Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Inside Warcraft III: Reforged Panel Recap

World of Warcraft: Q & A Panel

Inside Warcraft III: Reforged Panel
    • Classic games was started to preserve these iconic Blizzard games.
    • It was a natural progression to move to Warcraft III after their work on Starcraft.
    • It was hard to keep the remaster under wraps because of the updates that were happening to the original game.
    • It is not unfair to say that the art of the original game does not hold up as well as the gameplay has. This is why the graphics are getting updated.
    • They originally went with a more cartoony look for the new graphics, but it seemed too much like a lot of other games.
    • The team looked to the Mists of Pandaria cinematic as a base for what orcs and humans should look like in Warcraft III: Reforged.
    • The same engine is being used for Warcraft III: Reforged as the original game with some minor tweaks.
    • The tools used to create the new art will also be available to the community with the world editor.
    • The community is what has primarily kept this game alive and the team wants to give back for that.
    • The team has learned a lot of lessons from other RTS games they have made and can use these lessons in Warcraft III: Reforged.
    • The team wants the locations you know from World of Warcraft to be better showcased and look more like they do in WoW for this remaster.
    • The team has been trying to roll out a lot of quality of life improvements for the current game to prepare for the remaster. This includes patching and lag issues.
    • The team wanted to get rid of limitations that no longer pose an issue in modern gaming.
    • Opening Port 6112 to play custom games will no longer be a thing!
    • Warcraft III: Reforged will be added to the Battle.net Launcher.
    • At the end of the day, this is an evolution of Warcraft III. The graphics that you see are actually being added on top of the existing engine.
    • World of Warcraft's engine is based off of Warcraft III. The team took the changes and lessons that WoW has had with its engine and incorporated it into Warcraft III: Reforged.
    • All of the animations and attack swings are from the original engine.
    • The team doesn't want to break apart the original community and so are trying to keep the game anchored to the original.
    • The team can add a lot more personality to the game with new infrastructure as long as the core gameplay stays the same.
    • The artists are slightly constrained by the old game's animations.
    • All of the maps created over the years on the original game need to be able to load up in Warcraft III: Reforged with the new art assets.
    • The team wanted to lift up the lesser used heroes to reach the power of ones like the Demon Hunter.
    • The team has communicated with competitive players all over to address the changes that have been made to the game.
    • The team wants to continue to communicate with the community to build the game in a way that pleases players.
    • They have taken modern gaming steps to get the game released faster.
    • They have partnered and hired people from the community to make sure the game stays true to the original.
    • The UI is decoupled to allow the map makers to customize the UI in a way that they could not in the past.
    • The team wants to have as many created maps to work with the new editor from day 1 of release.
    • If maps take advantage of bugs or are broken they will be addressed.
    • They will release the tools that they use and guides on how to use them.
    • The original graphics and audio will still be available and can be used on command if you desire.
    • The original SD models and textures will also look much better.
    • There will be functionality to merge your current account into Battle.net to keep your win records and achievements.
    • The team doesn't want to tell you how to play the game. This is your game!
    • The team wants to improve the join functionality. There is a possibility you will be able to que as a group of 2 and matched with 2 strangers for a 4 v 4.
    • The focus right now is getting the existing game right, but there is potential for new stories and campaigns in the future.
    • They moved Arthas's entrance to the Culling of Stratholme to the southern entrance to showcase the familiarity to the WoW dungeon version from Wrath of the Lich King.
    • The community needs to work together to teach new players about the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    The gnoll model looks better than actual WoW one....

holy damn that ghoul.

New models are great! The Abomination and Ghouls look awesome. Looking forward to seeing what the other undead units look like with updated textures - as well as the night elves and human heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Yeah.... A number of these look better than WOW versions.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. Definitely looking forward to this.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Arthas vs Illidan

My fucking god that its gonna be orgasmic

Opening Port 6112 to play custom games will no longer be a thing!

I completely forgot about this little nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Arthas vs Illidan

My fucking god that its gonna be orgasmic
    I'm wondering if they're going to change it like it was in the book or just remaster the original one.

I heard that they're changing a few things, like Stratholme being more WoW-alike etc.

Can't understand why they made Arthas look like a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Quite being sexist they are not changing Arthas.

Oh damn, new campaign would be awesome.

I am so looking forward to this! It's going to be a blast.

<- Warcraft 3 fanboi.

Wow.. Those models look amazing. I'm ready.

Now I only wish that they kept all the original voices from WC3. I vastly prefer Justin Gross over Patrick Seitz as the voice actor for Arthas. Other than that I'm really liking what I've seen so far, I might play around with the updated world editor like I did with the original and made some maps (mostly tower defenses and some Life of a Peasant maps).

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoy View Post
    [*]The team wants the locations you know from World of Warcraft to be better showcased and look more like they do in WoW for this remaster.
    That is okay, but I hope they will leave all the retcons and lore that was made up later out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Maybe because they were made 20 years ago.

Original voice actors for Warcraft III or they changing those too? The original Arthas VA was much better than Wrath's.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    ^This. But his neck is also way too long. It's like a giraffe with a Barbie head. The model just looks so....off.
    /Catchphrase!

Blizzcon otherwise sucked for me but man, this alone sold it for me. It almost makes up for the shit with Diablo.

This changes everything. I can't wait for this to become reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Solarnova View Post
    Original voice actors for Warcraft III or they changing those too? The original Arthas VA was much better than Wrath's.
    Voice acting seemed like new voice actors for the Culling of Stratholme thing. But they didn't seem bad. And hell, I might be wrong about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedfreak View Post
    Quite being sexist they are not changing Arthas.
    How's that sexist? He doesn't look like any portrayal of Arthas ever. He also looks like a longhaired blonde lady. He's Jaina sans lipstick.