Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    As a woman it rings hollow to me because I don't care how much pandering they do to talk about "empowering women" when they're basically all the same goddamn character.

None of these characters have depth further than a shallow puddle. Talanji is just Yrel if she was a troll princess. Taelia is outshined by Flynn who's actually a fun character with personality. And honestly, Sylvanas is a trainwreck of a character because if she's not intended to be a villain then she's about as morally grey as a serial killer.

Blizzard, learn how to write before you pat yourselves on the back about inclusion. I'm not impressed and I don't think a lot of other women are, either. This game has the crappiest, most fanficy writing I've ever had the displeasure of actually caring about in the past. I'm sick of characters that actually used to be interesting like Sylvanas take a turn for the stupid because your new expansion needs conflict.
    I really like Flynn, it's currently the only character were I would be upset if died and only character I truly look forward to see more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I've been reading the thread, collecting my own thoughts, because I do believe it is pandering, but then again, I wouldn't care if it was well written, so I think you hit the nail in the head. Male or female focused, the story is shit regardless, and until they start caring about telling a decent story with enough of a variety of characters, everything else is pointless.

Although, to be fair, Warcraft never had really good writing. It had 80s-comic-book-level writing with some, almost accidental, moments of brilliance. It's a shame such a huge property with a massive fanbase wasn't developed into something better, and it's an even bigger shame that they're not meeting their own quality standards anymore, low as they may have been.
    Same here. Jana could be a "princess" in a Disney movie where Sylvanas could play the evil stepmother, Anduin could join a boy band and Saurfang play the old warrior cliche in a 3rd rate low budget school play and the only thing the audience might notice is the latter having a bit of an unhealthy complexion.

This story has the complexity of a 9 piece jigsaw puzzle for toddlers, its characters the depth of a dried up puddle in late July.

I don't for one second believe that a Californian company was oblivious to the gender issues and that 'it just happened', but I don't care as long as the story was decent. This has nothing to do with male or female leads, but with the infantilization of culture in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Alleria Windrunner View Post
    Greymane, Nathanos, Rastakhan, Malfurion, Turalyon, Bwonsamdi, Bolvar...

Lol, Is this kindergarten? By your logic Argus, Illidan and Malfurion are also male thots since they are half-naked and as such they should be erased from the game.
    Greymane is there but he's not really doing much. He's more of a crazed lunatic than a strong character. Nathanos is just Sylvanas' lapdog/hatchetman. Rastakhan is an ok character whose days are probably numbered. Malfurion was horribly written in Legion. He came off as weak and not much else. Turalyon was ok in the last expansion but sort of bland. He's not exactly around now. Bwonsamdi is a loa there as a plot device. I don't know what Bolvar is currently doing. I don't believe he has much of any connection with the current expansion storylines. Its hard to argue that pretty much all the strong male characters from the previous expansions who were major lore figures and leaders haven't been removed. Whether by coincidence or some other agenda idk but it is what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    As a woman it rings hollow to me because I don't care how much pandering they do to talk about "empowering women" when they're basically all the same goddamn character.

None of these characters have depth further than a shallow puddle. Talanji is just Yrel if she was a troll princess. Taelia is outshined by Flynn who's actually a fun character with personality. And honestly, Sylvanas is a trainwreck of a character because if she's not intended to be a villain then she's about as morally grey as a serial killer.

Blizzard, learn how to write before you pat yourselves on the back about inclusion. I'm not impressed and I don't think a lot of other women are, either. This game has the crappiest, most fanficy writing I've ever had the displeasure of actually caring about in the past. I'm sick of characters that actually used to be interesting like Sylvanas take a turn for the stupid because your new expansion needs conflict.
    Best post in this thread IMO.

Even if it was sjw/female pandering, I wouldn't have minded it as much if the characters had more personality and the story was better. Jaina was alright though tbh.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!