Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's pretty much unwatchable by anyone with testicles.
    No it was not that bad, but it did interfere with my enjoyment of the show, becuse the virtue signalling wasn't subtle at all. One thought Sabrina want to helpe all women, fine, but she do not lift a eyebrow then some women speak about how they like to torment boys for fun.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naked Snake View Post
    I loved that show when I was younger.
    The only good thing about this show was the bad made puppet cat

Whats good, its not a comedy. Whats bad oh my god, toxic feminism

Was quite entertaining, but I really wished they would have cut down on those SJW tropes.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    The only good thing about this show was the bad made puppet cat
    The appearances by WCW wrestlers because it was filmed on the same studio lot were cool too

I was looking forward to the show because horror, in general, is a pretty niche genre to begin with. It's a real shame that it ended up going the same way as American Horror Story in regards to playing up social justice tropes to the point where certain characters exist solely as a political/social identity and little else.

So, I'm seeing that the show has received "critical acclaim," yet I cannot see any reason why it would do so. Not only is it one of the most direct and blatant political shows that I've seen in recent memory, it also has a protagonist who doesn't really seem to know what she wants to be. It's like she's characterized by feminist ideas and nothing more. Boring as hell. Not to mention that the plot doesn't make much sense, but that could be the comic's fault.

I'm half way through so far. I'll keep watching because the show isn't THAT bad, maybe a 6-7 so far, but that's nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    So, I'm seeing that the show has received "critical acclaim," yet I cannot see any reason why it would do so. Not only is it one of the most direct and blatant political shows that I've seen in recent memory, it also has a protagonist who doesn't really seem to know what she wants to be. It's like she's characterized by feminist ideas and nothing more. Boring as hell. Not to mention that the plot doesn't make much sense, but that could be the comic's fault.

I'm half way through so far. I'll keep watching because the show isn't THAT bad, maybe a 6-7 so far, but that's nothing special.
    And now you can see where the 'critical acclaim' is coming from. The 'critical acclaim' is just blow by political and social justice people who want every show to be like this. SuperGirl, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, This new season of Arrow, all of today's teen angst young adult shows are BUBBLING OVER with political and social justice views.

I dont mind political and social justice being part of a show as part of the over all story, but when you create characters JUST to push that narrative, well... the show loses its credibility. I used to watch these shows to ESCAPE all the bullshit going on in the real world, and now they brought it into the shows I watch.

On the topic of the show, its not that bad, I like the dark tone of the show and the way it is going. But I am finding it hard to find a show where they are NOT trying to push a narrative for views. May just have to go back to reading novels.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    No it was not that bad, but it did interfere with my enjoyment of the show, becuse the virtue signalling wasn't subtle at all. One thought Sabrina want to helpe all women, fine, but she do not lift a eyebrow then some women speak about how they like to torment boys for fun.....
    She did raise an eyebrow. She was content with taking pictures. She was dismayed when the other three witches wanted to take it to an extreme. If anything I think scenes like that illustrate the wrongness on the other side of the feminism debate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bout half way through, and I'm definitely enjoying it.
    Not familiar with the comics so I cant comment on that.
    I watched a good bit of the melissa hart series back in the day but this is by far more interesting. Could have been a little darker, but I can understand what audience they're catering too.
    Kind of reminds me of Buffy; strong feminist overtones, some supernatural sprinkled in, a little cheesy at times, but overall entertaining nonetheless.

Does it still have a sassy talking cat? Because I am not living without my sassy talking cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
    Kind of reminds me of Buffy; strong feminist overtones, some supernatural sprinkled in, a little cheesy at times, but overall entertaining nonetheless.
    Buffy was this blatant in its overtones? Aside from the MC being strong I don't remember anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buffy was this blatant in its overtones? Aside from the MC being strong I don't remember anything else.
    At the time it wasn't as obvious cause the strong heroine wasn't as common as they are now but yeah the feminism thing was definitely what Whedon had in mind when he was writing it. Rewatching it now, and comparing it to more modern "sjw" media his intentions become much more apparent.
    The subversion of the damsel in distress trope was done throughout the show where the damsel was the one doing the rescuing. Willow's entire character development from her starting as a timid nerd always in Buffy's shadow, becoming a heroine in her own right.
    The first evil story arc is another good example. A group of potential slayers, all inexperienced young girls banding together to take down the greatest evil together. Which is similar thematically to the club of sabrina's mortal friends in the early episodes. Alone they cannot stand against the patriarchal school whether it be the bullies or the administration but unified they are able to accomplish their goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Was quite entertaining, but I really wished they would have cut down on those SJW tropes.
    I don't college kids and high school kids do and a believe a lot of that shit. It's unrealistic to not have it at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Does it still have a sassy talking cat? Because I am not living without my sassy talking cat.

Nah I wish but there is a swave as black guy and he's awesome.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

At the time it wasn't as obvious cause the strong heroine wasn't as common as they are now but yeah the feminism thing was definitely what Whedon had in mind when he was writing it. Rewatching it now, and comparing it to more modern "sjw" media his intentions become much more apparent.
    The subversion of the damsel in distress trope was done throughout the show where the damsel was the one doing the rescuing. Willow's entire character development from her starting as a timid nerd always in Buffy's shadow, becoming a heroine in her own right.
    The first evil story arc is another good example. A group of potential slayers, all inexperienced young girls banding together to take down the greatest evil together. Which is similar thematically to the club of sabrina's mortal friends in the early episodes. Alone they cannot stand against the patriarchal school whether it be the bullies or the administration but unified they are able to accomplish their goals.
    But all of those things are subtle applications of progressive ideas. Whedon was trying to tell a good story first. I mean, the man wrote and directed Avengers, which if it failed the entire MCU wouldn't exist.

Even though at their core Buffy and Sabrina are trying to reach the same goal, it really seems like Buffy knew what it was doing more. Meanwhile you have Sabrina being incredibly on the nose about relating to current events. Every single episode is packed to the brim with it. My suspension of disbelief is being beaten senseless.

Salem ain't talking, I ain't watching.
    Last edited by Musta; 2018-10-31 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    A friend of mine watched the first few episodes, and he says it's nothing but feminist/sjw agenda stuff. Like, not even tongue in cheek, just straight "we have to topple the white patriarchy" bullshit (which is, apparently, an actual sentence spoken by the token black character).
    My girlfriend was watching this the other day and I literally overheard some lines from a 'gender fluid' non binary person talking about intersectionality. Even she turned it off because the feminist/post-modern bullshit was too much for her.

Netflix has turned to shit anyway (see the 5 second rule for #metoo on netflix sets)

10+ Year Old Account
    But all of those things are subtle applications of progressive ideas. Whedon was trying to tell a good story first. I mean, the man wrote and directed Avengers, which if it failed the entire MCU wouldn't exist.

Even though at their core Buffy and Sabrina are trying to reach the same goal, it really seems like Buffy knew what it was doing more. Meanwhile you have Sabrina being incredibly on the nose about relating to current events. Every single episode is packed to the brim with it. My suspension of disbelief is being beaten senseless.
    I get what your saying. Buffy still had it it just doesn't bludgeon you with it. It's still there, but there's a bit more..idk substance?

10+ Year Old Account
    I get what your saying. Buffy still had it it just doesn't bludgeon you with it. It's still there, but there's a bit more..idk substance?
    I think the difference is, Buffy was a supernatural adventure show with feminist tones... this is a feminist show with supernatural adventure tones.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30