Poll: Do you like how the forces of the void are portrayed in WoW?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Should the Warcraft become more creepy?

It's not a secret,that part of the Warcraft lore is influenced by the Eldritch Horror - H.P. Lovecraft's books and the names of the old gods in WoW are a bit changed names of his characters - such as C'thun and Cthulhu.

The creatures and the events portrayed in his books are quite creepy - if you have played the Eldritch Horror board game,you know what I'm talking about. Despite the fact,that the whole void theme is heavily influenced by his works,the events and the creatures of the void in WoW look quite...cartoonish and the whole void theme in Warcrat doesn't seem creepy - at all.

So,what you think - do you like how the whole Twilight's Hammer/Old gods/Void theme is shown in the game or would you like it be more creepy?

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    It's not a secret,that part of the Warcraft lore is influenced by the Eldritch Horror - H.P. Lovecraft's books and the names of the old gods in WoW are a bit changed names of his characters - such as C'thun and Cthulhu.

The creatures and the events portrayed in his books are quite creepy - if you have played the Eldritch Horror board game,you know what I'm talking about. Despite the fact,that the whole void theme is heavily influenced by his works,the events and the creatures of the void in WoW look quite...cartoonish and the whole void theme in Warcrat doesn't seem creepy - at all.

So,what you think - do you like how the whole Twilight's Hammer/Old gods/Void theme is shown in the game or would you like it be more creepy?
    They fucked it up already with Void Elves, there is nothing that can change that.

"Controllable eldritch powers" fuck you Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    They fucked it up already with Void Elves, there is nothing that can change that.

Exactly... It’s far too late now.

Deleted
    I don't think Blizzard can do creepy if I'm honest, or at least I don't think WoW as a game is capable of such.

Whenever I watch one of those Halloween top 10 videos of creepy things, I always leave with a feeling of, ''wow is that it?''

I dunno bout WoW..but i've met some very creepy players...

5+ Year Old Account
    With 3 of the 4 Old Gods dead N'zoth is the only hope we have for creepiness, and we already kinda know what he looks like from the Azshara Warbringers and Hearthstone so Blizz ruined that as well.

Unless we resort to exploring what happened at Bael Modan...

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post

Well,if not a fan of them,but then you should blame the whole shadow priests class fantasy,cause they also are drawing their power from void on the edge of madness.

Last time Blizzard managed to do creepy was Vanilla era Forsaken stuff. Then again, I guess it inspired curiosity and melancholy more than actual fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone I don't like
    Something I perceive as stupid or overly emotional.
    A quote that justifies my ideology, or attributes my opposition's position to ignorance or selfishness. - Some Nobody

A hallmark of Cthulhu horror is the inevitable death of the main character in the end. The detective is doomed and all he can really do is dive further and further into the madness. I don't think a power fantasy game like Warcraft can really deliver on that kind of horror. The second you give the player a reliable weapon and the ability to fight back the fear is mostly lost.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmech View Post
    Last time Blizzard managed to do creepy was Vanilla era Forsaken stuff. Then again, I guess it inspired curiosity and melancholy more than actual fear.
    Did you, like, missed Drustvar?

Deleted
    I think the Warcraft is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are the thread title and the poll question completely different?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Well,if not a fan of them,but then you should blame the whole shadow priests class fantasy,cause they also are drawing their power from void on the edge of madness.
    And keep in mind that many shadow priest players hated that change in class fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And keep in mind that many shadow priest players hated that change in class fantasy.
    True. If shadow priest before was somebody,who used the shadow magic,now the shadow priest is 1 step away from becoming a member of the Twilight Hammer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    A hallmark of Cthulhu horror is the inevitable death of the main character in the end. The detective is doomed and all he can really do is dive further and further into the madness. I don't think a power fantasy game like Warcraft can really deliver on that kind of horror. The second you give the player a reliable weapon and the ability to fight back the fear is mostly lost.
    It's not necessary to make a complete copy+paste of his work. Imagine the sense of desperation, if the different locations of Azeroth are being attacked by the otherwordly creatures, the cultists are doing everything in their power to bring the monster from the other world... They tried to do something similar in the Cataclysm pre-patch,but dragons and elementals are not creepy at all.

It's not creepy when we know who is behind it, a bimbo elf hunter mastering it with ease, and an ugly eyeball tree telling us all their plans.

WoW has it's moments where the story turns a bit darker than usual.
    Sadly enough these parts are very far apart from one-another.

Overall Blizzard just took some ideas from Lovecraftian horror without the horror.
    In the end it's a high fantasy game with cute stuff.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it should become more creepy but no eldritch horror. The old gods and pretty much anything derivative of lovecraft feels really out of place and shoehorned in.

What is it about the fans of lovecraft that makes them think their particular shitty tastes need to be reflected in every universe they're interested in?

Lovecraft's style of horror would have a really hard time to - if not never - work on WoW. Lovecraft stories aren't actually scary or creepy by themselves. They were creepy because they were intentionally vague (just look at how often, in story, the author(s) try to tell us about how unimaginable / indescribable the horrors were). They rely on the stories' atmospheres to make your mind to work it out on the idea of something greater, vastly alien to the point of virtually incomprehensible to us, and so great that we - the insignificant humans - are largely helpless against them.

That's why Lovecraft stories work best when the readers were relatively young: when we were still afraid of the unknown, like that human-shaped dark patch in the corner of our house, or the twisted face on that tree, maybe the footsteps in our house during the night, or the dark, stormy night when a storm visits us. The older and more accepting the readers are, the less scary they become. That's also why it wouldn't work well on a visual-heavy medium, especially in MMORPG genre. The more you give Lovecraftian horrors a shape, the more detailed you describe them, or even have the characters fight them and triumph (no, the players aren't going to be happy to keep losing just so we can feel creeped out by the threat), the less "scary" a Lovecraft story will become.

Personally, I think it'd be better for WoW to try to develop the Asian style of horrors (especially the Thailand and Japanese horrors) if they want it to be more scary / creepy.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-11-15 at 01:48 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dude.

We already know the face of five Old Gods, and their magic is color-coded (purple!). There is no mystery. If there is no mystery, it's not lovecraftian anymore. Where's the fear of the unknown? Nonexistent, since we killed two Old Gods and if N'zoth dares to put a tentacle on the surface, we'll murder it too.

And this is the Warcraft version of those horrors. They can't change it anymore. At least I liked the Twilight's Hammer, they were fun.

I just hope we don't meet the Void Lords. Never. Or if we do, that they look almost normal, instead of tentacled gigantic beings. What if a Void Lord was like a guy in a suit, and another one looked more like Dimensius or Pandemonius? That would be cool imo.

Having read many of his books, I don't really see where the "void" really played a part in his stories. Most involved the protagonist waking up to find he ate a bunch of people or seeing something scary and freaking out cause the brain couldn't handle it. If anything, the nightmare could'a been taken from H.P.'s dreamlands, but that's doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    Did you, like, missed Drustvar?
    I didn't, but it really didn't grab me the same way. I think it is because it is so flooded with mobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone I don't like
    Something I perceive as stupid or overly emotional.
    A quote that justifies my ideology, or attributes my opposition's position to ignorance or selfishness. - Some Nobody