Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

Laughing party-goers burn Grenfell Tower model in 'callous' bonfire night scenes

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8618661.html

Grenfell fire survivors have condemned as “callous and sickening” bonfire party-goers who burned a model of the tower with brown faces at the windows.

Video footage shows a group of white people lifting it onto a ready-made bonfire, and laughing as it goes up in flames.

The film, apparently shot for bonfire night in a back garden where there is a George cross flag in the background, shows cut-outs of faces at the windows. Brown paper had been used for most of them.

Mocking cries of “help me” and “stay in your flat” are heard as the flames take hold.

Other onlookers say: “Jump out the window” and “All the little ninjas getting it”.

One person is heard mentioning “really bad taste” but the group continues to laugh and joke while the fire rages.

A cheer goes up as the fully burning cardboard model finally collapses to the ground.

Campaign group Justice 4 Grenfell said the footage had caused "great alarm and distress".

We are disgusted and shocked at the inhumanity and callousness of those involved

Justice 4 Grenfell

"We are disgusted and shocked at the inhumanity and callousness of those involved in this video," the group said in a statement.

"This was an unnecessary sickening act of hate against those who, through no fault of their own, have experienced the worst since 14 June 2017.

"This is clearly a hate crime, and as a society we should never tolerate these types of blatant acts of hatred."

The video was initially widely shared on WhatsApp, then later other platforms, where users overwhelmingly condemned the scenes.

Justice 4 Grenfell highlighted that there have been calls recently for social-media platforms to block and instantly remove hateful content.

"We have an expectation that the police will look into this robustly and that the perpetrators will face the full force of the law."

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton said: “This is an appalling and disturbing video.

“To intentionally use and mock the Grenfell Tower fire in this way will cause deep pain and offence to the bereaved, survivors, the local community and all of the emergency services who will never forget that night. It cannot be justified on any level.”

Campaigners reported the group’s actions to police, saying it was incitement to racial violence.

Some people took photos before the model was manoeuvred into place.

Home Secretary Sajid Javid condemned the "disgusting, shameful" behaviour. "These people are a disgrace," he wrote on Twitter.

Denise Richards, a community development worker from Derby, who was among many people reporting the event to police, said: “When I received this video and watched it, I thought it was unreal. I felt sick. I was shocked.

“Someone has planned this – gone to the trouble of getting the cardboard and brown paper and designing it.

“They must be sick. It’s premeditated racism.

“The pain from the Grenfell tragedy will never ever leave those affected. Even people living nearby who witnessed the fire are still struggling.

“I’m so angry. There will be a demonstration if the police don’t take this seriously.”
    This is truly some disgusting racist shit, what the hell is wrong with those people?

I seem to notice a lot of effigies are mostly of white people, the second you set fire to one that is black? I mean, there was one of OBama if I recall, what happened?

"RACIST" where chanted...

Yeah, having a effigy of Glenfall? I'll admit is sick, given how recent it was, but to call it racism? What where there no white people in there to balance it out for you? had it been mostly white people, people would had been sick of a mockery of such a tragedy ( one that could had been prevented) but would people cried racism? Nope.
    Last edited by dunhildas; 2018-11-05 at 09:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post
    I seem to notice a lot of effigies are mostly of white people, the second you set fire to one that is black? I mean, there was one of OBama if I recall, what happened?

"RACIST" where chanted...

Yeah, having a effigy of Glenfall? I'll admit is sick, given how recent it was, but to call it racism? What where there no white people in there to balance it out for you? had it been mostly white people, people would had been sick of a mockery of such a tragedy ( one that could had been prevented) but would people cried racism? Nope.
    I think the fact they decided to just use 'brown people' is the crux

Burning the tower is pretty twisted, sticking brown faces does hint at an agenda

It's just backwards, probably drunk, people being racist.

Is it more than that?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's just backwards, probably drunk, people being racist.

Is it more than that?
    That model was built way before they got drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I think the fact they decided to just use 'brown people' is the crux

Burning the tower is pretty twisted, sticking brown faces does hint at an agenda
    Perhaps they were going for realism. Some people just don't appreciate art!

/s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's racist but far more so it's classist. It's more about burning the poor.
    Let's not make everything about race when the wealth divide is a far greater problem . . .
    Its both, but that does not make it any less racist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's racist but far more so it's classist. It's more about burning the poor.
    Let's not make everything about race when the wealth divide is a far greater problem . . .
    TBF the offenders were likely poor too

I strongly suspect there was alcohol involved.

Meh they included other races too in a seemingly correctly proportional amount

Poor taste sure, racist hardly

Wealth divide AND racism, what can possibly go wrong?!

The solution is simple. Don't charge them. Find out exactly who they are, let the world know exactly who they are, and boycott any company that employs them. Beat their shitty freedom of speech with freedom of speech of your own.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just not too familiar with this situation, but how is it racist? Was this apartment building home to predominantly one race? Were most or all of the people who died a certain race? Though tasteless indeed, I don't think the fact that they used brown colored paper bags indicates that they were trying to depict people of a certain race? I mean if you asked me to cut out a paper human right now, the first thing I think I could find would be a brown grocery bag from Safeway which is in my pantry.

I'm missing how this is at all race-related unless someone is trying to make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by rhackin View Post
    I'm just not too familiar with this situation, but how is it racist? Was this apartment building home to predominantly one race? Were most or all of the people who died a certain race? Though tasteless indeed, I don't think the fact that they used brown colored paper bags indicates that they were trying to depict people of a certain race? I mean if you asked me to cut out a paper human right now, the first thing I think I could find would be a brown grocery bag from Safeway which is in my pantry.

I'm missing how this is at all race-related unless someone is trying to make it so.
    Ask the people who were burning brown effigies.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Ask the people who were burning brown effigies.
    Is that an answer to my question, orrrrr...? Not sure what your response even means.

Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post
    Not sure if you're talking strictly over in America (do you even celebrate fireworks night, or Guy Fawkes over there?) but the fact the effigy was traditionally meant to represent a historical figure who, at least currently "hem hem", was white. . .

OT: Poor taste. But anything goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    OT: Poor taste. But anything goes.
    Anything goes with what? Because whatever it is, it does not make them any less scummy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like they wanted attention and they got it, well done news media

And yes they are nothing but attention seekers, and considering white people also died in the fire it maybe makes them a bit daft. Daft racist attention seekers.
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-11-06 at 01:41 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    It's in bad taste but this in no way should be a criminal offence. Trying to criminalise hate just makes the situation worse. They weren't literally burning real people.

Quote Originally Posted by rhackin View Post

Mix of mostly Afro-carribean and indo/pakistanis who lived in there.