells will be the same? The lore for Troll Prelates/Paladins is getting more and more developed, and a lot of it started in MoP.
    It's time to move on.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Sure. I accept it.

rofl.
    they would be paladins only for gameplay reasons, lorewise they are prelates, simmilar to how troll priests dont worship the light, instead they get their powers from the loa (talanji is a priest yet doesnt worship the light, instead gets her power from rezan, just like the zandalari prelates which would in the end be zandalari paladins just from a gameplay perspective)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Because their spells will be the same? The lore for Troll Prelates/Paladins is getting more and more developed, and a lot of it started in MoP.
    It's time to move on.
    Lol it doesnt matter.
    They will all look exactly the same. Same armors remember?
    And their lore will be exactly the same your precious light warrior trolls will be wielding Human paladin artifacts, leading Knights of the Silver Hand and so on.

There is zero differentiation than an intro quest.
    You could call Troll paladins whatever you want.
    Doesn't change the fact that they will look literally exactly like any other paladin.

Quit crying about "muh Silver Hand". No one gives a shit. The Blood Knights and Draenei weren't part of the Silver Hand either. I'm getting my fucking Zandalari paladin, and you can go cry about it at Uther's grave or whatever.