Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Build a Panel - World Creation in World of Warcraft

Immersive Sounds of Azeroth

Warcraft 3: Reforged was announced! Submit your questions now for the developer Q & A!

Build a Panel - World Creation in World of Warcraft
    • The team likes the designers to have the freedom to explore the space that they are creating.
    • Kul Tiras has been in Warcraft lore from the beginning so the team knew it would be a hearty sea-faring culture from Gilneas.
    • Boralus
      • Creating cities in WoW is one of the hardest things that the world builders have to do in WoW.
      • Early versions of cities have red lines for roads and green spaces for buildings.
      • The second phase of creating a city has early renderings of buildings so that the design team can figure out how the player navigates the space.
      • Scale is also a huge part of this phase.
      • Hamburg, Germany and cities in France were looked at for inspiration for Boralus.
      • Boralus had many iterations as time went on.
      • Safe roads were added over time (easy to navigate roads with no hostile mobs).
    • Underrot
      • Hulling out a road is the first step in creating a dungeon once you have the initial map.
      • Secondary textures and terrain detail come next.
      • Certain parts of the terrain lead you in the direction that you need to go.
      • Busy areas are often next to areas that are not busy to add contrast.
      • Underrot was supposed to be a zone originally, but it wasn't working out. Eventually they decided it worked better as a dungeon.
    • Arathi Basin Remastered
      • They are still using the engine from vanilla.
      • They wanted to keep the same feel of Arathi Basin, but just give it the face lift that it deserves.
      • View distance and opening the space was a big part of the remaster for Arathi Basin.
    • The team likes to add Easter eggs to zones when possible.
    • One Easter egg was a baby in a bird nest in a tree that the designer thought no one would find, but she checked Reddit and the players did!
    • Some art is purposeful to trick players into a certain direction, such as leaning trees or lighting.
    • Iteration is next. They want to make sure the zone is not monotonousness and feels right.
    • Sometimes they design and create a zone that they love, but when they start to navigate it they realize that they hate it.
    • A lot of times they design things that don't work in the moment, but will be saved for later expansions.
    • Suramar and the disguise mechanic was a little iffy when it was first pitched, but it worked out well.
    • Drustvar started off as a frozen wasteland inspired by "beyond the wall" in Game of Thrones.
      • Several months in the team decided it wasn't working and changed it to the creepy forest that it is today.
      • Originally there were only several witch camps on the outskirts, but eventually they incorporated more of that theme.
    • A Horde symbol was placed where Varian's tomb is during design as a joke, but was obviously removed before live.
    • Putting an oasis in the middle of Vol'dun was done to break up the monotony of the desert.
    • Small details are added as the final step.
    • Little props are time consuming, but they tell small stories that add to the environment.
    • Lighting can be used to highlight parts of the environment.
    • This expansion in particular emphasizes the teams working together to tell the story.
    • It is incredible being able to work on a game this long and learn from player feedback.
    • WoW doesn't feel like one game. It feels like each expansion is a way to tell a different story.
    • Amazing things are coming!

Last edited by Stoy; 2018-11-03 at 07:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This panel is already my favourite, I don't know the guys name who is presenting but he is a treat to watch, already the star of Blizzcon
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    This panel is already my favourite, I don't know the guys name who is presenting but he is a treat to watch, already the star of Blizzcon
    Darin DePaul, voice of Reinhardt, N'zoth among many other characters. He is hilarious!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoy View Post
    Darin DePaul, voice of Reinhardt, N'zoth among many other characters. He is hilarious!
    I didn't know thank you. Thats nice to hear.

Deleted
    I want him to do all the up coming BFA Q&A. Lets see how he and Ion work.

7+ Year Old Account
    love the build a panel format, hoping we see more of it next Blizzcon as it's cool to let the community choose a panel

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to think all Easter eggs in game are just WoW devs messing about and when they go live we players try and find serious meaning for them lol

10+ Year Old Account
    arathi "Remaster" ? glad that there's vanilla, it's heartbreaking to see how they replace zones with no options. they're talented but they literally don't give a fuck to what they create, everytime.

Darin DePaul so far is the Enthusiasm good old blizzard in one person, that the Developer today is not. He is a breath of fresh air!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzyfurious View Post
    Darin DePaul so far is the Enthusiasm good old blizzard in one person, that the Developer today is not. He is a breath of fresh air!

- - - Updated - - -

Darin Depaul is the good old blizzard heart and soul enthusiasm that the Developer today no longer has. He is a breath of fresh air!
    He needs to open next years Blizzcon and all further Blizzcons lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoy View Post
    [*]WoW doesn't feel like one game. It feels like each expansion is a way to tell a different story.
    Therein lies the problem. Each expansion completely invalidates the previous ones.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Drustvar is pretty amazing in the end.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    arathi "Remaster" ? glad that there's vanilla, it's heartbreaking to see how they replace zones with no options. they're talented but they literally don't give a fuck to what they create, everytime.
    They're just updating the old art and textures. And because Classic is a thing now they have all the reason in the world to improve old visuals.

wont lie - im so glad they are not changing anything

this will ensure complete failure of classic once modern players wil ltry it

im really happy

also 16 debuff limit ? lololololol this makes once again 3/4 of classes efectively usless - feel sorry for poor naive people who will roll anything but bis specs/classes
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2018-11-03 at 09:12 PM.

I rather enjoyed the design of Drustvar, but thought they overdid the witches. There were just too damn many of them. It would have been better to have a much smaller coven to keep some of the mystery and make it not feel like every single woman in the entire zone was a witch. After a while we were just carving through witches like murlocks.

hahaahah they are screwing all people from pirate servers who were using grouping addons .

wow this is gonna be even worse have fun spamming trade for 2 hours to form groups .

They should've kept the modern things, like lighting, group finder etc.

People are going to hate on this so much. hah.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    hahaahah they are screwing all people from pirate servers who were using grouping addons .

wow this is gonna be even worse have fun spamming trade for 2 hours to form groups .
    interesting. I don't have any addons on the server I play on and always get into a group relatively quickly as a rogue.

You're being overly dramatic. And clueless

Also the debuff limit is meaningless. So much drama for a Saturday

The one thing Blizzard always does exceptionally well.

Too bad they didn't apply their city-building formula to Dazar'alor. So terrible as a functional, engaging city. I bet it's going be great for the raid though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    They're just updating the old art and textures. And because Classic is a thing now they have all the reason in the world to improve old visuals.
    a lot of their "improvements" have inferior color scheme and depth, which is why it's a bit sad to see replacements with no options; they don't have all the reasons to improve visuals, if the visual are pretty in the first place