Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

How did classes rank this era in PvP?

I just assume rogues are at the top and then warriors? But after that how do the classes/specs stack up?

NOT TALKING ABOUT 1V1 OR DUELS

Talking about large scale battles like BGs or larger World PvP stuff like Southshore, Tarren Mill, Crossroads, Goldshire raids
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2018-10-28 at 07:10 PM.

Gear plays a massive part in this so it's hard to classify as with pre raid gear, BWL gear and AQ40+ gear the rankings all change (assuming 1v1)

As a rogue the only things i was scared of were super geared warriors or good hunters.

Do you mean duels or BGs

In BGs I'd argue druids and warriors are the best class, with a shoutout to holy Paladins.

In duels yeah its rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

We had a BG group every member of which eventually became High Warlord. We had mostly this classes:
    Warriors
    Shamans (mostly pvp healers and one Sulfuras guy)
    Mages (Double trinket pyro bombs)
    Druids (feral flag carriers)
    Hunters and Rogues (harrasers)

Changes over and over again and depends on a multitude of factors.
    1v1? 2v2? 1vX? 2vX? World? BG? etc.
    Full Naxx BiS Warrior with Pala Support is pretty much the closest you can get to a slaughter machine.
    Hunter, Druid, Mages, Warlocks, Rogues, Warrior are all perfectly viable in PvP. Shaman can do some funny shenanigan stuff as well.
    Pala, no Idea I only know them as supports. (Can't rate ret etc.)
    It really comes down to your ability as a player and how good your opponents are.

For ranking it's really difficult because depending on gear and content progress (raid tier etc.) it changes multiple times.

Idk, but this video always seems relevant:

Depends on the environment. In solo WPvP/Duel situations Rogues, Hunters, Shadow Priests, Ferals, Elemental Shamans and Mages were strong. Depending on the situation you could make it work with other classes/specs (i.e. I can duel most people as an UD Disc Priest, but they can disengage me easily if I dont have all of my engineering stuff up).

In WSG Resto Druids (that's a different spec from a PvE Resto btw) are invaluable as flag carriers. On Horde you typically run following setup: hunter+warlock/hunter+mage/hunter+rogue/warlock+rogue on defense, 2 Disc Priests+2 Elemental Shamans+1 MS Warrior+Mage in middle, Mage+Druid FC for flag carrying. On Alliance you run the same combo on defense plus 2 Holy Paladins+1 Disc Priest+2 Warriors in middle with the Warlock usually going middle aswell. Some run without a Disc Priest for a third Warrior.

In AB both factions run their typical offensive package (2-3 Warriors+4 Healers) sprinckled with Mages for bridge defense and node anchors (Ferals, Rogues, Warlocks, Hunters, Mages). There is also a popular strat of going heavy on Hunters while dropping some Warriors and Healers.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I think rogues were incredibly powerful in 1v1 and didn't really have a whole lot of competition in that regard, warriors were a counter but even they could be disarmed and unable to use overpower, which is what will kill you as a rogue.

I just remember the rotation being overpowered as hell, cheap shot, BS/BS, gouge, BS, blind, restealth, cheap shot, BS/BS, gouge, vanish, cheap shot, bs/bs gouge, it was totally possible to stun lock ppl until they died. and the cooldowns holy fuck.

i didn't pvp with my priest much at all, i got bored of being dunked by teams of rogues so i just levelled one myself and did the same thing, played the overpowered class because why not. there was also the racial perception which was helpful but not that much. well it was helpful being human, it gave you the upper hand vs horde rogues.

as a side note we (me and the bro) did have a warlord enhancement shaman with the unstoppable force even had the hand of justice. that was funny to play, the one shotting was freaking hilarious, i'm tempted to play classic for the bullshit windfury alone. pretty sure in classic windfury could proc off itself so it was totally possible to just instantly melt anyone with one or two auto attacks. I think there was a crazy enhancement twink you could make with the flurry axe. dual wielding them as enhancement, probably one of the most over powered twinks.

there wasn't any haste in classic, not any noticeable amount i think there may have been a glove enchant that gave like 1% haste or something like that. so casters are kinda screwed in classic stuck with mostly full length casts. i don't think this even changed that much in tbc. i think if you wanna do well in pvp rogues just have the best cooldowns catered directly for being amazing in pvp. while everyone else pretty much has shitty cooldowns.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2018-10-26 at 03:45 AM.

Deleted
    Warlocks are pretty much the best 1v1 class. If they're soul-link with a voidwalker, they take only 60% of normal damage (due to SL buff and the VW buff in master demonology talent), and they also have sacrifice (2k shield, can be dispelled though), as well as fel commutation which allows them to immediately re-summon their pet, so if they're against someone who cannot dispell/purge, then they can pretty much get 10k hp if you include their sacrifice shield, and add that in with a major healing pot and a healthstone, and they have another 3k, so 13k HP against most classes.

Frost mages are also pretty good, however a lot of shitty players use their gap-closer before the mage has used blink and end up dying and screaming nonchalantly about how they're over-powered and broken, when in reality they have flaws, unlike the warlock class (imo), only thing that is a bit outrageous is that with cold snap and ice-block, they can effectively have a close to 20 second immunity which is excellent in certain situations.

Warriors are very RNG dependant and usually require you to have a major healing pot and a whipper on you at all times unless you want to feel naked due to how prone they are to getting kited. Although usually if they get the first charge in against anything that isn't a warlock and have a PVP trinket up, they can kill most things including frost-mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    druid were famously bad, they were butt of many jokes
    however since it was bgs and not arenas, even druids had their use in carry flag and dashing etc
    since they talk about patch 1.12, the infamous OP rogue was actually nerfed down by that time, so top class is either warrior or hunter in bgs, not sure which (since bgs rarely end 1v1, i'd say warrior has upper hand with stronger defensive than hunter feign death)
    this isn't 2005 anymore, if u feign death ppl can still attack u (yes that was common in old times, prior to see debuffs on enemies, if a hunter feign death, ppl think he did die and ignore him)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by motive View Post
    Warlocks are pretty much the best 1v1 class. If they're soul-link with a voidwalker, they take only 60% of normal damage (due to SL buff and the VW buff in master demonology talent), and they also have sacrifice (2k shield, can be dispelled though), as well as fel commutation which allows them to immediately re-summon their pet, so if they're against someone who cannot dispell/purge, then they can pretty much get 10k hp if you include their sacrifice shield, and add that in with a major healing pot and a healthstone, and they have another 3k, so 13k HP against most classes.
    not true, for start an undead warrior/rogue will stick to u with no defense against them, ur sacrifice is a shield on cloth user that get eaten very fast by physical dmg, and ur 'instant' summon isn't instant and can be interrupted easily in the old days since u talk about demonology and they didn't have talents that reduce chance of interrupt
    warlock was far stronger on horde side than alliance side, but u can't count that as general
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    Most stressfree pvp up to rank14 with hunter,warlock and shadowpriest. Warrior may be most played but 99% of those warriors are total crap and reguires lots of support to stay alive. Same 99% goes with rogues too, most of them gangin <10% life players and think they are superior and part of winning in BGs. But basicly any class is superior if your skill is high enough, cap is huge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    druid were famously bad, they were butt of many jokes
    however since it was bgs and not arenas, even druids had their use in carry flag and dashing etc
    since they talk about patch 1.12, the infamous OP rogue was actually nerfed down by that time, so top class is either warrior or hunter in bgs, not sure which (since bgs rarely end 1v1, i'd say warrior has upper hand with stronger defensive than hunter feign death)
    this isn't 2005 anymore, if u feign death ppl can still attack u (yes that was common in old times, prior to see debuffs on enemies, if a hunter feign death, ppl think he did die and ignore him)

- - - Updated - - -

not true, for start an undead warrior/rogue will stick to u with no defense against them, ur sacrifice is a shield on cloth user that get eaten very fast by physical dmg, and ur 'instant' summon isn't instant and can be interrupted easily in the old days since u talk about demonology and they didn't have talents that reduce chance of interrupt
    warlock was far stronger on horde side than alliance side, but u can't count that as general
    LUL, do you even play vanilla bro? A lock with a key-press addon will fucking devestate a warrior regardless of race. What you do is: You open up on the warrior before he can charge you with shadow-burn, then you dot him as he runs towards you, if he is good he will save his intercept till you death-coil him, once he gets in melee range you death-coil him before he can hamstring, then you hardcast shadowbolt, then he should be dead, if not, shadowburn him once more, since it should be off CD at this point, if it resists, drain life since he will not be able to charge, and his intercept will be on CD.

Many high-level vanilla PvP'ers who spend 16 hours a day on vanilla private servers agree that warlock is single handedly the strongest pvp 1v1 class.

Also one thing I forgot to mention, death-coil is a 'true' fear, as a warrior berserker range or WotF will not break it, allowing 3 whole seconds (a shadowbolt hardcast) for the warlock to do as he wishes, including gaining distance whilst the dots tick.

ur fel commutation is like a second cast, almost instant.
    Last edited by mmoc7fd62822b2; 2018-10-26 at 08:00 AM.

Played warlock to rank 11 with about 100k kills in vanilla. Could pretty much go against anyone 1v1, hardest ones were hunters

LUL, do you even play vanilla bro? A lock with a key-press addon will fucking devestate a warrior regardless of race. What you do is: You open up on the warrior before he can charge you with shadow-burn, then you dot him as he runs towards you, if he is good he will save his intercept till you death-coil him, once he gets in melee range you death-coil him before he can hamstring, then you hardcast shadowbolt, then he should be dead, if not, shadowburn him once more, since it should be off CD at this point, if it resists, drain life since he will not be able to charge, and his intercept will be on CD.

Many high-level vanilla PvP'ers who spend 16 hours a day on vanilla private servers agree that warlock is single handedly the strongest pvp 1v1 class.

Also one thing I forgot to mention, death-coil is a 'true' fear, as a warrior berserker range or WotF will not break it, allowing 3 whole seconds (a shadowbolt hardcast) for the warlock to do as he wishes, including gaining distance whilst the dots tick.

So true. warlocks who prevented you from charging were impossible to deal with (at equal stuff).

And even if you could charge, your only hope was that he put his pet in follow. In that case, sweeping strike could allow you to beat him hard.

But well stuffed warlocks, with the pet nowhere nearby them, were a big NO-NO.

OT : yeah, you cannot go wrong if you pick a rogue, a mage, a warlock, a heal pal. Well stuffed shadowpriests, especially undeads one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Healasouhait View Post
    So true. warlocks who prevented you from charging were impossible to deal with (at equal stuff).

And even if you could charge, your only hope was that he put his pet in follow. In that case, sweeping strike could allow you to beat him hard.

But well stuffed warlocks, with the pet nowhere nearby them, were a big NO-NO.

OT : yeah, you cannot go wrong if you pick a rogue, a mage, a warlock, a heal pal. Well stuffed shadowpriests, especially undeads one.
    shadowmelt as a hunter was pretty useful to guard a flag in WSG in my experience.

It's called fel domination and yeah I agree with locks being super strong in open world (they're not the only ones though), could literally kill 2 rogues at the same time (3 if i used engi/LIP/FaP), once you get around T2 or HW gear people will avoid you like the plague.

But on that note I will tell you this, all classes are strong in open world pvp given that the player knows what to do/how to spec and has at least engineering as a prof ( it's super strong in vanilla), even if a class is stronger than you in a pure 1v1 scenario, you can use the terrain or situation to your advantage to turn things around so it is much more interesting than current BFA wpvp where you can't move or escape cause every class has a billion gap closers.

I would also like to add that scaling is truly noticeable in vanilla and the strength of classes in open world changes a lot depending on which timeline in the patch cycle you're playing on, at the very start of the game ( fresh launch) hunter is god while leveling and fresh 60 (before anyone gets geared).

Rogues are always strong due to the surprise advantage while ganking someone when they're not prepared.

Feral is an all terrain escape machine that can always walk away from a fight if they choose to and also happens to have the ability to gank like a rogue does.

Mage and shadow priests also happen to be super strong at the start of the vanilla cycle.

Thing like ele shamans, locks and warriors are very gear dependent and usually start weaker than others but end up scaling to insane levels with gear, hunters however start very strong but do not scale as well as other classes so they drop off around mid to late patch cycle.
    Last edited by wholol; 2018-10-26 at 09:02 AM.

BG wise, at 60 geared, Aff-locks (even thru nerfs) and SP were insane. both would disassemble any class including rogues

fire mages had a insane period but that was nerfed, be interesting to see what blizz does

paladins geared are killer, there was a reason why horde QQ'd hard on them. many of the guides back then basicly stated on how to deal with them...for alot of classes, basicly said you are not going to. with a seal on you, along with like ret aura, you are basicly killing yourself attacking a paladin and the paladin got some HP back from you attacking. a early form of leech like some classes have now.

there was a period where horde enh shams could go head to head with a paladin and many times win, allies QQd, blizz stepped up and showed their horde favoritism and nerfed enh shams . alliance did QQ on shams...frost shock and totem was aggravation

rogues are able to complete quests and get gear without having to kill all the mobs, so around 20-59 they usually outgear players of the same level. but at 60 when other classes catch up, things change.

warriors were back then like DKs are now, Blood is the killer #1 tank in BFA as was prot war in van wow, UHDK is like arms in van wow, and FDK is trash like fury was in van wow

NE shadowmeld was not a vanish as it is now, if you went into a WSG FR you could see the faint shadow of the NE. it will be also interesting what blizz does there.

if alot of OOPS occur by blizz and too many new things leak in to the classic wow redo from the modern game, it will be trash, especially if casters retain 40-45 yard ranges.
    Last edited by pinkz; 2018-10-26 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I just assume rogues are at the top and then warriors? But after that how do the classes/specs stack up?
    Best Vanilla PVP Specs:

1. Frost Mage
    2. Shadow Priest

Rogues had very limited mobility and were too squishy to make it at the top. Warriors are okay too with a pocket healer.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    There are so many factors coming together that you can't really say, like others have mentioned a superbly geared warrior murders face, but he requires enough of a gear advantage to one shot with mortal strike and auto crits if solo, or a personal healer. If you run about as a solo warrior your PvP experience will be one minute polys, with a few frost novas kidneys and cheap shots sprinkled in for flavour. Warriors range from far and beyond worst PvP class solo to obscenly strong with a personal healbot that can dispell magic (so priest or paladin, in other words)