Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    While this expansion doesn't really get me all wound up with joy, it's far from mediocre. WoW has always been a bit of a middling, it can't be something to everyone and unfortunately for those that feel left out, they'll be left out for 2 years until the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    What is it with all the people who are completely obsessed with WoW failing
    Why do they want WoW to fail so much?
    I don't like thing and it bothers me that you like thing I don't like.

It's not exactly fair to say that people are wasting their time by playing. Even if by the sunk cost fallacy, if they're enjoying it, then it's completely logical for them to keep playing. If you're going to enjoy another game less because you aren't emotionally invested, I don't see why you would play that game at all.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Arckos View Post
    Just wondering: it would make a lot of sense if people became unable to recognize that they're wasting their time on a bad expansion, after having invested so much money/time into this game?
    Much like League of Legends and my old characters on other servers, I've come to realize that if I eventually no longer want to play WoW other than once in a blue moon, then that's what'll happen. I already took like a 9 month break from it in Legion, and I'm in another break period now until the patch comes out.

So sometimes you can beat the sunk cost fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    What is it with all the people who are completely obsessed with WoW failing
    Why do they want WoW to fail so much?
    I think they like attention. Back in the day, we called them attention w****s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just another thought: What are the sunk costs for someone who has quit the game and still hangs around forums poking at people and essentially stalking the game? Bigger waste of time frankly.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, obviously people that enjoy the game are problem. Not people that believe game went to shit 8 years ago, but still pay Blizzard and spam all forums. ;D

But seriously bitching went out of control, it's closer to conspiracy theory communities than people criticizing video game. Look what happened yesterday, first they were jerking off to obvious fake numbers and later (when mods tried to cut the spam) they blamed Blizz for deleting negative comments (while official forums are drowning with negative comments since inception of WoW). Of course MMOChamp and WoWhead quickly become part of conspiracy too when they closed reduntant threads.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Just another thought: What are the sunk costs for someone who has quit the game and still hangs around forums poking at people and essentially stalking the game? Bigger waste of time frankly.
    This is an active forum and I enjoy having conversations about WoW. I actually recently resubbed to the game after being unsubbed for more than a year and a half. But even said, I don't think being subscribed is a precursor to enjoying discussion.

Personal experience here but I also enjoy talking about cars and I participate in discussions on a fairly active car enthusiast forum. I don't own any of the cars being discussed about but I still enjoy the discussion. Now, if I went into every thread saying shit like, "you're a fucking idiot for liking {x car}," I'd understandably be shut down pretty quickly. I think this forum in particular is interesting because having an opinion like that is not only not that unusual, some threads actually encourage those kinds of opinions. (The vitriol spewed towards retail players on the Classic forum for example.) Whether or not that's a good thing is open for discussion but I think we can all agree this place would be far less interesting if all of the opinions shared by forums fell easily into one group or another or were exclusively positive or negative.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Haven't bothered with WoW for a few years and I like BfA. I think the real fallacy here is some people think "I don't like it" is the same as "It's objectively bad".
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Just wondering: it would make a lot of sense if people became unable to recognize that they're wasting their time on a bad expansion, after having invested so much money/time into this game?
    Possible.

Another reason is that they don't have a deep understanding of game mechanics and are happy with current fisher price class rotations.

Absolutely... the trick for a business is to know how many people feel this way so that you can capitalize on it.

There are plenty of people who will probably die before leaving the game. But how many truly love it and how many continue on because leaving would mean accepting that it was mostly all for nothing?

This probably causes a lot of frustration and anger in people as they struggle with the reality as it hits them, so it is really no wonder that most game forums in general are pretty ragey.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Some people just genuinely like things other people don't. I know, it's a mystery why.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Nostalgia for one. I haven’t played baseball in decades but I still like to talk about the game. Not so much in the “my team versus your team” sort of way... more in the strategies and general history way.

Deleted
    You can tell who's sunk the most cost into the game by how loudly they're protesting against the idea, I think.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    You can tell who's sunk the most cost into the game by how loudly they're protesting against the idea, I think.
    Ah yes, the infallible logic of "you either agree with me or are in denial."

Oh no! There's 3 pieces of gear with unexciting traits on them? Better quit a game that has great raiding, good dungeons, stellar setting and zones with some of the best questing the game's had... because my loot is a little wonky? Please. WoW's never not been a waste of time like pretty much the majority of entertainment.

I just still enjoy leveling and unlocking sub-races which I had been waiting for a long time. I stopped raiding (real raiding, not LFR) a long time ago and competitive PVP so those technical issues aren't glaring to me at all.

I enjoy BFA, think both raids and M+ are a lot of fun. No need to explain it any other way.

The only reason I'm playing WoW is because every other game on the market is trash. I already knew coming into BFA that Islands and warfronts were going to be a joke so no surprise there. The GCD change feels wonky and if I wanted to play some slow clucky mess then id play FF14. Azerite was a mistake but im hoping they make it better in 8.1. Either way I'm done trying to find a game to whisk me away from WoW. Ive tried em all over the years all of them are garbage in their own special way. Maybe Classic is what im looking for.

No, I am having fun raiding, doing mythic+ and pvping. Complaining about wow being bad xpac over xpac is the real sunk cost