Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help me with this build...

I am trying to get me a computer that will be able to run max graphics on Destiny 2 and WOW to have
    at least 50-60 fps on Ultra mode. So Here is how far I gotten so far, help me find out the flaws and weaknesses.

* Corsair Force LE200 240GB (for the OS and gaming)
    * Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 (Svart/Orange/Transparent)
    * AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3,7GHz Socket AM4 Box
    * Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Strix Gaming OC HDMI 3xDP 8GB
    * Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
    * Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB (BLE2C8G4D32BEEAK)
    * Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 256MB 4TB (storage)
    * Asus DRW-24D5MT
    * Corsair Hydro H100x (2x120mm)
    * Corsair RM650i 650W (mebbe go 1000W or more thinking of adding a second graphics card later)

So what is the weak spot and the suggestion?

thank you

You do not buy AMD for Blizzard oriented games if you can afford Intel, which it seems you can.

Ryzen are awesome, but they are also for those people that will play 50 different games in the next 3-5 years or will mostly work on the PC and occasionally pop a game and not for someone that will play <Blizzard Game> + something occasionally.

If Blizzard games are your main priority you should really go for Intel, thats all.

Otherwise, nothing seems wrong, just slightly overkill on some things like the motherboard and the cooler, even if you are planning to OC, which for the 2700X isnt really needed, since its mostly at 4.3Ghz by itself and there isnt much headroom, therefor that cooler is overkill.

And its 2018, get a 500GB SSD, hell even get a 120GB-240GB purely for windows and a separate 500GB SSD for games.

And oh forgot, Nvidia killed SLI on most cards cause they can, i think only 2080 Ti can SLI from the RTX generation, maybe the just announced Titan also? Havent checked yet.

You wont need a better PSU.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-12-03 at 08:02 PM.

so which Intel processor would be good and good enough for lets say 1-2 years in the future?
    and with the change to Intel, then what motherboard would be suitable, and I like overkill, I been living under the standard
    for ages years, eons it seems, now I wanna get ahead of the curve and splurge

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunhammer View Post
    so which Intel processor would be good and good enough for lets say 1-2 years in the future?
    and with the change to Intel, then what motherboard would be suitable, and I like overkill, I been living under the standard
    1-2 years? More like 5 but still ;p

From the money you will waste on that motherboard, you can get any Z390 at the 130-150$ range, aka around 900 krona? or how its called and simply put it towards a 9700K.

Pick a motherboard you wanna look at, as others on here have mentioned Gigabyte has a decent Z390 series so go for that.

Generally as i said, your build is fine, just if you want that extra ~10% from IPC that Blizzard games love, and another ~10% because the 9700K is at 4.7Ghz instead of 4.3 the 2700X has then just go Intel.

Your money is up to you , you can even go the 9900K but thats just waste of money/overkill.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-12-03 at 09:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Potis said, get an intel CPU if your main goal is to play Blizzard games (even most other games, if you don't mind the price increase).
    As for MOBOs - Gigabyte have fantastic Z390's, MSI have some decent offerings too.

Anything from this year would be good for some time. The 9900k/9700k/8700k are all good choices depending on how much you're willing to spend

thank you all for the answers, as it is I have 25000kr that is in around 2500 euro to spend on the machine and I wanna squeeze every ounce of gameplay from that, so I thank you all for the information, and will check into the different suggestions, Intel it is, so I got to change mobo, so...I am hunting

- - - Updated - - -

Will this be vialble and work together with my other stuff I am buying?

*Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
    * Intel Core i9 9900K 3,6GHz Socket 1151-2 Box without Cooler
    or
    * Intel Core i7 9700K 3,6GHz Socket 1151-2 Box without Cooler

thinking also of the watercooler, will it fit or will I have to get another that fits the intel socket?

thank you all for the answers, as it is I have 25000kr that is in around 2500 euro to spend on the machine and I wanna squeeze every ounce of gameplay from that, so I thank you all for the information, and will check into the different suggestions, Intel it is, so I got to change mobo, so...I am hunting

- - - Updated - - -

Will this be vialble and work together with my other stuff I am buying?

*Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
    or
    * Intel Core i7 9700K 3,6GHz Socket 1151-2 Box without Cooler

thinking also of the watercooler, will it fit or will I have to get another that fits the intel socket?
    Yeah everything else you have is compatible, just the mainboard/CPU have to be paired together. The cooler you have has been out for with some time but should have the mounting hardware for both platforms, especially for the Intel platform.

As others have said the system is overkill for what you are asking. You could easily drop $1000 from your budget and still get well over what you want from WoW and D2 for years(an i5 8600k and 1070TI will pretty much murder these games). Where you might get value in what you are building is if you are planning to do some heavy streaming or future proofing your computer for other AAA gaming titles you might buy. The first response was pretty spot on and I would definitely buy a 500g+ SSD if you are spending this much and don't bother going for 2x gpus.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just as a point of intrigue, I want to share this, in the hopes that you watch it and learn from it. The Intel i7-2600K, from 8 years ago, is still doing alright. Is it a bottleneck now? Sure. Does that stop these numbers from showing its capabilities? Nope! This just proves that CPUs can be good for WAY longer than 1-2 years. This 8 year old CPU trades blows with some of the Ryzen CPUs in some of the benchmarks, which is pretty crazy, when you think about it.

- - - Updated - - -

And to add... a 4TB HDD with no SSD? Are you nuts? Windows would get bogged down by all of the files it would be mixed with on that giant drive. Get the 4TB drive purely for pictures, music, etc... but for Windows OS and games, pay $120 for a 1TB SSD from Samsung or Crucial.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Fungus View Post
    As others have said the system is overkill for what you are asking. You could easily drop $1000 from your budget and still get well over what you want from WoW and D2 for years(an i5 8600k and 1070TI will pretty much murder these games). Where you might get value in what you are building is if you are planning to do some heavy streaming or future proofing your computer for other AAA gaming titles you might buy. The first response was pretty spot on and I would definitely buy a 500g+ SSD if you are spending this much and don't bother going for 2x gpus.
    I have a dedicated SSD (* Corsair Force LE200 240GB (for the OS and gaming)
    tge 4TB is for storage only, but I upgraded mny ssd slightly....

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the current list of stuff...

* Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 256MB 4TB (storage only)
    * Asus DRW-24D5MT (was toying with the idea of a blue-ray burner)
    * Corsair HX1000i 1000W
    * Samsung 860 EVO Series MZ-76E1T0B 1TB (1TB for os and games)
    * Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming

anything lacking?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a dedicated SSD (* Corsair Force LE200 240GB (for the OS and gaming)
    tge 4TB is for storage only, but I upgraded mny ssd slightly....

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the current list of stuff...

* Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 256MB 4TB (storage only)
    * Asus DRW-24D5MT (was toying with the idea of a blue-ray burner)
    * Corsair HX1000i 1000W
    * Samsung 860 EVO Series MZ-76E1T0B 1TB (1TB for os and games)
    * Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming

anything lacking?
    You won't really get any appreciable difference going from a 9700k to a 9900k in gaming, but you will notice a difference going from a 2070 to a 2080 (depending on monitor). Your PSU is a lot bigger than it needs to be, you could get away with a 750 and still have plenty of headroom. Not a fan of ASUS' BIOS, but the Strix z390-f is fine. Their VRM's are bad though, don't expect to push your CPU higher than 5.0/5.1 all cores

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You won't really get any appreciable difference going from a 9700k to a 9900k in gaming, but you will notice a difference going from a 2070 to a 2080 (depending on monitor). Your PSU is a lot bigger than it needs to be, you could get away with a 750 and still have plenty of headroom. Not a fan of ASUS' BIOS, but the Strix z390-f is fine. Their VRM's are bad though, don't expect to push your CPU higher than 5.0/5.1 all cores
    I anticipate to add another graphics card in about a month or two after this so I wanna have plenty of room even after one or two graphics cards in the future. The worry I have then will be heating, in the case, what can I do to lower it?

I was tempted adding 2 old graphics cards just for some bitcoin mining, for fun....

Oh and about the monitor, I got an AOC 144mhz monitor so I hope it will finally reach its potential.
    Last edited by Jotunhammer; 2018-12-04 at 03:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I anticipate to add another graphics card in about a month or two after this so I wanna have plenty of room even after one or two graphics cards in the future. The worry I have then will be heating, in the case, what can I do to lower it?

I was tempted adding 2 old graphics cards just for some bitcoin mining, for fun....

Oh and about the monitor, I got an AOC 144mhz monitor so I hope it will finally reach its potential.
    If you want to add another graphics card in SLI, you cannot use the 2070. It doesn't have the connector. Also, don't bother mining bitcoins on your GPU. it's a complete waste of power, you're stupidly outmatched by ASIC miners, even old obsolete ones. You might have better luck with other coins, but not anything to write home about. As for heating: As long as you leave some room between the cards it should be fine.

As for the monitor: If it's a 1080p 144hz, you'll probably max it out with a 2070, if it's 1440p 144hz, getting a 2080 is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you want to add another graphics card in SLI, you cannot use the 2070. It doesn't have the connector. Also, don't bother mining bitcoins on your GPU. it's a complete waste of power, you're stupidly outmatched by ASIC miners, even old obsolete ones. You might have better luck with other coins, but not anything to write home about. As for heating: As long as you leave some room between the cards it should be fine.

As for the monitor: If it's a 1080p 144hz, you'll probably max it out with a 2070, if it's 1440p 144hz, getting a 2080 is a good idea
    ahh, but if I go the 2080, I go over my budget. and I was not planning on SLI. I only want the one for now.

in the future I might upgrade to a 2080, when next bonanza of cash appears.

10+ Year Old Account
    ahh, but if I go the 2080, I go over my budget. and I was not planning on SLI. I only want the one for now.

in the future I might upgrade to a 2080, when next bonanza of cash appears.
    Spending full price on a 2080 when you have a 2070 is probably not worth it (You're looking at a 10-15% improvement), at that point I'd advice waiting until the 3080 / whatever it's going to be called in 12-18 months.

This all goes down either this week or at the very latests for the christmas days sales.
    So thats why I am pushing for to get a done system that will last me...

10+ Year Old Account
    Downgrade the I9-9900k to an I7-9700k.
    Upgrade the RTX 2070 to an RTX 2080.

Personally, I would go Tridentz cl14 instead of the RAM you have but those you choose are good enough. Also, RAM-speed does not matter too much in an Intel setup.
    I would also recommend Gigabytes z390 boards instead, they are really the top of the line in this series.
    EDIT: also that PSU is overkill.
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2018-12-05 at 12:27 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

So guys, I been dieted the list a bit, let me think what you think...

Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 (Svart/Orange/Transparent)
    Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB (BLE2C8G4D32BEEAK)
    Asus DRW-24D5MT(questionable if I need this)
    Corsair Hydro H100x (2x120mm) or should I Corsair Hydro H115i Pro RGB (2x140mm)
    Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
    Intel Core i7 9700K 3,6GHz Socket 1151-2 Box without Cooler
    Corsair RM750X V2 750W
    Samsung 860 EVO Series MZ-76E500B 500GB
    MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Armor HDMI 3xDP 8GB

and here is the goal....
    WOW at the LOWEST to be 50 fps (at ultra) with addons running addons is basically dbm and the necessary
    Destiny 2 (ultra setting)

and I got a G2460F AOC 144 Mhz 1080p screen

this is the BASE that I will be upgrading with about 300 euro per month and what would be the first 5 upgrades youd suggest.

You don't need a disk drive unless you plan on watching movies on your PC, you can get all of the mobo software online after installing windows, commercial copys of windows from example best buy come with Windows 10 on a USB drive.
    Or you can buy a External CD drive that you can just plug in, use once and store in a drawer for future use.

I would recommend the Noctuna DH-15 or DH-15S instead of water cooling, but im biased against water cooling.
    I wouldn't go with an ASUS motherboard this generation, Gigabytes line is far superior, only thing asus did better was the BIOS layout and maybe the AI automatic overclocking, but the actual build quality of asus's z390s are bad.

You should grab a Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 SSD instead of a SATA 860evo SSD.
    It's way faster, the motherboard you posted has two M.2 slots, gigabytes z390's all have 2 or 3 m.2 slots.
    https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compar...93995vsm428560

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    Downgrade the I9-9900k to an I7-9700k.
    Upgrade the RTX 2070 to an RTX 2080.

Personally, I would go Tridentz cl14 instead of the RAM you have but those you choose are good enough. Also, RAM-speed does not matter too much in an Intel setup.
    I would also recommend Gigabytes z390 boards instead, they are really the top of the line in this series.
    EDIT: also that PSU is overkill.
    the CL14 isn't that much better, hes better off spending any loose cash on a 2080 instead of a 2070.
    And a M.2 NVME SSD
    Agreed on the PSU and the i7 9700k, the i9 9900k is overpriced trash.
    750W PSU is perfect for futureproofing
    And I suggest the Corsair RMx 2018 edition(It's smaller and has higher quality internals than the old version)
    Amazon and Newegg make it sorta difficult to find the 2018 edition
    Last edited by Daethz; 2018-12-05 at 10:11 PM.