Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgh View Post
    Please atleast try to look things up before you post if you are unsure. Spreading missinformation is doing noone any good.

Holy shock was the last talent in the holy tree. And Shockadins was a thing with really geard bored ppl.
    Also if we're gonna talk misinformation, then the bigger crime is you trolls leading on these poor noobs into thinking things like this were remotely viable.

Paladins were buff bits and spot healers, that was it. Dont try and mislead people into rolling paladins thinking they will ever be allowed to dps in a raid or be competitive out side of healing in pvp.

Wow classic coke is patch 1.12. With phased releases to AQ which 99% of wow classic players won't Evean see the inside of. That means no reck bombs, no spell power gear, no avenging wrath and no dps paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Paladins who didn't want to heal in pvp ran reckoning bomb till it was patched to 5 stacks max. After that palas buffed, palas healed and paladins got laughed at till bc made us feared.
    No, that is not true, before the Kazzak video, no one was reckoning and it stacking higher than 4 was patched out immediately. Before that, no one did it. It got patched to 4 and then Prot remained the better dps AND healing spec.
    But Shockadin was definitely a thing back in actual classic. I will not argue for its effectiveness, but it was a thing that people did.
    And BC did not make Paladins feared.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    No, that is not true, before the Kazzak video, no one was reckoning and it stacking higher than 4 was patched out immediately. Before that, no one did it. It got patched to 4 and then Prot remained the better dps AND healing spec.
    But Shockadin was definitely a thing back in actual classic. I will not argue for its effectiveness, but it was a thing that people did.
    And BC did not make Paladins feared.
    well BC made shockadin feared WOTLK pre patch made both ret and shockadin feared. wings into one shot, that was a glorious time.

i played paladin in vanilla, bc and wotlk. never heard or sawa single pala running as shockadin and i did BG's nearly every day i wasn't raiding.

saw alot of reckoning bomb palas and was one myself.

like this dude

reck bombs were patched almost the same day the vid came out. but it was a serious thing in pvp long befor that.
    Last edited by mmoc56f3565a46; 2018-11-21 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgh View Post
    Please atleast try to look things up before you post if you are unsure. Spreading missinformation is doing noone any good.

Holy shock was the last talent in the holy tree. And Shockadins was a thing with really geard bored ppl.
    Holy shit buddy. We get it, you like paladins. His comment was hardly misinformation, more speculation and possibly misremembering. People have a whole 3 pages of this topic to comb through so don't let one guys post ruin your day.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Napee View Post
    Holy shit buddy. We get it, you like paladins. His comment was hardly misinformation, more speculation and possibly misremembering. People have a whole 3 pages of this topic to comb through so don't let one guys post ruin your day.
    sorry but its you who are over-reacting. All i said whas that he should look it up before saying that holy shock wasn't even in the game.
    I myself mained a Priest in vanilla cuz paladins was too boring. It still was in TBC when i did main one pure for raid comp. But i do indeed love the paladin lore!

Thanks but i had a greate day yesterday

5+ Year Old Account
    If we're gonna get pissy about it, there was no spell power plate till AQ40 and there wasn't the 280% damage coefficient till 1.9 also there was no avenging wrath till bc.
    After a patch T2 was pure spell power gear, and then you have the PvP armor set which was strength and spell power. Good for shockadins but terrible for ret as ret needs crit.
    Shockadins was not a thing Evean for the extreamly geared in vanilla, maybe for the retarded who wanted to tickle some one to death.
    A good shockadin would one shot somebody every minute.

Get full T2 armor. (✔)
    Get a good spell damage weapon like the 1h mace from Nefarian. (✔)
    Equip the Zandalari trinket which boosts spellpower and healing when activated. (✔)
    Equip Shard of the Fallen Star from AQ40. (✔)
    Put spell power rings and necklace on. (✔)

Find a victim and activate Seal of Command because the Judgement damage is extremely high when stunned. Activate a macro that activates the Zandalari Tricket and Divine Favor. Hammer of Justice the fool and then Judgement + Holy Shock + Shard of the Fallen Star. If he's not dead then Hammer of Wrath and or just use Seal of Righteous and execute him. Now wait a minute to try again.
    Paladins who didn't want to heal in pvp ran reckoning bomb till it was patched to 5 stacks max. After that palas buffed, palas healed and paladins got laughed at till bc made us feared.
    Rockoning bomb never worked in pvp cause you had to be crit, and anyone with decent gear can basically one or two shot you if they crit. Casters especially with BWL or AQ40 gear will one shot you. Remember health didn't increase as much as your damage did, so it's better to just one shot people. A good Ret in AQ40 T2.5 and a decent weapon like Neretzek The Blood Drinker with Lifestealing enchant can one shot you. It is a random chance to one shot you, but it can happen far too often. And Lifestealing can proc vengeance as well, which is why Rets go for Lifestealing enchants and not Crusader or some crap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian Bob View Post
    After a patch T2 was pure spell power gear, and then you have the PvP armor set which was strength and spell power. Good for shockadins but terrible for ret as ret needs crit.

Get full T2 armor. (✔)
    Equip the Zandalari trinket which boosts spellpower and healing when activated. (✔)

Find a victim and activate Seal of Command because the Judgement damage is extremely high when stunned. Activate a macro that activates the Zandalari Tricket and Divine Favor. Hammer of Justice the fool and then Judgement + Holy Shock + Shard of the Fallen Star. If he's not dead then Hammer of Wrath and or just use Seal of Righteous and execute him. Now wait a minute to try again.

Rockoning bomb never worked in pvp cause you had to be crit, and anyone with decent gear can basically one or two shot you if they crit. Casters especially with BWL or AQ40 gear will one shot you. Remember health didn't increase as much as your damage did, so it's better to just one shot people. A good Ret in AQ40 T2.5 and a decent weapon like Neretzek The Blood Drinker with Lifestealing enchant can one shot you. It is a random chance to one shot you, but it can happen far too often. And Lifestealing can proc vengeance as well, which is why Rets go for Lifestealing enchants and not Crusader or some crap.
    Get full T2 armor. (✔)

so basically nearly no one. loot didnt drop like it does now it was a lot rarer and took a lot longer to get items. no one but the top guilds was giving there spell power trinkets, necks and rings out to paladins. and getting a full tier set was a good half a years effort. also the pvp Armour set was redundant post AQ arguable its redundant post BWL its just not many people had completed BWL before AQ opened.

getting that gear to be a funny meme in a BG once a minute was reserved for the top of the top who's guids could afford throwing loot away, because it was no use in a raid scenario. and the palas that got it were healers for those raids.

dont try and sell this guy a rose tinted concept. shockadin wasn't a thing , it was an ultra rare funny meme thing to do for the very very best paladins in the best guilds who could afford to let them.

- - - Updated - - -

to put it simply to the OP i played a paladin in vanilla, don't make that mistake. its not fun and its not the cool thing the description tells you it is and by the time you work that out it will be to much effort to re roll and you will be trapped like i was.

play a rouge, mage, warlock or warrior.

Gonna be a lot of people repeating the mistakes of those years ago and playing shitty specs like enhancement or boomkin.

Do yourself a favor and play a class thats good at what it does. Also a class thats fun to play, dont torture yourself just to be a unique snowflake. You arent going to reinvent the wheel or discover something that hasnt already been known about for years. Unless you have a guild thats going to spoil you, in which case you can play literally whatever you want. You can play an archer warrior if you really want LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ihate2beapessimist View Post
    Gonna be a lot of people repeating the mistakes of those years ago and playing shitty specs like enhancement or boomkin.
    You think realm first/hc players don't research classic? You are pointing out things that just happen naturally, there is no discussion. Casuals play specs they don't think is most optimal. Others play specs that are optimal.

5+ Year Old Account
    so basically nearly no one. loot didnt drop like it does now it was a lot rarer and took a lot longer to get items. no one but the top guilds was giving there spell power trinkets, necks and rings out to paladins. and getting a full tier set was a good half a years effort. also the pvp Armour set was redundant post AQ arguable its redundant post BWL its just not many people had completed BWL before AQ opened.
    The Fallen Star Tricket is the only hard one to get, but full T2 is not hard as well as the Zandalari Tricket and the healing mace, and yes healing mace cause even though it is spell power no Mage or Warlock can use it cause it's a mace. Lok'amir il Romathis is exclusive to healers cause it's the best healing mace for a very long time. The only class that can are Shadow Priests and they aren't a priority, and C'Thun's healing weapon just never drops. I've never seen it drop anyway. Spell damage rings and necklace are everywhere so you won't have a hard time finding those. It's kinda easy to do so long as you're a faithful raider to your guild.

dont try and sell this guy a rose tinted concept. shockadin wasn't a thing , it was an ultra rare funny meme thing to do for the very very best paladins in the best guilds who could afford to let them.
    I can assure you that it was a thing, and yes it was rare but that's how things are in WoW. You're either in a good guild and you be patient to get gear or you quit and play a Mage or Rogue. In PvP a Shockadin would execute someone and heal for a minute. I would swap over to my pure healing gear and just regen mana and swap back to execute someone. There's nothing stopping you from gear swapping in Vanilla except getting into combat. I would even swap librams with macros I've made. Cleanse would swap the libram that lowers cleanse cost, and Flash of Light would swap the libram for more healing towards Flash of Light, and etc.

Deleted
    The Fallen Star Tricket is the only hard one to get, but full T2 is not hard as well as the Zandalari Tricket and the healing mace, and yes healing mace cause even though it is spell power no Mage or Warlock can use it cause it's a mace. Lok'amir il Romathis is exclusive to healers cause it's the best healing mace for a very long time. The only class that can are Shadow Priests and they aren't a priority, and C'Thun's healing weapon just never drops. I've never seen it drop anyway. Spell damage rings and necklace are everywhere so you won't have a hard time finding those. It's kinda easy to do so long as you're a faithful raider to your guild.

I can assure you that it was a thing, and yes it was rare but that's how things are in WoW. You're either in a good guild and you be patient to get gear or you quit and play a Mage or Rogue. In PvP a Shockadin would execute someone and heal for a minute. I would swap over to my pure healing gear and just regen mana and swap back to execute someone. There's nothing stopping you from gear swapping in Vanilla except getting into combat. I would even swap librams with macros I've made. Cleanse would swap the libram that lowers cleanse cost, and Flash of Light would swap the libram for more healing towards Flash of Light, and etc.
    and you think its fine to sell the OP a super niche concept that only works with a set specific gear list that there highly unlikely ever to get, and cant get until some time after launch anyway? that was pretty shit any way considering many other classes had one shots at that time.

it clear this guy wants to be a dps. hes not gonna make it playing a buff bot

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well... you need a long term goal in Classic. I did this in Vanilla and did it twice on p-servers. There is nothing more satisfying than running around in full T2 with Lok'amir and one shotting people every now and then with the wombo combo. It's a bit like a pom pyro mage... except you try to outlast your opponent and turtle until your combo is ready.

I leveled my last toon from 50-60 as a Shockadin, the killspeed is a bit lower than Ret but you have less downtime. You have an easier time fighting multiple enemies, can heal dungeons, raids and have fun in BGs. Since there are no Shamans on Alliance side you can roll on all the spellpower mail items from dungeons and raids. Your Pre-BiS is mainly Elemental Shaman Gear mixed with Spellpower Plate.

Get full T2 armor. (✔)

the way you're laying all that shit out like 99.4% of people could ever have a chance in hell of checking those boxes makes me think you were on a classic server that wasn't REALLY 100% classic. maybe you bought a toon that had all that shit on a classic server?

either way, just getting full t2 armor is a MASSIVE accomplishment, getting that mace from nefarian is again, almost not going to happen for a LONG time if it ever does. zandalari trinket is doable but takes a ton of time and the average person will never enter aq40, must less get that trinket over the others who roll on it

paladins were buff bots in classic, it's that simple.

Deleted
    Shockodin was a luxury for the highest geared players/healers on the server (most likely less then 1% of the player base) that could actually obtain that gear, if you think you're going to ding 60 and after a month or so become a shockadin and destroy dps meters and pvp then your deluded.

My advice (if your serious) is to become a healer for a raid team (would have to be a very good raid team/guild or be very lucky on loot) and play the healer life for 90% of your time online and then eventually enjoy shockadin, but realistically if your just going to be logging on after a 9-5 job with a couple of hours a night i wouldnt suggest playing this spec.

Having said that, IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHAT YOU PLAY... so if it makes you happy then play it but be realistic.

5+ Year Old Account
    and you think its fine to sell the OP a super niche concept that only works with a set specific gear list that there highly unlikely ever to get, and cant get until some time after launch anyway? that was pretty shit any way considering many other classes had one shots at that time.
    It's not hard cause a lot of it is just the byproduct of being a good healer. Just be smart when you get gear quests cause some of it can only be had once. So as someone who played Ret and Holy I would get the best Ret gear and the best Shockadin gear.
    it clear this guy wants to be a dps. hes not gonna make it playing a buff bot
    If that's all you see Paladins then your guild will only keep them around for 2-3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by sopeonaroap View Post
    the way you're laying all that shit out like 99.4% of people could ever have a chance in hell of checking those boxes makes me think you were on a classic server that wasn't REALLY 100% classic. maybe you bought a toon that had all that shit on a classic server?
    Nope. I won't lie, it was a pain to acquire all that gear cause I had to heal and healing is boring.
    either way, just getting full t2 armor is a MASSIVE accomplishment, getting that mace from nefarian is again, almost not going to happen for a LONG time if it ever does. zandalari trinket is doable but takes a ton of time and the average person will never enter aq40, must less get that trinket over the others who roll on it
    T2 was laughably easy to get, and my guild was just disenchanting it often. That mace is super rare but Paladins and Priests should be at the top of the list to acquire it.
    paladins were buff bots in classic, it's that simple.
    I can see why your guilds might have a hard time entering AQ40 when you look at Paladins as such. Keep your hybrids happy and they'll keep you progressing, otherwise watch them reroll Rogue or Mage.

Deleted
    It's not hard cause a lot of it is just the byproduct of being a good healer. Just be smart when you get gear quests cause some of it can only be had once. So as someone who played Ret and Holy I would get the best Ret gear and the best Shockadin gear.

If that's all you see Paladins then your guild will only keep them around for 2-3 months.

Nope. I won't lie, it was a pain to acquire all that gear cause I had to heal and healing is boring.

T2 was laughably easy to get, and my guild was just disenchanting it often. That mace is super rare but Paladins and Priests should be at the top of the list to acquire it.

I can see why your guilds might have a hard time entering AQ40 when you look at Paladins as such. Keep your hybrids happy and they'll keep you progressing, otherwise watch them reroll Rogue or Mage.
    thats all i was, thats all they were and thats all they will be till a TBC server. i find it funny how people ragged on paladins and made jokes about them back in vanilla but now classic's comming back people are doing there best to brush over all of that because they realize no one in there right mind will play paladin knowing what is known now, and they want there buffs.

paladins were a joke class in vanilla, i know i was one, stop trying to sell snake oil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guffnat View Post
    Well... you need a long term goal in Classic. I did this in Vanilla and did it twice on p-servers. There is nothing more satisfying than running around in full T2 with Lok'amir and one shotting people every now and then with the wombo combo. It's a bit like a pom pyro mage... except you try to outlast your opponent and turtle until your combo is ready.

I leveled my last toon from 50-60 as a Shockadin, the killspeed is a bit lower than Ret but you have less downtime. You have an easier time fighting multiple enemies, can heal dungeons, raids and have fun in BGs. Since there are no Shamans on Alliance side you can roll on all the spellpower mail items from dungeons and raids. Your Pre-BiS is mainly Elemental Shaman Gear mixed with Spellpower Plate.
    or they could just play a pom pyro mage.....

and level faster, actually be a dps, actually get groups as a dps, and not get complained at for not focusing an healing in a bg.
    Last edited by mmoc56f3565a46; 2018-11-28 at 02:10 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    thats all i was, thats all they were and thats all they will be till a TBC server.
    And that's why Paladins and Druids rarely stayed around because that mentality is what pushes them into a corner when it comes to loot drops. Specifically 2h weapons where the Warriors vs Paladins debate would rage on. It's also the reason why lots of guilds stopped using DKP due to Paladins saving up for the 2H weapon.

i find it funny how people ragged on paladins and made jokes about them back in vanilla but now classic's comming back people are doing there best to brush over all of that because they realize no one in there right mind will play paladin knowing what is known now, and they want there buffs.

paladins were a joke class in vanilla, i know i was one, stop trying to sell snake oil.
    Without Paladins you won't get through raiding. If you delegate them into a joke class then expect to have problems putting a raid together. You won't get past BWL, assuming you can even clear BWL. It maybe a joke of a class to play, but without them you won't get far. You treat the class as a joke then the players who play them will eventually quit and all the gear they collected will go to waste. Your Rogues dps maybe topping the dps raid charts, until you realize other guilds with a good 3-4 dedicated Paladins properly buffing them and healing them will have Rogues that do double your damage at least.

There's a reason why I look at getting T2 as nothing, cause I don't stay in guilds who don't respect me and don't allow me to roll on 2h weapons. You get the Paladins who spams Holy Light rank 3 on the tank and nothing more, while the Rogues complain they don't get heals. Then those Paladins quit and reroll a fury warrior.

or they could just play a pom pyro mage.....

and level faster, actually be a dps, actually get groups as a dps, and not get complained at for not focusing an healing in a bg.
    Good luck getting into guilds that aren't run by idiots. You and everyone's grandma is going to be rolling dps and fighting you for a raid spot.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    To reiterate. You do not play a spec in vanilla, you play a class. The class had a more defined role, regardless of spec. The specs are there for several different purposes. Some classes are more intended for support and healing, like Druid. As such, you are perfectly capable healing dungeons as other specs. As balance, you were still intended to melee. Spells were a help, and the spec a help to emphasise those few spells that you did end up casting.
    Shockadin IS viable in vanilla, but it starts at 60 with gearing options. It is a good pvp spec with ZG trinket for instance.
    Everything is playable in vanilla, with caveats. One of the biggest is other players' perception. So if you are fine with still popping into cat or bear as balance, it is a good leveling spec.
    What is not good, is chain-gunning Wrath. So I will slightly revise my earlier comment about being a gimped Mage, by my expectation of what you thought a Balance Druid would play like.
    Druids are good and efficient levellers in general. Spec this way or not. Playstyle, however, will not be to chain-gun.

This.

You could do anything you wanted in Vanilla if you knew what you were doing and if you were aware of your limitations and how to work with them / how to get around them.

Deleted
    There's nothing actually wrong with them apart from competitiveness. I would choose a regular dps class in a raid if given the option but I wouldn't just exclude specs because getting 40 players isn't easy. Especially every week.

Raiding is basically the only real content that excludes people and I think that's fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticDreamer View Post
    This.

You could do anything you wanted in Vanilla if you knew what you were doing and if you were aware of your limitations and how to work with them / how to get around them.
    No, you could do what group expected you to do, or you didn't get a group. Wow is an mmo you need 4 other people to clear the basic content and 39 other people to clear the hardest.

These nich playstyles and specs existed in pvp mostly because in random instance pvp the other people didn't have a say in it. NO ONE was happy having a Shockadins on the random team when they could have a pure healer or pom pyro mage instead.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's why Paladins and Druids rarely stayed around because that mentality is what pushes them into a corner when it comes to loot drops. Specifically 2h weapons where the Warriors vs Paladins debate would rage on. It's also the reason why lots of guilds stopped using DKP due to Paladins saving up for the 2H weapon.

Without Paladins you won't get through raiding. If you delegate them into a joke class then expect to have problems putting a raid together. You won't get past BWL, assuming you can even clear BWL. It maybe a joke of a class to play, but without them you won't get far. You treat the class as a joke then the players who play them will eventually quit and all the gear they collected will go to waste. Your Rogues dps maybe topping the dps raid charts, until you realize other guilds with a good 3-4 dedicated Paladins properly buffing them and healing them will have Rogues that do double your damage at least.

There's a reason why I look at getting T2 as nothing, cause I don't stay in guilds who don't respect me and don't allow me to roll on 2h weapons. You get the Paladins who spams Holy Light rank 3 on the tank and nothing more, while the Rogues complain they don't get heals. Then those Paladins quit and reroll a fury warrior.

Good luck getting into guilds that aren't run by idiots. You and everyone's grandma is going to be rolling dps and fighting you for a raid spot.
    And that mentality isn't going to go away. Because they were right. Paladin is heal and buff bot bitch, what you do in your off time in random bgs is up to you but for groups you heal and you buff.

I'm talking from the experience of wanting to be the Paladin in the class description, getting to 60 and being utterly crushed and humiliated, forced to wear fucking cloth robes and laughed at for Evean asking to do dmg.

People aren't any different now than they were then, if anything there worse as at least back then I could sneak into the odd group of people who didn't know palas were shit. Hell sometimes they wouldn't kick me be for the end.

Every one will playing the classes that were actually complete and fun. Paladin was an abortion, literally it was overhauled just before release and wasn't complete by there own admission till tbc.

And as for raiding, pfft who knows if people will ever get past bwl, you need 40 geared people willing to dedicate a lot of time every week for months / years to clear that. Raiding was a job that took more than just logging on at raid time, you needed to grind a lot out side of raids to be ready for the raid. The whole will guild be able to maintain a 40 man raid team in a vanilla with barely a tenth of the original player base is a whole separate thread and argument.