Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    isn't it only a recount when it's within 0,5% of each other?

i mean chances are it will happen, but right now the democratic candiate is still leading with 0,6% (9610 votes)
    Each state has their own rules. It's a confusing mess. Not sure what Arizona's rule is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Each state has their own rules. It's a confusing mess. Not sure what Arizona's rule is.

i mean chances are it will happen, but right now the democratic candiate is still leading with 0,6% (9610 votes)
    This was pretty easy to look up:
    State statutes stipulate the following conditions for automatic recounts:[3]

“ A recount of the vote is required when the canvass of returns in a primary or general election shows that the margin between the two candidates receiving the greatest number of votes for a particular office, or between the number of votes cast for and against initiated or referred measures or proposals to amend the Constitution of Arizona, is less than or equal to the lesser of the following:
    1. One-tenth of one per cent of the number of votes cast for both such candidates or upon such measures or proposals.
    0.1%
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I just want to say as a Massachusetts citizen and taxpayer, what the hell is the wrong with so many of your states? This isn't a Democrat vs Republican thing because the same shitty practices carry over no matter who is governor or carrying the assembly in places like Florida. We have none of these voting issues. None. They're unheard of here.

Starting Jan 1st 2020, Massachusetts has automatic voter registration, whenever you interact with the DMV or Medicare or the census.
    As of this year, we gained a broader no-excuse absentee ballot, aka VOTE BY MAIL.
    We have a 3 day early voting window.
    We have same day absentee balloting.

Polling places are plentiful. My town of 20,000 has 6 voting locations in it. My parent's down has 8. I havent had to wait in line in 4 elections, despite huge, huge turn out. The last time I did wait in line, it was for about three minutes.

Voting is done via scantron, of which my voting location has three machines. I give my street address and name and take a balot. I go to the booth, fill it out with a black pen then, then go to check out. After I check out (giving name/address again... no voter ID at any stage), I put the ballot in the scantron machine right next to the table, and walk out the door.

This is so fucking easy, you states that screw it up look serially terrible at everything. Electronic voting? No. Use a Scantron.

These boxes of ballots that get lost? For fucking real? Multi-day ballot counting?

Americans aren't bad at Democracy. Massachusetts is as good as anywhere at it. Some states are basically developing countries when it comes to democracy. And I'm not even talking about voter surpression. I'm talking about the mechanics of voting.

The fact that it's even a question that there isn't a better form of voting than scantrons is a fucking farce.

They're only at 83% done with the vote count, so still have a bit to go. Hopefully Sinema wins, but her lead is only by a small margin and the remaining area still to be counted are most rural which tends to vote republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I just want to say as a Massachusetts citizen and taxpayer, what the hell is the wrong with so many of your states? This isn't a Democrat vs Republican thing because the same shitty practices carry over no matter who is governor or carrying the assembly in places like Florida. We have none of these voting issues. None. They're unheard of here.

Starting Jan 1st 2020, Massachusetts has automatic voter registration, whenever you interact with the DMV or Medicare or the census.
    As of this year, we gained a broader no-excuse absentee ballot, aka VOTE BY MAIL.
    We have a 3 day early voting window.
    We have same day absentee balloting.

Polling places are plentiful. My town of 20,000 has 6 voting locations in it. My parent's down has 8. I havent had to wait in line in 4 elections, despite huge, huge turn out. The last time I did wait in line, it was for about three minutes.

Voting is done via scantron, of which my voting location has three machines. I give my street address and name and take a balot. I go to the booth, fill it out with a black pen then, then go to check out. After I check out (giving name/address again... no voter ID at any stage), I put the ballot in the scantron machine right next to the table, and walk out the door.

This is so fucking easy, you states that screw it up look serially terrible at everything. Electronic voting? No. Use a Scantron.

These boxes of ballots that get lost? For fucking real? Multi-day ballot counting?

Americans aren't bad at Democracy. Massachusetts is as good as anywhere at it. Some states are basically developing countries when it comes to democracy. And I'm not even talking about voter surpression. I'm talking about the mechanics of voting.

The fact that it's even a question that there isn't a better form of voting than scantrons is a fucking farce.
    Florida has Scantron too, friendo. So, your Skroe rant is noted.

Agreed, that's why it should be everywhere.

Absentee voting should also be something which is made easier to do. Here in Texas it caters only to the elderly who normally vote republican. If your 65 or older you're allowed to do a mail-in ballot, some disabled are as well. But for everyone else you need to vote in person and for early voting it's limited to just a few polls which cover many precincts, so you'll need to stand in line for hours.

Hey... HEY
    my country is a developing one, and we have a much better voting system than FL or Georgia, thank you very much
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Massachusetts is filled with patriots who want people to vote.

Georgia and Florida on the other hand are right now ruled by traitors who would see democracy destroyed to stay in power.

EDIT: Brain fart, wrote Alabama when I meant Georgia.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Massachusetts is filled with patriots who want people to vote.

Georgia and Florida on the other hand are right now ruled by traitors who would see democracy destroyed to stay in power.

EDIT: Brain fart, wrote Alabama when I meant Georgia.
    I wanted to share this:

Democrats call this a swing state? That's delusional. They need to find ways to start winning in Florida, or find another state to win in. I didn't realize Republicans have ruled the state for 20 years. I could have sworn there was a Democratic Governor in the early 2000s. Clearly not though.

I wanted to share this:

Democrats call this a swing state? That's delusional. They need to find ways to start winning in Florida, or find another state to win in. I didn't realize Republicans have ruled the state for 20 years. I could have sworn there was a Democratic Governor in the early 2000s. Clearly not though.
    Hey. If you want to surrender Florida because of sour grapes, feel free. It will make things more hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Hey. If you want to surrender Florida because of sour grapes, feel free. It will make things more hilarious.
    "Sour grapes". The point is Democrats are having a hell of a time winning in the State despite constantly treating it as a place they should win.

In reality they haven't controlled the State level at all in 20 years. They've had only one Democratic Senator since Bob Graham retired after the 2004 election. The congressional delegation has been Republican dominated since 2004. The only bright spot is that Obama won Florida twice... but both times very narrowly (2.8% in 2008, and .88% in 2012). That narrow isn't success. It's a stay of execution.

Democrats need to stop treating Florida as a blue state that has these Republican exceptions. Florida is a Red State that can't be made Blue without a fundamentally different approach.

I wanted to share this:

Again, outside of a few key areas, Florida is as deep south as Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, the Carolinas, etc. Trump's brand of xenophobia, racism and misogyny is ear meth to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Again, outside of a few key areas, Florida is as deep south as Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, the Carolinas, etc. Trump's brand of xenophobia, racism and misogyny is ear meth to them.
    Yep.

All of which has me wondering why Democrats keep treating this place like the land of opportunity. I'd call it a "reach goal", and that's being charitable.

"Sour grapes". The point is Democrats are having a hell of a time winning in the State despite constantly treating it as a place they should win.

In reality they haven't controlled the State level at all in 20 years. They've had only one Democratic Senator since Bob Graham retired after the 2004 election. The congressional delegation has been Republican dominated since 2004. The only bright spot is that Obama won Florida twice... but both times very narrowly (2.8% in 2008, and .88% in 2012). That narrow isn't success. It's a stay of execution.

Democrats need to stop treating Florida as a blue state that has these Republican exceptions. Florida is a Red State that can't be made Blue without a fundamentally different approach.
    If Florida is indeed a den of racism and rednecks that you say it is, Obama should have lost guaranteed. But hey. Weren't you the person claiming that Hillary dismissing states was stupid doing the very same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    If Florida is indeed a den of racism and rednecks that you say it is, Obama should have lost guaranteed. But hey. Weren't you the person claiming that Hillary dismissing states was stupid doing the very same thing?
    There is a basic literacy breakdown here.

I said Florida is a red state that somehow goes blue, not a den of racism and rednecks. Others said that. I've been saying Democrats have a lot harder time winning here than they act like, and it should be treated as a "reach goal" rather than a essential component. Democrats should TRY for Florida (and need to figure out how to win there), but when Presidents win as narrowly as Obama did, and Senators can't get elected, treating Florida as "home turf" is ridiculous. Florida is largely Republican territory Democrats can sometimes carry, not the other way around.

Democrats should not dismiss Florida at all. They have to do the exact opposite and figure out how to win there. But that being said, any map to the majority or Presidency that requires Florida needs to be changed, because Florida can't be counted on to be delivered.

Learn to read.

I said Florida is a red state that somehow goes blue, not a den of racism and rednecks. Others said that. I've been saying Democrats have a lot harder time winning here than they act like, and it should be treated as a "reach goal" rather than a essential component. Democrats should TRY for Florida (and need to figure out how to win there), but when Presidents win as narrowly as Obama did, and Senators can't get elected, treating Florida as "home turf" is ridiculous. Florida is largely Republican territory Democrats can sometimes carry, not the other way around.

Democrats should not dismiss Florida at all. They have to do the exact opposite and figure out how to win there. But that being said, any map to the majority or Presidency that requires Florida needs to be changed, because Florida can't be counted on to be delivered.

Learn to read.
    If you're going to go with the "I don't think that" route, maybe don't agree with Boda saying that.

Yep.

All of which has me wondering why Democrats keep treating this place like the land of opportunity. I'd call it a "reach goal", and that's being charitable.
    I think they do because it has some fairly large key liberal demographic areas like S FL and Orlando.

I view it like this:

- If both candidates are relative moderates it will probably go Repub. The old people always vote.
    - If there is side where the base is fired up, they will win. Obama before. Trump now. etc.

I also really believe had Georgia and Florida swapped their liberal governor candidates, they both would have won handily.

Learn to read.
    I've been to Florida too many times to think it's not a bastion of racism and rednecks. I think more than that, is the growing hatred of "libruls" as a whole. It's ironic, because it is a state filled with elderly people on Social Security and Medicare, who just voted for Rick Scott, a corrupt asshole who is a Medicare fraudster.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    So the moron in chief said that all the recounts are fraudulent and all tied to the russian dosier LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I've been to Florida too many times to think it's not a bastion of racism and rednecks. I think more than that, is the growing hatred of "libruls" as a whole. It's ironic, because it is a state filled with elderly people on Social Security and Medicare, who just voted for Rick Scott, a corrupt asshole who is a Medicare fraudster.
    Florida rednecks don't vote unless they are fired up...Trump has them fired up.