Page 1 of 3
LastLast

how do you move and execute your dps rotation these days?

Back on wotlk, I was moving with mouse and used all my keyboard keys for spells only, I was top dps then and I even reached 2400 in arena (2600mmr), I had some limitations with movement though since I couldn't strafe or backpedal. Some other people who were top dps too during that time also moved with mouse. I had many friends who changed to mouse moving and improved massively as dps.

During legion I had to change everything because I wanted to play a healer, also the encounters required more flexible movement, so I now move like everyone else with keyboard but this limits a lot my ability to execute a dps rotation, I just can't dps especially if I play melee since I can't reach the keybinds and it's very confusing to move and use spells at the same time with keyboard. My ability to move well has dropped in arena as well, also my ability to use modifiers.

I assume most people have a great mouse so it doesn't matter if they move with keyboard since they can do almost everything with mouse. I can't do that because my mouse sucks. The only role I can play well now is healer at pve only, I can play tank too if its too easy like druid. In order to cope with this I tried to experiment with castsequence but it doesn't seem to help much, I'm pulling like 10k dps as retri or feral at 365+ilvl gear, not really great...So I'm wondering now, should I go back to my previous style assuming I want to play a dps class?

How do you move in pve or arena and execute your dps rotation?

Why can't you move with keyboard and execute a dps rotation at the same time?

Deleted
    What do you mean you move like everyone else with a keyboard? If you're implying that the majority of people click and don't use keybindings then you're mistaken.

As for how I move as a melee DPS it's usually a combination of both mouse buttons held in or right mouse button held in with w or other directional keys.

I use the keyboard (WASD) move, using the mouse to turn, holding right or left click. (I play mainly PVE, dungeons + raids)

All my main rotations are also done using the keyboard, with CD's and utility bound to my mouse (a razer naga).
    I could get rid of my mouse buttons by using a second modifier key, but I have gotten used to my setup by now.

My convention is:
    ½ 1 2 3 4 5
    q e
    are used together with modifiers (usually I use alt, but shift or control can also be used, as long as it is inuitive). This has easily been enough for me so far.

There is several tricks I use for this to work out for me.
    1: I use conventions across my chars; interupts are on the same button, cd's are on the same button, aoe are on the same button, defensives and so on.
    2: I dont bind stuff that doesn't need to be bound. This includes stuff like portals and buffs. I can always click that.
    3: I use the addons Clique and Opie to bind extra stuff. Clique for mouse over stuff and Opie for CC and the like. I don't need that stuff on my bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Back on wotlk, I was moving with mouse and used all my keyboard keys for spells only, I was top dps then and I even reached 2400 in arena (2600mmr), I had some limitations with movement though since I couldn't strafe or backpedal. Some other people who were top dps too during that time also moved with mouse. I had many friends who changed to mouse moving and improved massively as dps.

During legion I had to change everything because I wanted to play a healer, also the encounters required more flexible movement, so I now move like everyone else with keyboard but this limits a lot my ability to execute a dps rotation, I just can't dps especially if I play melee since I can't reach the keybinds and it's very confusing to move and use spells at the same time with keyboard. My ability to move well has dropped in arena as well, also my ability to use modifiers.

I assume most people have a great mouse so it doesn't matter if they move with keyboard since they can do almost everything with mouse. I can't do that because my mouse sucks. The only role I can play well now is healer at pve only, I can play tank too if its too easy like druid. In order to cope with this I tried to experiment with castsequence but it doesn't seem to help much, I'm pulling like 10k dps as retri or feral at 365+ilvl gear, not really great...So I'm wondering now, should I go back to my previous style assuming I want to play a dps class?

Seeing that you said your mouse sucked, may be it's time to try get a better one?

IMO, any mouse that has a bunch of clickable numbers on side are good, such as Razor Naga. It completely changed the way I play the game.

Without a Razor Naga, you have to move your left hand fingers to click 1234 to use abilities, meanwhile still pressing the qwes to continue strafing. I can only speak for myself, but doing both at the same time is just awkward and is prone is misclick.

Meanwhile, with a Razor, you get to use your right hand thumb to click the numbers, you would normally never use it when playing games otherwise, and once you get used to it (Which wouldn't take long, atmost 1-2 hours), it makes everything so much easier, you're basically improving your right hand capacity by 33%

Last edited by nothingsjim; 2018-10-15 at 09:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Razer Naga/Orbweaver. On the Orbweaver I only use WSAD, 123, shift and alt (bound to the keys under the thumb, to activate/use 24 buttons on the Naga). I have zero issues moving and pushing the rotation that way. Also because of the Naga/Orb, my hands are always fixed, never lifted.

That said, I prolly couldn't play this game without a Naga anymore.

(inb4 Razer sucks, you can do the same with any multi-button mouse or gamepad. I am pointing out the convenience of having those as these have severely reduce 'hand movement' for me personally)

Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    Seeing that you said your mouse sucked, may be it's time to try get a better one?

IMO, any mouse that has a bunch of clickable numbers on side are good, such as Razor Naga. It completely changed the way I play the game.
    Yeah. I cannot agree more.

I invested in a Razer Naga back in 2012 and i gotta admit it felt very weird at the start and somewhat uncomfortable having numbers where my thumb is resting, but after getting used to it i can honestly say my playtime in WoW got alot more enjoyable and became able to react faster and mind my surroundings more in boss fights.

I'd like to know what you mean with not being able to reach your buttons..
    If your hand is unable to reach Q, E, R, T, F, G, V, C, X, <, Tab, §, 1, 2, 3, 4 while holding over WASD, I am inclined to believe you have other physical problems prohibiting you from playing at the level you would prefer. Nowadays and in Legion, classes were also pruned down to not even need as many keybinds as I gave as an example here.

Could you clarify on the not being able to reach part or elaborate on why you actually can't move and dps?

W,S are forward and back,A,D are strafe,Q,E are frequently used abilities with cd's,Shift+Q,E for slightly longer cd's,G502 mouse has 3 side buttons for primary rotation abilities,Right Scroll is bound to Alt,so less used rotation abilities are Left Scroll+3 side buttons,other abilities with long cd's are bound to 1-4,F1-F4 are the longest cd's,this usually lets me move and dps with no worries.

I fully understand what you mean. I to use the mouse for movement exclusively as I can't get used to using buttons on the side of it (claw grip).
    All my reachable keys are already bound (tab, Q,W,E,R,T,Y,I,1,2,3,4,5,6,F1,F2,F3,A,S,D,F,G, SPACE)
    I have been thinking of using a foot switch panel to either strafe and backpedal, or just as a modifier

For mouse movers like me, i cannot recommend the logitech G510 keyboard more highly enough. With 18 programmable keys on the side it makes everything a breeze.

As for healing while moving with a mouse, I only really find it a problem if you use mouse over macros. But even then for pve I don't find it too troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    I was top dps then and I even reached 2400 in arena (2600mmr), I had some limitations with movement though since I couldn't strafe or backpedal.

I'm finding it difficult to believe this. Strafing enables you to continue DPSing while moving away from targets at obtuse angles. Not being able to strafe means you either have to turn entirely away from your target, or only run towards it. ANY time you had to move away from your target you'd have to stop DPSing.

I simply do not believe you could achieve "top" dps or high arena ratings without strafing. Everything else about your post suggests that you struggle with complex movement-related activities, and yet you want us to believe that you were some kind of pro during the good ol days.

But on the off chance that this is some mystical skill you trained yourself to be good at, just add more keybinds using modifying keys like shift, ctrl, or alt. There shouldn't be ANY reason why you'd need more buttons than this would provide. 1-5, QWERTY, ASDFG, ZXCVB, followed by SHIFT+1-5, SHIFT+QWERTY, etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Redanqt View Post
    Why can't you move with keyboard and execute a dps rotation at the same time?
    It's really confusing for me, dunno why, I feel like I don't have a good balance and I lack strength on the fingers when I have to use two buttons at the same time with the same hand, also when I chase targets in the arena, it sucks even more. I can only press the buttons when I don't move but you have to move all the time on pve or the arena, as a healer I don't have a problem in pve only because as a healer you don't need to be on top of the boss and you don't need to spam a rotation. This style is literally a must if you play a healer in pve since healbot healing is mandatory but I think its worse if you are playing with with another role.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I'm finding it difficult to believe this. Strafing enables you to continue DPSing while moving away from targets at obtuse angles. Not being able to strafe means you either have to turn entirely away from your target, or only run towards it. ANY time you had to move away from your target you'd have to stop DPSing.

I simply do not believe you could achieve "top" dps or high arena ratings without strafing. Everything else about your post suggests that you struggle with complex movement-related activities, and yet you want us to believe that you were some kind of pro during the good ol days.

But on the off chance that this is some mystical skill you trained yourself to be good at, just add more keybinds using modifying keys like shift, ctrl, or alt. There shouldn't be ANY reason why you'd need more buttons than this would provide. 1-5, QWERTY, ASDFG, ZXCVB, followed by SHIFT+1-5, SHIFT+QWERTY, etc etc etc.
    As funny as that sounds, I first found about strafing when I played my hunter in MOP, as a hunter you can't do anything without strafing but the rest of classes can survive without it, even then I was using mouse buttons for strafing with my hunter and reached 1.9k rating with him. I played destru lock in Wotlk and I could literally one shot a melee even if he was on me. The hardest part was using shadowfury and mouseover killing tremors(when you couldn't anymore with petmacro) but I got used to it. I can't talk about a melee, I never played one in arena so I don't know if they can manage without strafing, as destru it was fine though.

My problem is not that I lack keybinds, I can barely use even the basic ones while moving except R or E perhaps, I was using a lot of modifiers before but that's impossible now. If I want to play a dps these days, I make a single dps macro with castsequence and bind it at wheel and then I spam it, this can work with some classes who have a predictable and easy rotation, eg. I was one of the best dps with my bm hunter at legion when I played like this but I totally suck with other dps classes who have more rng rotation with procs etc.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2018-10-15 at 12:55 PM.

Shits all over M+K in WoW
    Last edited by Fantaman767; 2018-10-15 at 01:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You got small hands or something?

I use both keyboard and mouse to move, but mostly mouse during a fight. I have no problem hitting keybinds while moving with the keyboard either, but under intense movement, it's better to use mouse. We don't want no keyboard turning now do we.

Are you trying to say that anyone that moves with the keyboard is a clicker?
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2018-10-15 at 01:34 PM.

I'd suggest just practicing it. Go to a target dummy and try to do your dps rotation with constant movement.

I use a combination of right click the mouse to keep my view where I need it while turning and strafing. To use my abilities, I use my unusually dexterous fingers to smash the appropriate buttons. I mostly use M3, M4, M5, Q, E, F with shift, alt, and or control modifiers if necessary. I also have 8 programmable keys on my keyboard that I use for macros.

I move with the keyboard more than the mouse and still use keybinds fine. 12345 eq with alt Ctrl and shift
    My a and d are bound to strafe. Use the mouse to turn and target
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

15+ Year Old Account
    My theory is the people who don't use strafe are the ones dying by standing in crap.

Mouse-to-move exclusively feels weird to me. Majority of my arena junkie friends were mouse-to-move. It reminds me of pressing gas and using break pedal with 2 different feet.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    WASD to move. I have A and D bound to left and right strafe. I use my mouse to turn.

I was a clicker and keyboard turner until...around end of Wrath, I think. I took it a few steps at a time. Started with doing nothing but binding A and D to left and right strafe (so I couldn't keyboard turn). I was still clicking, so by the time I got into this habit, it was pretty annoying to be a clicker and still need my mouse to turn. So I keybound a few of my most used abilities at a time and slowly forced myself to use them that way.

I'm at the point now where I couldn't imagine going back to my old style. I do still click a few things (my mount, toys, etc), but none of the stuff I click is part of my rotation.

edit: my mouse and keyboard are nothing fancy. I'm still rocking my Logitech G5. And some random Logitech wired keyboard that I got at Wal Mart several years ago.