Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I mean, it's not a big secret. It's kind of in the name. Normally, it would probably be a semester in psychology class. At tops a semester in medicine. But other than that, yeah... please, don't overanalyse. It's not that magical. And it's certainly not needed for society.

Question for you, what exactly are you supposed to do with that degree later? What's the actual field of works? Game rules, you're not allowed to just invent the Gender Inspector job that runs through the city or office and makes sure everyone knows what their gender is.

- - - Updated - - -

How many other monotheistic religions that aren't abrahamic do you know? I'm not saying this to discuss religion, I'm discrediting you, is all.

(Hint: I know one, but I'm fairly certain you'll have to use Google for it :P)
    Heh, now that you say it, I could have just written abrahamic religions.

I guess the religion you are thinking of is Zoroastrianism, which I dont know thaaat much about, so I probably shouldnt have generalised it. I will fix my post.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    No but you could make a job that makes sure no one uses the wrong pronoun when referring to someone and if anyone opposes using tax dollars to pay you then they are obviously a bigot.
    I meant you're not allowed to invent any new jobs, I just used an amusing example... I see the phrasing was not watertight enough. :P

Another thought experiment. I'd like to create a uni course... it'll be Bullshit. No, I'm serious, the uni course is "Bullshit". Again, the name implies the topic. And I'll create the bullshit talker, it's a professional spin doctor kind of deal, so political parties can outsource their bullshit department and hire professional bullshitters to write their speeches for them.

I mean, let's be honest, May's forced optimism without any actual solutions sound the same every week. A professional bullshitter would mark the dangers of a bored audience and spin the story correctly. This is an important field of study!

I hope everyone gets the satire...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

What You Can Do With a WGS Major
    “What can I do with a major in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies?”
    A degree in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies prepares you for almost anything. It’s an interdisciplinary course of study that introduces students to hidden histories, explores complex social structures, confronts injustice and oppression, and hones the skills of citizens of the future. Above all, it helps students understand themselves. But how does all of this translate to a career?

What Employers Want
    Many employers seek out liberal arts graduates, knowing that a liberal arts education emphasizes critical thinking, writing, and presentation skills. A liberal arts degree shows an employer that you have studied a wide variety of topics and have a broader view of the world than other applicants. A Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies major provides all of these benefits and more:

Expertise in finding and using information on contemporary social issues
    An understanding of differences of gender, sexuality, race, culture, and social class
    Insight into the connections among different forms of oppression
    A foundation for analyzing inequities and initiating change
    This preparation in critical thinking and social awareness is also excellent background for students pursuing graduate and professional degrees.

Real People, Real Jobs
    What kind of job can you get with a major in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies? When Barbara Luebke and Mary Ellen Reilly researched this question, they found graduates working in the arts, business and industry, education, health care, the media, politics, law, social work, psychology, and sports:

Administrator of a human services department
    Advocate for victims of domestic violence and hate crimes
    Artist
    Associate director of a human rights organization
    Business owner
    Clergy
    Communications consultant
    Congressional aide
    Coordinator of a women’s health clinic
    Director of social service agency
    Executive director of a foundation
    Film production assistant
    Flight instructor
    Journalist
    Law enforcement officer
    Librarian
    Manager of energy conservation
    Musician
    Novelist
    Nurse practitioner
    Physician
    Professor
    Program director of a rape crisis center
    Psychologist
    Psychotherapist
    Public health educator
    Public relations director
    Social worker
    Teacher
    Theater staff
    Town manager
    Union organizer

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    No, it's in total. But it's part-time distance learning, and only 2 years for Master.

But aaaanyway, in other places in Europe university isnt that expensive. In Germany, I paid like 300€/semester at best.
    Still a big chunk of change for a course that no one seems to be able to explain what its about.

I do 2 evenings a week on a course that costs £3500 for the year, main thing is it will lead to something worth while in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Heh, now that you say it, I could have just written abrahamic religions.

I guess the religion you are thinking of is Zoroastrianism, which I dont know thaaat much about, so I probably shouldnt have generalised it. I will fix my post.
    Ah, you're a good sport.

I'm impressed that you picked Zoroastrianism instead of Sikhism, which would've been my choice.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it's not a big secret. It's kind of in the name. Normally, it would probably be a semester in psychology class. At tops a semester in medicine. But other than that, yeah... please, don't overanalyse. It's not that magical. And it's certainly not needed for society.

Question for you, what exactly are you supposed to do with that degree later? What's the actual field of works? Game rules, you're not allowed to just invent the Gender Inspector job that runs through the city or office and makes sure everyone knows what their gender is.

- - - Updated - - -

How many other monotheistic religions that aren't abrahamic do you know? I'm not saying this to discuss religion, I'm discrediting you, is all.

(Hint: I know one, but I'm fairly certain you'll have to use Google for it :P)
    Top jobs for gender studies majors are Lawyer (which I assume means they go on to get a degree in law as well and specialize in gender cases), and there are probably a lot of people who just advise lawyers, which is something basically MOST fields of study do, but it's another option. Human resources, for pretty obvious reasons.

The university I went to had a "Gender studies" degree and it involved a lot of various courses, as well as some specialized courses on gender issues. I think 2 people actually got the degree in 4 years, and otherwise the classes are used as electives and supplementary courses for other jobs... as pointed out, Law and HR both need people familiar with gender issues and gender law.

It's a really really really really really really REALLY uncommon major, so whenever someone talks about how they can't find a job with their major, and someone says "LULZ DON'T GET GENDER STUDIES DEGREE THEN!" they actually likely got a degree in a hard science. The market is fucking flooded with science majors, so you need a masters to get anything decent in most science fields.

So the really funny part is, people in gender studies fields are finding jobs just fine because market demand and supply are about equal. Science is fucking flooded to shit with people.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2018-10-18 at 11:28 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    They aren't allowed to blame the Jews anymore without looking like crackpots (and blaming Muslims just gets them branded racists), so they need another insignificant minority to blame everything on.
    Gender identity is truly the greatest threat of our time.

A degree in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies prepares you for almost anything. It’s an interdisciplinary course of study that introduces students to hidden histories, explores complex social structures, confronts injustice and oppression, and hones the skills of citizens of the future. Above all, it helps students understand themselves. But how does all of this translate to a career?

What Employers Want
    Many employers seek out liberal arts graduates, knowing that a liberal arts education emphasizes critical thinking, writing, and presentation skills. A liberal arts degree shows an employer that you have studied a wide variety of topics and have a broader view of the world than other applicants. A Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies major provides all of these benefits and more:

An understanding of differences of gender, sexuality, race, culture, and social class
    This preparation in critical thinking and social awareness is also excellent background for students pursuing graduate and professional degrees.

Real People, Real Jobs
    What kind of job can you get with a major in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies? When Barbara Luebke and Mary Ellen Reilly researched this question, they found graduates working in the arts, business and industry, education, health care, the media, politics, law, social work, psychology, and sports:

Artist
    Business owner
    Clergy
    Congressional aide
    Flight instructor
    Journalist
    Law enforcement officer
    Librarian
    Musician
    Novelist
    Nurse practitioner
    Physician
    Professor
    Psychologist
    Psychotherapist
    Public health educator
    Social worker
    Teacher
    Theater staff
    Town manager
    Union organizer
    I like how you pick stuff like "business owner" or "musician", "novelist".. I mean seriously, a professional football player would have about the same kind of qualifications for this list.

Deleted
    I'm not sure I agree with he's saying about pushing an ideology, it seems less to be the subject and more the people who teach it who should be scrutinised.

But thank god we have a president who stands up for my right to be offended by trivial things.

What Employers Want

Real People, Real Jobs

Artist
    Business owner
    Clergy
    Congressional aide
    Flight instructor
    Journalist
    Law enforcement officer
    Librarian
    Musician
    Novelist
    Nurse practitioner
    Physician
    Professor
    Psychologist
    Psychotherapist
    Public health educator
    Social worker
    Teacher
    Theater staff
    Town manager
    Union organizer
    That's an impressive scope of jobs that ANYONE could do even without a WGS qualification. From minimum wage to big ££££

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Top jobs for gender studies majors are Lawyer (which I assume means they go on to get a degree in law as well and specialize in gender cases), and there are probably a lot of people who just advise lawyers, which is something basically MOST fields of study do, but it's another option. Human resources, for pretty obvious reasons.

The university I went to had a "Gender studies" degree and it involved a lot of various courses, as well as some specialized courses on gender issues. I think 2 people actually got the degree in 4 years, and otherwise the classes are used as electives and supplementary courses for other jobs... as pointed out, Law and HR both need people familiar with gender issues and gender law.
    Ok, here's the issue I have with "gender studies". The topic is too narrow. Gender studies is a semester in a sociology course, not an entire course on its own. There's just not enough material on it and I seriously doubt a narrow subject field like that can provide the proper context to actually work scientifically. And without the whole sociological and historical context, the study is really just about perpetuating gender discrimination by keeping the topic alive. Yeah, you heard it. I maintain that discrimination of any kind is always in danger of being artificially kept alive simply by people continueing to talk about the differences instead of letting it drop and see if society can get on without additional guidance.

I'm not saying don't talk about the topic. It should naturally be a mandatory subject as part of the sociology courses. But its own entire thing? That's a bit much. Might as well make a new field about "fonts and their impact on modern advertisement" a course on its own. See what I mean?
    Last edited by Slant; 2018-10-18 at 11:22 AM.

Would just like to point out, that in 2018, the Republicans now look to Russia, China and Hungary as models of what they want in the US.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, here's the issue I have with "gender studies". The topic is too narrow. Gender studies is a semester in a sociology course, not an entire course on its own. There's just not enough material on it and I seriously doubt a narrow subject field like that can provide the proper context to actually work scientifically. And without the whole sociological and historical context, the study is really just about perpetuating gender discrimination by keeping the topic alive. Yeah, you heard it. I maintain that discrimination of any kind is always in danger of being artificially kept alive simply by people continueing to talk about the differences instead of letting it drop and see if society can get on without additional guidance.

I'm not saying don't talk about the topic. It should naturally be a mandatory subject as part of the sociology courses. But its own entire thing? That's a bit much. Might as well make a new field about "fonts and their impact on modern advertisement" a course on its own. See what I mean?
    It's a really really really really really really REALLY uncommon major, so whenever someone talks about how they can't find a job with their major, and someone says "LULZ DON'T GET GENDER STUDIES DEGREE THEN!" they actually likely got a degree in a hard science. The market is fucking flooded with science majors, so you need a masters to get anything decent in most science fields.

So the really funny part is, people in gender studies fields are finding jobs just fine because market demand and supply are about equal. Science is fucking flooded to shit with people.

Thing is, the genders ARE different, and not fully equal in every way. There are differences in the male and female brains, and the bodies. Sure, a woman can build up her body and there are many women who are stronger than anyone on this board, including all of the men, that's not the average. So yeah, there's actually a way to make an entire course on the differences between the genders, considering there's an enormous field of studies comparing the abilities of men vs women. It's nice that you see everyone as a "person" and not a he or she I guess, but that won't change what differences there are.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    Thank God for Orban. Actual democratic leader, who has a constitutional majority in the Parliament. What he did for Hungary, the rest of the world leaders can only aspire to do for their own countries.

Because it's a waste good taxpayer's money.
    I, too, want my countries leaders to control the press, be very authoritarian and be even more corrupt.

I though you guys loved freedom so much?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Would just like to point out, that in 2018, the Republicans now look to Russia, China and Hungary as models of what they want in the US.
    Just look what Hungary keeps writing about that Dutch Green member of the EU parliament that exposed them for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I, too, want my countries leaders to control the press, be very authoritarian and be even more corrupt.

I though you guys loved freedom so much?

- - - Updated - - -

Just look what Hungary keeps writing about that Dutch Green member of the EU parliament that exposed them for what they are.
    Make America China/Russia/Hungary Again

Are people who shit on gender studies courses even aware of what they entail? Or is this just one of those red herrings everyone loves to shit on, but has no clue what it even is?
    I didn't look for the Hungarian syllabuses, but I suspect they're not far from the ones taught in the US. Here are a few google showed me from "gender studies syllabus":
    http://www.wstudies.pitt.edu/sites/d...2C%20930AM.pdf
    https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/womens-a...2014/syllabus/
    https://www.umu.se/en/education/syllabus/2kc003/

You might note the lack of verifiable studies, the overuse of feminism and in some particular cases radical feminism theory. The courses essentially focus of post-modern teachings, social justice and feminism. They're obviously there to push an agenda, the bias is clear in every syllabus you can see. It's easy to make the argument that is not acceptable to expect public funding for this.

There's also some documented criticism of the courses through the years:
    https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2016/07/17119/
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e-blaming-bias
    http://wakeforestreview.com/problem-gender-studies1/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlGSG0q-Fh4
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Good people are stupid, there should be more limitations on what to study many ruin their chances to get a job because they waste their collage studies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Honest question, what the fuck do you even study in gender studies?
    Effectively a subset of psychology which doesn't really deserve its own faculty. Whether a government of all should ban a faculty is another matter. As I said: Please ban theology as well then, and religious studies too, and if you are at it: applied media sciences (which is just a poor man's journalism).
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Thing is, the genders ARE different, and not fully equal in every way. There are differences in the male and female brains, and the bodies. Sure, a woman can build up her body and there are many women who are stronger than anyone on this board, including all of the men, that's not the average. So yeah, there's actually a way to make an entire course on the differences between the genders, considering there's an enormous field of studies comparing the abilities of men vs women. It's nice that you see everyone as a "person" and not a he or she I guess, but that won't change what differences there are.
    That's the trick, though isn't it. I don't see everyone as a "person". I see people for who they are. I just treat them the same, where it makes sense. Where it doesn't, I don't. If I treated everyone as a "person" I would actually be discriminating them, because I would be ignoring their gender, which is part of them, whether or not I, or heck even they, like it.

I'm not a complicated person, but "don't be a dick" usually does the trick for me. You have a few good points, though, so as a supplemental course I wouldn't shit on gender studies. I disagree that there's enough subject to fill an entire course on its own, though.

Having said that, I have the suspicion "course" is different for your college level system than it is for our uni. When we say we study a field, it pretty much means 4-5 years of solid study with the equivalent of a masters degree at the end. The bachelor/masters stuff was only introduced here in the last 10 years or so. And bachelors are really just "uni degree light" and only a tiny step above apprenticeship graduations when you are hiring people.