Poll: How long should you date before getting married?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thieves cant View Post
    having sex early ruins the marriage. do not have sex while you date. in fact just consider not marrying anyone because society can't handle the idea of marriage anymore. do not consider marrying someone unless you know them and they are worthy of your trust.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your entire life.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is no need to buy a cow because you like to have a glass of milk.
    Might be different if you intend to reproduce.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    What's stupid about waiting until marriage to have sex? A great many societal and personal ills would be prevented if people waited to have sex until they were committed to a person worthy of the privilege.

10+ Year Old Account
    Long enough to know (s)he's the right one.

Could be 3 months, could be 10 years.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Long enough to know (s)he's the right one.

Could be 3 months, could be 10 years.
    You've picked two extremes here. 3 months is more than a bit rushed for such an important decision. I'd say a year is appropriate. 10 years, what a waste of time. If you've not figured it out by a year, maybe two, maybe, then it's time to move on.

Life doesn't have one size fits all answers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    What's stupid about waiting until marriage to have sex? A great many societal and personal ills would be prevented if people waited to have sex until they were committed to a person worthy of the privilege.
    More people would also rush into marriage just do do those things, ending in more shit marriages.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Until you feel like it doesnt really make a difference anyways, because you already feel married.

I have seen a bunch of people marry, because they expected to level up their relationship with that. Usually that ends in disapointment.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    More people would also rush into marriage just do do those things, ending in more shit marriages.
    So is your claim is sexual promiscuity has caused a decrease in bad marriages? I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that one.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dated my first wife for 3 years, we were married for 2 years. I dated my 2nd wife for 1 week, we have been married for 14 years and still going. Time spent dating really has no bearing on how long your marriage will last imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Silversorrow View Post
    I dated my first wife for 3 years, we were married for 2 years. I dated my 2nd wife for 1 week, we have been married for 14 years and still going. Time spent dating really has no bearing on how long your marriage will last imo.
    Just curious, did you have a prior relationship with your second wife as a friend or coworker that allowed your relationship to progress as rapidly as it did?

5+ Year Old Account
    If dating includes sex, then never. If you have sex outside of marriage you go to hell.

7+ Year Old Account
    What's stupid about waiting until marriage to have sex?
    Everything. It's like buying shoes without trying them on.

A great many societal and personal ills would be prevented if people waited to have sex until they were committed to a person worthy of the privilege.
    Sex is not a "privilege". It's not some special or sacred thing. It's fun and feels great. That's the only reason one needs.

There is no right answer to this. everyone is different. my wife and i moved in together the same day we officially started dating, and married about a year and a half later, but mostly for financial reasons, neither of us had this huge desire to be married for married sake. Now we've been married for a year and a half and we are still very happy. things arent always perfect, but we are happier and more compatible than any other couple we know, and we expect to have a nice future together. cant ask for more than that.

- - - Updated - - -

any many, many more would be created.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Dont see how marriage is nessicary ever. Just move in together, get a dog, have kids. Noned to spend months of wages on an expensive wedding. Spend that on one or multiple vacations instead!
    But you can't have sex before you get married

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Live together at least a year I'd say. A year is a long time of working together, going through hard times, being bored, being angry, being sad and so on. You know each other well enough then. Obviously if you've known each other a long time before living together, that's good as well but not everyone is so fortunate in finding their partners.
    I agree with this. You'll learn enough about each other to determine whether or not marriage is a good idea when you've lived together for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've picked two extremes here. 3 months is more than a bit rushed for such an important decision. I'd say a year is appropriate. 10 years, what a waste of time. If you've not figured it out by a year, maybe two, maybe, then it's time to move on.
    My point wasn't really the numbers, but simply to say, you're ready when you're ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas View Post
    If dating includes sex, then never. If you have sex outside of marriage you go to hell.
    Honestly, hell sounds like a better time than heaven.
    Putin khuliyo

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Honestly, hell sounds like a better time than heaven.
    What are you talking about? This wasn't a description of hell, but what you have to do to get there.

In Jahannam the bodies of sinners get roasted in flames for eternity. That is what awaits people who follow the right path but sin. Disbelievers awaits a even direr punishment.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just curious, did you have a prior relationship with your second wife as a friend or coworker that allowed your relationship to progress as rapidly as it did?
    Nope, I live in Canada. I met her in Ukraine when I went there for 3 weeks.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd never recommend anything less than a year, but outside that, anytime!

When you know, you know.

But also acknowledge those inner voices with doubts. if something isn't working, really think it through. Minor things at a relationships start can turn into major things if you're always the one compromising.
    Here is something to believe in!