Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Taelia and Yrel are both unlikable Mary Sues. Correlation with bad expansions?

Of the last 4 expansions, there are two that are a clear step-down in quality from what long-time players expect. Those expansions are WoD and BFA. Both of these expansions were/are bad for varying reasons, but there is one thing that is consistent between them. In both, the player is guided around the zones by an unlikable Mary Sue who came out of fucking nowhere but is apparently super smart and strong because reasons.

In WOD, we had Yrel, the draenei who had little to no military training. Even though WOD had the player as the commander of the entire Alliance expedition, you follow this no name Draenei around as if she was superior to you in any way.

BFA has Taelia, who is just as much a Mary Sue from out of nowhere, only her last name is Fordragon, which I guess means we should take her seriously? Same old story though. She's always in the right place at the right time, never knows defeat, and the player follows her around like a submissive pet.

Now, I have 2 theories as to why the two most poorly received expansions have pro-feminism plot points. My first theory runs off the idea that Blizzard is full of spineless yes-ma'ams. My second theory is that Blizzard understands the social climate of the tech industry and has found a way to support it with strategic timing for their own gain.

Theory 1: It's as simple as this. As liberal/leftist ideals have gained higher prominence in the tech industry, Blizzard has let their ideals leak into and pollute WOD and BFA. Blizzard had no idea these 2 xpacs were going to be shit, and it just so happens that their horribly written Mary Sues took the main stage.

With the disconnect that Blizzard has shown with fans in the past few months, this theory could be true, but I don't want to believe it. My second theory is full tinfoil hat, but it would mean that Blizzard still has some tricks up their sleeve.

Theory 2: Blizzard knew that WoD and BFA were gonna be garbage. Blizzard has alternated between good and bad expansions since the WotLK-Cata transition. Mop was good, WoD bad, Legion good, BfA bad, etc.

Now, women are getting more involved in the tech industry than ever before. This is good in theory, but many of these women are fat, pink haired slugs with sociology degrees and no real skills. Their effects are easily found in the downfall of Bioware and the Assassin's Creed series.

Blizzard knows that they must please these pigs or suffer their wrath on social media, so they devise a plan. Create characters written by some blue haired feminist on Tumblr and stick them in the expansions that Blizzard knew were already gonna be shit. The expansions were known to be so bad that everyone would ignore how poorly written their new characters are, but meanwhile Anita Sarkeesian will take note that Blizzard has made efforts to have a female-friendly game. And because feminists never actually play the games they bitch about, they'll never know that their characters got dumped into the off-expansion in between the two good ones.

I want to believe in theory 2. I think Ion has a fetish for pink hair and horned rim glasses, but he doesn't want to defile the good xpacs with fanfiction-tier characters just for some fat leftist ass.

You spelled "Garrosh" wrong there buddy.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by SealMemeSix View Post
    Of the last 4 expansions, there are two that are a clear step-down in quality from what long-time players expect. Those expansions are WoD and BFA. Both of these expansions were/are bad for varying reasons, but there is one thing that is consistent between them. In both, the player is guided around the zones by an unlikable Mary Sue who came out of fucking nowhere but is apparently super smart and strong because reasons.

In WOD, we had Yrel, the draenei who had little to no military training. Even though WOD had the player as the commander of the entire Alliance expedition, you follow this no name Draenei around as if she was superior to you in any way.

BFA has Taelia, who is just as much a Mary Sue from out of nowhere, only her last name is Fordragon, which I guess means we should take her seriously? Same old story though. She's always in the right place at the right time, never knows defeat, and the player follows her around like a submissive pet.

Now, I have 2 theories as to why the two most poorly received expansions have pro-feminism plot points. My first theory runs off the idea that Blizzard is full of spineless yes-ma'ams. My second theory is that Blizzard understands the social climate of the tech industry and has found a way to support it with strategic timing for their own gain.

Theory 1: It's as simple as this. As liberal/leftist ideals have gained higher prominence in the tech industry, Blizzard has let their ideals leak into and pollute WOD and BFA. Blizzard had no idea these 2 xpacs were going to be shit, and it just so happens that their horribly written Mary Sues took the main stage.

With the disconnect that Blizzard has shown with fans in the past few months, this theory could be true, but I don't want to believe it. My second theory is full tinfoil hat, but it would mean that Blizzard still has some tricks up their sleeve.

Theory 2: Blizzard knew that WoD and BFA were gonna be garbage. Blizzard has alternated between good and bad expansions since the WotLK-Cata transition. Mop was good, WoD bad, Legion good, BfA bad, etc.

Now, women are getting more involved in the tech industry than ever before. This is good in theory, but many of these women are fat, pink haired slugs with sociology degrees and no real skills. Their effects are easily found in the downfall of Bioware and the Assassin's Creed series.

Blizzard knows that they must please these pigs or suffer their wrath on social media, so they devise a plan. Create characters written by some blue haired feminist on Tumblr and stick them in the expansions that Blizzard knew were already gonna be shit. The expansions were known to be so bad that everyone would ignore how poorly written their new characters are, but meanwhile Anita Sarkeesian will take note that Blizzard has made efforts to have a female-friendly game. And because feminists never actually play the games they bitch about, they'll never know that their characters got dumped into the off-expansion in between the two good ones.

I want to believe in theory 2. I think Ion has a fetish for pink hair and horned rim glasses, but he doesn't want to defile the good xpacs with fanfiction-tier characters just for some fat leftist ass.
    Being related to a lore character doesn't make one a mary sue.

There are tons of quests chains in the game where we follow npcs around. And the ones where we follow Taelia around make sense, because we're in Kul'tiras where she grew up, and she's basically Cyrus' second in command more or less being raised by him, so we're helping her with fixing up the 'infection' in Kul Tiras. The abilities she displays make sense for her backstory. She doesn't come to a huge leadership position overnight like it felt like Y'rel did. Is she a bit generic? Sure, but she's not really a mary sue. And she at least has some good banter with Flynn.

Edit: Oh boy. I should have read the whole thread before responding, this topic isn't going to go anywhere good.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a lot of projection in the OP's thread.

How is adding new characters who happen to be female is feminism? Give me a frigging break.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Taelia is not a Mary Sue.

...at least not yet.

You misspelled Thrall and Sylvanas.

10+ Year Old Account
    In what world is Taelia a Mary Sue? She's done literally nothing.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

No Taelia is a well made character unlike Yrel where a lot of content with her was cut.
    It begins with absence and desire.It begins with blood and fear.It begins with....

Translation: "Damn wo-man characters making me have to listen to someone Im obviously superior to by rights of my spectacularly limited knowledge of genetics."
    Wolfie Pandaren Shaman - Pet Collection - Mount Collection
    Pinfire Dwarf Hunter - SaintJoan Draenei Paladin - Sadiefalk Human Rogue - Hamartanein Dwarf Warlock
    Lotusdream Pandaren Monk - Aponyia Tauren Shaman

Yes OP, women are ruining your videogames by existing, feel free to cry about it in your cave.

Taelia has barely even done anything aside from taking you on a gryphon to bomb a few ships.

I'm honestly baffled about how much you managed to write about a character that barely made any significant appearance, especially compare it to Yrel who was a primary focus of WoD.

imagine unironically thinking having female characters in a game to be an offense or some shit.

Little to none of the story and actions of these characters have to do with their gender. Shit I took the troll bait.

The term "Mary Sue" has no meaning any more. I cannot recall the last time I saw someone on these forums actually use the term in something that even approximates the actual meaning.

A mind-numbingly stupid post that attempts to project the OPs politics onto the game by claiming to detect some other politics. Then, in typical internet fashion, you try to insist that it's Blizzard politicizing the game content when it's really just your lens, your agenda.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SealMemeSix View Post

Sounds like you have some issues with women that you really need to work out. Yrel was one quite popular even with her backstory cut out... and where are you getting Taelia as a Mary Sue? She doesn't do anything but point you towards something to kill, the Horde hasn't even seen her at all.

This thread got a little sense in a way, that suddenly unestablished characters show up which we are following as they were some sort of established heroes from WC (like Thrall, Sylvanas, Khadgar etc.), however, other from that it seems like OP is just crying for female characters "hur dur women make me do something, I should be in charge or females here in my man cave".

Further, since when forums changed their opinion on Legion? I remember shit load of topics saying Legion is shit and too grindy, and too hard for casuals bla bla, but suddenly Legion is a good expansion, okay...

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azelas View Post
    Taelia has barely even done anything aside from taking you on a gryphon to bomb a few ships.

I'm honestly baffled about how much you managed to write about a character that barely made any significant appearance, especially compare it to Yrel who was a primary focus of WoD.

imagine unironically thinking having female characters in a game to be an offense or some shit.
    ikr, I have no idea where he is coming up with this Taelia stuff, she has hardly done anything

Trying to label Taelia a Mary Sue as an oxymoron considering how she has had little influence in the story, and has done like nothing relevant to the progression of the story.

Also, cut the crap with the feminist finger pointing, it's self-defeating in any valid argument you'd want to make. Plus, being intimidated by the notion of women being in power fiction or otherwise reveals your insecurity to be able to be relevant in society on the merits of who you are as an individual opposed to your gender. Wanting equality does not equate to wanting subjugation.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylight View Post
    This thread got a little sense in a way, that suddenly unestablished characters show up which we are following as they were some sort of established heroes from WC (like Thrall, Sylvanas, Khadgar etc.), however, other from that it seems like OP is just crying for female characters "hur dur women make me do something, I should be in charge or females here in my man cave".

Further, since when forums changed their opinion on Legion? I remember shit load of topics saying Legion is shit and too grindy, and too hard for casuals bla bla, but suddenly Legion is a good expansion, okay...
    You are getting new people to follow because you are in a new area... why would it make any sense to be running around Zandalar with an orc instead of a Zandalari or Kul Tiras with a space goat instead of a human that was raised there.

Legion was... at the very start. They largely fixed the AP issues with the first patch and made alts viable with artifact knowledge. It was easily the best expansion since Wrath, and people cry about every expansion the exact same way when it is current.

Your 4chan is showing OP. Neither of those two are "Mary Sues" when they are judged in Warcrafts context. Yrels OP for rising to a military leader from a civilian more quickly yet Broxigars a-ok after killing thousands of demons and wounding a being large enough to cause the ice age just by stepping foot on Azeroth?
    Even if you pull the classic defence in "i only care about the in-game shit" then the worst you arguably claim is that their story arcs are full of cliches, bland and/or shallow and very unbelievable but in a world where Anduin exists this is still an incredibly dumb argument. Oh but he's obviously just fine because hes male!

What makes this amusing is you actually had a perfectly valid target available, that would also fit in with your wonderful views about "women who are fat, pink haired slugs with sociology degrees and no real skills" aka the typical aggressive basement dweller "regressive feminist views are ruining everything!!!1!11" rhetoric, in Talanji yet you stuck to Alliance characters. I somehow doubt you have a particularly broad mind.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst many companies have tried to insert horrible Female characters into Movies/Games etc specifically as a "RAWR I AM WOMYN!" type deal. It doesn't always mean Female Characters are these types. The only problem is, when a character is written entirely as a Mary Sue it is hard to differentiate between just a Bad writer or a "Stronk Womyn" writer.

So basically, don't confuse Bad writing with horrible identity politics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lyvefire View Post
    Your 4chan is showing OP. Neither of those two are "Mary Sues" when they are judged in Warcrafts context. Yrels OP for rising to a military leader from a civilian more quickly yet Broxigars a-ok after killing thousands of demons and wounding a being large enough to cause the ice age just by stepping foot on Azeroth? Even if you pull the classic "i only care about the in-game shit" then the worst you arguably claim is that their story arcs are full of cliches, bland and/or shallow and very unbelievable but in a world where Anduin exists this is still an incredibly dumb argument. Oh but he's obviously just fine because hes male and therefore cannot created by "women who are fat, pink haired slugs with sociology degrees and no real skills"!

What makes this amusing is you actually had a perfectly valid target available, that would also fit in with your wonderful views about "women who are fat, pink haired slugs with sociology degrees and no real skills" aka the typical aggressive basement dweller "regressive feminist views are ruining everything" rhetoric, in Talanji yet you stuck to Alliance characters. I somehow doubt you have a particularly broad mind.
    Broxigar was a Larry Stu. This Convo seemed to be about Mary Sues. But he was also written by a Guy with an insatiable need to make everyone a Mary Sue/Larry Stu. Knaak was a Bad writer.