Poll: Do you want or plan to have kids if so how many?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyah View Post
    My instinct to breed is there but if i'm being logical, i know i shouldn't and probably will not :

- i'm too selfish to sacrifice for my kids
    - When i really think about it in a logical manner, the first reason that comes to my mind to have some is that they will take care of me when i'm old which is not a good reason
    - I'm really not optimistic as what's going to happen to the planet in the next generation, not sure i want my kid to endure this.
    It's really not a good reason, nursing homes and assisted living facilities are full of old people who rarely get visitors. And, if you talk to nursing home staff, you'll realize that the lack of visitors is true for most of the residents.

I like kids. They are expensive and massively time-consuming. They are as wonderful as they are stressful. But most kids grow up to be ungrateful shits, I've met many an adult who bitched constantly about their parents, who were in no way abused or neglected. In most cases, in fact, it was evident through their discussion that the parent probably erred towards spoiling them. Which isn't exactly good parenting, but also not exactly the worst crime in the world.

I would like to get married and have 2 children. But I'm mid 30s at this point... I fully expected to have kids by age 20 and that didn't happen. Although, I could still marry a younger girl but I am still only getting older and slower =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that we need to forcibly sterilize maybe five years worth of people. Let's say the kids 1-5 right now. That might give us a fighting chance against overpopulation.

I'm kind of hoping for something like the beginning of The Last Ship to happen.
    All the people or just the people in the massively overpopulated areas of the world? Because certain countries are already doing this to themselves, no sterilization needed. Hello Japan!
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

I’ve got one daughter, and we may have another child in the near future but my wife’s life is complicated right now, so it may stay at one.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

I'm 34 but never had any instinctual urge to have kids. Intellectually the idea doesn't appeal to me, but I'm not excluding the possibility in the future (never say never), but if I were to raise children I'd prefer to adopt than to biologically father any.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm Calvin's dad in the final panel.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure to be honest, I guess it depends on if/when I meet someone...if my significant other wants children I could see adopting.

I'm of the opinion that we need to forcibly sterilize maybe five years worth of people. Let's say the kids 1-5 right now. That might give us a fighting chance against overpopulation.

I'm kind of hoping for something like the beginning of The Last Ship to happen.
    Overpopulation is not an actual real problem. If child birth rates drop for a period of time due to outside factors (disease, war, famine) that is always followed up by a massive population boom to compensate.

The scenario in The Last Ship is completely unrealistic. If 80% of the population was to die over a short period of time civilization would collapse. There simply wouldn't be enough people left to maintain the infrastructure, in a matter of months everything from power, water, sanitation, transportation, communications would collapse and decay without maintenance to a point where they simply couldn't be restored.

This would cause a significant rise in child mortality rates (you reduce the whole world to the level of a third world nation) which would be followed by a massive population boom again (women having 6-7 kids to compensate) which would in turn likely make the problem worse in 4 or 5 generations as unlike in the currently existing low birthrate developed and developing world there would be nothing to moderate this population boom for decades, possibly centuries.

Not to mention the environmental impact of the collapse of human civilization, chemical spills, nuclear contamination, the lack of ecosystem maintenance etc.

People who have apocalypse scenario fetishes rarely actually have any idea what that actually entails.

Wanna halt the population rise? Raise income levels in poor nations, lower child mortality rates and improve access to healthcare. Once you do the most basic legwork even in otherwise really poor nations birthrates drop to replacement levels.

That's why we need about a 99% culling.
    Well we're overdue for another plague. It will happen, the only question is when.

That's why we need about a 99% culling.
    So....you want to return to...prehistory? What's with this edgelord nonsense?

I don't know if I ever want to have kids. And if I do it's probably going to be a one at a time kind of thing.

People have children because they have nothing in their life and need some sort of meaning. I find people with children to be the most uninteresting people in the world , like movie extras

Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    People have children because they have nothing in their life and need some sort of meaning. I find people with children to be the most uninteresting people in the world , like movie extras
    Wow, what an edgelord.

Do you apply that same paper-thin reasoning to your own parents then?

7+ Year Old Account
    No. Children are like retarded pets. Similarly, pets are like retarded children.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Well we're overdue for another plague. It will happen, the only question is when.
    after some of the programs i've watched in the past few years I'm of the belief the next plague will likely come from india where they're already facing increasing antibiotic resistant shit plus with zero concept of sanitation they keep getting black plague outbreaks or it'll come from china, probably something like a super infectious bird flu or something along that line and both of those places are insanely overpopulated right now
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    after some of the programs i've watched in the past few years I'm of the belief the next plague will likely come from india where they're already facing increasing antibiotic resistant shit plus with zero concept of sanitation they keep getting black plague outbreaks or it'll come from china, probably something like a super infectious bird flu or something along that line and both of those places are insanely overpopulated right now
    Honestly, with the way some folks in the West talk about the poor and non-westerners, it wouldn't shock me if it's much more sinister than just a naturally-occurring epidemic. Not probable, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

I realized at quite a young age that I did not want kids and at 34 now I still haven't changed my mind on the matter. It doesn't help that I have pcos which lends itself to being unable to bear children anyway and what's the solution to that problem? birth control...

i detest kids. I'd never do anything to purposefully harm them but i REALLY detest kids and absolutely do not want to be forced to give up my current lifestyle for one. Does that make me selfish, fuck yeah it does but I don't give a damn because I am happy and that is all that matters. I'm leaving the having of the grandchildren up to my siblings

pretty much every time i talk to someone i get asked the question 'do you have kids?' and i respond with 'no, nor do i want any satan spawn' and people tend to act like I've committed some terrible sin or some bs because I don't want any little brats running around. if you're happy with your kids that's great, I'm happy not having any!!
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

People who use the "word" edgelord are morons who are indicative of the need for a culling.
    The geniuses wishing for culling usually don't realize they'd most likely be culled as well.

But no....they're "special", it's everyone else that needs culling.

Not a very Cherokee attitude there, bruh. People who've already survived a culling don't generally want another one, Pocahontas.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Wow, what an edgelord.

Do you apply that same paper-thin reasoning to your own parents then?
    Somewhat, I was a fix the relationship/ maybe it will settle him down baby

Its not being an edgelord either people who have kids talk about nothing than their kids and have nothing going on but their kids

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Honestly, with the way some folks in the West talk about the poor and non-westerners, it wouldn't shock me if it's much more sinister than just a naturally-occurring epidemic. Not probable, but it wouldn't surprise me either.
    that certainly wouldn't surprise me either. i'm sure if they thought they could do it they would try but they'd quickly realize that shit like the black plague for instance doesn't respect money or class or political leaning and they'd wind up dying right along with everyone else