Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    As an aside, you just summarised every single thread about Antifa.
    At last, recognition! /zoidberg

Also the real fascism was the friends we made along the way.
    Link to image.

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me. I don't need you to love me, I love me. But I want you to know you could know me if you change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    You may well say they are within their rights to do so, but is this a good thing for freedom of speech? I don't see how it can be.
    I just want to know, is there anything wrong with lgbt people being denied services for being lgbt, since you want to talk about this situation not being "good for" freedom of speech?

So many uninformed plebeians on the left commenting on free speech when you have no clue what it actually is.

You lefties do know that someone disagreeing with you is not a micro aggression or act of violence, what you're feeling is frustration because of your lack of intelligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunttman View Post
    So many uninformed plebeians on the left commenting on free speech when you have no clue what it actually is.

You lefties do know that someone disagreeing with you is not a micro aggression or act of violence, what you're feeling is frustration because of your lack of intelligence.
    You do know that someone denying you a platform doesn't mean that your freedom of speech has been infringed upon, right?

Also why are you defending Nazis?
    Link to image.

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me. I don't need you to love me, I love me. But I want you to know you could know me if you change your mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitride View Post
    Internet access is now a utility
    In the US, at least, it is not a utility. Ajit Pai saw to that.

Is someone allowed to walk into your house and scream at your family? Or would you call the cops on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    There is nothing fascist about our current government. You make it all sound so scary though.

Obama had an agenda, affordable healthcare. He pushed it through.

Trump has his agenda, the Border Wall. He is pushing it through.

Both were/are acting within their abilities. You cannot list anything that is "actually" wrong or "fascist" that Trump has done while president.
    There is the small matter of children in cages.

"GAB deplatformed"

Good. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a giant pile of internally-contradictory word salad.

I do believe in basic human rights, yes.
    Yes, rights can only be protected through the action of a government strong enough to enforce that protection. That should go without saying, but I guess you're going to make me say it.
    Yes, in the absence of a state making laws otherwise, anarchy reigns until someone uses strength to enforce a sense of extralegal order.
    No, rights do not originate from the State. The State protects them, but that's not the same thing.
    Yes, your property and speech rights can be separated; they are not the same right. But, in this particular instance, both are respected and protected, so this was a meaningless item to bring up, since it's a hypothesis about a society that isn't the one being discussed, and which I wouldn't support, because go back to the top, I believe in basic human rights.
    Your key error is in assuming that you have a case where freedom of speech and freedom of association come into conflict. Just because I have the right to freedom of association, it doesn't mean that I can legitimately use that right to cancel out somebody's freedom to speak. To return to your analogy of Billy and Jake, the situation we are looking at is more like one in which Billy is the King of a town and Jake is running around town saying things that Billy doesn't like. King Billy then exiles Jake from the town over doing this, citing that he has the right to kick anyone off his property that he wants to.

Of course, the flaws in your argument are apparent when your reframe your analogy in this manner. King Billy has a much weaker claim to 'ownership' over the town, in much the same way that people running an internet platform have a much weaker claim to 'ownership' over a platform that they largely did not build and do not actually personally own. Furthermore, in this scenario it is easy for King Billy to completely avoid ever having to listen to Jake or engage in any form of association with him, in much the same way anyone on the internet can simply choose not to go to a site like Gab. It is obvious that King Billy is in the wrong because he is invoking a right for the sole purpose of denying another person his rights, in a word King Billy is making a completely disingenuous argument in order to cover for an act of Tyranny.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    There is the small matter of children in cages.
    And the lying, attacking the press, attacking political enemies, etc.

Who's talking about microaggression or using violence?

Sounds like you're projecting your own frustrations over your own lack of understanding of free speech. But there are a lot of helpful posts in this thread that can explain the matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by baconjesus View Post
    Are you suggesting private companies should be forced to give people platforms for expressing themselves?

What about the company themselves? They're comprised of people. They make the company, are suggesting they also should forego their freedom of speech? Why are they not allowed to express themselves and exercise their freedom of speech?
    Feel free to read this article on fiduciary duty:

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/article...ary-duty-cb.rl

Two important highlights:

The definition of fiduciary duty is as follows: “An obligation to act in the best interest of another party.”
    Duty of Loyalty: Your own interests must never come before the interests of the shareholders or the corporation as a whole
    Refusing service to paying customers is not in the corporations' interest. The corporation's goal is to make profit, not (hypocritically and selectively) peddle ideology.

Paypal for example is a publicly traded company with many different shareholders.

No, they cannot simply do what they want, that's just a lolbertarian lie. This is fraud and shareholders should all sue. Gab and Alex Jones provided quite a bit of revenue for Paypal.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Private companies they can do what ever they want, it won't even effect these companies because no one gives a shit about free speech anymore tbh especially the kids who are 18-25 who think they are the first ones to have some type of enlightenment about culture and life and its amplified because of the internet.

Not to worry tho once they hit 30 they will realise they were a bunch of mongoloids like everyone else is before they turn 30 and have a family and a real job this leftest trash will go away again.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Your key error is in assuming that you have a case where freedom of speech and freedom of association come into conflict. Just because I have the right to freedom of association, it doesn't mean that I can legitimately use that right to cancel out somebody's freedom to speak. To return to your analogy of Billy and Jake, the situation we are looking at is more like one in which Billy is the King of a town and Jake is running around town saying things that Billy doesn't like. King Billy then exiles Jake from the town over doing this, citing that he has the right to kick anyone off his property that he wants to.

Of course, the flaws in your argument are apparent when your reframe your analogy in this manner. King Billy has a much weaker claim to 'ownership' over the town, in much the same way that people running an internet platform have a much weaker claim to 'ownership' over a platform that they largely did not build and do not actually personally own. Furthermore, in this scenario it is easy for King Billy to completely avoid ever having to listen to Jake or engage in any form of association with him, in much the same way anyone on the internet can simply choose not to go to a site like Gab. It is obvious that King Billy is in the wrong because he is invoking a right for the sole purpose of denying another person his rights, in a word King Billy is making a completely disingenuous argument in order to cover for an act of Tyranny.
    Currently waiting for the app store / social media to exile Nazis / Neo Nazis from the US.

How long do you think this would take?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Feel free to read this article on fiduciary duty:

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/article...ary-duty-cb.rl

Two important highlights:

Refusing service to paying customers is not in the corporations' interest. The corporation's goal is to make profit, not (hypocritically and selectively) peddle ideology.

Paypal for example is a publicly traded company with many different shareholders.

No, they cannot simply do what they want, that's just a lolbertarian lie. This is fraud and shareholders should all sue.
    They absolutely can, when doing business with some people will cause others not to do business.

Example: a screaming manic can be removed from McDonald’s even if he pays, because the maniac will chase more customers away.

Doing business with virulent anti-semites will drive others way, thus it is bad business.

But youre someone who believes democrats are out to kill everyone through stds, so you have no reality on which to base any of your opinions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltar View Post
    Private companies they can do what ever they want, it won't even effect these companies because no one gives a shit about free speech anymore tbh especially the kids who are 18-25 who think they are the first ones to have some type of enlightenment about culture and life and its amplified because of the internet.

Not to worry tho once they hit 30 they will realise they were a bunch of mongoloids like everyone else is before they turn 30 and have a family and a real job this leftest trash will go away again.
    No, they cannot "do whatever they want", certainly not when there are multiple shareholders and you have a duty to act in their interest.

You can do whatever you want when you delist from the stock market and you're the only shareholder left.

Nice of you to openly admit you have not actually read the thread and therefore have no idea what is it about. Then again, it is easier to insult people from ignorance. And so brave of you, too, to do it from a burner account.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    No, they cannot "do whatever they want", certainly not when there are multiple shareholders and you have a duty to act in their interest.

You can do whatever you want when you delist from the stock market and you're the only shareholder left.
    It would be very hard to prove in court that removing a troublesome user from their service was purposely detrimental to their financial interests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i'm gonna love it when your policies lead to a real fascist taking over your country, because you weakened the protections against it.

i'm gonna love watching all y'all screaming and crying against the monster you enabled as you're dragged off to the prison camp.
    Don't be a drama queen. You're not going to love anything. The mentality of the people on gab and their "Free speech" is much closer to fascism than the people trying to find an answer to all of the hate on the rise. Free speech means you can't be criminally prosecuted for your speech. Nobody is going to jail for their speech. Free speech doesn't protect you from the repercussion of your speech. Nobody has to give you a platform for it.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Seems like an awfully large number of throwaway accounts in this thread. Hm. How interesting.
    The most recurring thread outside of charting every single Rape in Sweden, is the local alt-right contingent using free speech and "political correctness" whines as a way of trying to get away with saying racist shit to get their jollies off.

Apparently it's really important for the deporables to use the N-word and such.