Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    I would, but I have no plans on having children currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsbum View Post
    My old dog was named Thrall. I cringed whenever I called for him in public.
    So now I go for less popular names when naming after characters.

One of my dogs are named Tetra, after Zeldas alter-ego in Windwaker, and my other dog Sirius, after Sirius Black in HP.

At least only people who are fans will notice, lol
    If anything, they'll just think you named Sirius after the dog star /shrug. (The whole thing about Sirius' name meaning Black Dog)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkuri View Post
    Hermione is not a fictional name though. An old name that isn't used a lot anymore, yes, but not invented by jkr.

Most "wow" names that sound in the least acceptable to modern ears are not original anyway, but are versions of real names (Nathanos > Nathaniel, Jaina > Jane/Jana etc) or are taken from older, much better known fandoms like lotr. And Ciri is not a video game name, but a name from a book - something of which people seem to be more understanding if they ask where your name comes from (might change in the next 20 years ofc)

Last but not least, it's true there are some worse names than others, but that relies heavily on where you live. For example Chinese names often have unintended meanings in my native language, but you can't feasibly expect Chinese parents to name their children such that they won't get ridiculed should they once decide to move to my country. Second kids make fun of any name. I have a biblical name that in my adult life often gets praised for its beauty, but in elementary school it was one of the worst names to have. So if you try to find a name that 6yos don't make fun of in some way, good luck.
    This is ENTIRELY too true, I was looking around and one of the most popular names in like... south africa was Princess, you name you daughter Princess in the US and you're asking for trouble for that kid.

And I'd say about 99% of wow names are ripped from history or mythos. Whether it be Tolkien, or Lovecraft, or Religion, wow is full of names from them.

Deleted
    A lot of people here talk about the kid being bullied at school for having a different name, but very few people here actually have that experience.
    While I am not named after a wow character (too old for that), my mother was a romantic, so she named me Romeu (Romeo from Shakespeare), so yeah, still today the first thing people ask me when they meet me is "where's juliet?". It was a lot worse when I was young.

During all that, I never, not even once was mad at me, or my mother or anything else due to my name, in fact it was quite the opposite, during all that I was just glad I was not like everyone else, I was glad I had something different, something that only I did, I was glad that I was not just another Peter (most common name in my country, translated).

I would agree that some names would sound too cringy depending on the country of course, but at least on mine, names like Alexstrasza would be too crazy, but I would love to be named after some character, just to have something different. Names like Arthas or Anduin don't sound so bad

Leeeeeeeeroy mmm Jenkins!!!