Poll: Was the teacher justified?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    I worked in education for a few years back in the day. I also worked in field geology (geological services for mining and construction companies) in the fucking arctic, in the Middle East and in the Caucasus. By far the hardest job I have ever had was that of a teacher.

People simply cannot grasp how soul crushing, exhausting and demanding that job is. Educators don't just have to put up with one crazy kid on his craziest day, but hundreds in any given day, 30 or 40 of them at a time. All this while being nearly completely neutered as figures of authority, buried in bureaucracy and fucking insane parents who are total failures as parents but are more than eager to blame all that failure entirely on the teachers.

I'm not saying we should return to beating kids in school...but fuck me, teaching is borderline impossible at this point.

The brief time I spent as a teacher was a remarkably low point in my life, it took a massive psychological and physical toll on me. If I had to chose between a classroom or being out in Svalbard in the arctic again doing hard physical work, I'd chose the arctic in the blink of an eye.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Kids don't magically learn that violence isn't the answer if they are never confronted with the repercussions of violence. Attack someone, get hit back. Obviously minor infractions don't deserve a belt-whipping or anything, but this is a valuable lesson that is being lost to time.
    I'm highly skeptical of most of Jordan Peterson's work and ideas (the parts unrelated to neurology and psychiatry) but I do agree with his assessment on the importance of rough and tumble play and competitive sports for children (especially male children).

Rough and tumble play first with parents and later peers socializes children into understanding that physical outbursts and expressions of emotion (violence) can and do in fact have consequences.

I think there's a lot we are doing wrong by eliminating that. And by that I'm not referring to fighting, bullying, full contact sports, but rather other forms of physical and competitive play. (The best analogy is how pups or kittens play fight with each other or much bigger animals.)

A teacher attacking a student isn't justified regardless of how much of a little prick the student in question is. Though I can sympathise with the teacher I just can't condone a teacher attacking a student. That being said I feel bad for how fucked up this kid is, he doesn't have much of a chance at a good life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InsightTimer View Post
    That punk deserved to get knocked out cold. The teacher showed more than a reasonable amount of restraint. The only disappointing aspect of the video is that the student wasn't lying on the floor unconscious at the end!
    if you watch the video in slow motion, the immediate point after the teacher first strikes him. The kids facial expression changes, not to anger but surprise. That's the point where his brain, probably for the first time in his life switched on and told him "oh shit he actually did it".

Sad thing about it is, this guy. The teacher will undoubtedly lose his job, even if criminal charges aren't bought before a court. The teaching board or teaching governing body will strike him off and he wont be able to teach anymore. It'll mess up his pension and all sorts. He's 64 years old and no doubt been a teaching for many of those years so the odds are hes a good teacher. Driven too it, he snapped and hit a douchebag who happened to be a student so....

as for the little shit who provoked him, he was already on a path of self destruction I'm guessing, probably should have been removed from the school long ago. No one cares about him and nor should they because he doesn't care about himself cos you know "he all gansta and shiiiaattt"

the little prick that got a "sucker-bitch-punch" in on the teacher at the very end was lucky no one identified him because you see as the teacher is asking "who hit me" he knows now the game is up, hitting another little punk wont make much difference.

Damn that kid is a piece of shit... But the teacher is obviously to be high to a higher standard than the kid antagonising him and as such I think he's clearly in the wrong. More than that, he absolutely lost control in the fight.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Which authoritarian shithole do you live in?
    long island, ny

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I worked in education for a few years back in the day. I also worked in field geology (geological services for mining and construction companies) in the fucking arctic, in the Middle East and in the Caucasus. By far the hardest job I have ever had was that of a teacher.

People simply cannot grasp how soul crushing, exhausting and demanding that job is. Educators don't just have to put up with one crazy kid on his craziest day, but hundreds in any given day, 30 or 40 of them at a time. All this while being nearly completely neutered as figures of authority, buried in bureaucracy and fucking insane parents who are total failures as parents but are more than eager to blame all that failure entirely on the teachers.

I'm not saying we should return to beating kids in school...but fuck me, teaching is borderline impossible at this point.

The brief time I spent as a teacher was a remarkably low point in my life, it took a massive psychological and physical toll on me. If I had to chose between a classroom or being out in Svalbard in the arctic again doing hard physical work, I'd chose the arctic in the blink of an eye.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm highly skeptical of most of Jordan Peterson's work and ideas (the parts unrelated to neurology and psychiatry) but I do agree with his assessment on the importance of rough and tumble play and competitive sports for children (especially male children).

Rough and tumble play first with parents and later peers socializes children into understanding that physical outbursts and expressions of emotion (violence) can and do in fact have consequences.

I think there's a lot we are doing wrong by eliminating that. And by that I'm not referring to fighting, bullying, full contact sports, but rather other forms of physical and competitive play. (The best analogy is how pups or kittens play fight with each other or much bigger animals.)
    Yes.

I don't have more to add than that I agree with you.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Deleted
    If the teacher wants to murder a child he should do it after class, not under a class with children watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post

He should have waited for security or the police. I mean, unless you think beating the shit out of the kid was protocol, how can you argue he didn't fail? The teen never even approached him after he walked away. He got back in the kid's face.

And yeah, being attacked and unable to easily flee is what justified the use of self-defense. Are you this ignorant? You can't just beat the shit out of someone in case he decides to beat the shit out of you. That's not how it works.
    I think defending yourself in a situation where someone clearly intends on assaulting you is perfectly fine, the teen made it very clear and waiting and not doing anything could've lead to a much worse situation. As for getting back in the kid's face, that's what happens when you provoke someone to fight you they get upset and lose control of rational decision making - that is instigated by the teen.

That being said last time I checked $140k has been raised for this guy thus far so it looks like a lot of positive things are coming out of this. The reality is that teens know they can pull stunts like this and receive nothing but weak punishment normally, hopefully this is the first step in correcting this type of thing.

And this day the kids learned to wear their uniforms and shut the fuck up. I only see a positive conclusion. I bet the little shitter got away with a black eye and some minor bruises, they both don't know how to fight it's not like we're looking at a UFC fighter splitting a defenseless toddler in half.

We're also not looking at a teacher going on a rampage, we're looking at a little shit who looked for it and provoked.

He stood there and talked shit for two minutes, when was he going to assault him? It was never "clear". What could have been the worse situation?

It doesn't matter if he was provoked. If I sat there and called you a billion names, you still have no legal right to attack me.
    The student behaved as if he was going to attack him at any second. Come on man you weren't born yesterday, why pretend like "oh the student meant no harm" here? It was nothing but extremely aggressive gestures mixed in with some racism. The teacher merely offset the students constant threats of violence by attacking first here. And the worse situation for the teacher would've been getting assaulted and bodily injury.

And considering the community response to this case, I think it's more than possible that people would assume based off of the student's threats that the teacher was within his rights to defend himself. I guess we'll see when this goes to court.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I could post the news story but I'll give you the raw video

Breakdown

• Teacher and student get into a confrontation about the students attire
    • The student disagrees with the teacher and expresses his opinion
    • Teacher ignores the kid
    • Student refuses to be ignored throws basketball at the teacher, 'on his momma'
    • Teacher begins the days lesson plan: What dem hands do 101

I don't condone a teacher put their hands on students but in a time where students have issue with bringing violence into the classroom you ask yourself how much is a teacher supposed to tolerate?

Some would say a teacher should be armed. That would mean the teacher should have a degree of corporal authority over his or her classroom. In such a system would the teacher be in the wrong after the student repeatedly challenged them with violence?

News article

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018...tting-student/
    Not for shooting students who throw a basketball at them. :P

This is clearly a student/ parent issue. Teachers should never hit a student, ( unless they are cornered and/or having the shit being beat out of them by the student ) but report them to the principle, who in turn should talk to the parents.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-11-08 at 11:25 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

When did I say he meant ho harm? You're just making up bullshit strawman arguments again and again. That's also not how self-defense works. You can't preemptively attack someone because they might attack you. Did you not see him beat the shit out of the kid? The kid wasn't capable of doing any bodily harm to him.

He was not within his rights to defend himself. I look forward to coming back after his court date when he's either in prison on a long duration of probation and never being allowed near kids again.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're provoked that easily by a 14 YEAR OLD, then you have issues. He literally went on a rampage and kept going at him after the student tried to flee.
    Your quote in the previous post was "He stood there and talked shit for two minutes, when was he going to assault him?" aside from the fact that he threw a basketball from him, you say "when was he going to assault him?" as if the teacher should've realized that the kid meant no harm or anything which is silly.

You can attack someone if they threaten to cause you harm, it happens all of the time. In many cases it goes to court, much like this probably will.

What makes you think the teen wasn't capable of harming him? Did you not see the other video where he was assaulted by students before? Like this is exactly what's wrong with you. You jump to this weird conclusion where you think the student can't hurt him based on nothing lol.

We'll see what happens, I'm hoping the teacher's union is strong in that area and that they can help him out. Plenty of students have come to his defense and understand exactly what happened there.

In sweden, you get fired if a student hits you. Well my former friend was allowed to go back to work after 6 months but said no thanks. (I dont trust him anymore, maybe he broke that kids thumb).