Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you think Military Worship is unhealthy?

By military worship I mean the idolising and fawning over people who served in the military? I know it is big in the US, but curious what the world view is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's weird. Same goes for flag worship. Don't see anything like that over here.

Don't know about unhealthy, though. It might be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

It's extremely unhealthy in my opinion. It's fine to have some pride in your country's military, flag, or whatever. But Americans take it way too goddamn far. Sometimes you don't even need to actually serve in the military, just do basic training (or hell, just wear a fake uniform) and people (at least people in my area) will treat you like a fucking god.

It is weird, I never know what to say to someone when they find out I'm a veteran and they thank me for my service. "You're welcome"? "No, thank you"?

Then again, my father was a Vietnam vet and was spit on and called a baby killer. For years he never talked about his service and repressed it. That too is unhealthy. I'm sure there is a happy medium.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I think it is a little odd if someone is overly fanatical, but no more odd than people who are into things like celebrities, bands, sports teams, anime, video games, etc.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

I find it rather annoying that people feel the need to give veterans special praise or treatment. I really fucking hate it when veterans feel they are entitled to special praise or treatment. Since around 2003, veterans have become the newest welfare and whiny class in the United States. People don't owe veterans a thing, you did a job.. it's over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I find it rather annoying that people feel the need to give veterans special praise or treatment. I really fucking hate it when veterans feel they are entitled to special praise or treatment. Since around 2003, veterans have become the newest welfare and whiny class in the United States. People don't owe veterans a thing, you did a job.. it's over.
    I find it ridiculous that Americans call all former employees of the armed forces "veterans".
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

But it's so helpful in advancing Fascism.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I find it ridiculous that Americans call all former employees of the armed forces "veterans".
    Well, I find mandatory military conscription ridiculous. The term "veteran" doesn't work too well when everyone is required to be one.

I never thank them for their service cause that's awkward for everyone involved but they get a little +1 in my books. A lot of ppl I know in the military come from lower economic backgrounds and so I'm happy they chose a productive option. Good for them for going thru something that requires discipline and a little courage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worshiping anything is unhealthy, but yes military worship can certainly lead to a lot more damage to the world than other kinds.

Deleted
    It's only big in th US, nobody else gives a shit until there is a real war.

Nobody loves a warrior until the enemy is at the gate
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

atleast a military dictator fought for his country, unlike bone spurs trump.

If the choice was between ddictator trump and dictator john kelly, id choose john kelly. Obviously preserving the republic is optimal, but atleast the military in the US wont kill you based on long debunked race IQ coorelation they seen on infowars-id love a military coup

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Well, I find mandatory military conscription ridiculous. The term "veteran" doesn't work too well when everyone is required to be one.
    What does being a "veteran" have to do with conscription? Nothing.

A veteran is someone (a soldier) who has been in war - in combat zone more specifically.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    By military worship I mean the idolising and fawning over people who served in the military? I know it is big in the US, but curious what the world view is.
    Your bias is showing, Worship I mean come on, at least TRY to be objective.

What's wrong with this?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    What does being a "veteran" have to do with conscription? Nothing.

A veteran is someone (a soldier) who has been in war - in combat zone more specifically.
    The federal government says this:

"What is a Veteran? Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.” This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged. However, with regard to applicable benefits, other considerations are important and will be covered in later sections."

The dictionary says this:

"a person who has had long experience in a particular field.
    synonyms: old hand, past master, doyen, vet; More
    a person who has served in the military.
    "a veteran of two world wars""

"1a : a former member of the armed forces
    b : an old soldier of long service"

https://va.org/what-is-a-veteran-the-legal-definition/

So, conscription makes serving mandatory, so such a term doesn't really come up, as it does not really limit those in which it applies to. That's why conscription was brought up.

I was writing a comment explaining what it actually is but then I scrolled down and read what people said. So I deleted my comment because there's too many stupid people who would have been triggered by the truth and probably report me again as if it was my fault that they don't understand.

less so nowadays than ever. But not at all. easy for the people that arent in the military to sit back and criticize, completely ignorant to the fact that they get to do so, and enjoy 99% of what this country has, due to the aforementioned.

This is not even counting the people that lost their lives, and their loved ones, some of them several. There are few pursuits as honorable. Ill go to my grave with my biggest regret being having not served. By the time i realized thats what I wanted, it was all but too late. Wasnt in the cards for me

To those of you who are and do, kudos. Best decision you ever made.

whats unhealthy is entitled millenial punks.