Why aren't there more espionage games?

Why doesn't someone make a good espionage RPG?
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-the-recession

Are the game developers risk averse?
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2018-11-18 at 01:21 PM.

Why innovate and take the risk when you can just remaster & re-release? I mean I'm not a CEO but I'd do that too if I was one.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean I'm not a CEO but I'd do that too if I was one.
    Monkey-see, monkey-do, which explains the trend. These companies also put too many people on payroll. They need a lot of revenue because they value themselves so high for some strange reason (Bethesda).

Like 5 dudes created Mortal Kombat in a garage. Now you need entire studios and teams and multiple studios just to develop Fallout 76 for 2 years then release buggy, unplayable junk. The gaming industry is a joke to be honest.

Because it takes smart writing to do these properly. And obviously the whole games industry is risk adverse.. that is why half the major releases are sequells.. and of the remaining ones another half is the sequell to a sequell.

Even the ones that are established like the Deus Ex series do not guarantee success. HR was a nice revival of the franchise, but MD got mixed receptions and since then it has become quite silent around the franchise.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2018-11-18 at 05:56 PM.

May be the CEO want to take some kind of risk

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because anytime a company releases a "stealth" game these days, they always add the ability to just go all guns blazing if you so choose with little to no consequence.