Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb Can we make race choice cosmetic only?

Curious why this hasn't been done... are racials really that exciting that they're worth screwing faction balance? All it takes is papa Method telling the community Horde racials are best then a sizeable chunk of the playerbase xfers.

Why is this a thing? Why are racials still in this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    Curious why this hasn't been done... are racials really that exciting that they're worth screwing faction balance? All it takes is papa Method telling the community Horde racials are best then a sizeable chunk of the playerbase xfers.

If they remove racials then they remove one reason people race change. Which means less money coming into Blizzard.

Because they add a small amount of additional flavor to the different races.

Why are you hating on the memory of Gary Gygax?

It's not a racials thing anymore, it's that out of the top 20 guilds only 3 are alliance, and that ratio continues on with lower ranks. It's more of a social thing now, players think that if they want to do good, they need to be horde. Otherwise they don't have any guilds to join etc.

Is just a snowball thing, more people raid in the horde in all levels of skill. Same thing happen to world PvP. Oceanic are the only servers were alliance is top because they managed to do it. At my level of raiding most people dont even use racials because is a "extra buttomm" to push.

10+ Year Old Account

Because making a game more homogenized would be bad?

I mean, if we remove more options, we'll soon have none left. And to be honest, doesn't matter if Horde racials are considered the best at the moment, still plenty playing Alliance as well. I'd rather sacrifice faction balance than we all have to be the same.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Make racials function like glyphs used to.
    “Prime” slot that affects throughput, “Major” slot for defensive benefit, “Minor” slot for convenience things.

Purely cosmetic things like Running Wild can continue to be race locked and not take a slot,
    For everything else, we should start with our racials but be able to unlock other racials abilities by getting exalted with the faction or unlocking the allied race, then let us swap it for a large gold cost.

Maybe add some other steps to unlock them so it’s not easy to collect them all, maybe work it into archaeology. This way, the race choice is still meaningful as a “shortcut” to getting your desired abilities but you aren’t locked forever,

Rework all existing racials (introduce new ones if needed) so that every race has one prime, one major, and one minor. Make them relatively balanced against each other but it’s fine if they aren’t perfect because players can choose.

Maybe make them the same across factions too (but they can be divided up differently among the races(
    Last edited by MasterDinadan; 2018-10-15 at 10:09 PM.

Because people like them, that's why they're still a thing.

/thread

I think that for an RPG to be an RPG, choices need to matter.

With that said, they should just do a better job at balancing the racials.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

People that think the imbalance is about racials are flat out delusional. The top PVE racials in the game right now are Gnomes and Lightforged Draenei anyways lol. But don't take my word for it, go look at the sim data on Bloodmallet for yourself.

Meanwhile, Method getting world firsts with an undead tank fyi. Much racial, so stronk.

P.s. Arcane Torrent was never a top PVE racial at any point in the game, it has only ever had a niche role in raids, and was changed 100% because of the unfair advantage it gave in M+ being useful on one fight ina raid doesn't make something OP.

It's not the racials y'all, it's the fact that Alliance players who do raid are far fewer than Horde and much more often bad at the game. Stop whining.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2018-10-15 at 10:24 PM.

Lets be honest, Blizzard is their own worst enemy here.

They nerf the bloodelf racial because AoE silence / interrupt is too strong and replace with it an AoE dispel.

Suddenly we have a boss that spawns multiple adds that die upon being dispelled and some packs in M+ that have multiple magic buffs on them that basically require a mass dispel or multiple single dispels.

Ignoring the fact that some racials are just really poorly balanced in general.
    Blizzard is lucky that most people don't like HM Tauren / Goblins visually, else pretty much anyone would roll these two, especially classes with low mobility.
    It's not the Dps that wins but the utility (altough 1% Haste is nice for a lot of classes and 1% Vers is a flat solid bonus), Rocket Jump and Bull Rush give some real flexibility in both PvP and PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Racials are important from an RPG-pov and should matter, the problem is Blizzard is too obsessed with balance and ruins what should be fun.

Though Blizzard isn't alone in this, the players are obsessed with that word aswel.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Imbalance do not come only from the racials, that's true, but it was the original sin. Now the Horde has a bigger player pool and people tend to roll there and it snowballed, have been said countless time.

May be the simplier way would be to nullifate racials in competitive content (ranked pvp, mm+ and raid). But it wouldn't fix the situation. I truly don't know what they could do to fix that and let's be honest, it's a problem, but for like 5% of the population at best, not sure if it's an emergency right now, there is lot worse problems in the game.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been on the "Fix Racials" train for years. Gimme a total revamp of the system or its removal, let's fix garbage like Every Man For Himself and Arcane Torrent.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I've been on the "Fix Racials" train for years. Gimme a total revamp of the system or its removal, let's fix garbage like Every Man For Himself and Arcane Torrent.
    But Arcane Torrent has been revamped semi recently, and my blood elf mage is rather sad about it.

https://www.wowhead.com/spell=28730/arcane-torrent

I think its fine the way it is personally, are some racials far more desirable than others?, yes. But i think the bulk majority of the player base outside of people who want progression, still choose a race based on cosmetics, and if the racials are good thats a bonus.

Deleted

should races in wow be only a cosmetic?

how would faction balance look like if racials didint exist and people choose races only based on their looks and what they feel comfortable with without min maxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dtruth View Post
    how would faction balance look like if racials didint exist and people choose races only based on their looks and what they feel comfortable with without min maxing
    Uhm... This is like, literally a topic already just worded differently.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-cosmetic-only

As for answering you too, no, we shouldn't. Piss off with homogenizing more of the game. It is a nice thing to have benefits depending on your choices.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Uhm... This is like, literally a topic already just worded differently.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-cosmetic-only

As for answering you too, no, we shouldn't. Piss off with homogenizing more of the game. It is a nice thing to have benefits depending on your choices.
    can you watch your language and the profanities, thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dtruth View Post
    can you watch your language and the profanities, thanks
    I think you're in the wrong forum mate.
    Here is something to believe in!