Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Titan V was $3,000.
    Insane, clearly developed for creators and studios, not gamers.

By the time any game can actually utilize that much horsepower or ram the card will already be outdated by 2 or 3 generations.

Ill go out on a limb and say 99.9% of gamers will never buy a Titan GPU.
    Plus I wonder how nvidias 2000 series are doing compared to the 1000 series, I'm guessing not good, seeing how the price per performance is actually worse and the 2080ti isn't much better than the 1080ti unless you turn on raytracing.
    Last edited by Daethz; 2018-12-06 at 03:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If we're getting an IGPU with the performance of a 570, I'll be impressed as all hell. The current Vega 8 is, what, like, 30% the power of a 570?
    I feel like I just wasted money buying a used RX 470 on Ebay for my HTPC. My HTPC runs my old FX 8350 and that's really old, and yet AMD is going to have a 6 core Ryzen 2 with Navi graphics for $130. If the graphics does perform like a 570 I've wished I had waited.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    This is how the rotating carousel of Youtubers works. Originally Linus was everybody's favourite small time Youtuber that gave great information, then as he gathered viewers he transitioned to being primarily entertainment (moving from employers office to own office to studio), so people gravitated to Jayz as he was a decent small time Youtuber that gave great information, then as he gathered viewers he transitioned to being primarily entertainment (moving from his bedroom to home office to studio), so people gravitated to GN as Steve was a decent small time Youtuber that gave great information, then as he gathered viewers he's transitioning to being primarily entertainment (moving from his home office to studio), and so on...
    Except GN is still more detailed than pure entertainment, so no, what you're saying isn't correct. Yes, he moved into a studio, no it does not correlate to moving away from info to entertaining. He still focuses on making quality, informative content. That's what I'm finding I really like about GN. They're getting big but sticking to being informative and the OC stream videos have been particularly interesting to see, and sure, you could call them entertainment, but I like how GN actually seems to do it more seriously than Linus ever did. Linus is just "let me throw a bunch of money at it and be a tryhard for a bit and then stop" meanwhile GN tries things other than LN2, like the massive radiator in ice-water was actually interesting to see how it did. (Unsurprising results, but still something different).

I think GN actually recognizes they have an audience who want real, detailed info and that's what they want to provide and they're going to stick to it.

GN's Steve and Linus even talked about this at Linus' convention: people like Linus help bring newcomers into the realm, Steve then gets the ones who are more serious about it and want to learn more.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Except GN is still more detailed than pure entertainment, so no, what you're saying isn't correct. -snip
    Transition-ing, current tense.

You even bolded the relevant bit then wrote ten lines arguing against a point that was never made xD
    Last edited by caervek; 2018-12-06 at 08:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because he's more entertainment than educational. Just like Linus. Their format allows them to be more popular because you don't have to care too much about tech to like it, unlike the other guys.
    Exactly this.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Not terribly sure why people have their panties in a twist here. So Nvidia released a top end premium consumer card like they always do and at the usual price. What's the shitstorm/surprise about?

I usually purchase Ti level cards, currently sitting at 1080Ti, naturally I'll skip 2080Ti and probably 3080Ti, but I do understand why 2080Ti costs the money it costs, it's quite a bit more complex than 1080Ti and component it has to allow RT is too fresh to be produced at reasonable price yet.

Whether it was a good move to release it at this price, instead of holding a good year or two for it to mature is a good question, but I guess they did their calculations adn and came to conclusion that being first with consumer ray tracing for games outweighs the pricing issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post

I am always entertained seeing so many shilling for huge corporations that exist purely to extort more money from customers and please shareholders, it's like a brigade of low IQ minions these companies own for no cost, always trying to defend them online and run damage control when the company is messing up.

I own Nvidia cards, I own Intel CPUs, and I own AMD products, but I despise all of them, as all big business is immoral.

If anyone is a "fan" of any big business and runs to defend them, they should be ashamed of themselves and reconsider their life choices.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Yes, sadly this is what the world has come to.

This is really a very bad way to look at things, lacking any depth. I'll explain, and it's not even hard.

When the top end card is 700USD instead of 1300USD, there's is far less room for a company to overprice their mainstream/budget solutions, i.e. what the most people buy (let's say, GTX 970/1060 stuff) is pushed to lower prices. We used to get x70 series that would compete or dethrone past Ti cards at 300-400USD.
    Let me stop you right there. The proper Ti range hasn't been going long enough for this to be any kind of valid measure. The 780 Ti, which was the first "proper" Ti card (not just a 550 or 650 Ti) and it traded blows with the 980 until it fell behind the actual curve of modern graphics. In some areas it just couldn't keep up, such as in games like Witcher 3, it was behind by a considerable margin.

In a lot of games, there was a 1-5% margin between a 780 Ti and a 980. In games that the 980 pulled ahead, it was generally ahead by 10-20%. The 970 couldn't beat the 780 Ti in 99% of games.

The same applies with the 2070. It's significantly faster than the 1080, but falls behind the 1080Ti.

Now that card is called 2080RTX, and it's not even always better than the 1080ti, but comes at 800USD - double the price that it should have been. Yes, I am indeed saying the 2080 is not a x80 GPU, it's the actual x70, and the 2070RTX is basically the 2060, based on their performance.

So even if you're not rich and can't afford more than a 1060, you should care for how much a Titan and Ti cost, because that inevitably affects what YOU want to buy.
    Also, you don't seem to be factoring the raw cost of the RTX technology into any of this. This particular release group is unprecedented in that it has essentially experimental tech built into it, early and at huge extra cost.

Nvidia has no incentive to lower prices for such high-end tech when there are already alternatives available and the 20xx range is basically just for people who want RTX tech way too early to be of any value to themselves.

If the prices continue on at this rate in the following years, you might have some kind of point.

But as I said in the first place, Ti cards are not as easily dethroned as you seem to be imagining, nor are they the basis for this pricing or an accurate way to judge this particular generation.

The 970 is better than the 780ti in most modern titles. Watch some benmchmark/game videos. And it came with 0.5-1GB more RAM, depending on how you wanna look at it. And overclocked better. The 1070 is up to 14% or so better than the 980ti. Where does that leave the 2070? Nowhere.

Factor in RTX? I am, by not buying and keeping my 1070ti, even though I saved money for a 2080 and a 9900K. Keeping the money, thanks.

RTX at this point in time consists on some pretty reflections in BFV (in some areas), tanking performance by 50%. No thank you. I am not their lab rat.
    Feel free to cherry pick whatever reviews you want. If you're talking about games that came out some 8+ years after the 780ti's release, then I wouldn't be amazed either way.

The 1070 and co. were a die shrink on top of a flat out tech upgrade. It would've been pretty problematic if it wasn't significantly better than the previous generation.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...al-fantasy-xv/

...Nvidia, wtf is wrong with you?

DLSS requires a 4K monitor to even be a valid option.

Well. That's great for 4K I guess. And the 1 game it works on.

FFXV. Which just had all future support/expansion cancelled....

So yeah.

Not even worth getting for DLSS now, unless you're an early adopter of a 4K monitor, as well as a 20xx RTX card, on top of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    ...Nvidia, wtf is wrong with you?
    Heh.

No there is probably not a big draw for any RTX features right now but from what I understand DLSS is an upsampled picture(1440p pretending to be 4k and it does work well) so maybe there is not that much point in having it at any lower res as you would be killing it with any of the RTX cards even without DLSS regardless.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.