Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    I mean, eventually i might try to dip a toe into MC, but thats not for awhile. I'm more interested in the questing/professions/5mans side of it. I intend to take it very slow, no rush.

I suppose if Classic shockadins and boomkin are that horrible, i could always level a warrior or mage and join that soon to be overloaded crowd.
    If you want to DPS, you can boomkin but you will be nothing more than a 5man maybe 20 man raider. Boomkins do not have the sustain to play beyond that as fights start lasting longer the 60-90 seconds then and you will run low on mana even with drinking mana pots and using demonic ruins on cooldown(you will also spend 3 times the time you play raiding farming demonic ruins). Shockadins were a meme and only really for PVP lols. They were not effective DPS at all. If you want to dps in any raiding environment you are limited to the top 3 dps classes mage, warrior and rogue or the 2 utility classes warlock and hunter.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Wasn't Shockadin not a thing until TBC?

Must be focusing on pvp, cause you won't be OOmkin in any raid.

Good luck gearing, no 5man or UBER will invite a oomkin over a mage or hunter. Good luck gearing in PVP, you'll never climb the ladder to a respectable enough rank to get gear as a oomkin. So good luck

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Wasn't Shockadin not a thing until TBC?
    It was arguably bigger in Vanilla. I literally made the Dernos build and went to town on people. But you shouldn't level as a Shockadin. Why? Cause it eats mana, and unless you like sitting and drinking all the time you're better off going Ret and using Seal of Command Rank 1. Judgements do crap damage anyway unless you have some decent gear, so never Judge and just use Rank 1 Seal of Command. You don't even need to be that deep down Holy to be an effective healer. As long as you pick up Illumination and Healing Light, you're basically a bad ass healer. The rest you can dump into Ret but you won't pick up Repentance which is a very useful PvP tool. But if you just wanna level fast and heal dungeons then put 21 into holy and 30 into ret. I'll link the build, which I used all the way until AQ40 which I had to spec full Holy cause progression gets serious in AQ40. One of the great things about Vanilla is that nobody can inspect you to see what spec you are. So if anyone asks, say yes you're holy.

Legacy-WoW.com/vanilla-talents/paladin-talents/?tal=55203100500000000000000000000052303512003150

hope you're ready to become hated if you try to take cloth mp5 pieces as a boomie

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post
    I think you have it all wrong you don't level as a spec in classic. You level as a class. You don't pick your specialization you can take a little of anything you want. The best performing specs were often mixed. 31 in ret was a popular healing choice because you pretty much got every healing talent in holy for 20 points and you gained the Kings buff. Holy Shock was considered a dps buff at Tier 2+ over Ret, because at that point your gear has both strength and intellect/spell power stats and Ret had no strike talent, so it gave you another attack while waiting for the Seal of Command lottery procs.

If you want to maximize your dps as a paladin, look for a 2H dps weapon with a damage proc, Seal of Command could proc off of Damage procs and Damage procs off Seal of Command resulting is some massive burst, I used that to 1 shot stuff, helped in a ton in the Grand Marshal grind. I think I ran 31 Holy and 20 ret and was a powerful 2H healer/dps.
    What he said. +1.

If you want to maximize your dps as a paladin, look for a 2H dps weapon with a damage proc, Seal of Command could proc off of Damage procs and Damage procs off Seal of Command resulting is some massive burst, I used that to 1 shot stuff, helped in a ton in the Grand Marshal grind. I think I ran 31 Holy and 20 ret and was a powerful 2H healer/dps.
    Just checked that out on the talent calculator. I like the look of it. I may give that try
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    From what I've gathered, pretty much all non-DPS specs took forever to level because things took just so long to die. Some DPS specs also took forever.

Of course, you could level as a good leveling spec and still do dungeons just fine. Like, a Shadow Priest could heal a normal leveling dungeon just fine, just needed a little more care. Warriors could also tank in every spec.
    If you were a wand user you were good though, like priests and locks, you could SWP/Corruption/CoA and wand things down quickly. If you were an enchanter you would also almost always have a BiS wand too!

Hi all. Looking forward to classic. I've think I've narrowed down what I want to play: a human Shockadin, and a Tauren Balance Druid. Both of them with Alch/Herb.

I've heard that shockadins could level and quest very easily because of heavy armor and heals, but they take a long time to kill things with basically just their auto-attack/holy shock/judgement. I also have read they were good single-target healers.

Most of the things I've read about Balance druids say they had a lot of mana problems.

Comments from anyone who played these in vanilla would be very much appreciated.
    Shockadin was an experiment in Classic, people tried to make it work. There are videos of people saying it works in PvP and what not, but they are extremely well geared players, almost any build they used would result in them getting PvP kills over not great players.

It's ok for leveling, but your TTK will be low, which brings some issues with it. Mainly low TTK usually results in more dying due to extra pulled mobs and respawns. it also makes some quests more difficult due to the aforementioned reasons. Sometimes you'll only have a short time period from killing a pat to it's respawn to get down a quest mob... situations like that.

If you run a dungeon, you will be healing. And when you hit 60 you'll have to reroll because there will be better healers and better damage dealers. Unless you just PvP, but without all the fun PvP gear you will struggle to kill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Priest levelling was fun, think you used to level using a wand for attacking as you had a talent for it that made it powerful
    I would not call it fun. It was consistent, but not fun.

Deleted
    I really never got to chance to really try Shockadins back in the day. I knew many people that really got the whole thing nailed down, but I really wanted to do it

Did it involve a lot strength and intellect building? I remember a lot of cloth paladins wandering around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    There is a reason why they were called oomkin back in the days....
    If you only spam Starfire and Moonfire you won't go oom, but if you switch stances all the time and try to heal/bear tank on some encounters, then mana can be an issue. You also have Innervate to fight your own mana problems (even if healer will complain why they don't get it off you).

The 3% group spell crit is nice, so you push your mage/warlock group dps up another level of damage.

I mostly found my problems with high threat, even with Blessing of Salvation. You don't have a wand, so you cannot dps a little and recover from high threat. And standing in the melee group, hitting the boss with your mighty staff, you will have the laughter on your side for sure.

The biggest advantage is, that with higher gear, you can fullfill the heal/dps or tank role in a dungeon, which is super nice with a main character. Need a tank for scholo? Call me in. Your guild needs replacement heal on Drakkisath? I'm your man.

In PvP it gets even better, your Starfires cast out of stealth, that can even stun, are very nice. And your travel form allows you to have perfect positioning, whereas Priests get stuck in a bad fighting position more often.

Deleted
    Hi all. Looking forward to classic. I've think I've narrowed down what I want to play: a human Shockadin, and a Tauren Balance Druid. Both of them with Alch/Herb.

I've heard that shockadins could level and quest very easily because of heavy armor and heals, but they take a long time to kill things with basically just their auto-attack/holy shock/judgement. I also have read they were good single-target healers.

Most of the things I've read about Balance druids say they had a lot of mana problems.

Comments from anyone who played these in vanilla would be very much appreciated.
    shockadin wasn't a thing till BC, infact i dont think holy shock was in the game till BC

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    shockadin wasn't a thing till BC, infact i dont think holy shock was in the game till BC
    Please atleast try to look things up before you post if you are unsure. Spreading missinformation is doing noone any good.

Holy shock was the last talent in the holy tree. And Shockadins was a thing with really geard bored ppl.

Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Eh, it were their end talent in the holy tree, at least per 1.12
    But IIRC it had a some-30 seconds CD making it... well... not so good. (especially compared to 15-ish second in tbc)

Shockadin didnt really become a solid concept before BC because spell damage gear and weapons became easier to obtain (gladiator equipment in particular) and items that used to be pure healing now gave an (adjusted) amount of spell damage as well (you would still strive for spell damage items though).
    followed by their skillset being tweaked in general allowing for the concept to work as a whole.

Having a spec based around a spell with a 30 second cooldown with average 370 base damage and only like 43% spell damage coefficient and only 150% spell critical damage does not sound like a good idea to me. Some people used it for fun with the aq40 trinket. You have now a WAY worse version of fire blast on a significant longer cooldown and another instant on a 3 minute cooldown but it's really not "competitive"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian Bob View Post
    But if you just wanna level fast and heal dungeons then put 21 into holy and 30 into ret.
    You don't need any points in Holy to effectively heal dungeons. You should be going full ret. (reckoning spec at 34 as well, but it is unknown if that will work in Classic)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by senn View Post
    Having a spec based around a spell with a 30 second cooldown with average 370 base damage and only like 43% spell damage coefficient and only 150% spell critical damage does not sound like a good idea to me. Some people used it for fun with the aq40 trinket. You have now a WAY worse version of fire blast on a significant longer cooldown and another instant on a 3 minute cooldown but it's really not "competitive"
    Yeah, "shockadin" in vanilla is essentially just a shittier version of PoM pyro mage. Yeah you can have a guaranteed Holy Shock crit every 2 minutes, but outside of that you are garbage.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2018-11-21 at 02:35 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think you have it all wrong you don't level as a spec in classic. You level as a class. You don't pick your specialization you can take a little of anything you want. The best performing specs were often mixed. 31 in ret was a popular healing choice because you pretty much got every healing talent in holy for 20 points and you gained the Kings buff. Holy Shock was considered a dps buff at Tier 2+ over Ret, because at that point your gear has both strength and intellect/spell power stats and Ret had no strike talent, so it gave you another attack while waiting for the Seal of Command lottery procs.

Yeah hybrid specs were great. I tanked 4HM with 31-5-15. Just clicked a macro to equip a sword and shield and swap stance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    Eh, it were their end talent in the holy tree, at least per 1.12
    But IIRC it had a some-30 seconds CD making it... well... not so good. (especially compared to 15-ish second in tbc)

Shockadin didnt really become a solid concept before BC because spell damage gear and weapons became easier to obtain (gladiator equipment in particular) and items that used to be pure healing now gave an (adjusted) amount of spell damage as well (you would still strive for spell damage items though).
    followed by their skillset being tweaked in general allowing for the concept to work as a whole.
    If I rember right avenging wrath was also integral to the whole thing. And I don't think that was around till bc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgh View Post
    Please atleast try to look things up before you post if you are unsure. Spreading missinformation is doing noone any good.

Holy shock was the last talent in the holy tree. And Shockadins was a thing with really geard bored ppl.
    If we're gonna get pissy about it, there was no spell power plate till AQ40 and there wasn't the 280% damage coefficient till 1.9 also there was no avenging wrath till bc.

Shockadins was not a thing Evean for the extreamly geared in vanilla, maybe for the retarded who wanted to tickle some one to death.

Paladins who didn't want to heal in pvp ran reckoning bomb till it was patched to 5 stacks max. After that palas buffed, palas healed and paladins got laughed at till bc made us feared.

Shockadins were highest DPS in WotLK.