Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How to pick a realm for Classic?

Most of us have been playing this game for years.
    I personally started this game a couple of months into vanilla. Choosing a realm was easy, I just went with what my friends were playing on, which was a medium/high-pop realm. Seemed fine.
    I'm pretty sure this is how most of us started out. You pick a realm, based on the population, and the people you play with. Most people want to play on a realm that alredy has a high population.

Very few of us actually started playing WoW the day vanilla was released. Imagine having to choose from 100 different realms. All of which are by then, completely empty. You have no idea what to pick, and you have no idea if your realm is gonna end up being dead in just a couple of hours or if it's gonna be a high-pop fantasy.

Now, I'm expecting WoW Classic to be an even bigger release than vanilla was. Millions of players are gonna be ready to play, from day one, and start out at just this; Completely empty realms.

So, how are you guys planning on picking a realm? How to not risk ending up on a dead realm? We can't be sure to get realm-transfers early on in the game, if ever even.

Even in the first 10-15 minutes of classic being launched there will be realms listed with "high".

Pick those realms.

Deleted
    Don't forget, server transfer might be available! or has there been any information regarding that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbywan View Post
    Don't forget, server transfer might be available! or has there been any information regarding that?
    Pretty sure they said there will be no micro transactions.

Don't care about PVP? Go PVE
    Care too much about PVP? Go PVP
    Care about the lore/story and want to immerse yourself? Go RP
    Care about the lore/story but also want to have some PVP? Go RP-PVP

For me, I'm going RP-PVP (assuming they have them which I think they will). I also think they will be the most balanced, most true to the Classic experience type of server. The PVP servers will attract all the people salivating at griefing lowbies in STV and the people who want their private server experience. The PVE servers will attract all the tryhards who think they will "have Naxx on farm" within weeks of its release. The RP servers will attract all the trolls who want to laugh at the people who care about the story and lore and all the degenerates (the ones that inhabit Moon Guard Goldshire). So I think the RP-PVP will have people who want to experience the game properly, without worrying about not being able to play for hours because some e-thug thinks "World PVP" means camping lowbies to try and get a group together to run them out, while also not worrying about e-peen tryhards, yet being able to experience all facets of the game with a hopefully friendlier community than you would find elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    Even in the first 10-15 minutes of classic being launched there will be realms listed with "high".

Pick those realms.
    Yeah, was thinking this. Maybe just wait a couple of minutes to let everyone else create a population and guide me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Don't care about PVP? Go PVE
    Care too much about PVP? Go PVP
    Care about the lore/story and want to immerse yourself? Go RP
    Care about the lore/story but also want to have some PVP? Go RP-PVP

For me, I'm going RP-PVP (assuming they have them which I think they will). I also think they will be the most balanced, most true to the Classic experience type of server. The PVP servers will attract all the people salivating at griefing lowbies in STV and the people who want their private server experience. The PVE servers will attract all the tryhards who think they will "have Naxx on farm" within weeks of its release. The RP servers will attract all the trolls who want to laugh at the people who care about the story and lore and all the degenerates (the ones that inhabit Moon Guard Goldshire). So I think the RP-PVP will have people who want to experience the game properly, without worrying about not being able to play for hours because some e-thug thinks "World PVP" means camping lowbies to try and get a group together to run them out, while also not worrying about e-peen tryhards, yet being able to experience all facets of the game with a hopefully friendlier community than you would find elsewhere.
    I know what type of realm I'd be playing, pvp ofcourse. Was thinking more of picking the right one among all of the different pvp realms, and not risk ending up on a dead realm.

Since the game is tied to the current wow subscription there will be an extreme influx of players at release so most realm will be highly populated.

You will need at least a few weeks to see what realms will be the most popular ones. Because that is when it will show how big amount of players that will stick with the game.

Pick a realm a WoW streamer will play on. Maybe, Asmon, Soda, Nixxiom, Esfand... I don't know who else likes vanilla. Guaranteed to be high lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ansto View Post
    So, how are you guys planning on picking a realm? How to not risk ending up on a dead realm? We can't be sure to get realm-transfers early on in the game, if ever even.
    They said they would eventually open up realm transfers. The when is the primary issue, it also depends on how many servers they have in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

For all we know there might only be 5 servers instead of the 100 we have right now. Would be hard to get a dead server if that was the case.

It's gotta be Skullcrusher (my first realm). The realm lists should be the names of the first realms that they had during launch.

added: I think it would be nice if they preemptively tried to balance servers from the beginning. Maybe once a certain amount of one faction was registered it would be capped from more of that faction joining until what ever faction that was behind caught up.
    Last edited by FLANOFETT; 2018-11-11 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    Pick a realm a WoW streamer will play on. Maybe, Asmon, Soda, Nixxiom, Esfand... I don't know who else likes vanilla. Guaranteed to be high lol
    And probably toxic

Server with the best MS, same as retail. 80ms sucks, 30ms is good.

I no longer know anyone who plays Wow today (I do. Barely).
    But I have 14 friends who will be returning and we decided on RPPVP horde. If one of those comes up. If there are several, alphabetically first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find out what realm the most irritating social media personalities are going to be on and pick another one.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

There is only one true classic experience. Getting tea-bagged by me in STV and considering I'll be playing on a real pvp server (not some pretender like rp-pvp servers) you only have one choice.

PvP server is the only place you'll like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogbunabali View Post
    Pretty sure they said there will be no micro transactions.
    1. They didn't say that
    2. This isn't a micro transaction

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    How many servers do you think you will have to choose from?

I cant believe there would actually be that many

Quote Originally Posted by Dasharin View Post
    How many servers do you think you will have to choose from?

I cant believe there would actually be that many
    Yeah I couldn't see more than a realm per (original) type being released. (PvP, PvE, RP)

This is why we just need to except sharding if needed, and mega server this shit. Because people will flock to the top pvp and pve server anyway