Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Can't say I m surprised but after watching 10 ep I wish there would have been an ending instead of so many cliffhangers

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Sounds pretty similar to what happen with the Warcraft movie. Based on the most popular game of an entire genre and could easily be described as one of the most “basic bitch” of nerd games due to its name recognition, and yet people just didn’t care about it. Yeah, it was a bad movie and got terrible reviews from the get go, but it’s viewership outside of China was absolutely abysmal. People, despite recognizing the name, just weren’t interested.

I don’t know what Cowboy Beebop’s viewer numbers were like, but if people like myself who recognized the name but didn’t fit into its niche fandom weren’t interested from the get go, then it very well may be that the majority of its audience were those dissatisfied fans that trashed it online just because it wasn’t the perfect adaptation. Maybe. I wouldn’t know because name recognition doesn’t automatically create interest.
    Fans don't want perfect adaptations. They want faithful adaptations. That means ditching some of the cast and writers who clearly DON'T want to be faithful to the source material. Spike and Jet were the only redeeming characters and their actors did a decent job portraying them in spite of the god awful writing.

I still think the show could have been salvaged had Netflix been willing to find a director and writing staff willing to actually make a good show that stayed true to the franchise.

Instead, they choose to keep hiring hack activist writers who want to hamfist everything and disgrace the legacies of other creators. Look no further than the terrible WoT and He-man shows that have released this year that are getting heavily criticized by fans of the originals.

What's really too bad is that actress who played Ed. I know we were pretty tough on her, but imagine how it must feel to get a chance like that, and all you'll be able to show for it is that one minute of screentime?
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Thinking about giving this show a try. I had no idea it was based on an anime, so maybe that’s why it’s getting poor reviews? Is it actually bad or are anime fans just upset cause it’s live action and “not the same” blah, blah, blah?
    It's a solid 7/10. It's not perfect but as long as you aren't constantly complaining about how it changed things It's fairly entertaining. Biggest problem is it ends on kind of a downer note that will never be resolved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Thinking about giving this show a try. I had no idea it was based on an anime, so maybe that’s why it’s getting poor reviews? Is it actually bad or are anime fans just upset cause it’s live action and “not the same” blah, blah, blah?
    If you have no experience with the source material, you would probably enjoy it. It's an ok series. 6 outa 10. The one thing (beyond cringing everything the Netflix series tried to copy the anime and did it worse) that annoyed me was it almost felt at times like the writers were embarrassed by the series. Like they had to explain things that really didn't need explaining. Like the closest thing the series has to a main antagonist is a character named Vicious. In the anime, that is just what he is called. In the Netflix series they had to explain that by making it a code-name.

So yeah, not a great series, but probably watchable. That said, the anime is better in every single way. Just watch that. It's also on Netflix and the english dub is actually really great so you don't even have to read subtitles!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Fans don't want perfect adaptations. They want faithful adaptations. That means ditching some of the cast and writers who clearly DON'T want to be faithful to the source material. Spike and Jet were the only redeeming characters and their actors did a decent job portraying them in spite of the god awful writing.

I still think the show could have been salvaged had Netflix been willing to find a director and writing staff willing to actually make a good show that stayed true to the franchise.

Instead, they choose to keep hiring hack activist writers who want to hamfist everything and disgrace the legacies of other creators. Look no further than the terrible WoT and He-man shows that have released this year that are getting heavily criticized by fans of the originals.
    I don't know why you're talking about "disgrace the legacies of other creators" when referencing Masters of the Universe (NOT "The He-man Show"). He-man himself was literally created in Mattel's boardroom just to sell toys. Even the old 80's show retconned most of his original backstory. There's no real "legacy" other than the nostalgia of now 30-40 year old men. The new show is actually pretty good as well and stays true to the essence of the original characters. The main gripe by "fans" was just that it didn't center around their favorite character which is a perfectly fine direction for a reboot/sequel story to take. They can bitch about how it was advertised, but the quality of the show itself is completely separate.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also seems to me lots of people are forgetting this is Netflix -

Netflix cancels even 'successful' shows after one or two seasons. They take popular shows out even when the 4th or 5th season is doing strong. They've *always* done this. To the chagrin of many fans of 'actually successful' shows. They are 'infamous' for - "Wait that was a good show - Why did Netflix cancel it?"

Not saying the Live Action CB was a 'success' they cancelled.

Just commenting that this is NETFLIX. Success or not - they cancel stuff - for their own reasons.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only a few episodes in, its OK. I am getting fed up with the way streaming services are fixated on overarching story instead of being episodic. A lot of screen time wasted on tepid and uninteresting Vicious story.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Only a few episodes in, its OK. I am getting fed up with the way streaming services are fixated on overarching story instead of being episodic. A lot of screen time wasted on tepid and uninteresting Vicious story.
    This show had too much Vicious in Julia in it, and they sucked.

I watched the original anime and I liked the live action adaption. Would of liked to see more seasons, good actor picks overall - unsure about Ed, but then again we only got one short scene.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    the original is immaculate sir. get that bluray.
    I disagree, it had some nice sets in the 2nd half of the movie though..overall it looks very dated..

The story was average at best

Cowboy wasn't as annoying as in the netflix show

His big partner was a walking stereotype of strong sidekick, even has the beard..

Ed was just....the worst, she on crack? The kind of over the top character that makes me dislike anime..

Corgi munching down that bowl of noodles was awesome, gave me a laugh

The bad guy...typical anime monotonous slow talk...

I liked cowboys red ship