Cloud Based gaming...

I ran across this expression today and I was curious...
    anyone know or can speculate if me (in Sweden) would be able to connect to Shadow servers in Germany or UK
    how much of a latency would I get, when I (normally) have around 35-50 playing any game.
    and also, is it worth 45 euros?

I am thinking of running it on my new system, and laptop, and android and connect that to my TV
    the thing that draws me to it is the simplicity of switching between platforms and still be able to play

so anyone that can give me hands on info, I would be very happy.

I don't know any of the specifics but don't do it with WoW, you can get banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW has previously banned people for using cloud based gaming solutions, since it *technically* is sharing your account info with a 3rd party.

As for if it's worth it in general: If you don't have the money to build a pc and you don't mind the latency bump (they claim 5-10ms, I claim bullshit), sure

the latency claims of 5-10 ms are complete bullshit

its about 100 ms at best . it sucks for everything but strategy games which are turn based.
    i dont know how anybody thinks this is a good service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post
    the latency claims of 5-10 ms are complete bullshit

its about 100 ms at best . it sucks for everything but strategy games which are turn based.
    i dont know how anybody thinks this is a good service.
    100ms is a bit high. I'd buy 30-50. It depends heavily on where you live and the data centers are.

30-50 is the normal ping you have to a game server, 20- if you're near.
    that excludes taking your input, calculating the next frame, compress it and transfer it back in the cloud scenario

Please comprehend that in order for a cloud based game to inform you about the new state after your input. it takes another round trip.
    While when playing locally you only do one roundtrip to get the result of your input.

=>

You make an action
    it gets tranferred
    applied to the game
    you get however most likely a frame back from the stream which is not yet reflecting your current input
    you do another action
    it gets tranferrred
    applied to the game
    and you get back the frame representing the change of the previous input not the current one.

Why dont you get the frame back immediatly?
    because you need a few frames buffered to provide a smooth experience - smooth not "lagfree"

thats why its 100 ms input delay
    probably your ping is 50 yes.
    but input delay is what you're interested in when doing cloud based gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post
    30-50 is the normal ping you have to a game server, 20- if you're near.
    that excludes taking your input, calculating the next frame, compress it and transfer it back in the cloud scenario

Please comprehend that in order for a cloud based game to inform you about the new state after your input. it takes another round trip.
    While when playing locally you only do one roundtrip to get the result of your input.

=>

You make an action
    it gets tranferred
    applied to the game
    you get however most likely a frame back from the stream which is not yet reflecting your current input
    you do another action
    it gets tranferrred
    applied to the game
    and you get back the frame representing the change of the previous input not the current one.

Why dont you get the frame back immediatly?
    because you need a few frames buffered to provide a smooth experience - smooth not "lagfree"

thats why its 100 ms input delay
    probably your ping is 50 yes.
    but input delay is what you're interested in when doing cloud based gaming.
    But we're talking about the latency increase from using their service, not overall latency in the system

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    WoW has previously banned people for using cloud based gaming solutions, since it *technically* is sharing your account info with a 3rd party.

As for if it's worth it in general: If you don't have the money to build a pc and you don't mind the latency bump (they claim 5-10ms, I claim bullshit), sure
    Question - how exactly is it sharing your account info? I know for some of the cloud based ones all you are doing is connecting to a VM of windows and launching the game as you would no differently on your PC. You do not give your information out at all.

Ya it is unfortunate, I used to stream WoW to my Shield K1 Tablet within my home but apparently you are not allowed to which seems absurd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by xacid View Post
    Question - how exactly is it sharing your account info? I know for some of the cloud based ones all you are doing is connecting to a VM of windows and launching the game as you would no differently on your PC. You do not give your information out at all.
    I don't think they can tell if you are account sharing or not if you use cloud based gaming, so the safe route is to assume you are and ban you. So, don't use cloud gaming with WoW. There's probably something in the TOS that you agree to run Warden or something and this breaks the Warden clause of your contract? i dunno.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Ya it is unfortunate, I used to stream WoW to my Shield K1 Tablet within my home but apparently you are not allowed to which seems absurd to me.
    I do it all the time with Steam? I stream wow from my desktop to my potato laptop all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    I do it all the time with Steam? I stream wow from my desktop to my potato laptop all the time.
    It is against their ToS now, so if you get caught I think it is like a 3 month ban the first time. Their reasoning is they have no 100% way to guarantee it is you playing and not some asian dude across the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But we're talking about the latency increase from using their service, not overall latency in the system
    to phrase it like this it would be : at least twice as big lag than when done locally
    which is absolutely unacceptable for me