Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The point of the game isn't to have everything. You aren't entitled to be handed everything, it would be really boring. Be thankful for long-term goals to work towards. You want these things? Great, a reason to play.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Right now in alternative universe Heritage is just for having 110/120 and same people bitch that it's biggest money grab from Blizzard.

Ok, now more serious. Heritage system is exactly the same for 1-110 levels as World Quests for new zones and Mythic+ for new dungeons - incentive to repeat content. In the past I thought they will come up with some kind of seasons during content drought, but I like this idea better, because I will have new chars for mount farming. ;P

Only thing I would change are heirlooms. In my opinion they should be waaaay weaker BUT give waaaay more XP boost. This way we would have very flexible (because you can choose how many heirloom you wear) "heroic" leveling - shorter, but more intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    The point of the game isn't to have everything. You aren't entitled to be handed everything, it would be really boring. Be thankful for long-term goals to work towards. You want these things? Great, a reason to play.
    I could not disagree with you more. Nothing to do with entitlement, nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I feel like Heritage armor -- although optional -- just represents a totally unreasonable expectation of players. Hell, you can't even unlock the respective allied races cross-faction, or even start them on different servers.

Considering how many of us have level all of our classes already, this seems to almost penalize players for having played a lot. What if it were simply for taking a character from 110 to 120? Or add some super-difficult Mage Challenge Tower-esque boss for unlocking your Heritage armor?

Because without Heritage armor, most Allied Races are completely indistinguishable from their base counterparts.

I would like a Mag'har Warrior and a Zandalari Shaman. But having to level classes I already have, from scratch, just to get their defining armor, seems kind of ridiculous.

Does anyone else feel like the expectation is completely unreasonable?
    It's not a requirement, though. You don't *have* to do it, and Blizzard know that - hence why you're rewarded for doing so i.e. with heritage armour. You can only wear it on the respective race anyway, so there's literally no difference. It's not like it unlocks so every character can wear it.

OP
    I generally feel the rep required to unlock Allied Races is fine, with a caveat; it should be cross faction, I should be able to unlock Alliance ARs by doing the requirements for the mirror Horde ARs.

My issue isn't the rep grind, but that this actively discourages switching factions and actively discourages playing a "main". If I wanted to play a DI Dwarf or Kul'Tiran, it doesn't make sense to force me into playing the bland races I already don't like. Especially considering I've literally done this rep already because it's just a mirror of the opposite faction.
    The important thing here is to remember, I can spend money and faction change and keep my rep. That strikes me as a little too purposeful. I don't mind some of the practices Blizz has with services, but the sheer fact that they already acknowledge the rep grind is a mirror of each other, not tanking rep on a faction change, they know what the faction change is being used for.
    Ironically they are likely missing out on $60 for a level boost from players, because they aren't going to bother faction changing for an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    It's a cosmetic reward for doing all that work.

You're basically promoting that there should not be rewards in the game that require effort to obtain.

I am not in your corner here. The game benefits from people finding reasons to do stuff in it. If there's nothing special to strive for, then it's just not something people will continue finding reasons to log in for. Incentives to do the time-consuming stuff in the game are good, and healthy for the replay value, and thus for the game and the continued development of it.

So yeah, having to work for getting cool stuff may not always be appealing. But getting cool stuff for doing work, is rewarding. So them putting that in is common sense.

I would probably feel different if other races could use the heritage armor. Cause then I would feel forced to level a Mag'har, to get an outfit I want on my Tauren (for example). But as the reward is only for Mag'har, I'm down with this. Put in the work: Get a cosmetic reward. Don't, and it's not like you'll miss out something huge. There are other similar sets for nearly all of the Allies races.

The exception is Nightborne. I think those are in a bad place where it comes to racial sets.
    So, leveling a character to 120, grinding rep for weeks or months, and then completing their unlock quest "isn't effort"?

Here's the deal; there is ZERO reason to have more than one of the same class. So generally speaking, you choose the coolest or most fitting option you have at any given time.

A lot of us only have 8 choices to start with, and it wasn't until, what, Wrath that race-changes were even an option? So we have these Allied Races that are essentially "reskins", but also look cooler and are fundamentally no different than any other race. We've already put in the time and effort to unlock them. But if you're wearing a full set of armor, then you won't even experience the "reskin". When I'm wearing a helmet, my Orc looks no different than a Mag'har.

My gripe with all of this is that I essentially lose my Warrior's "legacy". His earned achievements, his personal stats and Arena history, that's all locked to that specific character, as well as other such progress over the years. Reps, quests completed -- hell, even as useless as Garrisons are, I put a lot of work into mine when it was still relevant.

I'm not opposed to putting in some additional effort, but for the love of god, don't make me throw away my existing characters to unlock their racial transmogs. And of course, the alternative is to level a new character from scratch, unlock the Heritage Armor, and then just delete *him*, which would be stupid to even suggest.

I think it's just a completely arbitrary requirement, though, and doesn't add anything to the game. If Blizzard wants players out in Azeroth again (which I actually think is a good concept), then maybe they should look at things like adding World Quests that scale you down to the proper max-level for the zone, or things of that nature. As it stands, though, a brand-new player is better off than a long-standing player, because the new player would be able to unlock Allied Races and then actually level classes they don't already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    But the way this is handled is disproportionally far and above the biggest timesink out there if you haven't got a character of the faction you want the allied race of, and it is in no way challenging content so you don't "work" towards it because nothing you do in that timesink requires work.
    It just requires an obscene amount of time, doing the same thing over and over.

Give me 4 different Mage Tower-esque challenges and I'll GLADLY do those, because that would actually be working for what you want.
    This is just cruel and unusual considering it's supposed to be a large selling point for the expansion.

Considering how many of us have level all of our classes already, this seems to almost penalize players for having played a lot.
    Yet for those of us who haven't, like me, it's encouraged me to finally go out and do that, in combination with the thankfully still accessible class specific Legion content. I'm leveling a mag'har shaman!

If you'd just be leveling a character of a class you've already played, yeah, that'd probably be pretty mundane. You could just not do it if that's the case. But for me it's been an extra bonus while leveling my mage, paladin, and now shaman.

You don't need the heritage armor at all, even for looks, if you're not going to be playing the race anyway because you already have someone nearly identical in your roster.

Don’t really care about it one way or the other. If I like the armor, I’ll spend some free time leveling up for it, if I don’t then I won’t touch it.
    That being said, I think it would have been nice for Blizz to have kept it the same for all races. Either swap allied race heritage armor and require a scenario to be completed at max level (including paid race swaps), or make NE/BE and future classic races heritage armor require leveling 1-100. Why not 120? Well, classic races start at level 1 and allied races start at lvl 20.

Deleted
    am i the only one that wishes we got new races instead of allied

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    With all respect: If that if your argument, then we should also get free gear from raids and dungeons, since it's part of the contend that we paid for. In my opinion, part of a game is to give people something to look forward to. You grind to get a mount or some gear. Why is it any different from leveling a character, which is much easier than completing say a raid?
    There shouldn't even be a quest.

I mean, we are still waiting to play Zandalari.
    "so what, you wait till it comes out" you could say, but what if I wanted to main Zandalari? Just like I could main goblin when Cata came out, Draenei when TBC came out, Death Knight when Wotlk came out.

Imagine having to kill Keal'thas in TBC to unlock Blood Elfs. It would be very flavorful, but...would you really wanna do the attunment quests and the harsh TBC gearing all over again 6 months after already having put a lot of effort to your character.

Call me entitled, but I just think it's very damaging to the game, holding your biggest cards so tight to your chest.

Nope, it's fine. Not every piece of optional content is punishing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Fact #1: Allied races should have never been locked behing reputation.
    Fact #2: Heritage armor for all allied races should be unlocked like Dwarf and Blood Elf armor will be unlocked: max level, exalted, do a scenario.
    Fact 1: Allied races locked behind rep is fine and makes sense lorewise. Otherwise, we get a situation best summed up by .... "Hey, I just met you. Join my crusade where most (Read: ALL) of your people will become targets of murder and genocide! Sure you have no idea if I am a tyrant or seeking to oppress you once you join us, but surprises are fun!" Yes, that makes entirely more sense than having to prove you are worth joining up with and your cause is worth fighting for. Point in case: The Nightborne would have been far more likely to join the Alliance upon initial introduction. Why didn't they? Because Tyrande decided to be a twat about their people and look down her nose at them and, in turn, they were like, "Well fuck those guys. The Horde also helped us win back Suramar, let's see what they are like."

Now, if you want to talk about how horrible the grinding of that reputation is (especially the BFA reps), I am totally with you. Grinding rep sucks. I do wish they made some kind of catch up mechanic to help speed along the process of getting the rep. Maybe it takes a week of quests (like 7 days worth of WQs that give tons of rep) similar to how the Wintersaber Trainers were in Vanilla. Say, you do a scenario, and then get a series of like 3 quests per day (they would be different quests) worth like 2k rep each. That would take you from fresh toon to Exalted in 7 days. And if you hit Exalted before the 7 days, you jump directly to one last quest to talk to someone in the main city where you get the recruitment quest chain. This would apply for the ones from Legion. And once BFA is over and the next expansion is out, a similar chain would open for the BFA allied races. The BFA races, during BFA, would be unlocked similar to how they currently are, but I would bump the rep gains from WQs by like 50-200% depending on the quest. 75-150 rep per quest is bullshit. 150-300 rep per quest sounds fine. Then you simply put most of the rewards being related to the allied race (and the additional FP/camps in the opposing factions islands) and nothing crazy powerful. Maybe the "weakest" or "least used" 3 star recipes on there is fine too, and a mount or a pet or something. Nothing too crazy. No gear.

Fact 2: Totally agree on this on principle, but I agree even further because I hate leveling and have all classes at max and don't want to level multiples of the same class.

I am curious: If I were to level someone for Heritage armor and get the armor unlocked, I know that I can use it on other toons of that same Allied race, but if I delete the toon that I leveled FOR the armor, does it stick around since I technically leveled all the way? I mean, it is part of a reward for an achievement, right?

Because I would rather not have tons of other toons around that I don't intend to play just clogging up my character list.

Fact #2: Heritage armor for all allied races should be unlocked like Dwarf and Blood Elf armor will be unlocked: max level, exalted, do a scenario.
    There is a difference between fact and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    But the way this is handled is disproportionally far and above the biggest timesink out there if you haven't got a character of the faction you want the allied race of, and it is in no way challenging content so you don't "work" towards it because nothing you do in that timesink requires work.
    It just requires an obscene amount of time, doing the same thing over and over.

Give me 4 different Mage Tower-esque challenges and I'll GLADLY do those, because that would actually be working for what you want.
    This is just cruel and unusual considering it's supposed to be a large selling point for the expansion.
    It'll feel really good when you overcome this challenge.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    i'm real glad heritage armor isn't shared between the main race and the allied race. makes it very easy to not care about it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have one of every class at at least 100, with two of those at 110 and one at 120. That's on the Horde side. Then on the Alliance side I have two 100s and a 105, duplicates of the Hordes but on the opposite faction. I also have one of every class on the Alliance side, just at lower levels.

so what I'm doing with the allied races is I picked a new server and am leveling them there (both Horde and Alliance). Yes, I'm leveling classes I already have at high levels, just to get some armor, but I've always been an altohaulic and loved leveling characters back in the day (even after the scaling changes and heirloom nerfs it's still pretty fun), so it's more of a distraction from my high level toons than anything.

what I DO take issue with is how they're unlocked. I get doing BFA content to unlock the Mag'har or Dark Iron Dwarves, but after Legion became OLD content they should have immediately opened up the Legion allied races (the 4 that came if you pre-ordered BFA) and not locked them behind Legion rep grinds any longer. Because I unlocked ONE of the allied races back in April of 2018 but then I took a break for several months and am behind on rep to unlock the Highmountain Tauren and the ones that require Argus and the Army of the Light rep or whatever. So now I have dailies in those zones to look forward to on my 120...which is not going to be fun, even if it's quick and easy.

I don't really care one way or another, but what is this fascination with calling opinions facts?

I'm happy playing a race to max level - even if it was 120 not 110 to unlock it.

But I think having requirements on allied races is daft.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

I feel like Heritage armor -- although optional -- just represents a totally unreasonable expectation of players. Hell, you can't even unlock the respective allied races cross-faction, or even start them on different servers.

Considering how many of us have level all of our classes already, this seems to almost penalize players for having played a lot. What if it were simply for taking a character from 110 to 120? Or add some super-difficult Mage Challenge Tower-esque boss for unlocking your Heritage armor?

Because without Heritage armor, most Allied Races are completely indistinguishable from their base counterparts.

I would like a Mag'har Warrior and a Zandalari Shaman. But having to level classes I already have, from scratch, just to get their defining armor, seems kind of ridiculous.

Does anyone else feel like the expectation is completely unreasonable?
    Don't bother with MMO-C, the people here derive their validation from having wasted extraordinary amounts of time on pointless stupid shit and genuinly think of that as an achievment.